The Golden Tooth Tavern

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#681 Post by Bluetongue »

"Lead onwards, friend."
Fairfax's eyes light up. "I've pulled!" he thinks then begins to stammer a reply.

"Well, a tour of Gaul certainly. There is a tree to Beith and you maidens simply must see the Tribute archway and a newly built wrought gate for a local hero."

On the way he rabbits on about his great exploits of bravado and escape at the Fall Festival(blagged of course since he nearly drowned in the barrel and remained cuffed for a day).

"Gaul, quaint and dreary. The best treasures are beyond the walls. A halfling Ladyships tried to scout the ancient forest due north of here. Accounts of grizzly hybrids, dwellers in the deep and fey folk like Pixie's, centaur and there is a family of one eyed giants. Can't all be bad. Town guards mutter about orc raiding parties being spotted and well I hear a rumour of a baleful green dragon stalking the woods looking for revenge on the people who skinned her twins. How many hobbit skins are needed to clothe a dragon you suppose?"

Fairfax wanders the town with Laila, in thrall to her ever-so-green eyes (perhaps SHE is the green dragon in disguise?) and unconsciously, habitually checks his wallet pouch.

"Well, I am going to explore. In fact I will leave ... err ... the day after tomorrow. Time to plan and collect resources. It would be great to have such eloquent and skilled company. You can use that sword can't you?"

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#682 Post by Faanku »

As Laila follows the miniscule bard around the bleak settlement, her face displays nothing but muted interest as she questions her earlier decision. Gods, there is no end to his prattling. Surely my instincts have not begun to fade already? The landmarks and services the man points out pass by one by one, until he speaks of the lands beyond the city boundaries. Feyfolk, centaurs, all manner of exotic beasts that she had only heard tales of in the City. Even if they have no hoards to plunder, surely the hides of such magical creatures would fetch a fair price. And how satisfying a feeling would a blade offer being guided through their mythical flesh?

As if he had picked up on the insidious thief's malevolent train of thought, she responds to Fairfax's inquiry into her swordsmanship with a rare smile, radiating innocence. "If the situation demands, friend. I shall be staying at the Inn for the next day or two. Seek me there; I shall await our departure."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#683 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax Socrates

The halfling agrees to call on the elf maiden later and uses the next day to plan for the expedition. Prompted that the Lady Halfpint might be in town he seeks her out and suggests they join up for the forest exploration.

"Your honour, my ladyships'." He is not so familiar with the nuances of titles. "I heard your last attempt to scout the forest ended abruptly. But I abd some new adventurers are willing to go abd well ... adventure, if it ties in with your plans to meet and greet the locals." He doesn't share about the possibility of some elf stabbing a sword into a mythical local of course.

Fairfax is ready to go whenever the expedition gets off the ground.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#684 Post by onlyme »

I dont really know where Halfpint has been snoozing these last 6 months of real life, so hopefully she made her way back to Gaul for this encounter?

Halfpint listens to the fellow halfling's willingness to attempt once again to scout the lands placed under her management.

"Aye, it was a bit disappointing, but I believe we must keep trying. I offer no promises on payment of course. Like when I first came north, most folks here have found enough odds and ends to satisfy their needs by the time they return to town. My goals are to scout the areas, so we know what types of creatures are living amongst us.
I also want to make friendly acquaintances with the pixies supposedly there. Under no circumstances would you be to appear aggressive toward them.
If those still seem adventurous enough for you, we can leave as soon as the morrow.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#685 Post by Zhym »

Fingers McGraw, Totally Respectable Businessman, takes a seat at the bar and asks for his traditional free post-expedition pint of the strong dark.

"I know I can just afford to pay for it now," he says, "but, hey, a free pint's a free pint. And now it's kind of like a celebration of not getting killed, y'know?" He pauses and shudders. "Well, of coming back alive, anyway. Turns out there's a difference. The world is just full up of things that want to kill me. Hella safer here in town, I tell you what. Even with the occasional dragon that threatens to burninate the town."

After downing the free drink, he orders another (paying for this one). "How are things in town, Hyde? Are they as quiet it seems from the crappy business my shop has been getting?"

(-2 sp for beer + tip)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#686 Post by Marullus »

"Ha! HA! Quiet, eh?" grins Hyde through his snaggletooth smile, sliding over a mug of the southern stout. "Had a dragon attack only three months ago. Farmers under siege from demons of hell for half the summer until the Templars and wizards plugged that he'll hole they opened. Had most of my rooms full what with all you adventurers being in town since the Fall Festival. Still got your adventure maps on the table in the corner, there." he nods to the quiet and forlorn table. "Don't know why you all are so busy, anyway... Always rushing off to try and die in new ways, nobody taking time to talk and enjoy my bar, eh? Ever since that feckin' lumberjack ensorcelled my dwarven customers and ran them into the dragon's fire it cost more than half of my regulars. I wonder what they are up to in their new halls, sometimes."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#687 Post by Zhym »

"Yeah, this place ain't the same since everyone got their own towers and stuff all over the northlands," agrees Fingers. "I liked it better when you could just come in here and rustle up an expedition party in no time flat. And maybe some of 'em would have come over to my shop. You'd think a magic shop would do booming business, right? I mean, I have a crystal ball! No one in this stupid town wants to see and hear what's far away and hidden? No one has family back home they'd like to spy—I mean check in on to make sure they're okay? And I have a bank! People are just lousy with money around here! You'd think they'd want to stash it somewhere safe! But everyone spends it as quickly as they make it, or they just carry it around with them." He gulps his drink and motions for another. "You know what this town needs? More crime. Then they'd want to put their money in a bank!"

"Anyway, I remember the dragon and all that," protests Fingers over his beer. "I haven't been gone that long! Just over a month. The dragon was last summer! And the Templars and wizards left town the same day I did—damned near tripped over my dog in their hurry, too."

"And that's the best you got? A bunch of idiots who don't know better than to go up against a dragon in a straight-up fight getting burningated, and a few pesky demonlings?" he asks with a grin. "We went up against wraiths! And poison spiders! A trapped wind spirit lady who was totally pissed off and buried all the good loot we were gonna take! Dive-bombing gargoyles! A whole bunch of ghost knights who now call Mark'd their boss! And there was a crazy elf that killed my dog with a poison trap pit!"

He stops, all the glee of this little debate gone. When he speaks again, his voice is quiet. "But then Winnie brought him back. Or I guess Beith did, really."

He sits silently a while, thinking and drinking. Unusually, there's more thinking than drinking.

"I gotta go for a while," he finally says. "If anyone asks, tell 'em I'm up at Beith's Watch."

-1s, 10c

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#688 Post by Marullus »

Hyde salutes. "I'll send 'em your way. Bout your pawn shop, though... I think you need some better stuff. Like knock over some old dead wizard's place like those fellas with the talking badger did. Now THEY got a good story." He grins.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#689 Post by Zhym »

"Getting stuff ain't been my main problem," answers Fingers as he leaves. "It's finding buyers. Everyone who can afford the stuff I've got to sell already has their great-great-grand-uncle's Sword of Hereditary Awsomeness or some damn thing. Makes it hard to sell the stuff we find laying around in tombs, y'know? But I'll keep it in mind."

"Anyway, see ya later. Stay safe."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#690 Post by Marullus »

October 14, 2021
It pours overnight, wet and cold as the nights get longer and longer. The sun is only in the sky about 11 hours a day now, and will shorten considerably as the winter solstice approaches, still a long way off. The rain continues throughout the day, making everything sodden.

With a gloomy, overcast sendoff, Foxy O'Hare and her retainers depart, leading Sir Ludwig to the Dwarf Halls for his installment as the new Emissary of Gaul.

Expedition: Foxy/Monoc Mages

October 15, 2021
Waiting for the rains of the previous day to pass, Fingers, Markd, Bandy, Idriss, and Hengist set out westward, whispering about their return to a ghost-ruled city, which they aim to take as their own.

Expedition: Fingers/Wizard Tower of the Ghost Keep

For all those that remain in town, this day has an ominous edge. It fell below freezing overnight and the townsfolk and farmers woke to the first hard frost. Winter is coming, no longer escapable. The demeanor of town life changes, moving to wool-wrapped scurryings and whispers as the days darken. The last two winters saw harsh deprivation and the town has grown signficantly this year, facing plagues of both dragons and demonspawn in the growing season. The future is dark and uncertain.

Only in the warmth and bright fires of the taverns do people find some cheer and revelry.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#691 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton Kettleworth seeks out Foxy O'Hare before she leaves town.

"I understand that you plan an expedition to locate the red-robed Mages of Monoc. May I ask what your intentions are should you find them? I have heard of their order, and find them to be fascinating, if a bit morally...flexible."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#692 Post by Stirling »

Fresh from the Fall Festival and 'inbetween' expeditions, Foxy is found in the tavern.

"I have long voiced my concerns over this carnal order of mages, 'Illuminati' who wrap themselves in the crimson colour of their evil deeds. The priests and sages have known about them for a while but have chosen to remain indifferent to their resurgence.

Of course you know their recent history of trading the young maidens of Gaul to use as sacrificial offerings in exchange for empowering the goblins with dreadlord relics. One acolyte I named 'Longshadow', for he casts a baleful aura. I trust his masters skinned him as he feared. They have eyes upon Zhint and the treasures of knowledge within. I would at least halt their expansion plans and pull their ruin down around their ears."

Foxy though has only a rumour to their stronghold and while plainly full of 'blood and thunder', possibly ill equipped to face such a nefarious threat alone.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#693 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton looks perplexed. "Do I understand, then, that your plan is to attack the Monoc Mages? How many have you assembled toward this purpose?"

"I am curious, too—what was your source of information about the mages' sacraficial rituals?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#694 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"They are not tales of fish wives and fear mongers. The Duke's senior advisor Wilhelm shared his wisdom with me and 'in the Truth of Confession', Brother Mylo has aired his voice to the congregation of penitents. I would not besmirtch their reputations by calling them narrow minded or befuddled in their conclusions." yea, like hell she wouldn't!

"Besides, the mage we de-robed of his dignity and powers, confessed such as he pleaded for his life. I would have called his life forfeit but for the interventions of the druid boy. Charmed he was by the smooth silver tongue the mage spoke with. Besides, slaying the mage meant no message of warning would reach their chambers."

"As to rallying men. I have done as always. I choose to go. And the brave come with me. People follow freely of their own volition, there is no charm in my words or coercion in my goblet of wine. The risks and rewards we all share equally. My Sgt-at-arms and lancers are volunteers not conscripts. We ride shortly for Verdun. I hope the dwarves will support such a venture in their foothills. As to slaying. I would be content to scout first and use judgement to pre-empt any strike. Perhaps two heads are better than one?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#695 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton can't help but raise an eyebrow at Foxy's responses to what, he thought, were straightforward, sensible questions. He had asked about her plans, her forces, and her source of information—questions any reasonable person would ask when weighing the risks and potential rewards of joining an expedition. The gandiloquent defensiveness of her replies surprises him, even having heard of her reputation. Perhaps she knows that reputation, thus the defensiveness. And yet...so many words, containing so few answers to his queries. This is not a person who can be trusted to allow cooler heads to prevail in the face of danger.

"I see," he says levelly. "Well, your mission is indeed intriguing, but I do have ever so much work to do here. I wish you and your companions the best of luck in your travels."

Your companions will certainly need it, he thnks to himself after Foxy has left.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#696 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"Thank you for your enquiry and concerns. I am sure the future Wizard's guild tower will take much of your time. Being built where once stood an infernal portal. I ventured to explore those dread caverns and was fortunate to be carried out, more dead than alive. So too in the goblin halls and my joust with Scatha. I hope we both have dealt with the diabolic fiends for the last time."

She wishes the mage well in his endeavours.

Thought she responded with enough info albeit spoken in character. She actually took the question of 'source material' as being primarily aimed at her conversation with the demonic Wolfwere fiend, which you could know about IC if you believed rumours from the other surviving trooper but it wouldn't be something she would admit too. Hence quoting conversations with other authority figures which would give plausibility to her views.

She doesn't take the rejection personally. And she could agree with your conclusions.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#697 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton Kettleworth, Sep. 3 – Sep. 24

Pendleton pays for three weeks of good meals and a basic room until construction is finished on the new wizards' guild tower.

21 days good meals @ 5sp/day: 10 gp 5 sp
21 days basic room @ 1sp/night: 21 sp
Total: 12 gp 6 sp

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#698 Post by Dram »

BAxtaw- Listens to the conversation between Foxy and the others. When they are done speaking he approaches Foxy. Thank you for your well wishes for the guild. And I thank you for your heroism in facing Scatha defending the people and city of Gaul. You wounded the dragon so that myself and others could defeat him in the Dwarven Ruins.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#699 Post by Darklin2 »

Falco walks into the Inn. Pulls the door closed after his dog "Talon" enters behind him. Dressed in heavy cloak and he pulls the hood back and shivers.

Mighty cold out there today. Winter is coming, might be here.

He moves to a table near the fire and has Talon lay close by. As the serving girl approaches.

Hello. How are you doing today? My name is Falco Falsestaff. How is the food here? So what do you have in the way of rooms. A single room would be great but the common room is OK if that is all you have. I would like a good hearty meal and one of the local brews. Maybe you can point me in the right direction? I am looking for the Local Wizard's Guild/ Hoping to get hired on to help with spell research and maybe earn some gold. Do you know of any jobs openings around here?
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#700 Post by Marullus »

Sometime in late September

Falco Falsestaff is greeted warmly by the hideously ugly, hulking bartender who's undimmed grin reveals his famous Gold Tooth. He points out Pendleton as the leader of the Mage Guild. The young farmer is introduced to Foxy and received the opportunity to join the ArchMagus and famous female warrior...

I will retroactively add Falco to the expedition.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”