Quest #26 "Wet Rays Of Sunshine"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #26 "Wet Rays Of Sunshine"

#321 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

The Knife sighs."Well, that certainly puts a new spin on things. Oh don't start with that! You most certainly did not see it coming." He turns to the others.

"My backpack isn't that important. But I really would like my armor. I can't ask you to risk your lives for it though." He starts to remove Jinx's armor. "Maybe there's a way to get that at least." The gnome looks closely at size of the swimming shape and the dimensions of the dock they are standing on. "Maybe if I go under the dock on that side I can attach a rope to the armor and that thing will be too big to swim under and get me".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#322 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Noticing the menacing shadow in the water "Oh my, I don't like the looks of that. If we could come back tomorrow I could put it to sleep, but I can't really do anything now."

Thinking for a minute "If we could find another boat maybe with a long pole and a hook we could get it out now?"

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel looking at the dark form moving under the water: "If only we've come earlier... Well. Maybe trying with a long pole might be a good idea. Being so close to the shore it shouldn't be so deep, right?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

"The armor's already been down there a couple of hours. I'm afraid if I leave it overnight it will be ruined."

"The water's about twenty feet deep here. Maybe if I go down really slowly, whatever that is won't notice. Then I can grab the armor and you can all pull me up really quickly. Easy as cake...er...pie? I always get those two confused. Probably because I like cake more than pie. I mean, don't get me wrong, pie is delicious, but you can't beat cake, right? Nobody gets married then cuts a pie to celebrate, do they?"

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#325 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Looks at the Gnome shaking her head and smiling says "I'm not sure Knife, I think that might just be pretty much fishing for shark, not armor."

"Although if we put a big hook on one of the ropes could we toss it out and maybe snag the bundle? Or just bait the hook and try to catch the shark? Things seem pretty hungry out there, so it might really go after some rats on a hook."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#326 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

He squats on the dock to watch the sleek shape knifing through the water, his expression pensive. "I see no way around it," he says slowly, his mind working overtime on a solution. "But perhaps we could attach a snag of some kind to a rope and hook the armor, at least." He grimaces. "If I hadn't lost my own gear, I've got a grapling hook. Damn dwarves," he mutters.

He sets about rigging his hand axe to the end of the rope by the handle, leaving the head dangling as a sort of hook. "Think this'll do?" He gives it a hard tug to ensure his knot won't slip and lose the axe. "It's got no taste or scent, so surely our big fish over there will find more interesting things to do. "

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

"No way you're going in there, Knife. That thing's gonna smell you and eat you. Keyon seems to know that sea animals can smell underwater, as surprising as that may be! I've got myself a rope too, if that helps somwhat, but not hooked or curved weapons or tools that might help, unfortunately. I don't think the axe will be able to take anything back, but be ready to lose it if that thing bites it... Losing that is better than getting yourself pulled into the water and then eated... And, Knife, we got a reward. Worst case scenario, you can always try to buy some kind of armor here in town." The look on her face doesn't really look like she believes there's ANY kind of armor to be bought in this place.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#328 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Salvage Mission?
Starday, 20th of Goodmonth
Late Afternoon
Hot, Humid, Sunny, Sandy

Several possible solutions to this dilemma are suggested as an alternative to the gnome going back into the water. Only one of them is attempted.

Keyon secures his handax to the end of a rope and tries fishing the armor out of the water with it. He gets it hooked a couple of times, but when he starts pulling it up, it falls off and sinks to the bottom again.

The long, slim fish scatters initially, but eventually comes back, poking at the disturbance in the water with its long gar-like head.

Actions?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

"Twenty feet away and outwitted by a fish! Who'd have thought it would co...No! Don't say it! Oh don't play innocent. I know what you were about to say". The Knife goes back to staring at the water. Then suddenly exclaims "Fish! Fishermen! Didn't Captain Quark say they were short of food here?" He starts to put on his armor again. "I'm going to go tell the fisherman about this one right here. Maybe they'll catch it. Maybe they'll just scare it away". Once strapped into his armor again, he starts to trot down the dock towards the beach.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel scratches the back of her head, looking dumbfounded at the gnome as the scrams.

"I was about to say that we could tie a knife to a pole or a long branch... I think no one was expecting that."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#331 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The young swashbuckler sighs and retrieves his axe, giving it a dirty look as he unties the rope. "I--" Just that quick, the Knife is off. Keyon trails off, looking to the others with a blank expression for several seconds before he bursts into laughter.

"What a strange little man," he murmurs as he reassembles his meager belongings and coin and wanders after him. "He really is a force of nature."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#332 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Not sure what happened with Feanol, but I will push this along.

3 Elves And A Gnome Stare Into The Water.....
Starday, 20th of Goodmonth
Late Afternoon
Hot, Humid, Sunny, Sandy

After a few unsuccessful attempts to retrieve the tiny set of leathers off the bottom of the sea, Keyon notices that the tidal movement of the ocean is actually slowly pushing the armor towards the shore. If the gnome can be patient for a few days, it might just wash up on shore, eventually.

The Knife quickly looses that patience, stomping back down the dock to find some fishermen to solve this dilemma. He sees a few humans near their boats a short distance down the beach, but none of them appear to be fishing.

Elnaerel and Feanol watch the action with waning interest, wondering if this kind of thing is all they should expect from their new less than exciting life of adventure, or should we say, misadventure.

Keyon follows the gnome towards the boats on the beach.

Actions?

If any of you are finding this a little.....boring, you could always ask around about doing something else. This is a sandbox, remember. :D

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

When The Knife arrives on the beach, he sees the remains of the giant fish Captain Quark just provided.
"Ah. Yes. Probably not much interest in fishing today."

As he's standing there wondering what to do next, he notices people entering a building apparently named "Hi-Lo". Going in empty-handed and leaving with various goods. One chap even leaves with a backpack. "Ah....well buying one is slightly easier than being attacked by a giant fish..."

The Knife brushes himself down and heads off to the Hi-Lo.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#334 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

"Well Elnaerel, it looks as it's just us. I say we head for tavern they mentioned?"

If Keyon is close enough at hand she will try to call or wave him back to see if he wants to go.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#335 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The rogue pauses to watch The Knife stride purposefully away, then laughs as he rejoins the ladies. "I suppose he can manage his own affairs. I only went along for entertainment value. But you two are much nicer to look at, I must admit." Keyon seems a bit more himself now, once more at ease in his own skin. "Where to, ladies?"

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel smiles thinking about The Knife. "He's a funny fellow indeed." He sees to ignore Keyon's observation, but it doesn't seem to bother her either. It's comforting to see that the former pirate is coming to be himself again. In answer to her companions' queries she says: "I think the tavern is our better option. Did the princess go there? I still think I owe her. Not that I think you should be bound to get in any way. I'm just talking about me.

Anyway, let's go to the tavern if that's alright with you and let's see what we get."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#337 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If you didn’t know, the tavern thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6325

Lots of strange and interesting people in there at the moment. :D

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#338 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

"Yes to the tavern, and Elnaerel we do owe her for that kindness."

With that she leads the way as if she knows where to go.

Return to “Completed Missions”