The Ogre's Two Heads (Coach House & Tavern)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Ogre's Two Heads (Coach House & Tavern)

#1 Post by Starbeard »

A large multistoried complex commanding an impressive view of and access to the river, the coach house of Amistad provides wilderness travelers with all of their needs while in town. The interior is broad and open, with several large stone fireplaces and fire pits strewn about for dim lighting and warmth. The accoutrements are spartan and rugged, but not uncomfortable; like the structure itself, the furniture is hewn from local greenwood and stretched over with fine hides.

The coach house's main proprietor is a hulking woman of the wilderness known only as The Grizzly Woman, seen always in her mountain furs and talking strange about strange things. Her black bear, also unnamed but known to the locals as Huckleberry on account of his preference for the fruit of that bush, roams the coach house freely, and if the bear finds a customer unpleasant then The Grizzly Woman will not tolerate him in her den. She hangs her weapon of choice, the thick branch of an oak tree bristling at one end with the sharpened teeth and antlers of her worthiest prey, on the mantle next to the best chair in the room, right above a crude wooden sign that reads:

THE GRIZELYS TRUNK UUOOP BIGGER THAN YOU.

Two bouncers are also employed at The Grizzly Woman's coach house, the ogres Aagrok and Kreek. They keep the place in good condition and keep the peace in exchange for a steady cut of the profits and a side order of sheep. Their presence has given rise to the coach house's local nickname, "The Ogre's Two Heads."

Wares for sale:
1 cp - a cup of tea (fennel, fern, pinesap, honey and/or floral)
5 cp - a pint of Mary's local ale
5 sp - Dwarven stout or lager brought in from Idmi d'dum
5 sp - cup of mead brought in from Trombley's Farm

3 sp - A good meals with plenty of meat, fruit, and vegetables (per day)
2 sp - A common meals (per day)
1 sp - A poor meals of some bread and cheese (per day)

Lodging:
5 cp - per night for common room sleeping (shared)
1 sp - per night for basic room accommodations (10 rooms available)
1 sp - per night for stabling

Telling Tales:
TBD.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Ogre's Two Heads (Coach House & Tavern)

#2 Post by Starbeard »

10 September 2021
Halfpint's Expedition stay at the Coach House, conversing with Amistad, Aagrok and other patrons.
Player Characters
Lady Halfpint (leader)
Lord Earc the wizard.
Piers Garrett, Cleric of Baudh.
Lug, Probably part-giant. Ranger of Beith.
Anforthas, Khalorrim warrior.

NPCs (and whose Charisma they are tied to)
Berylla, halfling (Earc/Halfpint)
Isengar, halfling (Earc/Halfpint)
Fastred, halfling (Earc/Halfpint)
Guaire, human mercenary (Piers)
Sylvi, human mercenary (Piers)

Animals
Bushel, the pony (Halfpint)
Gwegwin, the riding horse (Earc)
Fynbar, the Tundra Cat (Earc)
Norp, the mule (Piers)
Nyorolim, Warhorse (Lug)
Updates and roleplay within the expedition thread as linked above.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth 11th Oct 2021

Arrives in Pinewood Vale. He like the frontier rustic appeal of the place though misses the grandeur and prominence of the baroque Baudh edifices.

He enquires of 'Grizzly Woman' as the innkeeper. "I would like a simple but private room please. Are there no places of worship here?"

Sitting around the warm hearth he will chat with locals about the settlement growth and the mysterious buildings further out that remain unexplored. (Sinking tower, Crystal dome, Bogling ruin).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

Grizzly Woman

"Simple and private eh? Well I have a dug out cave yonder where Huckleberry hibernates or the top of the hayloft with Mr Whiskers". She chuckles seeing the fresh young warrior's face grimace and eyes widen.

The mountain lady spits out a cud of chewing tobacco to clink with a ring in the spiton tub some yards away before passing a key to an upstairs room to Golgarth. "No whoring, no drugs, no arcane chicanery and don't cheat at the card or bone dice table," she adds with a nod to a severed hand nailed to one of the wooden table legs in the common room.

"As for prayer the town chapel serves one and all and the big oak serves as a grotto feature for the Beithians. Town founder Amistad likes to dance around his totem every night. You being the handsome chivalrous type, if you have a 'bone tusk' that needs dancing with and are into some 'laying on of hands', ..."

Cue some laughter and ogrish howls from the common room. The banter is in good faith and you are made welcome. Of the locals who chit and chat, three more adventurous types (those on the npc for hire roster) make themselves known.

"What do you want to know?" they ask.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

"Thank you Miss, Ms Griz ... Griselda?" he says, deducting some silvers for the short stay and common meals.

"Eel pie, jugged squirrel in hazelnut sauce, nettle and bean sprout soup ..." He checks the menu. It is just as rustic as the locals, coon tailed hats, rat whiskered faces and hands full of splinters like they grasp cacti.

"I am interested in the local ruins. I understand many relics have been discovered recently. Maybe opportunity exists for more adventure. I have heard of a bogling stronghold though know little of the frogmen ways. But I have heard they create special 'Wards' and the knowledge of such items would be useful in Baudh efforts to cleanse undead threats."

He looks at the gathered locals, "I have little experience in such matters but a strong faith and a strong sword arm. I have some interest in one or two others joining me shortly Do any of you know these swamp lands from your ranging? I would look to employ a skilled scout to assist me."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Dawg Dann

Reclines in hearth side chair, drinking the frothy Cyclops farm apple cider and listens to the young warrior. He is dressed in hobnailed spiked boots and simple breeches held up by baggy braces.

"Logging season nearly over, last flotilla of trunks got rafted downstream and it be a while afore next caravan of logs be cut and penned. So I is free and I know some of the swamp lands. Bullywugs been trouble at a distance but not threatened the settlers since ole 'cabbage head' troll got done in. Be good to know how things are though. I got a taste for a fight and frogs legs fried in batter. Never ate no bullywug but them leapin legs got plenty of meat on. Guess they taste the same chicken as any Kermit does. Mind you, the bog eyes might find you a spring chicken too! I can scout for you and ferry you about the swamp channels for a fair share of any treasure."

The logging swain offers to join an expedition to explore the bogling ruin.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Shakes hands ( or whatever tradition, spitting on palms first), with the logger. "Thank you. An equal share for everyone. I hope my bulletin board notice provokes a few others also. I had some other interest from young adventurers so hope a team rather than a duo can explore together. Tell me about your ferry?"

The warrior prefers to leave direct from the Pinewood town so hopes interested folk make it to the tavern rendezvous.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Dawg Dann

Rubs his shaggy chin, "Well we have a surplus of craft in these parts. There is the RiverLion (MK iv) of the boss. He lets river ranger Alcide put it through some trials along the Orctongue. We have some smaller birch bark canoes and I have a shallow draft ferry that I can punt around the mangroves or raft along with the log train. Of course Capt Uthred has released the old derelict barge that the questors floated from the sinking tower. It has been done up now, more of a leisure cruiser for Her Ladyships and visiting dignitaries. The 'Crocodawg', my ferry, she can float half a dozen plus Whiskers.

The logger drinks up, pulls a couple of splinters out his hands and takes his leave. "We will be in the wharf sidings, ready when you want to go Golgarth."

Paul
Strider
Strider

#9 Post by Paul »

Sten Danilmaga

A tall, dark haired man walks into the tavern, his eyes dart this way and that nervously. He walks with a perceptible limp as he makes his way slowly to the bar.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Tollander Kane

A man in monks robes, with a scarred face and tattooed knuckles walks into the inn. He clutches a stout staff in his right hand. Looking around the taproom, he sees Golgarth, obviously not a local, in conversation with Dawg Dan. Walking over, he introduces himself. "Are you Golgarth? I'm Tollander Kane of the Order of Black and White, servant of Gwanwen."

"I saw your notice about exploring ruins here in the forest. Rumor is you're looking to root out the undead. Gwanwen would bless us all in such work. Do you need another set of hands?"
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Stands and acknowledges the presence of the priest with a formal handshake, brushing off the crumbs of eel pie from his embroidered tabard.

"Sir. Yes I am Golgarth. In prentice to the Order of Baudh though I have taken no vows of formal dedication yet." (which means ... ' I am a wannabe knight with limited experience...')

"I am glad the rogue ogres could point enquirers further along the frontier road. Yes I wish to explore some ruins. They are across the river in the bordering swamps. Intriguing because the denizens somehow fabricate items of divine power, protecting wards. Not as great as the recovered Blessed Sun of Baudh which wards Gaul. But these seem to be personalised ware. A great boon to us Rev Tollander if we can uncover their source and banish the wandering undead to rest."

He flushes at his little speech then flushes more realising he touts the grandeur of Baudh to a Gwanwen priest and in the ogre tavern, infers the 'road rangers' are bandits.

Flustered, he breaks the ice and orders a round of drinks, inviting the other newcomer Sten to the table.

"Please join us."

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by rossik »

Griswold

Nervous, a thin pale man blond o hair and grey of beard approaches. He wears some rags, but a good observer can see a chainmail under his clothes. He have a crude spear and a axe attached to his belt.

"e-excuse me. My name is Griswold, and im interested in the ruins too. Maybe i can join the group as well?"

Paul
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by Paul »

Sten Danilmaga

Sten walks slowly over to the table, he nods and folds his hands together under his travelling cloak.
"Greetings, I am Brother Danilmaga, a devout follower of our Lord Baudh." He bows to those at the table.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

"Welcome bro' Danilmaga and to you Griswald. Your shields and swords most welcome. Please be seated."

The warrior relaxes a little with the headcount going up. He pulls out a hand copied map of the region and various notes gathered from stories of bullywug encounters. "The ruins they occupy are over here, set back from the river edge. Not much is known. The hunters seem to have a prodigious leap into battle and carry long spears. They may roam as far as the tower due NW of here but are yet to threaten this new settlement. My few studies of 'frog life' only lead me to think of an alpha male society with the strongest competing over breeding females and their spawn, when hatched, is left to fend for themselves."

The discussion over a beer can go on but with little more to add than querying unknowns, Golgarth is happy to conclude and meet at the wharf in the morning.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by rossik »

"Oh, they seems dangerous. They leap? Maybe we can fight back with fishing nets, no?" add Griswold.

With that said, he have nothing more to add, but to wait for the journey to begin,

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galmit walks over to Golgarth extends his hand "Well met Golgarth. Heard yah got an adventure an I was hopin ta join in. Trollander an Neegan can vouche fer me if yah need it. Names Galmit Treasurebrewer, at yer service if you'd have me along in yer group."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Welcomes the dwarf warrior. "Looks like we are going to be a 'meat fest'," he says then adds, "Well I mean 'mighty warriors together', all men like ... not a meat feast for the err .... Too much ale makes his mind cloud.

"Yes welcome Galmit. We trust your presence will help brew up some treasure."

Drinks are bought though sadly none of the dwarven treasure brewer hop variety as it distills over month. With enough numbers and the boat leaving early, Golgarth retires to his room to study once more his drawn map of the area.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galmit shakes Golgarth's hand and chuckles at the play on words with his clan name. "Heh. I dun usually brew up treasure but I been told me brews taste like treasures. I'm a brewer of ales and meads, as a skilled hobby. Ere try this brewed it meself inspired by me last adventure." he hands Golgarth flask with his latest brew in it. "Thinkin of callin it orb ale but aint set on it yet."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Stirling »

The Golgarth expedition concludes their tavern debrief. Please make a character post in the expedition thread. Thank you.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Town of Pinewood Vale”