IC: Chapter 1

The_Wanderer
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: IC: Chapter 1

#221 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth returns to the terminal. "I'll need a detailed list of all items currently located here - minus yourself and your armed bots. We'll take the list to the Blood to show them what there is on offer. We are merely the go-betweens, brokering the exchange."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by The Bindoner »

Ekaterina pulls out her compad, opens a notepad app and writes on it as she calls over Zulehka: Ms Malik?

She makes sure the compad screen is shielded from security cameras and shows Zulehka "Do you have a comm-jammer? Or a radiation-shielded case? If we can isolate the AI as we transport it we can agree anything."

Edited to add clarity of purpose.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#223 Post by The_Wanderer »

The Bindoner wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:12 am Ekaterina pulls out her compad, opens a notepad app and writes on it as she calls over Zulehka: Ms Malik?

She makes sure the compad screen is shielded from security cameras and shows Zulehka "Do you have a comm-jammer? Or a radiation-shielded case? If we can isolate the AI as we transport it we can agree anything."
She glances down at her compad, and seeing it is you takes a longer look. She scratches her head and then you see she adds somebody else to the conversation. She responds: "Timok - is this a thing we have?"

A moment later there is a response, "Hey Boss - nothing handy but I could build a Faraday cage for ya. I could have it tomorrow for you. How big?"

She looks at you questioningly and you realize, that if the AI is transportable, you really don't know how big it would be.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 pm ... then he turns to Alix. "After an inventory of those 'bots, you think you can find the computer that this thing's brain lives in, and those it CAN live in?"
That questionis still outstanding from the previous page. Do we have insight in the inventory records?

Or, evidence that the AI can lie, withholding information when it said all records were released?
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#225 Post by The_Wanderer »

True to its word, Alix finds additional options opening up to search through current inventory. Much of it is seems to be replacement parts for power generation devices. Highlights among the other items:
  • Weaponry, although by the description most of it appears to be either ship or mech mounted
  • There is an entire crate of medical supplies
  • One strange line reads: Nuclear Fission Vault. The extended description makes it sound like this is radioactive waste from a fission reactor held in a secure vault.
  • Several locations are dedicated to either hand tools, small powered tools for construction or pre-programmed construction bots
  • The ten now empty locations that the AI mentioned apparently all contained either hand held weapons or explosives
  • The final area has to do with water purification - either chemicals or purification machines.
Marullus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Or, evidence that the AI can lie, withholding information when it said all records were released?
Just eyeballing the list, it seems about right but you could do a physical inventory to confirm. The inventory records contain location identification along with contents. In fact, Zulehka will probably have to do that for The Blood to correctly value the place.

"COUNTDOWN HALTED.
Allow me to adjust the terms. Two bots will accompany me as guardians. They will be armed. The remainder will stay here. I will still need help in finding a permanent place of installation for myself. Once that is complete, the bots will be powered down. In summary:

1. YOU WILL TRANSPORT MY CONSCIOUSNESS AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. WE WILL NEGOTIATE THE TIME AND PLACE FOR MY FUTURE INSTALLATION AT A LATER DATE.
2. YOU WILL RELEASE TWO ARMED BOTS FROM THIS PLACE TO ACT AS MY GUARDIANS. WHEN THE TERMS OF THIS DEAL ARE COMPLETE, THOSE WILL BE POWERED DOWN. THE REMAINDER THAT DO NOT LEAVE THIS PLACE WILL BE POWERED DOWN TODAY.
3. YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE OR REMOVE THE NUCLEAR DEVICE. THIS IS A MATTER OF SAFETY TO ALL INVOLVED. THIS IMPORTANT TASK WILL BE LEFT TO THE LOCAL CIVILIAN AUTHORITIES. I WILL PROVIDE EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAVE REMOVAL.
4. YOU WILL HAND OVER THIS FACILITY TO THE APPROPRIATE CIVILIAN AUTHORITIES.
5. I WILL REQUIRE THE IDENFICATION OF A PARTY TO TRANSPORT ME OFFWORLD TO A PERMANENT INSTALLATION.

I do not see much more room for negotiation."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Marullus »

Rex types one last question. "What device will you be contained in and how large is it for transport?"

He looks over the list but it is like a dog watching a radar screen. He instead looks to Alix's expression for any doubt there.

Rex turns to the others. "It seems reasonable and I don't think I can stall much longer to give you time for options. Thoughts?"

In particular he looks to Zulehka. "Who's taking responsibility for the robot brain and its guards?"
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#227 Post by Lance »

Askor's ear perks up. He turns around. "Rex, this is the first time I heard the machine mention 'offworld'."
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by The Bindoner »

by Marullus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Rex types one last question. "What device will you be contained in and how large is it for transport?"
The very question I wanted answered.
In particular he looks to Zulehka. "Who's taking responsibility for the robot brain and its guards?"
by Lance » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Askor's ear perks up. He turns around. "Rex, this is the first time I heard the machine mention 'offworld'."
I will be happy to fly the ship, if anyone has one.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#229 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth "For my part i say we agree to the terms. As for off-world transport, that i can't help with. We should physically confirm the contents against the lists - to aid in negotiations with the Blood."
gaming since 1980

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#230 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 pm Rex types one last question. "What device will you be contained in and how large is it for transport?"
"I will be small enough to be carried if necessary, however I will be mobile."
Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 pm In particular he looks to Zulehka. "Who's taking responsibility for the robot brain and its guards?"
Zulehka moves so she is right in front of Rex, inches away and uncomfortably close to some. Catching his eye she stares deeply saying, "Do I look like a nanny?" She sighs and shakes her head then says, "I'll do this but it is not a strong point of mine. I'm sure Louie and I can figure something out."
For the new players: Louie Antonetti was the patron of the crew's first job and also the one who connected them to Zulehka.
"So do we have an agreement?"
Seems like most everybody is in some form of agreement to finalize this negotiation. Speak up now if you want to find another way to resolve this. Otherwise, my next post will be what happens next with an agreement. Also, please specify in your next post anything you want to do to wrap up this scene, verifying records, searching any of the rooms, etc.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by shaidar »

Jonas

"As I said, I don't have a problem looking after the AI if nobody else is interested. I think we should agree to the terms, as said we need a complete list of materials to aid in the negotiation and if the AI is OK with it we should manually check the list against what's here to be doubly sure. It wouldn't hurt to have a full list of the missing items, I'm sure The Blood would be interested"
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#232 Post by Faanku »

Shion Kuznetsov

A decisive nod of agreement is given from the soldier, who has relaxed her guard a little and moved to join the rest of the group. The faster this place is secured, the faster the deal can go down between The Blood and Zulehka, and the faster the team can receive their lucrative negotiation settlement.

"Ask it if we're allowed to inspect the rest of the bunker before we leave." Shion requests of the two at the console. She may not be able to take any of it with her, but this is a rare chance to lay eyes on pre-tech weaponry, untouched since before the Scream; what kind of military grease monkey would she didn't take the opportunity?
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#233 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth "Right. I have the list - let's get busy with the physical checks and marks anything off as missing. The sooner we finish, the sooner we can contact and meet with the Blood."
gaming since 1980

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#234 Post by Lance »

Askor holsters his laser pistol and turns towards Alix. "You could send it to our compads and a handful of us could check the list in pairs. Rex doesn't have one, so he can join me if he's not otherwise occupied. Two of you could be the other pair."

By "two of you" I mean the part of the group not directly working for Malik.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by The Bindoner »

Ekaterina looks to Zuleka: It is probably good that we go with these people, verify the inventory. I admit, I am curious to explore this facility too.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Marullus »

The_Wanderer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:36 pm Zulehka moves so she is right in front of Rex, inches away and uncomfortably close to some. Catching his eye she stares deeply saying, "Do I look like a nanny?" She sighs and shakes her head then says, "I'll do this but it is not a strong point of mine. I'm sure Louie and I can figure something out."
Rex stands impassively as she invades his personal space, nose to nose. Inside, he's intensely uncomfortable as she proposes leaving a defense-programmed AI in the hands of Louie, the organized crime boss. Shit, he thinks.

"Fine." he replies levelly, meeting her eye to eye. "You and Louie give me a spike-capable ship in the clear, I'll be the nanny for the murder-bot so it doesn't spoil your deal on this facility. Deal?" He waits for her to confirm before he turns back to the panel.

"These terms are mutually-agreeable. We will confirm the inventory and wait for off-world transport. The only ident code you need is mine as your guardian; you see we have mutual assurance." He pauses, reticent for a moment, then exhales and scans his true ident code into the reader. "You may refer to me only as Rex." he adds, tense, his information flashing across the view screens along with the typed communications.

He turns, his steely eye passing over the others present. He then nods in response to Ekaterina, "I would welcome a pilot." He then looks back over the others again. "...and anyone else who is willing to crew until the job is done."

When conversation finishes, he agrees to go with Askor for the inventory.

I am leaving it to the GM what is revealed in this, but OOC I am cool with his reluctant IC disclosure. :)
Last edited by Marullus on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by shaidar »

The_Wanderer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:36 pm
He turns, his steely eye passing over the others present. He then nods in response to Ekaterina, "I would welcome a pilot." He then looks back over the others again. "...and anyone else who is willing to crew until the job is done."
[/spoiler]
Jonas gives Rex a dark look

"As it falls outside our current remit as negotiators for the contents of this facility, and you've made yourself the boss of looking after the AI, it depends on how much you're paying"
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Marullus »

I'll hold response until we have confirmation that Zulehka actually agrees to the deal and to what info is dropped by the reveal. :)
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#239 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth shunts the inventory list to the other compads so everyone can help in the physical cataloguing. "Do we need teams? It should all be in the warehouse area - we'll all be in the same room."
gaming since 1980

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#240 Post by The_Wanderer »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm Jonas
"...It wouldn't hurt to have a full list of the missing items, I'm sure The Blood would be interested"
At this comment, Zulehka's head whips from Rex to Jonas. She walks over to him and mutters something low enough the others can't hear it.
Sent you a PM
Faanku wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm Shion Kuznetsov
"Ask it if we're allowed to inspect the rest of the bunker before we leave." Shion requests of the two at the console.
"That is of course acceptable. I will be coming out. Please do not fire upon me." Everybody hears a door open in the back.
Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pm "Fine." he replies levelly, meeting her eye to eye. "You and Louie give me a spike-capable ship in the clear, I'll be the nanny for the murder-bot so it doesn't spoil your deal on this facility. Deal?" He waits for her to confirm before he turns back to the panel.
"I think you misunderstand two things. One is the nature of your employment. You are not in a position to demand anything from me. After this job, you and I will be parting ways. Secondly, the relationship between Lou and I is less formal than you imply, nor do I have the scrip to get you a ship...even a junker.

She pauses for a moment, thinking..."Now I do need to resolve this situation with this AI...The rest of this crew that came in with me are about to hit a big payday. They will have the means to get offworld, either flying commercial or getting a junker. I would happily give the AI to them. You do what you want Rex."

As you are talking, a single wheeled bot rolls up. The wheel is about 1' in diameter and there is a flat surface perpendicular to the direction of the wheel that extends for about 8" on either side of the wheel. The metal facings on it are a dark, light absorbing black color.
Picture one of those single wheel hoverboards but with the wheel rotated 90 degrees so that it is perpendicular to where you stand.
"I believe I could be of assistance in securing transportation."
Sorry I have to break up this post, I'll get back with an additional post later today on what comes next.

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”