Wizards Guild Planning Committee

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Wizards Guild Planning Committee

#101 Post by Zhym »

I'm almost done putting all the guild rules and services in the main thread. I'm framing the whole thing in terms of the university (Students, Faculty, etc.). The last thing is to put in the overview and the services for the public. Here's what I was thinking of putting in for public services:

NPC Recruiting:
  • Anyone with friendly status with the University may recruit NPC apprentices.
  • The default status is "friendly" for everyone except followers of gods hostile to arcane magic.
Scrolls: The following scrolls are available for purchase:
  • Comprehend Languages: 200 gp
  • Floating Disc: 200 gp
  • Light: 200 gp
  • Unseen Servant: 200 gp
  • Continual Light: 400 gp
  • Locate Object: 400 gp
Spells: An apprentice will cast the following spells for a fee:
  • Magic Aura - 150 gp
  • Detect Magic - 150 gp
  • Detect Evil - 300 gp
  • Dispel Magic - 500 gp
Thoughts? Marullus, can we offer item research for a fee?

BTW, we could add Detect Invisible to the guild library for 400 gp (the price of buying a scroll from Pierpont).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

I've added everything to the main thread here: viewtopic.php?f=438&t=8569&p=446885#p446885

Everyone, please take a look at it and let me know if it seems okay. If so, I think we're good to go.

Those of you who want to copy spells from the library, go ahead and post in that thread (I'll do it for Pendleton soon).

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw so will use some of his 22 free spell levels. Also is there a place where I can find what spells are in which Idiom?

1st lvl
Light
Unseen Servant

2nd lvl
Invisibility
Detect Evil

3rd lvl
Dispel Magic
Fireball
Fly

15 of 22 free spell levels used. Unless they all need to be used now? Baxtaw find all rules and guidelines acceptible.

Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Zhym »

Baxtaw actually gets 42 free spell levels because he also donated 2,000 gp. The updated rules allow copying one free spell level per 100 gp donated at founding.

The spell levels don't all have to be used at once. I'm tracking in the main thread how many spell levels people have copied (here: viewtopic.php?f=438&t=8569#p446887). If you'd post in that thread, it'll make it easier to keep track later. I'll update Baxtaw's total.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Darklin2 »

Zhym wrote:I'm almost done putting all the guild rules and services in the main thread. I'm framing the whole thing in terms of the university (Students, Faculty, etc.). The last thing is to put in the overview and the services for the public. Here's what I was thinking of putting in for public services:

NPC Recruiting:
  • Anyone with friendly status with the University may recruit NPC apprentices.
  • The default status is "friendly" for everyone except followers of gods hostile to arcane magic.
Scrolls: The following scrolls are available for purchase:
  • Comprehend Languages: 200 gp
  • Floating Disc: 200 gp
  • Light: 200 gp
  • Unseen Servant: 200 gp
  • Continual Light: 400 gp
  • Locate Object: 400 gp
Spells: An apprentice will cast the following spells for a fee:
  • Magic Aura - 150 gp
  • Detect Magic - 150 gp
  • Detect Evil - 300 gp
  • Dispel Magic - 500 gp
Thoughts? Marullus, can we offer item research for a fee?

BTW, we could add Detect Invisible to the guild library for 400 gp (the price of buying a scroll from Pierpont).

Why could you not have PC Apprentices to recruit for money and missions. New Characters get small gold and outfitting a character at starts is expensive. A 1st level Mage with 3 spells is not going to have money or spells to contribute. I would be a student and PC Apprentice because starting out I have very little gold. Maybe new characters could Apprentice and get a share of the gold that is received for casting the NPC spells listed. Or assist with the research and learning. Working off spells learned or earning money by helping with research or casting spells for the Guild to increase profits and services for the guild. It just looks like a bunch of Rich, High level Mages trading spells. Just thoughts as a new PC.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Zhym »

Yeah, the spells available to non-members are pretty expensive, but they're in line with the prices for spells from other sources. As for being able to contribute spells, a player could design a new PC to be able to join the guild if the roll for starting gold is decent: pick a spell not already in the spell library (at the moment, the library doesn't have Hold Portal or Shield) and pay 50 gp for materials to copy another spell from the library. It's not cheap, given the amount of money a new PC starts with, but it's feasible.

If you read back through this thread, you'll see a lot of discussion about what the guild can and should offer to low-level PCs. Personally, I never really thought of the guild as something for newly rolled PCs freshly arrived from the south. The guild is based on everyone contributing something (or a lot) to get something (or a lot). Higher-level PCs are in a better position to do that, which is why it seems like a high-level PC club. I would expect, however, that a newish PC would be in a a position to join after returning from one expedition.

But allowing new PC's to work for their spells is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how it would work, though. Marullus already has a "day job" mechanic, where a PC can make a little coin by plying a trade during downtime. I don't know if PC apprenticeships would fit within that model. If so, the pay is likely to be small, like a few gold per month, not a share of "profit" (the tenured faculty don't even get that!).

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Marullus?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

I intended that new PCs with a good gold rolls could get something. The rules are otherwise such that they can get spells at minimum cost (50gp/spell level) as soon as they get some adventuring gold.

I already discussed with Darklin2 and I am allowing retroactively joining the expedition.

Otherwise, I don't mind downtime work. It earns gold for each full month spent, which is a convenient way to push the clock forward. It is not lucrative and can't replace Adventure, but could get an extra spell or two. The problem in this instance is that Winter is next and all PCs are Adventuring, so if downtime is done first it will be several RL months without another opportunity.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”