YP: Feedback

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

YP: Feedback

#1 Post by dmw71 »

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I'm going to start adding a 'Feedback' topic in every game I run. It's just a space to share thoughts about how the game in general.

Thoughts. Suggestions.

Just having this in place will be really helpful for me to keep a pulse on the game and how it's progressing. Are you enjoying it? Are you growing bored? Is there something you'd like to change? Is it moving too fast? Too slow? Are you interested in the current story you're working through, or should I push the group forward? Just whatever.

I'm also interested in any criticisms you may have. Yes, seriously. I have been making efforts to improve how I run games, and feel like I'm improving, but I realize there is always room for improvement.

No one is under any obligation to share here (or in your private forums if you'd rather not do so publicly), but I definitely encourage and welcome your feedback.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: YP: Feedback

#2 Post by Scott308 »

One thing I wanted to mention (and this is my fault, too, for not mentioning it during the game) is that I think I only got to roll for Wild Magic surge once. This takes the very essence of the sorcerer and removes it. It also doesn't allow him to reset his Tides of Chaos feature. I did some digging in the AL DM's Facebook group, and saw how they typically handle it. Since it is DM's discretion as to when to have the sorcerer roll, DMs can range from never asking for a roll to having the player roll everytime a leveled spell is cast. Since DMs may have different players each game, it is really hard for them to remember to ask. So, many of them tell players that if you cast a spell to automatically roll for Wild Surge, and let them know if a 1 is rolled so they can roll on the effects table. I should have reminded you periodically.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:One thing I wanted to mention (and this is my fault, too, for not mentioning it during the game) is that I think I only got to roll for Wild Magic surge once. This takes the very essence of the sorcerer and removes it. It also doesn't allow him to reset his Tides of Chaos feature.
This is a good reminder, and I apologize for not calling on it more often. Once (or maybe twice?) out of at least six spells isn't enough.

I can't honestly say for certain that it will definitely help, but I plan to rework the character details in the footer section between games. I attempted a more simplified approach in my new game, which I find that I prefer. Essentially, it calls out a list of all actions/bonus actions/reactions available to the character in one section; then a general, ever-growing list of features beneath it. For example (from here):
Footer.jpg
Footer.jpg (168.69 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Anyway, my tentative plan for Wild Magic Surge is to list it like I do 'Sneak Attack' in the above example (except, instead (or maybe in addition to) of being listed under the available 'Actions,' it will be listed beneath your spells. Right now, it's just buried in your list of features... moving it to (also) be directly beneath your spell slots will be a big reminder.

That, or I explore/consider adding a simple mechanic...[/ooc]
Scott308 wrote:I did some digging in the AL DM's Facebook group, and saw how they typically handle it. Since it is DM's discretion as to when to have the sorcerer roll, DMs can range from never asking for a roll to having the player roll everytime a leveled spell is cast. Since DMs may have different players each game, it is really hard for them to remember to ask. So, many of them tell players that if you cast a spell to automatically roll for Wild Surge, and let them know if a 1 is rolled so they can roll on the effects table. I should have reminded you periodically.
Is the proposal/suggestion here to always have the player make a roll when their sorcerer casts a spell, and just inform the DM when they roll a 1?

Actually, you know what, I just quickly skimmed what that feature even is (I mean, I had a general idea, but not firm understanding (probably because it was called upon so infrequently)), and it seems pretty cool... with a 5% chance of some extra fun.

I'm fine to simply have you roll for it every time you cast a level-spell, if you think that would work.

Question about Tides of Chaos. This is a use once per long rest feature. Correct?

But...
"Any time before you regain the use of this feature, the DM can have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. You then regain the use of this feature."

Just to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly, if you've already used your Tides of Chaos but haven't rested, I can have you roll for an immediate effect (e.g. the same table used when a 1 is rolled after casting a spell) and it just automatically happens? In exchange, you regain use of the Tides of Chaos. Right?

Either way, I will make a more concerted effort to involve this more going forward.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

I believe that the way many DMs handle it is to tell the player to roll when they cast a spell, and if they roll a 1 inform the DM, as something is happening. Anything other than a 1 doesn't need to be announced as nothing occurs.

My original read of Tides of Chaos was that if you had me roll to see if there was a Wild Magic Surge, Tides would reset. On further reading, however, it sounds like you can force me to skip the possibility roll and just go straight to rolling for effect, which then resets Tides of Chaos.

I've never actually been at a table where a Wild Magic Surge occurred. If I've DMed for a Wild Magic Sorcerer, I apologize for not calling for checks. I found this online:
something crazy happens because you're playing with forces you don't completely understand!

If Wild surge is saying: "Hmmm lemme seeee... I think this'll work."

Tide of Chaos is saying: "Hahah! I totally got the hang of thi--OMG WTF NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Tides of chaos is more of an addendum to the Wild Surge. The rules state that if you've already used the Tides of Chaos feature to gain advantage on a roll, skip the d20 Wild Magic Surge roll when appropriate, and go right to the d100 Wild Magic Surge table.

If there's a moment when the DM would normally make you roll for a Wild Surge instead: YOU HAVE A WILD SURGE!

To clarify even further: using the Tides of Chaos ability gives the DM permission to blatantly toy with your fate, potentially during the most inopportune time.

Now a little unsolicited for advice for running the Wild Mage in your campaign:

The Wild Mage is a fun class, but as a DM I don't like that the rules imply it's up to me to tell the mage when to roll for a Wild Surge. We played that way during the first 2 sessions, but it was annoying for me, and not very flavorful or fun since it never went off. 1 in 20 just isn't enough if it only goes off occasionally, and even then it hardly ever does. (Agreed?)

We have the wild mage roll every time she casts a newly acquired spell during the level in which she acquired it. She also rolls whenever she casts a lower level spell in her highest spell slot. In addition, The DM can opt to trigger the roll on any spell when he feels the moment may be right.

We came up with the terms "practiced" and "unpracticed" for this.

Using this method adds more flavor to the game by making the player assume the risk of toying with magical forces he/she doesn't completely understand.

As the player levels up he/she feels more confident with the achievement of casting "practiced" spells.

Takes some of the burden of fun off the DM's shoulders while still giving him enough control to enhance the game in key moments.

If you're using the Tides of Chaos rules in the manner I explained above, this really changes how people use their "unpracticed" spells. If they've manipulated the Tides of Chaos to gain advantage in combat, it leaves their connection in a state of unpredictable turbulence! They've essentially guaranteed the wild surge the next time they cast an unpracticed spell before a rest.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I believe that the way many DMs handle it is to tell the player to roll when they cast a spell, and if they roll a 1 inform the DM, as something is happening. Anything other than a 1 doesn't need to be announced as nothing occurs.
I'm going to need to read and process the quoted bit you shared (thanks for it, by the way), but, at least for now, let's just plan on this for Wild Magic Surge.

If/when you cast a level spell, just automatically accompany that casting with a roll. If it wasn't a 1, or you forget, no big deal. If/when you roll a 1... things could get interesting quick.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”