Chapter 1: Greatwall

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Greatwall

#61 Post by ChubbyPixie »

“The wagons and yourselves? Then we are to guard the most precious of cargos, it seems. Never fear! I specialize in the protection of Beautiful Women! I will see to your safe transport myself!” shouts Kranstön. He winks at the woman conspiratorially. ”I hope you like music,” he adds wheeling his drum around. “My marching songs have even been known to hasten a dreary march. I think you’ll find me quite useful.”

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by hedgeknight »

"That's on a need to know basis, Master Dwarf," Malin says, standing up and adjusting his belt, "...and quite frankly, you do not need to know. Your job is to guard our wagons and ourselves. We are not combatants really, we are merchants. I suggest you purchase horses and weaponry for the trip. I assume you have been paid by the Captain, yes?"
“The wagons and yourselves? Then we are to guard the most precious of cargos, it seems. Never fear! I specialize in the protection of Beautiful Women! I will see to your safe transport myself!” shouts Kranstön. He winks at the woman conspiratorially. ”I hope you like music,” he adds wheeling his drum around. “My marching songs have even been known to hasten a dreary march. I think you’ll find me quite useful.”
Emerall claps her hands and laughs gleefully. "Oh, Master Dwarf! You must play for us! Give us a sample of what is to come on our journey, won't you?"

Malin groans and looks up as another elf joins the table.
Muldgarr Petri, one of the five, I greet you all on this evening of the clouded moon.
Emerall smiles at the wood elf, Malin scowls.
"Good to have you along, Muldgarr," Malin says, leaning back in his chair, taking a sip of his beer. "You got here just in time. We're about to be entertained, it seems."

Before Kranston can launch into a song, Cassius, who has been waiting somewhat patiently to speak, pipes in.
"The Captain has covered the expense, yes. If it's ok with you, I'd prefer to ride on one of the wagons, I find it quite difficult to fire a longbow from horseback. Also, if the worst happens, someone will be with the wagons."
"You may ride with me in my wagon," Emerall says. "There's plenty of room."

Cassius nods and says, "It looks like everyone is here. Should we go look at the cargo and make sure everything is in order?"
"Trust me, everything is in perfect order. Dawn comes early; I suggest we all get some sleep," Malin says, standing up and giving the rest of you glance as he tosses a couple of coins on the table.

Back at the bar, Lorynn says to Sai, "A great horned owl, you say? And you actually...talk with this bird, eh?"

While at Jasmulus' table...
"So there is truly nothing about this trip that worries you, friend? Is there anything specific you can tell me that the others might not? I somehow cant believe that this is simply a common trade mission."
Jasmulus regards Montego quietly for a few moments, then says, "Montego...friend...trade missions are important. Without trade this fort, and several others would not be able to survive. So, no, in times like these it isn't a 'common trade mission.' It's a matter of life and death. Are you sure you and your companions can handle such a task?"
Winter is coming...

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Yes, Lorynn. I can talk with it and we are telepathically linked. He will follow commands and has even saved my life a few times. Once I was caught behind enemy lines during the war and Talon managed to bring be food and show me the way to fresh water. He is very smart and allows my vision at night to be far superior to most elves.

He leans onto the bar and lowers his voice. talking softly.

If you are willing and would be interested I have a deal for you. If we get into trouble I will send Talon to your Inn. If each night at dusk, you would open your highest window for a short time to allow him to deliver a message to you. I will only send him in dire straights. I will introduce you in the morning if your willing. I have a strange feeling about this journey. A Fort Commander does not just hand over 250 gold each to 6 warriors and send them out to guard Merchants. Something is afoot but I can't figure out what it is.

Speaking louder again, to give the illusion of making preparations.

If you would have the goods ready tomorrow I would be greatly appreciated.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Well, I do have a little something I've been mulling over. It's not finished yet, but I do have the conclusion," says Kranstön. He bows and flourishes his new hat before deftly replacing it. He clears his throat to signal an impending performance, then, tapping out a marching rhythm, begins:

...The caravan did stumble on,
A bandit ambush, evilly sown,
The guards and merchants thereupon
Could all be heard to moan:

"Though danger rears its ugly head
Our danger does not grow
Our boredom rises in its stead
As on we steadily go"

"The dwarven hero in the lead
Has urged on his mighty steed
To vanquish foes and sing the deed!
He' all the guard we seem to need!
A dwarf of high renown!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#65 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego stands up from the table, now certain that he wont get any inside information until the group is out on the trail, when it will be too late.

He looks over at his group and then back to Jasmulus. "I will stake my life on it, sir! Until the morrow, then good sirs and madame."

With that, the huge human moves off to a chair near the door to enjoy the dwarves song before slipping back out of the tavern to borrow a horse.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

Cassius nods and addresses Emerall with a reserved smile. "Thank you. I'll try to not be a bother." He stands when Malin ends the conversation. "Very good. Shall we meet here at dawn? Are you staying at this Inn, or should we change rooms to provide security tonight? I have some business to attend to at midnight, but I will return as soon as possible."

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#67 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr claps as Kranston finishes his ditty. Very well then, I will take my leave and meet you all at dawn.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by hedgeknight »

Sai & Lorynn:
"You mean...well...sure, that will be just fine. My room is just above the tavern. I normally keep the river window open at night anyway." Lorynn says, fidgeting with a scabbed over cut on the side of his left hand. "I'm honored you'd trust me with this, Sai. I promise to do right by you."

In somewhat of a huff, Montego leaves Jasmalus and passes the table with Cassius, Kranston, and the two merchants, Malin & Emerall. As he walks by, Cassius is about to leave...something about business to attend to at midnight. Meanwhile, with a flourish of his hat, Kranston sings a tune, and all through it, the lovely elf smiles and claps her hands, while her merchant partner scowls and rolls his eyes.

As Kranston rings out the final words...

"The dwarven hero in the lead
Has urged on his mighty steed
To vanquish foes and sing the deed!
He' all the guard we seem to need!
A dwarf of high renown!"

...Muldgarr stands and claps along, as does Lorynn and the barmaid, Trilena.
Smiling, Cassius takes his leave (after being reassured by Malin that he and his merchant friends will be safe for the night), along with Montego, and Muldgarr, who says he will see everyone at dawn.

"We'll have some hot biscuits for you boys...and erm, girls...to take with you down the road," Trilena says, blushing slightly.

Emerall claps longer than the others and then lays a slight hand on Kranston's shoulder.
"Master Dwarf, what a treat that was indeed! And just what we needed to end this evening and prepare for tomorrow's journey. I trust we can count on you to send us off on the morrow with something just as delightful. Perhaps a song from your homeland, yes?"

Malin stands and looks at Emerall, and with a bow of her head to all those still around, she bids everyone a good eve and follows Malin out of the tavern. Jasmalus gathers his things and hurries along after them, saying nothing to no one as he goes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Should you wish, my next post will begin on the morrow at dawn with the group ready to embark.
If you have further business in town, we can use your private threads to work it out.
Winter is coming...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kranstön bows low with a flourish. "It shall be as you desire. To the promise of tomorrow and adventures begun," he says.

He will linger on for a bit in the tavern, feeling quite in his element, before finally gathering his things and retiring.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai thanks the bartender and heads off to his room to finish his food and drink before bed.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Return to “Previous Adventures”