OOC Chatter II

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter II

#961 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:Dwarves live about twice as long as humans. Elves only live three times as long as humans.
What was your rationale for this, BTW? Not that I'm complaining. I always wondered why an elf who can live for centuries would risk his life by going out adventuring; a lifespan that's only three times that of a human makes that less of an issue. That's probably not what you had in mind, though.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#962 Post by Marullus »

The rationale here was that this game is deliberately heavy on discovering history. A cataclysm ended everything 5,000 years ago and the Southlands began recording written history only 2,000 years ago. Excessive ages and long memories spoil the idea that you're discovering things truly lost to time.

Otherwise, you know I love all things Tolkien, and elven longevity causing their reluctance to act is a fundamental theme. I love that Elrond and the first King of Numenor were twin brothers who chose different fates (as half-elves they had to pick a side). Elrond made a nice house and lived in a Valley. The other founded the line of kings that led all the way to Aragorn, including all of Gondor and Arnor and everything humans under them did. It's telling.

It just doesn't work here. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#963 Post by Zhym »

Tolkien elves make great NPCs, but sometimes they don't work at all as PCs.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#965 Post by Marullus »

Indeed, and to you as well! :)

Last year brought the change where I looked to shut down this game due to my change in life/work balance. 2019 showed remarkable resilience and your willingness to accept slower post rates to keep this game alive. Thank you all. I appreciate your desire to keep these tales going.

I also appreciate Spearmint and Stirling for stepping up and DMing stories to help breathe fresh life and inspiration into the Gameworld. Thank you both!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#966 Post by Stirling »

So sorry I was away from the keyboard for so long, I can appreciate that it contributed immensely to players withdrawing from the game. Unfortunately it was a business matter I had to deal that took me away for a a few weeks over the new year.

updates in my games and character actions shortly.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”