Food Detail - Brana, Ornthalas

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Food Detail - Brana, Ornthalas

#21 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

As the elf is busy preparing food, he notices some sort of commotion involving Brana. It takes him a moment to realize it appears she is going to engage their guards in combat. Instead of being able to work on freeing everyone from their shackles back in their cell tonight, it appears that their timetable has reset to immediately! Cursing under his breath, he quickly works on his menaces using the hook he pilfered the day before.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by drpete »

Round 1

The words of the quaggoth hang in the air for a moment, then Brana lunges forward with the dagger, stabbing at it with the dagger, and drawing a thin line of blood (3 damage).

Seeing that Brana is going for it, Ornthalas tries quickly to pick the lock on his manacles with his hook, but the hook is too awkward, and doesn't work!

The quaggoth Brana stabbed reaches out and grabs her arm, roaring. Brana is grappled! (-2 to hit/ac penalty, half move, chance of spell miscast)

Seeing their chance, Topsy and Stool make a break for it! Topsy runs straight out of the kitchen, while little Stool waddles just as far as the entrance.

Eldeth runs over and tries to body check the quaggoth holding Brana, but the quaggoth knocks her aside!

Seeing that things are quickly growing out of control, the second Quaggoth chooses quickly and takes off after Topsy, leaving the kitchen!

Actions?

Brana, you get an opportunity attack because of the quaggoth's attempt to grab you (at your regular, disadvantaged state, pre grab). Go ahead and roll that.

On your turn, you may attack (with penalties described above), or do something related to the fact that you are grappled, or other things. You can "attack" (using athletics) to break free, for example, rolling d8 to determine how many "control points" you shrug off...

Rolls/Notes
Prisoner Initiative: 15
Quaggoth Initiative: 9

Fast Initiative:
Brana & Ornthalas
Quaggoth 1

Regular Initiative:
Eldeth (move & shove quaggoth), Topsy (move & dash), Stool (move & dash)
Quaggoth 2 (move & dash)

Brana [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19 Disadvantage 2nd roll...
Quaggoth grapple: [1d20+5] = 15+5 = 20 [1d20+5] = 12+5 = 17 dam [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7 7 control points
Eldeth [1d20] = 20 vs quaggoth [1d20+5] = 18+5 = 23
Last edited by drpete on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rex »

Brana

Opportunity attack:
Dagger [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17 to hit [1d4+2] = 2+2 = 4 damage
Disadvantage Dagger [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11

On my normal action I will use Command "Halt!"

Scott308

#24 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Giving up on the idea of picking the lock for now, the elf dives at the quaggoth's knees, hoping to knock him down and make him release Brana.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by drpete »

Sounds good. That would be an opposed Athletics check. If you'd like to roll, go ahead...

Scott308

#26 Post by Scott308 »

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by drpete »

Round 2

Locked in the Quaggoth's grasp, Brana commands him to "HALT" but though its eyes cloud up momentarily, it does not freeze. Ornthalas charges the quaggoth and tries to knock it over, but the small elf is unable to budge the muscular ape man.

Eldeth, however, jumps back in and yanks Brana out of the Quaggoth's grip, freeing her!

The Quaggoth, facing off against three prisoners, now, looks between them for a moment, before reaching for the elf! Ornthalas, though, is too fast for it, and evades the Quaggoth's grasp!

The three of you face off against the Quaggoth, who growls and seems to be growing upset... what do you do?

Rolls/Notes
Quaggoth Save: [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 - Makes Save!
Quaggoth : [1d20+5] = 19+5 = 24 - Not Knocked Prone!
Eldeth Grapple: [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19[1d8+1] = 7+1 = 8 - Grip reduced to zero!
target [1d3] = 2 1=Brana, 2=Ornthalas, 3=Eldeth
Quaggoth grapple: [1d20+5] = 9+5 = 14[1d20+5] = 6+5 = 11 dam [1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5 - vs 15 DC for Ornthalas (10+acrobatics to dodge)

Scott308

#28 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Scanning around the kitchen, the elf looks for something he can use as a weapon- boiling liquid, fire, kitchen knife...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Brana

Brana casts Inflict Wounds and touches the Quaggoth.

If she has a bonus action she draws her hidden iron bar to use as a weapon afterwords.

Inflict Wounds [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25 to hit [3d10] = 16 necrotic damage

Inflict Wounds Critical Hit [3d10] = 14 bonus necrotic damage
Total of 30 Necrotic Damage.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by drpete »

Wow! That's gonna hurt!

Ornthalas sees that the cooking area consists of a heavy iron brazier filled with hot coal, a pot of boiling water on it, some fire stoking implements and big ladles. They don't give you knives to cut the mushrooms, though.

Scott308

#31 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Ornthalas grabs the pot of boiling water and throws it at the quaggoth.
Attack with boiling H2O: [1d20] = 11
Attack with boiling H2O: [1d20] = 3
I would think he should add DEX bonus (+3) but NOT Proficiency as it is an improvised weapon. Nevermind. I forgot to roll with disadvantage.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by drpete »

Round 3

Brana casts a spell on the Quaggoth. The spell sickens it, as small wounds open up all over its body. Ornthalas tries to pour the boiling soup water over it, but the pot is too heavy, and the soup spills all over the floor. Eldeth grabs a chair and swings it at the wounded quaggoth (3 damage) but this seems to enrage it more than hurt it.

The quaggoth roars, enraged and he slashes once, twice... his claws take out Ornthalas and Brana, in one hit, each!
(you are unconscious, not dead)

Round 4
Eldeth fights valiantly to try to defeat the quaggoth. She beats it again with the chair (5 damage!) while fending off the enraged quaggoth!

Round 5
Some amazing force comes over Eldeth, as she tries to defend you! She smashes the chair over the quaggoth again and again, finally downing it (3 damage, 4 damage!)

The quaggoth, and two of you, are down!

not sure if the prison break attempt is working or failing elsewhere. Do you guys want to jump in and take over some npcs to help work that out?

Rolls/Notes
Eldeth [1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9[1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6 dam: [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2
Eldeth [1d20+5] = 13+5 = 18[1d20+5] = 11+5 = 16 dam: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 - bonus messed up, but hit
Wis [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 - Morale, passed

Quaggoth: [1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12 [1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9 dam [3d6+3] = 13+3 = 16 (fury)
Quaggoth: [1d20+5] = 17+5 = 22 [1d20+5] = 14+5 = 19 dam [3d6+3] = 15+3 = 18 (fury)

Eldeth [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9[1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6 dam: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4
Eldeth [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18[1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15 dam: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5
Quaggoth: [1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9 [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6 dam [3d6+3] = 18+3 = 21 (fury)

Eldeth [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16[1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13 dam: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3
Eldeth [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22[1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19 dam: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by drpete »

My proposal, jump over to the cleaning thread with Raknar. One of you can take Ront (orc stats), and one can take Sarith (drow stats). They are right outside this room.

You can come retrieve your bodies, and try to escape with them.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

OK, I will take the Orc and grab Brana.

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”