TPK Total Party Kill

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: TPK Total Party Kill

#21 Post by Leitz »

I prefer games like 7th Sea, where the DM and player talk about the PC's death before the game actually begins. Until that event happens, the character is not likely to die at all unless the player does something totally stupid like jump off a mountain. That frees the PC up to a very cinematic game. He or she might not die, but imprisonment for a while, exile, or other drastic life events are possible.

Being free to write a story with the PC is why I game. I'm not looking for a gritty simulation or death funnel, I've seen enough of that in real life. I want to have a PC's arc grow them over time, and to explore the fantastic creation the DM has spent so much time on. When the PC won't likely die because of one or two bad die rolls, it frees the player from trying to min/max or do other meta-game stuff to bolster longevity.

That said, I did run a game once where everyone was intentionally killed very early on. It was a high level cross-planar game, once everyone died the game actually began. :)

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by AsenRG »

GreyWolfVT wrote:As a DM has anyone ever gotten to the point where they are saying to themselves "Hmm maybe killing off the whole party will prevent this from dragging out and the game dying off?"
Luckily not as a GM...but I've been in a game on the player side where we were all thinking about it.
How do I know? Well, at some point the PCs committed suicide one after another, which was a dead giveaway :mrgreen: !

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

AsenRG wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:As a DM has anyone ever gotten to the point where they are saying to themselves "Hmm maybe killing off the whole party will prevent this from dragging out and the game dying off?"
Luckily not as a GM...but I've been in a game on the player side where we were all thinking about it.
How do I know? Well, at some point the PCs committed suicide one after another, which was a dead giveaway :mrgreen: !
Yeah I think that is a sign for sure. :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Paladin »

rredmond wrote:Firstly, love the thread necromancy!
Secondly I’m pretty sure I’ve talks about my 1HP OD&D cleric before, great times!!
Holy Schmidt actually made 2nd level before biting it in a wandering monster encounter- gnoll. :D
You know... I didn't realize the thread was 5 years old when I replied. Oops. :lol:

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by AsenRG »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
AsenRG wrote:
Yeah I think that is a sign for sure. :D
Indeed, I took it that way as well...
Paladin wrote:
rredmond wrote:Firstly, love the thread necromancy!
Secondly I’m pretty sure I’ve talks about my 1HP OD&D cleric before, great times!!
Holy Schmidt actually made 2nd level before biting it in a wandering monster encounter- gnoll. :D
You know... I didn't realize the thread was 5 years old when I replied. Oops. :lol:
Not a problem in my book. It's a forum, asynchroneous posting is part of the game here, that's just a bigger interval :cool: !

Return to “RPG theory”