Pre-Game Idea Vetting: "Dark and Stormy Night"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Pre-Game Idea Vetting: "Dark and Stormy Night"

#1 Post by Leitz »

I have this idea for a game, could use some feedback. While I've DM'd a bit, and played a bit, my PbP DM skills still need some work. Feel free to politely critique the concept, and raise any questions that come to mind.

The PCs are modern day people; gamers going to a convention or similar. A mysterious event/person beckons them through a portal, and they are transported to somewhere else. There is a need that they can help resolve, and they do heroic stuff. At the end of the adventure, they are popped back to where they came from.

Not sure of a game system yet, something fun and maybe swash-buckley like 7th Sea or Flashing Blades. Or a d20 base there where they can get up to 3rd level or so decently quickly. Basically giving them some resistance to easy death.

Key points:
  • PCs do not control the coming or going to the "other world".
  • PCs can't stock up on machine guns and grenades, "just in case".
  • The game is heroic, and uses the smarts and unusual perspective a modern gamer might have.
  • Time flow is asymmetric.
I ran this years ago; each game started with "It was a dark and stormy night..." Explosions tended to trigger the portal crossings, but I'd like to give the PCs some time in the other world to learn and enjoy things.

Please give me some ways to make this better.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pre-Game Idea Vetting: "Dark and Stormy Night"

#2 Post by Tiglath »

As to setting and system could the mundane and the magical use different rulesets??? Maybe too radical idea and/or a DMing nightmare? Or perhaps (saner) a "foot in both camps" system. Something like Dresden Files springs to mind but I've not played it
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

For the most part, the "normal world" will be "between adventures". Unless, of course, the big bad evil finds a way to cross through the portals. :SAN:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

We did something similar years ago with AD&D (as in 1e). I think as far as system goes it is best to stick with what you are comfortable running. It would be fun, when we did it the players played themselves.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by cybersavant »

ever play TORG ????????????????
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

cybersavant wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:42 pm ever play TORG ????????????????
Never played it. Reading a little on the Wikipedia page.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Nope, not one I have played. Looks interesting.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by cybersavant »

it would work well for this
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

The reading I had was that the players didn't have a lot of detail in character creation. Has that changed?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Bluetongue »

Sounds a bit 'Stargate'ish or Quantum Leap. Or even that old D&D cartoon series from the 80's.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Bluetongue wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:13 amOr even that old D&D cartoon series from the 80's.
Heh heh. This was the first thing I thought when I read the OP a couple days ago.
Also I believe there was a Dragon module where the PCs end up in semi-modern day London (maybe early 1900s) and have some sort of adventure. I’d have to go check. Might have been a BECMI module and not advanced.

Also the Star Trek TOS episode, with Joan Collins, The City on the Edge of Forever with the time gate - being a Trekkie and all.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

It was the original game was conceptually based on "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". :)

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by AsenRG »

There's a game with such a premise, Vital Hearts and it seems to be out already. Well, kinda, and if Early Access counts. To me it counts:).

Just something to consider, because while I love Flashing Blades, "guessing the type of attack" is too damn hard to do well on a forum. And it's a major component of your defence. It also adds a component of "headgames", which is very enjoyable IME and gives you the opportunity to add some player skill.

On the table, we used to do it by hiding a d6 behind our hands, with different numbers meaning different kinds of attack, and then revealing simultaneously. Like all things that require simultaneous reveal, however, emulating that part in PbP is hard to impossible;).

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

Yeah, I read "Flashing Blades" and it's nice, but not the level of simplicity I prefer. There are some folks doing very well thought out and less complex rules, like Tibbius' Greek game, and the TABA rules. I haven't quite made the switch that far, though. :)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by tibbius »

I'll suggest Tiny D6 as a nice middle ground between DnD 5e and TABA. Closer to the rules-light end of the slide. The Player's Guide for Tiny Dungeon 2e costs $6.99 on drivethrurpg and has all you need to play in any setting - just switch out Traits and make up your own Heritages / Archetypes if you want a different setting. For example, if you wanted modern high school kids dropped into a fantasy setting, you could use Archetypes like Jock, Nerd, Social, Outsider, Goth and give each a different unique Trait.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

I'd rather not push players to buy the games; so far my "run a game" record hasn't been as strong as I'd like. :) I did figure out the solution, though; use different game systems for each environment. As I said elsewhere, I'm not sure I could pull it off, and the player's would have to do a lot of mental back and forth on IC and OOC thinking.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by AsenRG »

Actually that's a good idea. You could use D&D, T&T or a retroclone for the game part, which would fit to a T because online games are influenced by D&D and T&T for historical reasons!
And then you could have something closer to how the real world is working for the offline part. As a bonus, you can use a free system like the GORE version of d100, or Mythras Imperative, or Wichcraft, or Nemesis ORE (though that one starts to add psycho horror overtones which you might decide to ignore or not)!

Return to “Tips for the DM”