(011a) Jump to Extolay

Eris
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (011a) Jump to Extolay

#101 Post by Tiglath »

Agreed.

Of course as far as checks and balances go we're "judges in our own court" so I can't really imagine any issue.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by Eris »

Fascinating! :)

One minor quibble. I'm not sure even Owners Aboard can directly override the Captain's orders while the ship is underway. OTOH, I think they could fire and replace the Captain at any time.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#103 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:32 pm
bruce.desertrat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:32 amChime in if you think there's something I missed.[/ooc]
Sounds good to me.
Good for me, too.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Into the Marches: Emily Green, 566997, 34, LCDR Imperial Navy, 4 terms.
Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Akus Moby: Lily Stone, 897CB3, 42, Marine Gunnery Sergeant, 6 terms.
Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1
14,000 cr, 1 High Passage

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm
terrymixon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:46 pm
Keven wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:25 am
Carlos says, over the comm in a closed channel, "Just do the best you can, Chief. Might want to offload the minor but necessary stuff onto a list for us to handle best as we can, and when we finish a job, we mark it and email you to look over. Don't overstress it. And feel free to consult with Connie herself about it. She's pretty damned sharp."
Emily will start working more with Connie to determine what she can do and how that differs from what she's used to. Once she knows, she'll start using Connie to help her keep an eye on things and point out things that seem off.

OOC: Terry isn't sure how Connie differs from normal computers in this universe and I need to make sure I have a firmer grasp of what's happening then he does before he get's more detailed.
OOC: Connie is, at least, semi-sentiment and not only can reply to Emily conversationally, she can make suggestions and can take actions on her own in some cases. When you order her to run system checks, she will do so and attempt to adjust settings to bring systems to nominal state without direct intervention on the Engineer's part. Emily finds that in many cases all she has to do is supervise and make final adjustments while Connie performs much of the actual work internally.

One potential problem, though, is that while Connie will make adjustments on her own these *could* require her to make changes that could potentially be dangerous over the long run...like overriding the limits on sub-systems to balance the entire system. This could keep things functioning nominally for awhile, then lead to complete failure when one or more sub-system failed. At this point, Connie is not always bringing these "tweaks" to the Engineer's attention.

As Emily digs into things, she discovers that some of the changes Connie made have been overridden by Chandra, then changed again by Connie, only to be altered again by herself...then changed back by Connie. Connie's changes have always been accurate and generally as good as any Emily could have made, but the parts that made up the changes were different. It is clear, some sub-systems are running outside nominal ranges even while the entire system is currently perfectly balanced in the nominal range.

Emily remembers studying about ships in the Imperial Navy that had programming set like this. She also knows this programming has fallen out of favor and has been replaced across the Navy with "notification prior to change" programming. It's more work on the Engineers and requires more staff to do it this way, but is considered more safe. There are situations, especially in combat, where "change without intervention" makes sense because a ship can keep itself working when Engineering staff is depleted or do things more quickly than Engineers ever could. However, in most situations "change without intervention" was deemed too dangerous.

If Emily checks back at the personnel rosters on Connie Malone she will discover the ship ran with no qualified Engineer listed for long periods of time. There was never more than 1 Engineer listed on the the personnel rosters until she joined the crew where Chandra Gupta and she were both specifically listed as Engineers.
Emily made a list of subsystems that we’re outside nominal and prioritized getting them back on track.

“Connie, when you rebalance the system and any subsystems are no longer operating inside nominal parameters, I want that logged and flagged for the engineering personnel or those assisting them.”

Once she has the list of off nominal subsystems, she’ll schedule looking then all over and getting them brought back into nominal.

She’ll also send a note to the captain about how Chandra and Connie couldn’t seem to gain supremacy on how the load balancing worked and what the dangers of that could be.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Posting from my phone so no formatting.

I wa good with this too, until Eris pronounced it “fascinating “. Now I’m worried😐
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#106 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Well, since everyone is in agreement, Eris, the proposed command structure from here viewtopic.php?p=505298#p505298 is what I will work on with Connie. I'll ask her to identify any flaws or conflicts she can see from this.
Blade.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#107 Post by Keven »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:51 am Well, since everyone is in agreement, Eris, the proposed command structure from here viewtopic.php?p=505298#p505298 is what I will work on with Connie. I'll ask her to identify any flaws or conflicts she can see from this.
Carlos spends the rest of the week studying brokering hard, standing his watch, trying to help out in Engineering under the new Chief's direction, and comforting Zaki.

SO glad to be back online. The fone interface SUCKS. So... Are we there yet??
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#108 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Not sure. Eris is probably still be mopping up from Hurricane Sally. Per this map https://map.gulfpower.com he may still be without power; he's in Escambia County iirc, and they're still about ⅓ offline. IN the end it came ashore very close, then sat there. so he got a couple feet of rain. Selfish, they could have sent a half foot or so our way here in AZ and never noticed the difference ;) this is what he posted before in the Silverband game on the 14th:
A few things...

I hurt one of my fingers today, so typing is a little difficult at the moment. It could be better or worse tomorrow depending. Speaking of tomorrow and the next day(s).

I live just east of Pensacola, Florida, and Hurricane Sally is knocking on our door. At the moment, NHC says Sally will come ashore 100 miles west, but then bend back and go just north of us. That'll put us on the "dirty" side of the storm for two or three days depending on how slowly it moves. So, things are very likely to get worse, much worse, the next few days on that front.

If the roof stays on, trees don't fall on the house, and the windows don't blow out we should be okay. We're well away from any water and high enough so we won't flood. I also keep a pretty well stocked emergency supply of food and water, and we have natural gas, so we'll have food and something to cook it with. However, there is the matter of electricity and internet. We tend to lose both when hurricanes come calling and when we go "dark" we stay "dark" for a week or two.

I have installed a generator, so I think...I hope...the electricity problem is solved, but communications will probably still go down. Phone, internet, and cable lines come down. If it is bad enough cell towers come down, too.

If I disappear that will be why.

Eris
Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 am
bruce.desertrat wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:51 am Well, since everyone is in agreement, Eris, the proposed command structure from here viewtopic.php?p=505298#p505298 is what I will work on with Connie. I'll ask her to identify any flaws or conflicts she can see from this.
Carlos spends the rest of the week studying brokering hard, standing his watch, trying to help out in Engineering under the new Chief's direction, and comforting Zaki.

SO glad to be back online. The fone interface SUCKS. So... Are we there yet??
ooc: Bruce, your setup looks great! I'm really not trying to pull a "gottcha" on y'all...really!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm ooc: Bruce, your setup looks great! I'm really not trying to pull a "gottcha" on y'all...really!
I'm glad we have people who know how these protocols work...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#111 Post by terrymixon »

terrymixon wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:51 pm
Eris wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm
terrymixon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Emily will start working more with Connie to determine what she can do and how that differs from what she's used to. Once she knows, she'll start using Connie to help her keep an eye on things and point out things that seem off.

OOC: Terry isn't sure how Connie differs from normal computers in this universe and I need to make sure I have a firmer grasp of what's happening then he does before he get's more detailed.
OOC: Connie is, at least, semi-sentiment and not only can reply to Emily conversationally, she can make suggestions and can take actions on her own in some cases. When you order her to run system checks, she will do so and attempt to adjust settings to bring systems to nominal state without direct intervention on the Engineer's part. Emily finds that in many cases all she has to do is supervise and make final adjustments while Connie performs much of the actual work internally.

One potential problem, though, is that while Connie will make adjustments on her own these *could* require her to make changes that could potentially be dangerous over the long run...like overriding the limits on sub-systems to balance the entire system. This could keep things functioning nominally for awhile, then lead to complete failure when one or more sub-system failed. At this point, Connie is not always bringing these "tweaks" to the Engineer's attention.

As Emily digs into things, she discovers that some of the changes Connie made have been overridden by Chandra, then changed again by Connie, only to be altered again by herself...then changed back by Connie. Connie's changes have always been accurate and generally as good as any Emily could have made, but the parts that made up the changes were different. It is clear, some sub-systems are running outside nominal ranges even while the entire system is currently perfectly balanced in the nominal range.

Emily remembers studying about ships in the Imperial Navy that had programming set like this. She also knows this programming has fallen out of favor and has been replaced across the Navy with "notification prior to change" programming. It's more work on the Engineers and requires more staff to do it this way, but is considered more safe. There are situations, especially in combat, where "change without intervention" makes sense because a ship can keep itself working when Engineering staff is depleted or do things more quickly than Engineers ever could. However, in most situations "change without intervention" was deemed too dangerous.

If Emily checks back at the personnel rosters on Connie Malone she will discover the ship ran with no qualified Engineer listed for long periods of time. There was never more than 1 Engineer listed on the the personnel rosters until she joined the crew where Chandra Gupta and she were both specifically listed as Engineers.
Emily made a list of subsystems that we’re outside nominal and prioritized getting them back on track.

“Connie, when you rebalance the system and any subsystems are no longer operating inside nominal parameters, I want that logged and flagged for the engineering personnel or those assisting them.”

Once she has the list of off nominal subsystems, she’ll schedule looking then all over and getting them brought back into nominal.

She’ll also send a note to the captain about how Chandra and Connie couldn’t seem to gain supremacy on how the load balancing worked and what the dangers of that could be.
OOC: Eris, because this came before the weather, I just wanted to be sure it didn't slip off the radar.

Terry

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Pedro will assist Emily in Engineering to straighten this out, he will work with her and Connie to accomplish this.

He will also call on his long experience with, ahem, "bodged" engineering solutions to see if he can help keep everything in spec, and get an idea of what we need to change out or improve to make things work better. As Connie was fresh off annual maintenance, iirc, some of these issues are almost certainly be traceable to design flaws and compromises, I'd think.
Blade.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by joertexas »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:48 pm Pedro will assist Emily in Engineering to straighten this out, he will work with her and Connie to accomplish this.

He will also call on his long experience with, ahem, "bodged" engineering solutions to see if he can help keep everything in spec, and get an idea of what we need to change out or improve to make things work better. As Connie was fresh off annual maintenance, iirc, some of these issues are almost certainly be traceable to design flaws and compromises, I'd think.
Zaki will review any available data about Chandra's activities during the last day of his life, and make a record of her findings. Otherwise, she goes about her duty of caring for the passengers.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Tiglath »

Sigrun returns to casual monitoring of the "corporate cattle" and working with Connie on micro managing the ship's environment for defensive purposes. She specifically concentrates on Connie sequentially shifting the "strength" of grav units in ship's corridors to allow Sigrun to "boost" along them in zero G. Of course an encounter with Sigrun silently "flying" headfirst along a corridor with axe and pistol in hand isn't at all alarming. The fact that she smiles really doesn't mitigate the intial shock or actually make it any better...
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm
Emily make a list of subsystems that were outside nominal and prioritized getting them back on track.

OOC: Eris, because this came before the weather, I just wanted to be sure it didn't slip off the radar.

Terry
OOC Got it! And Connie makes the list and makes it available to you within seconds.

Emily sees that the list is fairly extensive and it is going to take the rest of this jump and maybe most of the time at the next stop to go through all of this and get it really corrected.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:43 pm
terrymixon wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm
Emily make a list of subsystems that were outside nominal and prioritized getting them back on track.

OOC Got it! And Connie makes the list and makes it available to you within seconds.

Emily sees that the list is fairly extensive and it is going to take the rest of this jump and maybe most of the time at the next stop to go through all of this and get it really corrected.
She'll pass the data on and start sorting the work into lists varying on priority. Let the work commence.

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”