Allow users to change the phpBB display style

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Allow users to change the phpBB display style

#1 Post by Zhym »

Would it be possible to turn on the option to let users choose a board display style? I don’t know what styles are installed by default, but a “dark mode” style would be really handy, for example.

Thanks!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Allow users to change the phpBB display style

#2 Post by dmw71 »

This might be a Greg thing.

I did dig through the admin options a bit, and did find a 'Default style' option which has a 'ProNight' option, but it's an all-or-nothing thing. I'm not even positive what it does, but it sounds like a dark theme option.

I admittedly didn't spend a ton of time digging, but I didn't see an option to make this option available at the user level. That functionality may exist, but I haven't found it if it does.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

According to the phpBB docs, there's an option to "Override user style" in General -> "Board Configuration" -> "Board settings" under the admin control panel. If that's set, we don't even get an option to choose a style. And that makes sense if you only have one style installed. If you install more than one style, then you can set a default style that everyone gets unless they choose another one.

https://www.phpbb.com/styles/installing/

Any admin may be able to turn on the option to let users choose a theme, but installing new themes is almost certainly a Greg thing.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Yes this is definitely a Greg thing.

When I started these boards I wanted everyone's interface to look the same so that they had the same experience. I also noticed that certain mods and the custom header that I applied would break when using a different skin. At this point, I'm not terribly motivated to change this. I just tried the dark theme and it broke a few things. I just don't have the time right now to sort it all out and make sure everything works for multiple themes.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

That's too bad. Just to explain: a dark mode theme would match dark mode in the new iOS. It's really nice when lying in bed next to someone who wants to be sleeping. But web sites still display using whatever colors they're set for.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things break? If I had the choice, I think I'd accept the site not displaying perfectly if it meant I could check in on the site without annoying my wife. Marital harmony beats user experience. :D

Thanks for looking into it, anyway.

Return to “Suggestions”