Round 1 Rules

Monsieur Rose
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Round 1 Rules

#1 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Character Creation:
  • Characters: 1E races and classes. Level 1.
  • Stats: Ability scores 4d6 drop 1.
  • Since this isn't a campaign, just for fun, if your rolls don't fulfill a class you want to play, you can bump up the scores to the minimum required.
  • HP: Max hp, except for rangers, who get 8+d8
  • Spells are allowed, just not lethal ones.
  • Resonable height and weight
  • Money: Max starting gold
  • Equipment: Weapons will be checked at the door, along with any armor higher than studded. The Saucy Tart has standards. Other items are welcome. Maybe marbles, or oil?
Campaign ID is 805
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 1 Rules

#2 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm going to try to keep most of this off you guys, but here are the rules as written for unarmed combat in 1E.

*Edit* I was going to copy down the rules, but that would get messy and I'm going to assume that everyone can get a copy of the rules if needed. I will, however, summarize.

Rules for this game/ What players need to do:
  • Choose target of attack.
  • Choose the type of combat. Pummel, grapple, overbear.
  • Give me an idea of what you want to do. ex: punch this dude. Throw him off a railing. etc
  • Roll d100. Twice. Lower is better on the to-hit roll, higher is better on the results roll.
That's it.

Other notes:
  • All damage is rounded down.
  • Initiative is based on Suprise, charging to attack, DEX, die roll. In that order.
  • Each combatant gets an attack when punching or grappling, not just the attacker. (The attacker picks the target and literally gets into a fight with them)
I'm going to provide each combatant's to hit percentile scores in-game, so you have an idea of who's an easy mark. I won't give them out until they fight, however. For example:

(NPC) Thundarr the Barbarian: P: 75%, G: 80%
(PC) Bob the Bard: P: 80%/19%, G: 80%/14% (Base defense/bonus to hit)

Thundarr's base chance to be punched is 75%, plus the 19% bonus to punch Bob has. Thundarr is going to be punched. I'll add up the results modifiers to see what kind of damage Bob does and describe. Bob rolls a 21% on the results table. He strikes a glancing blow for 2 damage.

Summary of rules:
Three basic attack modes are recommended: PUMMEL, GRAPPLE, OVERBEAR. Each method of attack is explained separately, and each has its own table and modifiers.

But first a variable.

Variable Applicable To All Pummeling, Grappling, and Overbearing Attacks:
Basically, there is a random variable tossed in to add some more accounting, I guess? The attacker gets a d6 plus what THAC0 tier they are on to add to an attack. The defender gets a d4 plus tier. These numbers modify the percentile roll, so not that significant. I plan on just rolling this on my side and keeping track of it that way. PC's will have the most favorable option used for them.
Pummel:
  • Damage: 25% of damage is real, rest is temporary, restored at 1 per round. Unconscious at 0. Knocked out for however much temporary damage taken, plus one, in rounds.
  • To Hit: There is a base score to hit, based off the AC of the victim. AC 10 = 100% base chance. This is modified based on the attacker's stats and the defender's condition.
  • Pummeling table: There is a percentile chart listing damage and results. Basically, it's 2dmg + STR bonus per 20% rolled. The final number is modified by the attacker's STR, what they are hitting with, the defender's status, DEX, and what they are wearing.
  • To top it all off, each attack can have multiple strikes, depending on the roll. So one could conceivably give someone the old one-two. or three.
Grapple:
  • Damage: 25% of damage is real, rest is temporary, restored at 1 per round. Unconscious at 0. Knocked out for however much temporary damage taken, plus one, in rounds.
  • To Hit: There is a base score to hit, based off the AC of the victim. AC 10 = 100% base chance. This is modified based on the attacker's stats and the defender's condition, and armor.
  • Grappling must be done with empty hands.
  • Grappling table: There is a percentile chart listing damage and results. Basically, it's 1dmg + STR bonus per 15% rolled. Approximately. The final number is modified by the attacker's STR, DEX, the defender's status, DEX, STR, what they are wearing. The difference in weight and height between the two fighters is a 5% modifier per 10% difference.
  • To top it all off, some grapples can be held, inflicting damage each turn.
Overbear:
  • Damage: 50% of damage is real, rest is temporary, restored at 1 per round. Unconscious at 0. Knocked out for however much temporary damage taken, plus one, in rounds.
  • To Hit: There is a base score to hit, based off the AC of the victim. AC 10 = 100% base chance. This is modified based on the attacker's stats and the defender's condition, and armor.
  • Overbearing can be done with objects in hands.
  • Overbearing table: There is a percentile chart listing damage and results. Basically, it's 1dmg + STR bonus per 20% rolled. Starting at 40%. The final number is modified by the attacker's STR, and movement, the defender's status, DEX, STR. The difference in weight and height between the two fighters is a 10%/5% modifier per 10% difference.
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 1 Rules

#3 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”