Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

Marullus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

#221 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna transforms into a knight is shining armor brandishing a flaming sword (the torch) and a bright shield that reflects light like a mirror. She boldly places herself between the others and the troll. "Begone beast or face my wrath!"

Using Defender trait.
Lore + Defender [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2
Help
Help [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 3
Expend 2 Fate to re-roll 2 of the failures.
2 Fate re-roll [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2
3 success'

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Marullus »

Excellent!
* You have three successes, including two sixes, on your initial roll.
* Spending one fate point allows you to explode the two sixes. (Your existing reroll, no additional successes earned).
* Spending a second fate point lets you reroll one failed die (but you can only do that once per roll, not twice).
Ganna reroll failed die [1d6] = 6
...and since you already paid a fate to explode sixes, that six also explodes.
Ganna reroll the 6 [1d6] = 6
Ganna reroll the 6 again [1d6] = 2
* That's a total of 5 Successes, which completely negates the 4 successes of the troll and keeps your disposition full!

Action #3: Ganna Defend, Troll Attacks.
Party Disposition: 5/5
Troll Disposition: 5/8

Ganna transforms into a knight is shining armor brandishing a flaming sword (the torch) and a bright shield that reflects light like a mirror. She boldly places herself between the others and the troll. "Begone beast or face my wrath!"

Wary, the Troll attempts to assert itself by coming at the trio of splended adventurers, but the flaming sword seems to terrify it. Each advance is blocked by Ganna's boldness... the troll now glancing towards the exits.
Stirling wrote:The first round are fronts and maneuvers.

So I would wait for Haar to anoint the creature, smear him with goose fat, butter, flammable mushrooms then attack on the second round.
Round 2! We need Clough to name the next three actions. The first one MUST be Haar with either an Attack or a Feint. After that, the other PCs can repeat.

Once Stirling has set the order and actors for the next three actions, then Haar posts how he acts to "confuse, befuddle or otherwise obfuscate" the Troll in a way that convinces it to run off into the caverns.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Stirling »

Clough

It would be great if the shield could be held under the cistern so that the sunlight reflects from its mirrored surface, across the waters of the pool and to the troll. Can that be done with a bit of levitation, prestidigitation?

Haar to attack the creature. Further injure a leg or bast it in oil, skewer his feet. However creative you can be.

Clough and Cu also attack creature with flaming torches and Ganna to find some way to manipulate sunlight from the shield.

I would like to involve Tancred and Grimm also and would be happy for suggestions and will make way for them to act before or instead of myself.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Marullus »

Okay! So, it sounds like the actions are:
Turn 4: Haar Attack
Turn 5: Clough Attack
Turn 6: Cu Aislin Defend (?) [Incapable of Attack as he doesn't have the Manipulator skill]

Ganna and Haar have their second action bumped to Round 3.
Tancred and Grimm are not part of the conflict and can roleplay in the background if they like, but don't take actions in the fight.

Remember: This is NOT an actual physical fight. You're not actually trying to drive it off with the torches. You're performing a Trick to "confuse, befuddle or otherwise obfuscate" the Troll into leaving into the caverns per your earlier decisions. Make sure you reflect that in your roleplay.

Haar is up! He is rolling his 2D Manipulator and he gets +1s if he intimidates with fire. The troll is using a Manuever, which is a Versus test against Haar's Attack.
Troll 1/2 [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 3
Troll 2/2 [1d6] = 6[1d6] = 1[1d6] = 3
The troll rolled 2 successes. Any amount of successes you get above 2 is subtracted from his disposition to help end the fight.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Marullus »

*Bump*
:)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Stirling »

What do I need for Clough's attack?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Marullus »

Nothing yet - we need Haar's action to resolve first.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#228 Post by shroomofinsanity »

sorry guys, doing the thing now.

Haar sees what is happening for what it is, a chance to get the troll away from him.

Hey, uh, mr. Big Troll guy, those adventurers look mean, you should get away from them and their scary fire!
Manipulator 2
[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 5
Damn, but with the +1 success I at least tie right?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Marullus »

Yep! That's a tie.

In this case, we could accept a tie and you both fail. There are other tiebreaker options, though:
  • Reroll the failed die by spending a Fate point and using your Wise narratively and hope for another success.
  • Use a trait against yourself and let the Troll win (which would give a -1D penalty to Clough's roll as the troll Maneuvers), but earning your group Two Checks.
  • Perform a tie-breaker test by rolling your 5D Will vs the injured Troll's 7D nature and see who wins. (If you win, you damage his disposition by 1.)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#230 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I don't want to make things harder for my ally, but the odds arent in my favor for the tiebreaker roll and 2 checks will help us get rid of some of these conditions we are and will rack up, so I'll use thoughtful against myself for the 2 checks.

Umm... on second thought I'm not sure where the best place to go is at all, I..think maybe even staying next to the cook fire may help? his fear overtaking him, along with him taking too long to think up the best answer did little to affect the troll.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Marullus »

Excellent! Two checks earned.

Haar tries to bluff the troll into the caves, but his stream-of-consciousness arguement takes a few over-thought wrong turns. He gives the troll pause, but the troll ends up feinting towards the exit but instead flanking Clough so as to come at the shining holy paladin unexpectedly...

(Troll gets 1 success on his Maneuver, inflicting a -1D penalty on the next roll by Clough.)

Action #3: Clough Attacks, Troll Attacks.
Party Disposition: 5/5
Troll Disposition: 5/8
Attack v Attack is rolled Independently; any successes rolled by either of you come directly off your opponent's disposition. If either party gets 5 successes, the other is out of the fight. (It is possible that you both get 5 successes and both win/lose the fight simultaneously.)

Clough is rolling 3D Manipulator -1D from the troll's maneuver +1s for the torch-flame. He can add +1D by invoking one of his traits (he has all of them still available) and he can reroll 6s by spending a Fate or reroll 1 failed die by invoking his Wise and spending a Fate (he has 2 Fate points remaining and if he does both of these things he can spend them both.)

The injured Troll will then roll his 7D.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Stirling »

Clough

Clough: Manipulating vs troll [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 torch [1d6] = 2 using Devil may care Trait [1d6] = 1

Clough Fate reroll [1d6] = 1

He tries to tempt and tease the troll, waving the firebrand in his face, then tapping the floor with his sword as if directing the troll to step that way, then this.He allows the troll a little too close for comfort and rolls away but closer to being able to be caught in a reflected sunlight trap.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Marullus »

That's two successes from the Manipulator dice. +1s from the Torch (that doesn't need to be rolled). Spend of your Trait.
You spent a fate to reroll - I assume that's for your wise.
You get to spend your other fate point to make 6s explode... and you did roll a 6! So, let's show that, too:
Reroll 6s [1d6] = 6
Reroll 6s [1d6] = 4
That's a total of 5 successes! That qualifies a a win for your team!

Troll's roll:
Troll 1/2 [1d6] = 5[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 1
Troll 2/2 [1d6] = 2[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 5

Final Disposition:
Party: 1 / 5
Troll: 0 / 8

The troll lunges abruptly, trying to catch Clough off his guard! It's wicked claws rend through the illusiory armor and leave a deep, bleeding gash on Clough's thigh. The Shining Paladin that is Clough in disguise bobs and weaves, but it is real heat that comes off of his "flaming blade." The Troll recoils.

"Begone! Flee this holy place, and if you ever return to this pool, I will smite thee until... you are smoten!" the illusiory paladin bellows.

The troll is shaken. It snarls once as a parting gesture and flees, dissappearing into the darkened caves beyond. (You achieved your win condition!)

Your ruse worked. Hands on your knees, your forms shift and morph, your flesh and clothing all returning back to their previous size, shape, and appearance. You are once again your grimy-clothed, equipment-less, hungry, terrified selves. You are also utterly Exhausted and Clough is Injured, the reality of the last 24 hours crashing upon you. (Major Compromise for lost disposition, applied to Clough, Haar, Ganna, and Cu Aislin) In fact, thinking over the tragically unfair outcomes of your adventure so far, with your exhausted bodies and hungry bellies, also makes you just plain Angry. (Next step on the Grind, this was the fourth move.)

The cave slowly brightens as the sunlight once again comes down the shaft from above. The pool sparkles and glows with the soft blue light, now seeming more wholesome with the troll gone, though its midden heaps still remain. The cavern glistens (Dim Light everywhere), refreshing after the long pitch blackness.

Haar sits by the campfire (Full light in that area), the savory smell of roast bat wafting from his spit. His stomach growls once more, feeling a little peckish since his midnight snack with the troll. Must be time for breakfast. Tabbi emerges from the midden heap, mewling at Haar's side and watching the bats on the spit. (He and Tabbi only regains Hungry from the grind and is not Angry like everyone else.) Grimm and Tancred emerge from hiding, realizing they are also Exhausted from the long night's tribulations. (Grind condition for them, since they weren't in the fight).

Ganna looks over at the Cu Aislin, now transformed back into his normal self, and realizes that he is flushed, sweaty, and trembling. With her healer's eye, there is no denying that the man has fever and chills and must be dreadfully Sick. (He was already angry, so the Grind pushes him to Sick.)

Session 1, Turn 12. Ninth turn of Adventure Phase (four turns to the Grind).

Party: (Conditions in Recovery order)
  • Clough (Hungry, Angry, Afraid, Exhausted, Injured)
  • Tancred (Hungry, Afraid, Exhausted)
  • Haar (Hungry, Afraid, Exhausted)
  • Ganna (Hungry, Angry, Afraid, Exhausted)
  • Cú Aislin (Hungry, Angry, Afraid, Exhausted, Sick)
  • Grimm (Hungry, Afraid, Exhausted)
  • Tabbi (Hungry, Injured)

You have time for three actions without triggering the Grind. You have three checks, so can Camp and spend them. Once you finish Camp, we will call this the End of the Session. I will award everyone new Fate and Persona points and start a new thread for the next segment. All your traits and wises reset at that point and are reusable.

I recommend:
  • Eating and drinking, getting your gear back. (neither costs actions, just roleplay)
  • looking at the Halfling's Merrymaking nature.
  • Looking at Ganna's ability to brew potions in Camp - which can be allowed in plural for increased difficulty.
  • Check your Goals for session one. You get awards at the session end here if you've acted on them. Make sure you do so before camp if you can.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#235 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred

Is the sword still visible? Could you explain where it is? Floating in the air? Hanging from something, etc.

We still have 3 turns before the Grind happens again, the troll should be driven off until a new session, so we should not have to worry about it. With all our conditions I don;t think we can help each other, but if there are any tasks we want to try before camping we should consider them.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Marullus »

About 10-15 feet below the surface of the water, an outcropping of stone juts out from the side, reaching almost the middle of the pool. Around and below the water continues down and down to the unfathomable depths of the cenote. The sword stands upright, its point sunk into the outcropping of stone just over 10' down and about 17' from the side. The water in the pool swirls now, small waves lapping the sides as they were not before.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Marullus »

This weekend is two weeks without an IC post. I appreciate the conversation in the OOC thread - per that discussion, I'm considering this game Completed.

Thanks for being great players! :D

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”