GM (Keeper) Chat

DexterWard
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

GM (Keeper) Chat

#1 Post by DexterWard »

I will be using this space to present topics for discussion. Discussion might include CoreRules, HouseRules, specific game mechanics, aspects about the setting, etc. The first topic, which I will post tomorrow, will be about the differences between CoC 7th ed. & Pulp Cthulhu, as well as some common CoC myths.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: GM (Keeper) Chat

#2 Post by DexterWard »

Difference Between CoC 7th ed. and Pulp CoC; Keeper (GM) Intensions
  1. CoC 7th Edition
    • “The aim of playing Call of Cthulhu is to have fun with your friends as you explore and create a Lovecraftian story. Players take the role of intrepid investigators of the unknown, attempting to seek out, understand, and eventually destroy the horrors, mysteries, and secrets of the Cthulhu Mythos.”
    • “Investigators who survive will gain power from arcane volumes of forgotten lore, knowledge of horrendous monsters, and advancement in their skills as they become more experienced. us the players’ investigators will continue to progress, until their demise or retirement—whichever comes first.”
  2. Pulp CoC
    • "Pulp Cthulhu is a game of two-fisted adventure, weird science, dark deeds, and brave heroes.”
    • “Tired of your investigators dying in quick succession when jaunting around the world in a desperate bid to save humanity? Wishing that sometimes your investigator could make a stand instead of hiding and waiting for the eldritch horror to pass? Pulp Cthulhu ups the ante and provides you with tougher, more capable heroes—ready to take on the villainous machinations of the Cthulhu Mythos!”
    • “Very much about fast-paced action, be it combat, chases, or the rapid accumulation of clues leading to thrilling encounters and devious traps.”
    • “Pulp Cthulhu investigators are called heroes and are designed to be hardier and more capable than standard Call of Cthulhu investigators.”
Pulp-O-Meter: 0 to 9
Mid-Pulp 6-7: Use all rules in Pulp Cthulhu, take 2 Pulp Talents
A hearty helping of investigation, with a generous side of Pulp 😉

Plots, Themes, & Action:
Horrors, Pulp Organizations, Magic, Psychic Powers, Weird Science, Villains of all shapes and sizes (Pulp and otherwise), Quests, Mysteries, Discovery, Secret Societies, Government Cover Ups, Private Investors, Organized Crime, Corrupt Officials, Political Agendas, Two-Fisted Combat, Suspense, Exploration, Out and Out horror, Cthulhu Mythos, Hazards, Plot Twists, Traps, Recurring Villains, Chases, Global Perils, Betrayals, and perhaps a generous side of just plain old Weird!

Keeper (GM) Intensions for this Campaign
  • Maintain a mixture of Pulp and classic Cthulhu themes, edging closer toward the Cthulhu side of the spectrum.
  • Manage balance between Sanity and Insanity, while staying within the operating parameters of Sanity (for each character), for the most part. An occasional foray into the Insanity Pool is bound to happen every now and then 😉. However, this is an RPG, so full on insanity or character death is always a possibility (plan ahead).
  • Build a long-term campaign that players and their characters can grow with and develop. As in OD&D (0e), the players should contribute to the overall design and feel of the campaign (contributing often), while their characters (Investigators) grow and develop as play progresses (in-game development should be the primary driver that dictates pathology and aptitude, rather than backgrounds; Character background should be the starting point).
  • Incorporate, where possible, player input and character pathology aspects into the campaign.
  • Ensure all players and their characters (Investigators) see an equal share of the campaign spotlight.
  • Provide multiple options/avenues/plot elements for the players/characters to choose from at any given time. I will do my best to avoid railroading in this campaign, adjusting as necessary whenever possible. Sometimes this cannot be prevented, but I will give multiple options as often as I can, along with consequences if players/characters choose to ignore imminent horrors about to be released on the world 😊.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions???

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: GM (Keeper) Chat

#3 Post by Urson »

I have nothing to add, but I really appreciate your effort to make sure we know what we're getting into.
FA FO

Return to “In Dark Recesses (Pulp Cthulhu (CoC 7th ed.))”