Round 2 Rules

Monsieur Rose
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Round 2 Rules

#1 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Character Creation:
  • Characters: 1E races and classes, including UA. Level 1.
  • Stats: Ability scores 4d6 drop 1.
  • Since this isn't a campaign, just for fun, if your rolls don't fulfill a class you want to play, you can bump up the scores to the minimum required.
  • HP: Max hp, except for rangers, who get 8+d8
  • Spells are allowed, just not lethal ones.
  • Resonable height and weight
  • Money: Max starting gold
  • Equipment: Weapons will be stowed in the armory. Other items are welcome. Maybe marbles, or oil?
Campaign ID is 805

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 2 Rules

#2 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rules for this game/ What players need to do:
  • Choose target of attack.
  • Choose the type of combat. Pummel, grapple, overbear.
  • Give me an idea of what you want to do. ex: punch this dude. Throw him off a railing. etc
  • Roll to hit. (d20)
That's it.

Summary of rules:
Three basic attack modes are recommended: PUMMEL, GRAPPLE, OVERBEAR. Each method of attack is explained separately, and each has its own rules and modifiers.

Pummel: Short version: Roll to hit. Magic armor bonuses and non-buckler shields don't factor into AC. On a hit, damage is done and there is a chance to stun for up to 10 segments. If stunned again while already stunned, chance to be knocked out for up to 4 rounds.
  • Damage: Small and soft objects (bare fists) do 1-2. Small and hard objects (mailed fists) do 1-3. Large objects (people, chairs) do 1-4.
  • To Hit: Normal hit rates apply, an initiative penalty of 4 applies unless attacking from rear or with surprise. Those get a 2 bonus.
  • Pummeling table: A simple matrix of combinations determines the damage and chance to stun. Three states of exposure: Exposed (leather or bare head). Semi-exposed (ring or plate). Unexposed (field or full plate).
    Four kinds of objects. Small and soft, small and hard, large and soft, and large and hard.
  • Since most people are exposed, I'll only post those here.
    • Small and soft: 2% chance to stun per STR point. 40% at 18/01
    • Small and hard, and Large and soft: 4% per point. 75% at 18/01
    • Large and hard: 5% per point. 95% at 18/01
Grapple: Short version: Roll to hit. Magic armor bonuses and non-buckler shields don't factor into AC. On a hit, the opponent can't act that round and is at -2 to hit and +2 to be hit until released. Grappling creatures larger than you isn't allowed unless the target is prone or people gang up.
  • Damage: No damage.
  • To Hit: Normal hit rates apply, an initiative penalty of 1 applies.
  • Grappling lasts until broken in these ways
    • Attacker releases
    • Opponent successfully hits attacker
    • Opponent grapples back
    • Opponent makes bend bars roll
    • Opponent is Theif-Acrobat who tumbles out of the hold
Overbear: Short version: Roll to hit. On a hit, the target is knocked prone. Prone targets are at a -2 to hit, and a +4 to be hit. Larger targets can be targeted by a group of smaller attackers.
  • Damage: No damage.
  • To Hit: Normal hit rates apply.
  • Overbearing: Once prone, larger targets can be pummeled or grappled by smaller attackers.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

I wonder how much effort would be involved in making Lug a barbarian. Would a barbarian be a pirate?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

I'm trying to remember the setting, but one of the campaign worlds I believe has 'Sea Barbarians'......but in looking over UA, it would seem the idea was mostly for more Conan/Celtic/Native American/Mongol type of 'barbarians'....but I guess that's Rose's call.

The climbing ability....if you'e been around ships for a while, along with the Leaping ability would probably come in handy....

As for Thief/Acrobat....by the book, a PC doesn't get the Acrobat part until 5th level.....unless you house-rule it Rose.....thoughts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I am just running Vonn as is.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

Rogg same.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Zhym wrote:I wonder how much effort would be involved in making Lug a barbarian. Would a barbarian be a pirate?
Sure, why not? Some sort of Viking type or sea barbarian. Pirating attracts an odd lot.

Lug already has the stats to be a barbarian. We'd just have to tweak his AC and HP. His AC actually stays the same at 10 without armor. His HP goes up to 14. (D12 base plus 2 for a barbarian CON of 15)
max_vale wrote:As for Thief/Acrobat....by the book, a PC doesn't get the Acrobat part until 5th level.....unless you house-rule it Rose.....thoughts?
I noticed that. Eventually. I don't see a huge benefit mechanically for the thief-acrobat. At 6th level (first for the TA) they get 6% bonus to pummel and 10% chance to evade. And I would like to see a TA in the rigging of the ship...How about this? We'll just make the TA get all its movement stuff, but at first level. So that they don't have more HP than others. To compensate, PP, OL, and FRT are halved. Shouldn't really come up in this scenario, but who knows?

Is anyone concerned about that? In a normal game, I'd be leary of doing it, but I don't see the harm here.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by tibbius »

TA hack seems ok to me.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Wow, that was an easy barbarian conversion! Lug is now a barbarian. :)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by max_vale »

I'm cool with Evan being a TA...though I'd LOVE to re-roll his DEX if that's possible?

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”