Chapter 29 - Bissel

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 29 - Bissel

#41 Post by greyarea »

Shea tells Castinus a tale. She recalls taking ownership of Blackrazor and the change that it fostered in her. She knew she was changing for the worse, but couldn't stop it. In fact, reveled in it. It was like being sixteen, all over again, she mused. The last thing she recalled was the room in the Tomb of Horrors, where Grimes set aflame the tapestry and the party froze. The rest was ...like a dream. The sword took me to the Cavern, I know not how, and placed me there. I was dead, but not dead, yet not undead. I could see my body preserved, but couldn't reinhabit it. I was all consumed with anger, hate, and fear. A personal hell.

She then tells you of the waking of her body, and the fight, all of which lead to the smashing of Blackrazor. It was only then that she know of the daemon's true influence, when the sword broke. She was again in a dreamlike state, until now.

...but now we can retire to your fortress. I've grown weary of adventuring. I just want to be a quiet home maker, and allow us to rebuild our love, she tells Castinus.

Blackrazor sees the rest of the parts thrown on the ground by Dieter. The formless smoke seems to coalesce and the parts rise, pulled into the "smoke" of the daemon. To answer your query, I came not on the ship I sent you to. I am my own ship, an amalgam of living and technological. I return to the stars where is my destiny, out beyond the rim and to places beyond.

I leave you with one gift. Enjoy.

The cavern rumbles and the being you once knew as a sword, and now as a smoke daemon, becomes something else entirely. He rises, taking more room than a dragon in the cavern, and then passes through the ceiling and away.

Where the mass of "smoke" once was, on the floor of the cavern, lie eight gems, each the shape of an egg and large enough so that only one may fit in your hand at a time. There is one each red, blue, yellow, orange, green, purple, black, and white. Each is translucent and, on close examination seems to hold stars much like the blade of Blackrazor did.

Actions?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zhym »

Ulster relaxes slightly. Good or bad, Blackrazor probably isn't a threat to this world. He hopes.

He does a quick count of party members and gems. "One for each of us?" he asks, not quite able to do the math. "Or is this a choose-your reward kind of thing?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Grinding to a halt to watch the activities Dieter will turn back to see what has been left behind. Grimes, treasure to be had...

Taking a look at the gems: Yes, I guess one for each of us.

OCC @GM: Can Dieter discern what the eggs are? Their power?
OCC @Steve: Hate to hear you got the flu, miserable.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#44 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim eyes the gems giving it his dwarven knowledge of mining and whatnot he says "I kinda like tha green one."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes smiles at Dieter and finds his spirit returning. "Ah, yes. Some compensation. Poseidon's champion can't live on good deeds alone, eh? Heh... I'm liking that blue one. Pretty. He gingerly palms the blue gem, gazing into it's depths, thinking about how this might look nice in some adornment.

He glances at Castinus and Shea and says "Will you two get a room?" He chortles merrily and says in genuine concern "Good to see you again, I'm getting tired of taking care of Casty here. He needs you more than some smelly short guy." Grimes chuckles and for the first time in as far back as he can remember, he takes a long hard pull on his flask of booze, burping loudly afterward. "Let's go home, people!"

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#46 Post by merias »

"Shae, good ta see ya back in our humble world!" Dandy says. He waits for the others to choose a gem and will take what is left.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Dieter hefts the black one and inspects with interest.

Not sure how we can get home, perhaps someone is Bissel can help.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zhym »

Seeing the others pick up gem eggs, Ulster picks up the green one and inspects it.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus looks with distrust upon Blackrazor's parting gift. "Someone else can take two," he says. "I got everything I need, finally, and I'm not gonna chance losing it all again for some shiny gemstone."

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by badams30 »

tumblingdice wrote:Castinus looks with distrust upon Blackrazor's parting gift. "Someone else can take two," he says. "I got everything I need, finally, and I'm not gonna chance losing it all again for some shiny gemstone."
Grimes sighs at Castinus' comments. "Ugh. I hate to say it Casty, but you might be on to something. After what that sword did to Shae and us, it wouldn't surprise me if this fella left us something a bit more than we bargained for. Perhaps one of those high up types in Bissel for who we've saved the world, what... 9-10 times now, maybe they can take a peek at these gem things to see what they are about. But in the meantime, I need a drink, and to find Acquire and see what's going on."
Grimes is ready to head back to Bissell, intent on finding his siren friend and buying lots of drinks and food for anyone around. And then he'll see if any of the super-influential dudes can assist in examining the egg gems.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Craigers07 »

Furuk - Fighter

"It's good to see you again Shae. I'm glad you're ok."

Furuk leans over and picks up the red gem for himself.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim waves a fighters salute to Shae and a head nod. "Pleased ta meet ya."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Tossing the gem to the side: Ja, not to be trusted...

***************************************************************************************************************
Thank you from the bottom of my heart to
(Greyarea) for the adventure run of a lifetime.
You recounted some of the best and most fundamental D&D modules for us and created a universe that needs it's own definition.
What has it been? Eight to ten years?
Thank you!

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus - human thief

Castinus doesn't remember how the rest of that day played out. Were the games cursed? He can't recall. At his age, the details are fuzzy. After many years running his castle, and surrounding barony, with some of his adventuring comrades by his side as trusted advisors, the old thief went into decline, with Shae by his side to care for him. He trusts the half-elf will find someone new once he passes from this life. And what a life it was!

Joe summed it up perfectly. Thank you, Paul. If you have more plans with the gems, by all means go for it. Also, I'm not trying to dictate any other characters' outcomes, just making the offer to live at Castinus' castle for as long as they wish. :D

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by greyarea »

With that, the party decides not to take the stones from the daemon from beyond. It's caused enough grief, and no good came come to it. As the stones are discarded, they lose their luster and appear to be as coprolite. You can't help but wonder if they ever had any value at all...

The party continues on, either together or separately. They will always have the memory of their adventures to look back upon.

Will they someday reunite and set the world aflame? Who knows? All they are certain of is that for now, at least the adventure is concluded.

Hey guys, this was fun. I briefly considered running another adventure after this but we finished the S-series of modules (yay!) and I wasn't sure where I wanted to go from here. I've also had other things pulling at my time, as you have probably noticed, and I couldn't devote the headspace, much less the posting time, to this as it deserved. Some of you have been with this group since level 1 and that's awesome, and I will have fond memories of these adventures, from the time that Grimes rode the dragon (literally) on your first adventure to Skull Mountain, to the time you rushed the basilisk, much to Shae's chagrin, to when Shae picked up Blackrazor and things really got interesting, to the discovery of the Egg of Agamotto needed to defeat the Preposito, to the room in the Tomb of Horrors that nearly killed the party and did kill Shae, who was in the thrall of Blackrazor, to the next Skull Mountain which lead to the return of Shae, and then finally the quest for daemon Blackrazor itself who sent you to explore the Barrier Peaks and retrieve the parts for the outworldly creature.

All in all, a lot of fun! Thanks folks, even those that didn't make it this far. Fun times!

Return to “Skull Mountain (LL/AEC)”