Chapter 1: A Knife in Darkness

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 1: A Knife in Darkness

#421 Post by tibbius »

The guard captain wearily gestures his men toward the alley, and follows, casting a skeptical glance at your company.

You continue through the gate and toward the house of Akhtesh Behruz.

As you approach along the street, in the pale purple-grey light before the dawn, you see a crowd before you and you smell smoke - not that of a cookfire or a pleasant hearth, nor even a charcoal brazier overturned, but something much deeper and somehow older. An odor like decades eaten by fire.

The crowd is focused on the Behruz house. A glow of firelight dances on their faces, turned toward the flames that flicker and burst from the windows and door and roll at the eaves. Black smoke billows out of the building into the fading purple sky.

What do you do?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#422 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Lathi, I'm afraid your new residence may not be very comfortable.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by Rex »

Lathi

"Warm I guess, that didn't last long."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Xara

"I'm sorry Lathi. You had just received that place. It's not fair that you won't be able to enjoy it." She looks around at the crowd. "But it still doesn't explain why this is happening? Who is doing it?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#425 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og looks into the fire. "Who is doing this, indeed. That is a great question. How do we kil- i mean find the person that's pestering us?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by Rex »

Lathi

"I am not sure Og, but they best hope I don't find them."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#427 Post by tibbius »

For now, there are neither answers nor reasons by who or why the house was set ablaze. The crowd begins to drift away as the sky brightens pink and the smoke and flame diminish.

You recall that later today you are supposed to pick up a copy of Akhtesh's will.

Where do you go? What do you do?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308

#428 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Looks like I'll be staying in a flophouse, tonight, then. Meet up to get the will later?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#429 Post by Rex »

Lathi

"That seems the best option."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#430 Post by tibbius »

Agreeing to meet up at the noon hour, at the Palace offices, you each depart the scene.

Please briefly describe where you go and what you do.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Xara

Xara goes back to the temple with her new bag of jewelry. She'll try some on and fall asleep with them on for a quick nap before noon.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Rex »

Lathi

Lathi heads for the nearest flop house and tries to get a few hours of sleep.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og agrees and follows, "Been a long day - a few hours to freshen up before we go get that will would do us good.."

Scott308

#434 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Ishbak will look for someplace to sleep nearby, but more importantly, someplace cheap!

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#435 Post by tibbius »

You all scatter to accommodations, wearily promising to meet again at the palace offices at noon.

Things that have happened in the past eighteen hours:

- you learned the details of your inheritances from Akhtesh Behruz
- you interviewed Jabdar Laugra, master of the Handlers guild, about the disposition of Akhtesh's warehoused assets
- you visited the Behruz house, where you drove out some squatters and soon after were ambushed by unknown arsonists
- you left the house to get some food
- after eating, you watched Jabdar Laugra behaving strangely, and followed him to the Crypts of Yadar on Green Peacock Square
- you watched Jabdar attack the priests guarding the gates of the Crypts, and killed him
- you fled into the Pleasure District, returning later to explore the Crypts, the gate of which still stood fortuitously open
- in the Crypts, you encountered sentient ghouls
- escaping the Crypts, you turned back to the Warehouse District and attempted to ransack the jumble of valuables in the Behruz building
- desisting from that, you returned to the Behruz house and found it engulfed in flames
- now you're set to rest a few hours.

Next post will be a new Chapter, starting again at the palace.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#436 Post by tibbius »

Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “World of Xoth (5e)”