Ptolemy's Scriptorium

DexterWard
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Ptolemy's Scriptorium

#1 Post by DexterWard »

This space will be used by the characters periodically throughout the campaign. It's primary purpose will be for activities that happen in Ptolemy's Scriptorium. Such as:
  • A re-group or planning space (3rd floor) for the Investigators
  • A posting board for the Keeper (GM) for plot hooks and leads: (newspaper articles, radio broadcasts, letters, telegrams, etc.)
  • A place where certain NPC's with relations to the party might engage with the Investigators
  • A place where potential plot/lead NPC's might come to engage the Investigators for assistance/work
Basically...Use this space outside of specific adventure actions. If the investigators need to re-group and discuss next steps in Ptolemy's Scriptorium, then make posts here If you want. I will primarily be using this space to provide plot hooks, updates to those plot hooks, etc. NPC's that engage the Investigators outside of an adventure will engage the Investigators here in this thread. My intent is that there will be multiple threads happening simultaneously. Some will be long plot, and some short. It should be pretty clear which ones are which. Additionally, you may want to attend events that happen during a current adventure, such as special museum exhibits, etc. One example of an update to a plot would be additional newspaper articles or radio broadcasts that provide updates/information or escalations to the current adventure. An example of a special museum exhibit might be a new mummy, ancient tome/scroll, or artifact viewing that will only be in town for a few weeks, but might ultimately provide info for a long plot, or give a new plot thread that would come up in a later adventure.

That sounds complicated, but you won't have to remember everything, I will provide info as needed to tie everything together for the group. In fact it won't really be that complicated at all or else I would get lost ;)

The next post (coming on the heels of this one) will include a pic of the front of the store. At some point I think I will put together floor plans for the building as we may have adventures that involve the store.If you guys want to change the picture or add details for the floor plans, just shout them out.

Questions/Comments?

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Ptolemy's Scriptorium

#2 Post by DexterWard »

Ptolemy's Scriptorium
Date & Time: Saturday, August 28th, 1927 – 2:00 pm
Weather: 75°F; Scattered Clouds; Wind 10 mph from NW
Sunrise/Sunset: 6:05am – 7:24pm

A four-story Brownstone on Massachusetts Avenue across from Harvard Yard, in sight of the Widener Library, (whose stacks are only exceeded by the Library of Congress) is one of the better shops in Cambridge for general occult volumes. It’s resident cat, Midnight, is currently roaming around the Local History stacks. There is a smattering of students from Harvard milling about, most likely doing research. A grizzled looking older man in a heavy Harris tweed jacket, with worn threadbare elbow patches, is sitting in one of the overstuffed armchairs reading a worn copy of Franz Kafka’s “The Trial.” A well-dressed young man sits nearby reading “Ancient Sorceries and Other Tales” by A. Blackwood. Outside the weather is glorious – birds chirping, a light breeze, a few passing wispy clouds.

Where are our Investigators presently?
_ Ptolemys_Scriptorium.png
_ Ptolemys_Scriptorium.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1084 times
Johann_Gilbert_Hanz._40jpg.jpg
Johann_Gilbert_Hanz._40jpg.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
William_Thelwall_Thomas_50.jpg
William_Thelwall_Thomas_50.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Bluehorse »

Wayne

The bell on the back door chimes and Wayne is actually coming in, subtle as usual. RUPE! HEEEEY RUPE!!! You in here?!

He walks into the public area and squints as his eyes adjust. She is wiping grease and oil off his hands with a rag while carrying a small grocery bag. He seems to get off what he meant to, not that many could tell. He was in an old set of overalls, stained by many hours of automotive work. He stuff the rag into his back pocket after dabbing off his forehead. Hey, you guys... he up there? he points up the stairs. Whether meaning to or not, he doesn't wait for their reply and heads up the stairs.

Rupe?

There is a long Pause as he makes it to the next level of the establishment. Possibly giving the patrons down stairs hope that there would be peace and they could return to their reading.

HOWARD? HOWARD, YOU HERE? he thumped around a bit up stairs and from the sound of it either knocked something over or dropped something heavy enough to thud on the second level floor, which would be the patron's ceiling. Oops... I got that... Just a minute...

Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle.... THUD! Dag nabit...! Shuffle, shuffle, THUMP THUMP THUMP!

I got it! RUPE? HOWARD?

CHIP? Level by level he made his way up stairs until he was in the top floor where they usually met where he plomped down in a chair likely costing more than he knew and put the grocery bag between his feet. Whistle! Hey! Mr. Jangles! Look what I got for ya... huh?
I know you're up here cause that creepy cat is down there... Commere... Got some good stuff for you and me.
he takes out a small jar of very jam and some crackers, waiting on his mouce friend to come join him.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

"...is more of a title, in truth. In proper Egyptian, Menes means 'one who endures.' It has been quite a debate with my colleagues, in truth, as I am of the opinions that the Menes named as the first true Pharoah and unifier of North and South Egypt is actually the same king as Narmer, or 'the old stinging catfish' as I was fond of calling him during our first digs above Thebes." the old man chuckles at his own joke, but the pair of students he's talking to only give each other a nervous laugh and a glance at each other. Dr. Twaddle leans on his cane and says pspspsps to the black cat that crouches under the study table. "But yes, he would appreciate you calling him Menes as a proper name, he answers to it better at least, than those who insist on the moniker of Midnight." He entices the cat with a bit of a treat from his pocket and pets the cat behind the ear. The pair of students is gone when he straightens back up, his back still having an awkward hunch. The wild-haired old man looks confused for a moment, then reasserts himself, straightens his wire spectacles, and makes his way through the bottom floor of the store, nodding and greeting each patron who makes eye contact.

The old professor sighs in exasperation as he hears Wayne entering at the back and making a rukus, allowing him to head upstairs without responding to him. Instead, he looks in interest over the shop forefront, surveying his domain. Perhaps today someone will indeed purchase a book. That would be good for the damned ledgers.

Does he recognize either of the two individuals?

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by DexterWard »

DB1.png
DB1.png (51.35 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

I will work on the format for these as we move forward. But wanted to get this one out here today. I have several other things I will be posting this weekend related to scenarios/leads. Then you all can decide what seems most intriguing/urgent

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by DexterWard »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:48 am Does he recognize either of the two individuals?
The older gentleman you recognize. He comes in regularly of recent (every few days). You spoke once, he shared his name but not much else (Johann). He seems to be the type that takes his time to get to know a person before he opens up. He’s quiet but well-spoken with a strong Austrian accent. Your short conversation with him leads you to believe he is highly intelligent and reserved. Every time he comes to the store, that you know of, he picks out one book – typically very old subjects/books (his favorites), but occasionally, like today, a new but highly spoken of book. He always reads a few chapters before buying, but always buys exactly one book, and typically chooses only one to sit and read, which he then buys. He has browsed most of the sections but prefers those on ancient topics (history, cultures, arts, philosophy, scholarly, religions, literature, etc.). He never interacts with other patrons and when reading never looks away from his book. You cannot be sure whether the younger gentlemen is with him or not, and have not seen him before. They came separately and have not spoken a word (either of them).

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

The bell on the front door opens and there is a hesitation and apparently, some effort as something thumps in over the threshold. Margery Anne Carter, the well known local philanthropist, socialite, and some said cult leader rolled her way into the shop, craning her neck to look around as she spun to shut the door behind herself. Would it hurt a dewdropper to help a lady? No, no... everyone stay seated. I certainly am. Hello Doctor. she wheeled over, the frail-looking but spunky young woman maneuvered her chair expertly with a lifetime of practice towards where he was lecturing.

Have you read the news today? he hands him a copy of the paper from her purse. We might need to head upstairs and discuss this one, if you follow. No offense, gents, she says to the students. but I think I need to borrow your doctor here for a bit. Why don't you head to the pitch and impress some nice young thing with nothing better to do but spend your kale.

Considering the young men dismissed, she turns back to Dr. Twaddle. I have something concerning this that we need to talk about. We can't do it where others can hear.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by DexterWard »

Mr. Jangles (the mouse): Honorary member of The Investigators

Mr. Jangles, recognizing Wayne’s voice and signature heavy foot, pokes his nose out of a small hole, strategically located beneath a low squatting bookcase in the NW corner of the room, and sniffs the air before running across the room and climbing Wayne’s chair to eat the jam and cracker on his knee. His little nose twitches back and forth as he eats, stopping to look about the room every few seconds, knowing full well that Midnight might slink in at any moment. In the event that it happens, Mr. Jangles with dart to Wayne’s coat pocket, or other loose fabric to hide, hoping Wayne will protect him from the ferocious bloodthirsty cat.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by DexterWard »

Ptolemy's Scriptorium
Date & Time: Saturday, August 28th, 1927 – 2:15 pm
Weather: 75°F; Scattered Clouds; Wind 10 mph from NW
Sunrise/Sunset: 6:05am – 7:24pm

Around 2:15 pm a Western Union messenger boy, with a well worn cap and stern demeanor, enters Ptolemy's Scriptorium, stands at attention in the entryway, and calls out in a firm confident voice: Telegram for one R. Twaddle!

The boy repeats the announcement every 30 seconds until Dr. Twaddle accepts the telegram. He will hand over the telegram to no one other than Dr. Twaddle, accepting only official government issued identification; and once delivered he will proffer a gloved hand, parallel to the floor, and await his compensation patiently but with resolution.

WU_Messenger_Boy.png
WU_Messenger_Boy.png (59.67 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Telegram
N_Cobb_Telegram_Aug_22_1927.png
N_Cobb_Telegram_Aug_22_1927.png (191.86 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

Chip
Shortly after Miss Carter enters, an intense young man enters *ding-ding*. He's wearing last year's suit, trying hard to look like he's in style. He takes a worn fedora off, carrying it in his left hand. A battered camera hangs over his right shoulder, the chrome dull and the black paint chipped. He weaves among the stacks of books on the floor and the readers at their tables. He pauses once, to thumb through an old book with a faded green cover, then heads upstairs.
When he gets to the third-floor meeting room, he finally smiles. Yowza! Glad we're all here- I've found something that I want to look into. My editor thinks it's a nothing story, but a real reporter know these things. Some rich young Jasper at Harvard got killed- his tongue is black!
FA FO

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

Dr. Rupert Twaddle

The antiquarian smiles kindly as Ms. Margery Carter approaches him, having not yet reached the front of the store. "Ahhh yes, Ms. Carter, a grateful ray of light to grace us this fine afternoon. What what?" he pauses, looking over the article she shows him. "...torn out by its root and buried in the rough sands of the sea..." he murmurs to himself, then shakes his head, refocusing himself. "Yes, yes, of course, Ms. Carter. I will be up forthwith." He nods to the erstwhile students, the cat scampering away from the wheeled contrivance in which she sits. "Chip, if you could accompany Ms. Carter up the elevator?" He politely excuses himself to finish checking the front of the shop before going upstairs to join them.

Approaching the front of the store, he smiles at Evie, his shop assistant. She newly attends the Annex admitted on his recommendation. She has a promising mind, worked for him the last two years, and the interest of many young Harvard Men in the shop is likely attributed to her presence at the counter. Rupert doesn't mind; he needs all the help with the business that he can get and she is able enough at managing the counter as he is apt to wander elsewhere. "Good afternoon, Ms. Evie," he greets her cheerfully. "It seems I will be adjourning to conference. Will you mind the front and close up when you leave? Good, good..." he avers absently as she confirms, stating she has an engagement for dinner and shall lock up in an hour or two.
Evie at Bookstore.png
Evie at Bookstore.png (28.11 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
He squints suspiciously at the actual sunlight coming through the wide front windows, pursing his lips and turning to see the others in the overstuffed chairs. "Guten abend, Johann," he greets the older gentleman. "So glad to have you... Khafka is it? A shame, his demise. Though such things do tend to bring a mystique to their published works." He smiles. "I seldom read fiction, of course. Coffee? Tea? Evie can see to you, perhaps another hour or so."

When Johann has finished, he turns to engage pleasantries with the young man reading Blackwood, but is interrupted mid-greeting by the boy at the door. "Yes, yes... I am he, no need for shouting, yes, yes... Twaddle, RUPERT Twaddle..." Finding his assertion of identity insufficient, he fishes among his pockets, finding two handkerchiefs, a pipe and pouch, a small notepad, three stubby pencils, a handful of pocket change, and at last a worn and folded billing invoice with a postal envelope that bears his name. "No, I DON'T carry a government identification, who does? Is this a war?" he scoffs. Flustered and flushed, he finally receives the telegram, adjusts his spectacles, and pores over it.

His large, furry eyebrows arch as he reads it, hopeful for the prospect. "Nahant?" he murmurs to himself. "That will take all morning to drive there. Through Lynn, at that. Best take Trusty. I do need new shoes, hrm. They should know, at least, I shan't work on Mondays, either."

He sees the boy standing with gloved hand extended. Dr. Twaddle scoffs and balks a moment, his inward offense at the presumption of tipping. "Yes, yes, good lad to pursue a trade than the beggar's sixpence. One moment, one moment," he grouses, preparing a written note with his stubby pencil and notepad, then tearing out the sheet.

Code: Select all

To N. Cobb, Nahant
Expect arrival for luncheon on Tuesday STOP
Terms are 1% of collection as private transfer and 30% commission on remaining consignment STOP
Counting the words, he decides to send no more and he apportions the fee for the telegraph office. He then places an extra quarter in the lad's hand with it. "Now, straight back and see the message is delivered, yes?" He insists on receiving the lad's name as well (with a jab at 'not needing to see his government identification') and then sends him on his way. "Grammar school, lad," he calls out as a last word. "Too young," he shakes his head, continuing the conversation presumably with himself.

Still flustered by the exchange and the relative tizzy of activity occuring during the last 15 minutes, he absently mutters some excuses and retires to the elevator himself, ascending to the 3rd floor to join the others.

On the Third Floor...

Dr. Twaddle grumbles and curses under his breath as he struggles to get the elevator door and gate to open. When he at last joins his gathered companions, he takes a moment to compose himself and pour a cup of tea for his nerves. He adjusts the oil lamps and replaces the water on the tiled stove that stands against the wall, still refusing to have electricty added to the building.

"Wayne, do you have a motor vehicle that is operational? Yes? Would you be able to drive out to Nahant on Tuesday? An inheritor has a library collection, and well, I could certainly use some improved consignment stock in the shop. I hope they're not faffing around, but if they pay for a telegraph boy... at least it'sa free lunch," he trails off, losing his thought as he sees the others looking at the newspaper.

"Quite right -- curiosities in our own Yard, as it were, must be properly pondered. Chip, do you know if they've addressed the medical causes? I thought the black tongue epidemic was only happening in southern states."

He brightens. "There was an exquisite record we found in the Tell Nebesheh dig -- I was there with Flinders and Hilda -- where they recorded the excising of the tongue for speaking out of turn and false witness, feeding the tongue to the cats at the temple to honor Bastet, and..." he trails off. "But yes, a blackened tongue, you say? 'Stained' black? Quite a difference if naturally black, putrified black, dyed black..." He turns to Ms. Carter. "Your thoughts, Ms. Carter? Or... has the cat got your tongue?" He chuckles, finding this funny.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Bluehorse »

Margery nods with a smart rise of her eyebrow as he read over the article. I had a feeling that would tickle your fancy, Dr. Twaddle. Oh, also do you have my book order ready? I'd like to have it packaged up before I ankle out of here later.

She turns to look to Chip when he comes inside. Charles dear, you've been scooped, but don't worry, I have something with me that might get you a jump on tomorrow's post. When Dr. Twaddle suggest the reporter accompany her up the elevator to the 3rd floor she quietly allows the young man to wheel her to the elevator and operate the functions. I do hope the Doctor has fixed this contraption. I do not want to get stuck in here. Even if it were with a handsome young man. Bet the papers would enjoy that little scandal. What do you think, Charles?

When Dr. Twaddle. And I assume others make their way up to the 3rd Floor, Margery is already browsing the Doctors personal collection and reading through a tome on the Seers of Egypt.

Wayne looks up from feeding Mr. Jangles jam and crackers when Dr. Twaddle ask about a car and grins. [dialogue]You bet! Just got done readjusting the valves and she is running like a top! It'll be good to take her for a ride and see how she handles on the road. Nahant on Tuesday, huh? Sounds like fun! I'll keep things open. Does it say anything about what kinds of books he's going to have? I hope he has some good stuff, I'm 'bout done with what I brought from home. Read some on airplanes that was interesting. You know most of them use diesel engines? I don't know why, but I'd have thought they'd be more complicated than that. Been looking at some of that Greek History too. Maybe I'll get lucky! You know they had all kinds of weird stuff in there, like one-eyed giants and walkin' talkin' cows that belong to some sun god? Talk about funny.[/dialog] he grins. At least the Doctor knew he had a ride on Tuesday. What else does it say is getting sold off? Folks can usually find to good stuff at these sorts of sales.

Black Tongue? Yuck... Hope this isn't something that's catching. Last thing we need is some pandemic spreading about.

Margery closes the book, leaving it in her lap for now. She shoots a disapproving eye at Wayne. Mr. Bennet, I do with you would stop encouraging that rodent to stick around. It might be carrying just the pandemic your worried about. Have you ever heard of the Black Death? Mice with fleas spread it.

Wayne Rats.

Margery Rats?

Wayne looks up at her with a friendly smile The fleas were spread by Rats, not mice like Mr. Jangles.

Margery rolls her eyes. Whatever. she waved him off dismissively. The reason I asked you all to come here sound connected to this death in the paper. I was contacted by a friend of mine by the name of Walter Resnick. His mother was a member of my little social club. He was a good boy. His father was a bit of a drugstore cowboy with a hard-boiled attitude if you know what I mean. Best thing the boy's mother ever did was leave him. Well, it was good for her but turned out to be no good for Walter. Anyway, the young man remembered me from when his mother attended our socials. I didn't know him personally per say, he was the son of a friend. But he remembered me of course and when he came to me for help on a matter of his own friends, I did what I thought was right for him and by my friendship with him mother. Anyway, he turned 18 some time back, moved out of his father's house and was doing well for himself. He was able to get on at Harvard, and I can tell you he was doing well and turning into a real Harvard man. Then he came to me starting a few weeks ago about his trouble fitting in. You all know success is not always measured in grades and the books you have read, but I heard him out and offered to introduce him to some friends, someone who might be able to take him under their wing, you see? Well, he wasn't having it, so I told him he was still welcome to come visit, hoping he would change his mind. It never heard to know a banker or a judge as a contact, you know? So over the last few weeks, things get weird. He has a small group of "friends" she makes air quotations. and at first everything seems fine, but somehow or another they get ahold of some drugs. Now I am all about a little giggle water or other pick me up now and again, but I could tell he was rattled. This was some serious stuff and the changes were quick. He said they didn't act themselves, didn't take care of themselves anymore... really fell to pieces in a hurry. Thing is, they always wanted him to do it will them. Same old story right? Wrong!

He refuses the stuff. He called it The Black. Now let that sink in a minute, because this is when things get interesting. Now this sounds like he was going to get sucked in and have the same sap story that every dropout ever gives. But this young man was doing good for himself. Never once asked for a handout. Ever. He had cut off communication with his father, or so he said. I think it was the other way around. See, his dad found god some years back and since Walter wasn't attending anymore and heading to college, it wasn't a part of his father's plan. But he was making it on his own. Got a job at a butcher's shop and was a hard worker. Paying his own way. A real American story. I was proud of him!

So the interesting part. His friends are hooked. Bad. I even offered to have him stay on at the Gatehouse at my place just to get some more distance from them. He refused. That was the last time I heard from him directly. I hired someone to keep an eye on him. I have a friend in the social group that is a Moll. She hooked me up with someone needing the cash and some clean but under the table work. Said he was starting to act nervous and looked bad, like he was not sleeping. Said his friends rarely came around but when they did, they looked like death warmed over. Like they hadn't been eating or cleaning up at all. Thing is, he was looking it too. Not as bad, but enough that the man could notice. I assumed he started on the drugs too. I paid the man and was ready to write Walter off when I got this."

She takes out a note from her purse:

He assures me he never took the stuff but from this note, safe to say he finally gave in, but that it is giving him nightmares. Have a look for yourself. He even went to the Doctor looking for help, and apparently, he is falling to pieces. So this morning I head straight over to his apartment, and wouldn't you know it, I can barely get in the door and there are stairs. I can't get anyone to help me go up and check on him. I made a fuss when the bluenose landlord wouldn't help or even go up and check himself, so he threatened to call the police. I let him know that if he didn't I certainly would, but because it is a private business, they couldn't do anything. So I gave up and started questioning the tenants coming and going. No one knew him, but finally, I found someone whose friend is Walter's neighbor. She said he had been screaming at night. All night! Plus all kinds of other sounds. But that it had stopped all of a sudden last night, nothing. Even then the landlord and police couldn't be persuaded to check on him, so I came here and spotted the paper on the way. I'm worried this will be either Walter or one of his friends, and either way, it is bad for Walter and all around. If there is something out there on the streets killing people, we need to find out what.
she hands over the letter for the group to see for themselves.
Walter_Resnick_Letter.png
Walter_Resnick_Letter.png (405.63 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
I went ahead and made a roll to see if Margery might know something relevant. Was thinking occult or psychoanalysis on Walter and what she could observe from the letter vs what she saw speaking with him in the past. Not sure what bonuses I get in the role other than the raw skill, but she certainly could get psychoanalysis, but as always, Keepers's discretion. I was trying to be efficient is all.

[1d100] = 40
Last edited by Bluehorse on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Urson »

Chip
Chip, who is normally energetic and a bit loud, is suddenly very quiet when Margery starts paying attention to him. He blushes slightly, and is very polite when speaking to her.
Scooped? Not a bit, miss- er, ma'am- uh.. That is, yeah, some other sharpie got the original story, but if I dig into it and find some blockbuster about the reasons why, I'm golden.

I can't see a Harvard boy catching black tongue- that's just for the poor sharecroppers....
Chip listens to Margery's story about her friend, and reads the note when it is passed around. He also jots a couple of notes. I knew it! It's not pellagra at all! Yowza!
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Sam

Sam comes in the front door, "Hi Evie, hows it going?" not waiting for an answer he heads upstairs.

Walking in and seeing everyone huddled around he stops, "Whats the matter? you all look a bit to serious."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Grognardsw »

Friday, August 27, 1927
221 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts

Howard Thurston looks back from his window to his desk to the latest issue of Weird Tales.

"This Egyptian fad isn’t going away, I’ll have to add that to my act," the stage magician says to himself. "I wonder if I could get some ghost writer, maybe that reporter Chip, to gin up some of my 'adventures' for the pulps? Good way of getting the word out.”

Thurston gathers up the day’s mail and gives the envelopes a cursory glance.

“Ah, Harry has written back... Bills, bills. Clark, and Robert from Texas! Good. An international post - I wonder who that could be?”

The telephone rings with a disturbing rattle that Howard still isn’t use to. But the devices are plenty useful. He picks up the receiver.

“Hello? Good afternoon Alicia! How are you?” Ms. Alicia Butterworth is Thurston’s stage assistant of three years, a bright doll with real moxy, and bubs to boot that could mesmerize an audience if his own magic ever failed. If only she’d dump that dewdropper, Thurston might consider more than a professional relationship.

“Good, good. Yes, we have a delay on that newest zombie ball gimmick. Wayne needs to adjust the wire hydraulics. So no practice this weekend. Oh yes, that was funny! He should sit on it!” Thurston laughs.

Darwin the chimpanzee waddles into the room and squawks.
“Darwin says hello. Well have a good weekend Alicia.”

Thurston turns to the final note in his mail pile, a folded piece of paper with no envelope. “Hmm, Margery wants to meet at the bookshop tomorrow…”

Saturday, August 28, 1927
Ptolemy’s Scriptorium
Harvard Sq., Cambridge, Mass

The bookshop would likely be on the block between Lindon and Plympton Streets. The site of the current Harvard Book Store.

Howard Thurston tips the taxi driver and exits the vehicle in front of Dr. Twaddle’s bookshop. He breathes in the scent of old paper and makes his way upstairs.

“Greeting all!” Thurston says to his gathered friends, Margery, Chip, Wayne, Sam and Dr. Twaddle. “Sorry I’m late.”

He listens to the conversation and looks at the telegram and letter. “Hmm, perhaps there is a connection. Can we get a medical opinion on the black tongue?”

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Dr. Rupert Twaddle

"Schizophrenia?" reads the old professor aloud. "There are far worse causes for hallucinating and hearing voices than that. I do agree it is imperative we look into this to rule out the worst of them," he intones in an oddly somber tone.

He stirs his cup of tea, pondering the evidence before them.
Occult (95/47/24) [1d100] = 58
Standard success for Occult, or as an Idea with Intellect.

He tries to stand up a bit straighter, holding the top of his cane. "I will gladly go to check on this young student, miss."

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by DexterWard »

20210106_204751.png
20210106_204751.png (105.89 KiB) Viewed 969 times

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by DexterWard »