Creating subtopics

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Creating subtopics

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

I've noticed that once you create a topic within a given subforum you're given the option of creating a topic while viewing that original topic. Does this allow you to creat sub-topics within the original topic, or does it just create a new topic within the subforum. In other words, let's say I've got this setup (as it currently exists in my game sub-forum:

*A Brave New World (subforum)
**x's henchmen (thread within subforum)

Could I press the "New Topic" button within the henchmen thread to create something like this:

*A Brave New World
**x's henchmen
***y's henchmen

or would it create this:

*A Brave New World
**x's henchmen
**y's henchmen

It would be great it it would be the first option, because that would allow me to set it up similar to a wiki page with sub-topics within a topic.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Creating subtopics

#2 Post by rredmond »

I just tested it and you can create a new thread in the sub-topic, but I don't think you can go deeper than that.

I believe it would only create the second example you have (I tested in one of my character forums) like this:

*A Brave New World
**x's henchmen
**y's henchmen

But you can also play around and test it. As long as there is only one post in a topic/thread, you should be able to delete that post, thus deleting the thread. Sorry I don't think you'll get your unlimited TOPIC creation. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

I wish it were that easy! :) Creating those sub-Forums are a PITA. That's why I'm so glad Dave is so quickety-quick with them. ;)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by thirdkingdom »

That's a bummer. I just tested it and it doesn't allow nesting topics. We're likely to start moving into henchmen getting henchmen, at some point in the future, and it would be great to nest them all like that.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Dave and Inferno (and maybe some other DMs) like to hyperlink stuff like this.
So you'd have a thread that is for "Henchman" and then each henchman gets a post in the thread, except for the first one which hyperlinks to each of the henchman's posts to make things easier.

See Dave's "Player Character" thread here for what I mean: viewtopic.php?f=548&t=7181

It may be something you've already considered, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
--Ron--

ETA: Actually Dave's post is a semi-bad example as it links to character sheets off-site (dang I'm a dope) but check out Inferno's PC Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=265&t=4634

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote:We're likely to start moving into henchmen getting henchmen, at some point in the future, and it would be great to nest them all like that.
I agree that nesting topics would be cool.

It's not ideal, but one thing I've done before is to create extra topics (e.g. y's henchmen) to house future details beneath the current topic (e.g. x's henchmen). It takes a bit of forward planning or anticipation, and is far from perfect, but it does allow you to at least keep the related topics next to each other.
I do this a lot with my house rules, like here.
Reserved.png
Reserved.png (48.17 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
After logical breaking points, I would create a 'Reserved' post, which is nothing more than a topic with a period in it, or the word "Reserved," then create another topic to begin the next category of posts.
Or, in the main/top post, you can create links to the various topics so, even if they're separated, they can be organized next to each other and, with the links, are easily accessible.
Using the same illustration from above, say I left one 'Reserved' topic only to discover down the road I needed two, or more. Those extra topics could be created later (potentially appearing way out of order if just scrolling through all the topics in the forum), but add a link to this orphaned topic in the appropriate place within the set of main links I have in the first post.

I have no idea if that made sense (it did to me as I was thinking through it), but just figured I'd throw them out there as potential ideas in light of the functionality shortcoming.
[/ooc]
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:ETA: Actually Dave's post is a semi-bad example
Most things from me are! :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

rredmond wrote:Dave and Inferno (and maybe some other DMs) like to hyperlink stuff like this.
So you'd have a thread that is for "Henchman" and then each henchman gets a post in the thread, except for the first one which hyperlinks to each of the henchman's posts to make things easier.

See Dave's "Player Character" thread here for what I mean: viewtopic.php?f=548&t=7181

It may be something you've already considered, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
--Ron--

ETA: Actually Dave's post is a semi-bad example as it links to character sheets off-site (dang I'm a dope) but check out Inferno's PC Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=265&t=4634
Yeah, I could certainly do something like that, and may end up having to. What I'm trying to emulate is like this, though, with the nest henchmen:https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/The_Wild ... d_Henchmen

You can see, for instance, that Sir Harn has two henchmen, one of whom has two henchmen of his own, one of whom has two henchmen on *his* own. We're not there *yet*, but I hope to achieve that level of complexity at some point. I've learned that both the wiki format and the Unseen Servant format have advantages and disadvantages.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote:You can see, for instance, that Sir Harn has two henchmen, one of whom has two henchmen of his own, one of whom has two henchmen on *his* own. We're not there *yet*, but I hope to achieve that level of complexity at some point. I've learned that both the wiki format and the Unseen Servant format have advantages and disadvantages.
Here is the example you provided:
Sir Harn.png
Sir Harn.png (98.63 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Here is exactly how I would handle it: Player Characters and Henchmen
Lists.png
Lists.png (34.6 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Lists!

They can be nested, and be built with or without the bullets. Now, in the example I built, which only took me about 5 minutes, I went out of my way to create the sub-topics out of order. In other words, if you start at the main topic and scroll down, instead of seeing the names in order, they're all mixed up (actual order shown in parenthesis):
  • Sir Harn, the Red Knight of Tisbury (1)
    Brother Hanston (5)
    Jeffed Ka (7)
    Gur (2)
    Crowza Crow-friend (6)
    Masere Din (4)
    Jeder (3)
However, in the main topic, everything appears perfectly organized.

What's doubly nice about this is, the only organization you need to manage is the main topic. As new characters or henchmen are added later, and appear at the end of the list of sub-topics, they can still be placed within the proper location in the main list, where it counts.

Actual code used, to show the placement of the 'list' tags:

Code: Select all

[list]
Sir Harn, the Red Knight of Tisbury (1)
[list]
Brother Hanston (5)
Jeffed Ka (7)
[list]
Gur (2)
[list]
Crowza Crow-friend (6)
Masere Din (4)
[/list]
Jeder (3)
[/list]
[/list]
[/list]
[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:You can see, for instance, that Sir Harn has two henchmen, one of whom has two henchmen of his own, one of whom has two henchmen on *his* own. We're not there *yet*, but I hope to achieve that level of complexity at some point. I've learned that both the wiki format and the Unseen Servant format have advantages and disadvantages.
Here is the example you provided:
Sir Harn.png
Here is exactly how I would handle it: Player Characters and Henchmen
Lists.png
Lists!

They can be nested, and be built with or without the bullets. Now, in the example I built, which only took me about 5 minutes, I went out of my way to create the sub-topics out of order. In other words, if you start at the main topic and scroll down, instead of seeing the names in order, they're all mixed up (actual order shown in parenthesis):
  • Sir Harn, the Red Knight of Tisbury (1)
    Brother Hanston (5)
    Jeffed Ka (7)
    Gur (2)
    Crowza Crow-friend (6)
    Masere Din (4)
    Jeder (3)
However, in the main topic, everything appears perfectly organized.

What's doubly nice about this is, the only organization you need to manage is the main topic. As new characters or henchmen are added later, and appear at the end of the list of sub-topics, they can still be placed within the proper location in the main list, where it counts.

Actual code used, to show the placement of the 'list' tags:

Code: Select all

[list]
Sir Harn, the Red Knight of Tisbury (1)
[list]
Brother Hanston (5)
Jeffed Ka (7)
[list]
Gur (2)
[list]
Crowza Crow-friend (6)
Masere Din (4)
[/list]
Jeder (3)
[/list]
[/list]
[/list]
[/ooc]
Hmm. I like it! I think I can make that work.

Return to “Help and Support”