OOC Player Logistics Etc

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Player Logistics Etc

#41 Post by Antman9 »

Just moving slow I think. A bit of a rocky start. Everyone is still getting their feet under them, so to speak. And ffilz has had a low posting rate lately.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Antman9 »

ffliz posted the following in his other two campaigns on April 17th:
Sorry, things have gone topsy turvy for me. I haven't been able to get the time I usually get to work on gaming and the new game I'm starting has turned out to have a much bigger startup effort than I expected.

Frank
So looks like RL might be working him over maybe?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by ffilz »

Yea, sorry, things this week blew up... We had a washing machine incident so I've been spending a lot of time dealing with the water damage mitigation folks.

Let me see if a quick post will allow things to move along towards the party getting together and having a solid lead to plan an expedition.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I think that should get us moving again. Sorry that I didn't put that out sooner...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Modric
Guide
Guide

#45 Post by Modric »

Been stuck in RL. Should be able to catch up!

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by Antman9 »

Hi All, I'm headed out of town for the weekend and may not have internet. If I do, Ill make a post or two, otherwise I'll be back Tuesday. Everyone have a good weekend! :D

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by ffilz »

I'm re-evaluating the time I can put into play by post games. If I cut out other games, I think this one has a chance. If you are still interested, please respond here or in the adventure thread.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by sulldawga »

Frank, I love your games but I'm going to drop out of this one. Just not in a Yoon-Suin frame of mind anymore.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by redwarrior »

I think I'm going to bow out of this one as well Yoon Suin isn't vibeing for me.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by rossik »

Sorry to be +1, but i feel the same. I just thought it was a "strange land with oriental feel", more to the gonzo side.
But i wish a great game to those remaining, and maybe you can ask for more recruits to join. Cheers!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by ffilz »

rossik wrote:Sorry to be +1, but i feel the same. I just thought it was a "strange land with oriental feel", more to the gonzo side.
But i wish a great game to those remaining, and maybe you can ask for more recruits to join. Cheers!
I'd love more feedback on the actual play we accomplished. I'm real sorry I spent so much prep time after we started that we lost momentum and then even when we got things rolling I didn't keep up.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by rossik »

ffilz wrote:
rossik wrote:Sorry to be +1, but i feel the same. I just thought it was a "strange land with oriental feel", more to the gonzo side.
I'd love more feedback on the actual play we accomplished. I'm real sorry I spent so much prep time after we started that we lost momentum and then even when we got things rolling I didn't keep up.

to be honest, the names were part of what turned me of. It seems silly, but all those indian names and the setting feels like a indian game, not a Indian inspired game for me. i expected , as i had said, more weird and gonzo, maybe a mix of cultures like east and west. dont think you have wasted your time. try to get more/new players, so now you already have all the material at hand :D

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by sulldawga »

The names didn't really bother me, I mean, that all came from the source setting.

I think the pace was what killed it for me. PbP is a different animal that F2F games. You need to get into the action right away and you need to force players to respond as a group. I felt like the players were scattered all over, responding to different plot hooks, with some not responding at the same speed as others.

If you do start it up again, I'd recommend picking out the first plot hook for us and putting us all on the road toward it right at the beginning. None of this "you all meet in a tavern" stuff. Start with "you all already met in a tavern, you agreed to do something about the bandits to the west, now you find yourself on a dark road with shadowy figures blocking your way. What is your response?"

It just kicks the game in the ass from the get-go and you sort out personalities later.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by ffilz »

sulldawga wrote:The names didn't really bother me, I mean, that all came from the source setting.

I think the pace was what killed it for me. PbP is a different animal that F2F games. You need to get into the action right away and you need to force players to respond as a group. I felt like the players were scattered all over, responding to different plot hooks, with some not responding at the same speed as others.

If you do start it up again, I'd recommend picking out the first plot hook for us and putting us all on the road toward it right at the beginning. None of this "you all meet in a tavern" stuff. Start with "you all already met in a tavern, you agreed to do something about the bandits to the west, now you find yourself on a dark road with shadowy figures blocking your way. What is your response?"

It just kicks the game in the ass from the get-go and you sort out personalities later.
Yea, that is certainly a problem. Part of the challenge for me is a desire to run a sandbox, so tossing a specific first thing pulls against that, but I agree having an immediate thing to act on would help a lot. A halfway step is to tell the players: "Ok, this is a sandbox, but it at least will start off with a single PC party, make your characters and then tell me how you're connected to all the other PCs so we start off running with a single group."

As to the South Asian names and such, I see how that could be off putting. With Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names, it's so easy for me to pull names from different cultures. And we wound up with a real map of part of Nepal because all my attempts to come up with a map that inspired me failed until I landed on the trekking map that I could easily drop 6 mile hexes on... And then I went to https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/28.2605/83.6516 to get a map of the city... I think what caught me up was sort of a too specific real world inspiration for the game setting that launched me off down a wild path of digging into that part of the real world...

So it may be back to non-specific as published D&D for me in the future...

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by sulldawga »

I personally liked the real world Nepal map.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

sulldawga wrote:I personally liked the real world Nepal map.
Yea, once I found that map, that part was nice. It had plenty of detail, I just struggled to get things going. The plot hooks Yoon Suin generates need a lot of work to turn into something, and maybe don't really fit D&D play.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by ffilz »

Ok, without any response from anyone who really wants to try and make a go of this, I'm going to let this one go also.

I love the idea of Yoon Suin, and maybe in different circumstances I could make a good go of it, but this never clicked quite well enough with me to motivate me to make time to post updates given all the crazy my life is. Meanwhile, other games have given me that motivation and they are at least moving.

Thanks everyone for your willingness to give it a go.

Frank

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by rossik »

Thanks for the game, guys!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

rossik wrote:Thanks for the game, guys!
You're welcome.

Return to “Frank's Yoon Suin (OD&D|BX)”