Chapter 2a - The Exodus to Krossavik

Marullus
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 2a - The Exodus to Krossavik

#61 Post by redwarrior »

Hild Run's to the woman's aid, attempting to clear a path (deed) for the refugees while swinging her longsword in great arcs, finally attacking one of the Kobolds.

init [1d20] = 15
Attack [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13 Deed Die [1d3] = 2 Damage [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7

I believe I get +1 to hit/damage because of STR, and +1 to damage for "Born on Battlefield
Oh, and blessed on attack roll - not sure of impact of that.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by AleBelly »

Did the inn look ransacked already to Rikke?

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by redwarrior »

Saral will move with the group attempting the rescue. and invoke Holy Sanctuary. He will ready his staff, in case the spell fails.
The light of Amun Tor envelops him as he moves forward confidently.
init [1d20] = 16
Holy Sanctuary [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Marullus »

Characters:
Raid:
  • redwarrior: Hild Gamlidottir
  • redwarrior: Saral
  • Samwell Turleton: Olivia Linderoth
  • ybn1197: Piers
  • AleBelly: Rikke
Caravan:
  • Faanku: Kinnard
  • Faanku: Myantha Theneiros
  • Samwell Turleton: Fljúga Thormundson
  • (NPCs): Melikii (mother), Neptisiss and Janiiss (Children)
The man, bleeding from a severely wounded leg, tries to hurry the children through the intersection as the spear-wielding woman turns to face the oncoming kobolds. Her face is grim, determined... Resigned. Against eight foes, she has little hope that she will survive, but she covers the retreat anyway.

Saral invokes the mysteries of his divine Lord and steps into the intersection, interposing himself between the chittering kobolds and the family -- the woman's eyes widen as she suddenly finds herself not alone. Brandishing the sword of her father, Hild is the next from the blind alleyway, cutting down the nearest kobold with a vicious strike that cleaves it in half (-9). Rikke and Piers rush out right behind her, taking effort to cover each other's flanks. Rikke's claymore tastes its first blood, slicing a kobold's chest cleanly open and spilling its guts into the dust. (-7) Piers' warhammer crushes the chest of another utterly collapsing it inward (-11) as he flings the small corpse across the street, where it collides with another kobold and knocks it prone, struggling to free itself of its dead companion and get back to its feet. Heartened by the unexpected aid, the woman rallies, striking down another scaly assailant with her own spear (-4). Four dead, one prone, three still standing, the kobolds land no blows of their own, flailing under the unexpected assault. The small reptilians burn with ferocity, however, and will not be deterred. They try to flank the woman to rush onwards after the succulent children...

Pushing open the back door of the Inn, Olivia enters. At first glance, the room is already clearly tossed (which Rikke would have noted with her practiced eye before rushing to battle). Taking the time to search, however, Olivia finds it curiously so. Some items show a hurried departure by residents, and there's no evidence of blood or bodies. All the drawers are dumped and the silverware is gone, as are the platters and soup tureens which sat behind glass in the breakfront. The larder still seems mostly stocked, however, and there's several loaves of still-warm bread, fresh greens, a half-peck of apples, and some burlap-wrapped roasted meats. She is able to easily fill two large sacks with food provisions, which is as much as she could reasonably flee with, anyway. (Anything else you're looking for?)

Rules:
Blessing effect:
The ally receives a +1 bonus to all attack rolls for 1 turn. Hild's first attack.

Holy Sanctuary:
Enemies are compelled to focus their attacks against other targets. As long as an attacker can reasonably attack some other target instead of the cleric, it must choose to do so. Creatures of 3 HD or less cannot attack the cleric in any manner. Creatures of 4 HD or more may attempt a Will save to resist the compulsion and attack the cleric. This Will save is required even if the cleric is the only reasonable target. This effect
lasts for 1 turn. It is immediately dispelled if the cleric attacks or takes aggressive action in any way.
Trips and Throws:
3: The warrior can knock an enemy off-balance. The enemy gets a Ref save against the warrior’s attack roll. Failure means the enemy is knocked prone and must spend its next attack action standing up. Remember that melee attacks against a prone opponent receive a +2 bonus.

Rolls:

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by redwarrior »

Saral will attempt to interpose himself between the fleeing woman and children and the kobolds, but taking no offensive action - just getting in the way as a big human shield.

Hild has other ideas and will attempt to slash at another and (feat) push him into his compatriots.

init [1d20] = 10

Attack [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 Deed Die [1d3] = 1 Damage [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10
Not sure if I still have the bless, but don't think it's needed.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by AleBelly »

Rikke, bandit

"YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE CHILDREN!!! YOUR DRAGONS ARE COWARDS!!!" Rikke roars as she tries to distract the kobolds from the children. This would be her deed, trying to get the kobolds to fight them instead of pursue the children.

A prominent blue vein bulges with rage in her forehead as she swings her sword at the neck of the kobold nearest the children, hoping to sever its neck from its head. Backup deed in case the distraction doesn't count.

Initiative [1d16] = 16, claymore attack [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11, damage [1d10+1] = 9+1 = 10, deed die [1d3] = 3

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Olivia Linderoth

Olivia prepares the burlap bags with provisions setting them in a secure and concealed place. She looks around for any secret compartments or doors that may keep additional important objects stowed for safekeeping. She runs her hands along counters and any suspicious looking joinery - wary of any signs of danger in the inn.

I would like to bump the roll up to a 15 with Luck

Find Secret Doors [1d20] = 13

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Piers?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ybn1197 »

Feeling like he has finally found his place in life, Piers squares his shoulders and slams his warhammer into the nearest kobold hoping to knock the creature down in front of his fellow kobolds, tripping them in their attempt to get to the children. (Deed: Trip)

Initiative: [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6
Deed Dice: [1d3] = 3 Deed successful if attack is successful.
Attack: [1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22 Damage: [1d8+4] = 3+4 = 7

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Marullus »

Characters:
Raid:
  • redwarrior: Hild Gamlidottir
  • redwarrior: Saral
  • Samwell Turleton: Olivia Linderoth
  • ybn1197: Piers
  • AleBelly: Rikke

Saral interposes, stepping in front of the kobolds to impede them and give the family a chance to flee while Rikke attracts their attention with her overt bellowing rage. Rikke's blade cuts down one with a vicious swipe, neatly beheading the kobold (-14), and Hild cleaves a second in half as well (-11). Piers swings his hammer in a mighty arc, knocking the third kobold (or at least its corpse) into the last kobold who, struggling to get up after getting hit by the last corpse finds himself knocked prone again. Trying to extricate himself from the multiple flung corpses, the last kobold struggles on the ground and is at your mercy...

The spear-woman pauses an overwhelming look of gratitude upon her face, tempered by her worry by her limping husband and children who are disappearing into an alley across the intersection. "Thank you!" she calls out to you in a gush of emotion. "Get to the keep!
It is the only safe place!"
She tarries uncertain, waiting for affirmation that you also will seek safety, but is poised to rush after her family.

In the inn, Olivia hefts her sacks of supplies and searches for hidden secrets. Her intuition proves correct and she unlatches a hidden cupboard along the wall. Inside are the fine weapons of an elf, hidden from sight - she finds a slender-bladed mithril longsword, a polished longbow, and quiver of mithril-tipped arrows.

Characters:
Caravan:
  • Faanku: Kinnard
  • Faanku: Myantha Theneiros
  • Samwell Turleton: Fljúga Thormundson
  • (NPCs): Melikii (mother), Neptisiss and Janiiss (Children)
Kinard, Myantha, and Fljúga join those guarding the sprawling group of refugees. You welcome fleeing townsfolk, seeing them settled with the clusters of vulnerable people you protect. There are very few raiders that come this way - perhaps a half-dozen that come close enough as the pursue the fleeing townsfolk to fall prey to bows and swords of you and your fellow protectors. Most break off pursuit to stay clear of your large makeshift encampment, leaving you scanning the horizon for threats incoming rather than locked in a tactical fight.

Your sharp eyes spy their movement in the darkness, some of the humans illuminated by torches. About a half-mile ahead of you down the vale, the raiders cross the road from west to east, skirting past you and heading further inland, into the foothills away from the coast. You mark the place of their passage - with dozens of them traversing that way, you're certain there will be a trail you could follow, or that you could evade them and ensure it is clear before you continue safely southward on the roadway.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by redwarrior »

Hild moves to dispatch the remaining foe. With him gone, she will quickly check the pockets of the 4, looking for anything of value. And then ask her companions "Where's Olivia? To the keep or on our way?"

init [1d10] = 7
Attack [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 Deed Die [1d3] = 1 Damage [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by ybn1197 »

"Our numbers are far too small to take on this army. If we head for the keep, we may never get out. I think it best to continue our mission, collect supplies for the caravan and return as soon as we can," Piers says.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Olivia Linderoth

Olivia wraps the longsword, quiver, and bow in the cloth of one of the burlap sacks and adds it to her collection of foodstuffs from the larder. She carries the load carefully to the door. She looks out of the inn door and tries try to locate the company of her companions to help carry the extra bags. She keeps the mithril items carefully wrapped and in her possession as she waves to catch the attention of anyone she can.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Fljúga Thormundson

Fljúga says to Myantha, what do you make of it sister?

Those raiders in the dark...

Fljúga turns her head and looks into the dark in the direction the others went, in search of supplies, towards the town.

I do hope they make their way back quickly...this is no time to tarry.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by Faanku »

Myantha Theneiros, the Witch

"I wonder if allowing them to roam free is our best course of action." the elf replies to Fljúga. The ongoing chaos has had a strange affect on her, serving to calm her frayed nerves rather than agitate her further. "And then I wonder if we even have the force of arms to consider any other option."

Kinnard, the Mercenary

"Not currently. And even with the others returned we'll be leaving this lot unguarded. I'd prefer we stick together and keep moving." Not like there was much else they could do until they were much further clear of this town, but curiosity got the better of him. "How many did your eyes spot down there?" The question is addressed to both elves.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Fljúga Thormundson

I know that I am feeling my frailty since leaving Kaerhavn. How I even came to survive the first fall from the red keep I do not know.

I have never been one to resolve conflict with conflict, even now in a time of war I don’t think it wise. My feeling is we leave them be and let the threads of their fate unspool on their own from the cruelty of their own actions.

Fljúga thinks about the question from Kinnard. How many did her eyes spot out there in the dark?

I don’t know, my eyes play tricks on me in the dark and in my dreams.

Spot Raiders [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2

Return to “The Fires of Wrath (DCC)”