Arena Rules

Paladin
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Arena Rules

#1 Post by Paladin »

We'll do bare-knuckle fights. Striking or grappling. No eye-gouging or groin shots, hair-pulling or biting, scratching, and clawing. No spitting or throwing sand in the eyes. Everything else goes.

No armor or weapons.

What I'd like you to do is roll 3 melee attack rolls. Then roll 3 d6 damage rolls. If you have a STR mod, add that to your to-hit/damage as normal.

Narrate a string of 3 moves you want to attempt.

A called shot to a certain area is made at -4 to attack, but if it lands you do max damage on the strike and roll an extra d6--If the extra d6 comes up 6, your opponent makes a save vs. paralyzation. On a failure, you knock them out cold. On a success, they are shaken so badly that they attack at -2 for the next round. If they get rocked again and make the save a second time, they are knocked down and take a -4 next round.

A grapple is also made at -4 to attack, but if you are successful, your opponent takes no damage but will be immobilized for at least part of the next round--they will be busy attempting to break free. They break free by succeeding at two of their three attack rolls on their next turn. If they fail to break free for one whole round, the limb you have grappled is injured and useless for the remainder of the fight.

If they fail to break free for two rounds, they lose the fight by submission. If they do break free with their first two attack rolls, they are allowed one return attack with the remaining roll on their turn. If they break free on the last roll, they get no attack that round.

If you are successful in grappling an opponent and they do not break free on their next turn, you may make your normal three attacks when your turn comes back around.

But if you miss a called shot or grapple, your opponent gets an extra attack the next round. We'll say you are off balance from focusing so hard on your specific move.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Arena Rules

#2 Post by tarlyn »

Noted I was going to do a kick to the dangly bits but shall change that lol!
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Arena Rules

#3 Post by Paladin »

If anyone wonders how arena combatants are selected, I roll on a random table of my own creation. You could be facing a farmboy who's never thrown a punch or a 10th level monk who will demolish you. And anything in between. The two extremes are rare, though, and most opponents will be roughly your power level, give or take a couple.

If you want a heads up on which fighters are around on the day you go in, ask around or make friends with the rat-man. Or get to know them by sight and you can judge how stiff the competition is on any given day.

That might help you decide if you want to try your luck.

Return to “Into the Emptiness (1e)”