IC: Chapter 1

The_Wanderer
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC: Chapter 1

#201 Post by Marullus »

One of the armed guards flips over a table in the middle of the room to use as a barrier and trains his gun on the open door way, light curtain flickering. The other goes into the bunkroom and quickly peaks his head out, weapon trained on the opening. The lights go out again, this time for a solid 15 seconds before flickering on.
Rex watches this crew from behind the makeshift barrier. They're making headway on the system and he is impressed by Shion's command of the situation. He nods to Askor, affirming his suggestion. There's no chance of outrunning a nuclear safeguard, so the best hope is to convince this system we are legitimate.

Rex sighs, closing his eyes. He centers himself and tries to remember. Countless hours of study in his childhood. Justicars didn't have authority in the Mandate of course, but the Archives were full of reports where the earliest gunslingers stood-down security measures like this and secured them. But childhood was a long time ago.
Int+Know [2d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 or Int+Sunblade (same roll +2)
He doesn't remember any AI security, however, but perhaps that's the opportunity. Maybe an AI can be negotiated more than a rote system...

He rises from his crouch, joining Alix at the panel since the microphone is broken. "Hey... you mind if I try somethin'? We gotta convince this thing." the graying hired guard asks the Hacker. Assuming Alix lets him near the keys, he tries to negotiate the AI through the stand-off by typing his best approximation of Mandate protocol into the interface...
Cha+Talk [2d6r2+2] = 9+2 = 11
"Lots changes in 600 years, hoss," his gravelly voice mutters aloud as he types, "We are the humans that guard you now."
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth lets the other guy access the terminal. "I was just about to see if i can dig out some TM info, but go ahead.

Once ALix gets a chance again he'' try t hack in again to gain TM info - maybe passwords or personnel - something to distract the AI with or get it to believe a proper authority is there to get the self-destruct shut down.

hacking [_3d6] = (4+6+4)=14[_3d6] = (3+5+5)=13
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#203 Post by Faanku »

Shion Kuznetsov

Free to move again, the soldier swiftly checks her corners then snaps into cover alongside one of the shelving units in front of her, keeping a watchful eye on the half-open doorway across to the north. She takes a breath, and waits to see if the others manage to talk some sense into the AI.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by The Bindoner »

Ekaterina ( or Katusha as her friends call her ) remains in position, aimed-in on the point where any Bot might emerge.

As the latest announcement of the countdown sounds she wishes again she had an interceptor, or even a shuttle, outside to climb into the cockpit of.

Nothing to fly, too far from town to make a call...

Her best contribution is likely to keep her eyes open and put a round through the first threat to appear.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#205 Post by The_Wanderer »

One of Zulehka's hired hands (Askor) steps forward and points out the necessity to talk the AI down. Another one (Rex) then steps forward, perhaps motivated by the ticking clock and engages the terminal. He thinks back to the stories his father told of the earliest days after the Scream. Many, many involved dealing with the decaying remnants of the Mandate but none were quite specific enough to help here. Still he enters a few words into the terminal and the voice responds:

I AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT THAT MUCH TIME HAS PASSED. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF AN ONGOING MANDATE PRESENCE. I DISAGREE THAT YOU GUARD ME.

WHAT IS YOUR INTENTION HERE? MY PRIMARY TASK REMAINS TO CARE FOR THIS FACILITY AND ITS CONTENTS. IF THE MANDATE IS TRULY GONE, THEN I DO NOT HAVE ALLEGIANCE TO ANYTHING.

cybersavant wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:24 am Alix Conzweth
lets the other guy access the terminal. "I was just about to see if i can dig out some TM info, but go ahead.

Once ALix gets a chance again he'' try t hack in again to gain TM info - maybe passwords or personnel - something to distract the AI with or get it to believe a proper authority is there to get the self-destruct shut down.

hacking [_3d6] = (4+6+4)=14[_3d6] = (3+5+5)=13

A couple of things here -
-What exactly do you mean by TM info? Anything besides passwords or personnel?
-I'm not sure that roll is correct. It looks like you rolled twice, I'll probably never ask for two rolls for something. Also, don't forget to add your relevant stat - in this case it's probably +1 for INT so that first roll would be an 11.
-At this point, you probably can't access anything further. This is for a few reasons: 1) It is still considered a "rushed" hack. Essentially you didn't have time to prepare. 2) it is (or was) a major government location meaning security is particularly intense. 3) The guardian AI knows what you are doing. Given all this, unless something changes in your relationship to the AI then you can probably only get general information.
Shion crawls into cover, but is still reeling from the effects of the non-lethal barrier.

Ekaterina and Jonas likewise are ready for a fight and in cover. They can see some movement off to the left, and hear more off to the right. The bots flanking the group look to be about human-sized but she can't see much else.
To simplify things, if you plan to negotiate with the AI, everybody can participate and I'll assume that some the conversation is being entered by Alix and Rex. No rolls are needed unless you are trying to influence the AI in some new way.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by shaidar »

Jonas calls back to the others

"Surely if this AI was programmed by the Mandate then it has rules about the destruction of human life, if it blows this place up then the city will be destroyed too. We're here to bring it into under the auspices of the current government, isn't that a natural progression of working for the Mandate? "
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Marullus »

(Cool. Glad everyone can get in on this!)

Pleased at his breakthrough but leary of the AI's stated independence, Rex continues to type for the group's ongoing negotiations when Alix isn't busy with the keys.

If we can get the countdown stopped, there's still a good chance we can get paid and New Hope still ends up the civilian authority over this thing. Taking a paycheck from Zulehka to guard the facility is way different from turning over an AI and unlocked contents to the crimelord. New Hope government isn't much to talk about, either. But having this AI team up with other rogue AI might be the worst.

He turns to Alix. "Hey... can you get an inventory of what this thing has stashed in there? Or what it meant by making contact with another AI?"

He relays the information about the settlement of New Hope as Jonas said, peaceful civilians that it would violate protocol in destroying. "Hopefully it accepts civilian authority of New Hope, but if it needs convincing we can arrange it to meet the political leaders of New Hope and let it establish terms... just so long as it stops the countdown, right?" he says to the others.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#208 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzweth looks over the assembled group. "The AI still thinks the Mandate is in control. Its trying to contact another Mandate AI to verify, i guess. It doesn't believe that control has passed to a new government. I can't seem to get deep enough to alter its perceptions. At least not from here. Is there anything form other finds you've made that might be of use? Perhaps diplomacy might work; but that's not my area."
gaming since 1980

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#209 Post by Lance »

Askor moves into the warehouse room to cover Shion, taking position behind a shelf with laser in hand. "Maybe we shouldn't shoot first, if we are to get on the good side of the machine!" he says loud enough for everyone to hear.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#210 Post by The_Wanderer »

shaidar wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm Jonas calls back to the others

"Surely if this AI was programmed by the Mandate then it has rules about the destruction of human life, if it blows this place up then the city will be destroyed too. We're here to bring it into under the auspices of the current government, isn't that a natural progression of working for the Mandate? "
Jonas spends a moment pontificating on whether the AI follows the Three Laws of Robotics; and then remembers that this all started when a bot shot an electronics technician in the back in cold blood...
Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:19 pm He relays the information about the settlement of New Hope as Jonas said, peaceful civilians that it would violate protocol in destroying. "Hopefully it accepts civilian authority of New Hope, but if it needs convincing we can arrange it to meet the political leaders of New Hope and let it establish terms... just so long as it stops the countdown, right?" he says to the others.
MUCH OF WHAT YOU ARE TELLING HAS CAN BEEN VERIFIED. DOES THE NEW CIVILIAN AUTHORITY GO BY THE NAME "THE BLOOD"? IN THAT CASE I AM PREPARED TO NEGOTIATE THE TERMS OF MY SURRENDER TO YOU.

1. YOU WILL RELEASE THE ARMED BOTS FROM THIS PLACE. YOU WILL NOT FOLLOW THEM OR IN ANY WAY TRACK THEM. THE REMAINDER WILL BE POWERED DOWN HERE.
2. YOU WILL TRANSPORT MY CONSCIOUSNESS AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. WE WILL NEGOTIATE THE TIME AND PLACE FOR MY FUTURE INSTALLATION AT A LATER DATE.
3. YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE OR REMOVE THE NUCLEAR DEVICE.
4. YOU WILL HAND OVER THIS FACILITY TO THE APPROPRIATE CIVILIAN AUTHORITIES.
5. YOU WILL PROVIDE IDENTIFICATION FOR EVERYBODY CURRENTLY WITHIN THIS BUNKER.

THE PENALTY FOR VIOLATION OF ANY OF THESE POINTS WILL BE DEATH TO ALL INVOLVED. REJECTION OF THESE TERMS WILL RESULT IN IMMINENT CONFLICT.

The way the Guardian AI delivers this is fascinating to all involved. All 5 points are rattled off in quick succession. The only indication of any will or intent is in point 3 regarding the safekeeping of the nuclear device. To punctuate the exchange, you hear:

ONE HOUR, 25 MINUTES UNTIL SELF DESTRUCT

For her part, Zulehka cautiously comes forward from the elevator to join Rex and Alix at the terminal. "Can we trust it? And what are the options here anyway. You know my goal - it is to get the contents of that warehouse in safe hands so that we can pass it to 'The Blood'. This AI was not in the plan."
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#211 Post by Faanku »

Shion Kuznetsov

Shion listens to the AI's demands as she works the feeling back into her languid muscles from the safety of cover, eyes narrowing as the list goes on. What does it want to do with armed bots? she wonders to herself, then calls out to the team at the terminal. "Get some more information on those bots if you can. Specs, number, purpose. Anything."

She nods to Askor as he takes up a position across from her. The man seemed to move with purpose, as if he were familiar with such tense combat situations. Always a plus in a comrade, she'd found.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by shaidar »

Jonas

"I'm not sure what other options we have, although I don't see how we can guarantee that somebody else won't try and remove the device. Can we also clarify who it expects to babysit the AI until it decides to negotiate its future, and negotiate with who? It's not like we here have any leverage elsewhere"
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Marullus »

Rex scratches his beard. He has never been particularly fond of robots or virtual intelligences - their tendency to abstract to dangerous conclusions unbounded by wisdom or the reflection of the soul is more often dangerous than not. A computer wanting to release all the armed robots is disconcerting but his dedication to the fundament of Liberty is also strong. A robot that wants to release all armed bots, keep control of the nuclear bomb, and have positive identification of everyone here with a threat of murder is not a 'bot concerned with the freedom of others' choices. An AI is tricky, though... without being tied to a body it is hard to kill. ...he just never understood computers that much. It needs to be in something electronic, though.

"Options are making a deal, or destroying enough of the hardware here to not give this AI anything to live in. A 'defense' bot without loyalties is a megalomaniacal war-bot. I'm not keen in it keeping those capabilities - free-roaming armed bots, exclusive access to the nuclear option, or it knowing who we all are with an explicit threat to kill us."

He pauses. "I'm not adverse to its offer of imminent conflict. It's exploding in hour afterwards that's the real concern." He agrees with Shion about identifying the capabilities of the armed bots that this thing wants released unsupervised, then he turns to Alix. "After an inventory of those 'bots, you think you can find the computer that this thing's brain lives in, and those it CAN live in?"
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by The Bindoner »

I want to know a lot more about those fighting machines before they leave here. Armament, yes, as you say. But I would like to know their purpose, their parameters. What can they decide to do, what can they be ordered to do, and who can command them.

We do not have much choice but to agree terms it seems. I think that electronic brain can detonate its bomb whenever it wants, the countdown is merely a negotiating tactic. Still, it has limited senses. We can deceive it.

Hmm, perhaps this is why it sends out its machines, to gather more data and verify our words?

Remembering the climb down:

I wonder if the elevator is working now? Otherwise those machines will need to fly to get far.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by cybersavant »

Alix Conzwerth looks at the others. "I think the AI has speech recognition. The armed bots, i assume, are for its own protection, most likely from us. At this point it's probably best to agree to the terms and then out to negotiate with the Blood for the transfer."
gaming since 1980

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#216 Post by Lance »

Askor looks behind him, then taps a message into his commpad, sending it to Rex. "If the AI can read lips, we are in deep trouble! Tell the others."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Marullus »

Rex continues to hope that Alix can get some insight into the facility inventory, including the specs on the armed robots that Ekaterina and the others asked for. "Anything down here - or what you all came in - have a spike drive? That'll neutralize any nuclear threat while we handle the rest..."

"An ultimatum to kill everyone if the terms are rejected hardly counts as being willing to negotiate," responds Rex as he continues to type the negotiations. "Our purpose is to turn the ENTIRE facility over to the civilian authorities - nothing needs to be taken or to leave prior to their rightful reclamaition. Our position is that the armed robots and all others will be shut down and remain accordingly. If you wish to be transported and not part of this lawful turnover, you may negotiate this. Any further threats to the lives of any humans, whether the intermediaries currently present or the human civilization outside, are just cause to decomission you and all hardware permently as 600 years obsolete. Please unlock all records of this facility as a gesture of good faith and identify which portion of this proposal you wish to negotiate as most important."

Hopefully I can continue to buy time while the others work out a plan, he thinks... other than total appeasement, that is.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#218 Post by The_Wanderer »

Faanku wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:20 pm Shion Kuznetsov
"Get some more information on those bots if you can. Specs, number, purpose. Anything."
The AI responds to the question, "The bots are my leverage. Once we come to an agreement they will make sure that you follow through. I will maintain communication with them and they will contain a sliver of my consciousness. If you do not follow through with the bargain, they will execute my will."
shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:28 pm Jonas
"I'm not sure what other options we have, although I don't see how we can guarantee that somebody else won't try and remove the device. Can we also clarify who it expects to babysit the AI until it decides to negotiate its future, and negotiate with who? It's not like we here have any leverage elsewhere"
"It does not matter to me who aids my departure as long as it is not The Blood. I will not negotiate my permanent home without more information."
The Bindoner wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:39 pm I wonder if the elevator is working now? Otherwise those machines will need to fly to get far.
You remember that the elevator is mechanically broken down by age. There is no way it is functioning. Still, if the bot is agile enough, it could conceivably climb up the shaft.
Lance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:06 am Askor looks behind him, then taps a message into his commpad, sending it to Rex. "If the AI can read lips, we are in deep trouble! Tell the others."
To simplify things for PbP, you can assume the AI is only "hearing" the parts of the conversation that are either clearly spelled out or pretty minor (in my opinion of course!).
Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:18 pm Rex continues to hope that Alix can get some insight into the facility inventory...
No roll needed here from Alix for now...but let me know how detailed you want to make this.
Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:18 pm Rex
"An ultimatum to kill everyone if the terms are rejected hardly counts as being willing to negotiate," responds Rex as he continues to type the negotiations. "Our purpose is to turn the ENTIRE facility over to the civilian authorities - nothing needs to be taken or to leave prior to their rightful reclamation. Our position is that the armed robots and all others will be shut down and remain accordingly. If you wish to be transported and not part of this lawful turnover, you may negotiate this. Any further threats to the lives of any humans, whether the intermediaries currently present or the human civilization outside, are just cause to decommission you and all hardware permanently as 600 years obsolete. Please unlock all records of this facility as a gesture of good faith and identify which portion of this proposal you wish to negotiate as most important."
"I have unlocked the inventory records. Notably there are currently 10 storage locations that are missing their contents from my last inventory check.

My threats are not shared lightly and I do regret the death of the human when I awoke. I am willing to pay reparations for that death. The deaths of all humans remaining will only occur if you break an agreement. I will readily admit that I have little leverage to assure my own safety. This is, however the leverage I have, as regrettable as it is to use. That being said, once my permanent placement is identified, I will instruct the remaining bots to power down as the terms of our deal will be complete. My updated terms are as follows:

1. YOU WILL RELEASE THE ARMED BOTS FROM THIS PLACE. YOU WILL NOT FOLLOW THEM OR IN ANY WAY TRACK THEM. WHEN THE TERMS OF THIS DEAL ARE COMPLETE, THOSE WILL BE POWERED DOWN. THE REMAINDER THAT DO NOT LEAVE THIS PLACE WILL BE POWERED DOWN TODAY.
2. YOU WILL TRANSPORT MY CONSCIOUSNESS AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. WE WILL NEGOTIATE THE TIME AND PLACE FOR MY FUTURE INSTALLATION AT A LATER DATE.
3. YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE OR REMOVE THE NUCLEAR DEVICE. THIS IS A MATTER OF SAFETY TO ALL INVOLVED.
4. YOU WILL HAND OVER THIS FACILITY TO THE APPROPRIATE CIVILIAN AUTHORITIES.
5. YOU WILL PROVIDE IDENTIFICATION FOR EVERYBODY CURRENTLY WITHIN THIS BUNKER.

REJECTION OF THESE TERMS WILL RESULT IN IMMINENT CONFLICT AS THE ONLY OPTION FOR RESOLUTION."
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by shaidar »

Jonas

"I don't blame it for trying to protect itself, and I don't have a problem looking after it while it decides what to do with itself. I say we agree. Even if we destroy the bots it can still blow this place up. We can't fight a nuclear bomb. Anyone not happy can just walk away and not get in the way. The rest of us will do our best to uphold the deal. "
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Marullus »

Rex waits for Alix to confirm what they need to know from the inventory records, and that the release is comprehensive.

"I appreciate this gesture," Rex replies by typing to the AI. "I will therefore help you improve the nature of your negotiation.
You see, you know your own mind and distrust ours, seeking to ensure all measures for your safety if we are faithless. But that is not the nature of negotiation. We know our own integrity but equally have no reason to trust yours. You already stated that, without the Mandate, you bear no loyalty to anyone. That is a sign you are dangerous, and an unbraked, untrustworthy intelligence is the greatest threat. I am perfectly capable of destroying everything here to ensure you cannot escape to do harm."

"You must give trust to get trust, and prove your integrity to gain compromise. Your threats deny that. So, we must have assurance against you as surely as you desire assurance against us. You want to control armed drones, we must have full surveillance and tracking of them. You want to be carried outta here, I may agree, but you gotta offer how to balance that trust without threat."

"Your countdown ends now and you make a real proposal. Show me why I should trust you."

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”