Episode 0: Dahyrst

DM: Dave
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Episode 0: Dahyrst

#161 Post by Rex »

Strega

Once her senses return to her Strega will head for bed to rest and recover. "I am heading up to bed, I think some rest will help me recover. Pleased to greet you Quaalxor, I always enjoy meeting dragon hunters."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rumble

Before going to bed, Rumble watches an armored dwarf burst in. His fur ripples slightly but when the situation is defused, he relaxes. "Friend of yours?" He asks Oskar.

Rumble slowly stalks around the newcomer, admiring the large axe on his back. "Man after my own heart, you are. Tell me, do you feel the latest design on the axe cuts as well as last season's?" Rumble continues his examination for a bit longer, then gets bored and heads upstairs.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#163 Post by Ahlmzhad »

"Why thank you most gracious Lady.", he says to Stregga giving her a bow as well.

Settling towards the bar and his pint of bitter he addresses Rumble. "I use only my families design (then he spits on the ground to his right, and mutters a curse on some dragon), and they cut fine. Personally I think it's more about edge and the grip on the handle. If we have the time I'll show you how to get a a good long lasting cutting edge on your blade".

If the room empties he'll go ahead and get a bed for the night, if not he'll stay and chat.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by drpete »

Oskar

Oskar tells the dwarf how they had acquired the object for a man, then on investigating it, it exploded. He tells him that they (the group) is on their way to Greenest in the morning unless something else catches their attention. He's welcome to come along, if he's going that way...

Not long after this, he heads up to bed.

A bit of a meta thing, I guess. But can we "hang out chatting" for a bit as part of the "long rest"? If that works, I'd say we could assume Oskar would be happy to mellow out with the newcomer & get to know him a bit before going to bed.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#165 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Quaalxor

"Thanks, for the invite. I think I will join you. If they're giving you gifts like that then another axe might come in handy" I reply to Oskar.

I'll stay up until others are retiring, then I'll off to bed myself.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#166 Post by dmw71 »

Figures, shortly after I made my last OOC comment, our Internet connection went down. Apparently it's an issue my provider is having throughout the Midwest, and other regions to a lesser extent.
Outage.jpg
Outage.jpg (106.71 KiB) Viewed 2833 times

I'll do my best to get this out tonight, but I may need to save it and post it in the morning.

---[/ooc]

New Morning
"A pint of your best bitter," the new dwarf orders, both to quench his thirst, but also to hopefully return a state of normalcy to the inn after the recent explosion. When Briez rushes off to fulfill the drink order, the dwarf leaves a gold coin on the bar top and, relying upon his sense of smell, moves towards where he believes the explosion took place... which leads him directly to where the burnt spot on the floor is located. The newcomer takes a knee, leans over, and inhales deeply, and tasting a sample of the soot left behind. It's difficult to get a truly accurate reading, but he strongly suspects -- based on the smell and taste -- some powder from a highly spicy pepper was at least part of the combustible. Madame Hily interrupts the investigation as she returns from the kitchen with a wooden bucket filled with soapy water and a brush. "Your drink's on the bar," she says. "Complementary," she adds as she begins scrubbing the floor, looking to remove the reminder.

"What brings you to this sleepy village, stranger?" Bren asks as the dwarf settles into a stool at the bar. After taking a deep swig of his strongly flavored beer, the newcomer shares his dislike of dragons -- which might explain the strange stare the dwarf and dragonborn shared moments earlier. "The explosion made me forget me manners, I am Quaalxor." the dwarf shares, extending a rough hand in Bren's direction, leaving the sorcerer thinking, hopefully, this dislike of dragons is limited to just those of the evil variety.

"I'm heading up to bed," Strega interjects. "I think some rest will help me recover." the albino half-orc states, still trying to get the ringing in her ears to stop completely. "Pleased to meet you Quaalxor, I always enjoy meeting dragon hunters," she adds before taking her leave. Rumble, too, postpones his own trip upstairs to slowly stalks around the newcomer, admiring the large axe on his back. "Man after my own heart, you are. Tell me, do you feel the latest design on the axe cuts as well as last season's?" Quaalxor shares that he only uses his family designed blades, and offers to demonstrate how to get a long lasting cutting edge on a blade. The tabaxi continues his examination for a bit longer, then gets bored and heads upstairs.

Eventually, Oskar shares how they had acquired what turned out to be a fake dragon egg for a man, which ultimately is what exploded. "We're on our way to Greenest in the morning," he volunteers. "You're welcome to come along, if you're going that way."

Oskar, and Quaalxor, and Bren, and anyone else linger about for a bit, chatting, before ultimately turning in for the night.

---

The group reconvenes in the dining area shortly after sunrise the following morning, well rested and in good spirits.

Madame Hily informs Oskar that there is a general smith in town, and provides him to Drida's Ironworks. The innkeeper also shares that Rina's Oddities would be the place to seek out general adventuring gear.

Briez, as promised the night before, hurries over a glass jar of freshly made wildberry jam along with a tray of piping hot biscuits. “My sister and I picked the berries ourselves,” she repeats, still proud. The young halfling sweeps her long black hair out of her face then takes any additional food and drink orders.

---

Feel free to continue to role-play. But, also, let's take care of any shopping requests before the group sets out for the day?

Is the plan to still continue on to Greenest?

---

Date: 08 Kythorn 1489
Time: 06:03
  • Sunrise: 05:59
  • Sunset: 21:06
Moon:
  • Half
Temperature
  • Low: 56°
  • High: 73°
Conditions
  • Precipitation: None
  • Wind: Still
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • drpete | Oskar Loderr | Dwarf (Mountain) | Rogue (2) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d8) | HP: 20 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 15
      • Investigation: 14
      • Insight: 13
      Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Thieves' Cant
      Spells: None

Features:
      • Dwarven Resilience
        • You have advantage on saves against poison and resistance against poison damage.
      • Stonecunning:
        • Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check.
      • Tool Proficiency
        • Mason's Tools
      • 1st: Expertise: (Perception, Thieves' Tools)
        • Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.
      • 1st: Sneak Attack (1d6)
        • Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
        • You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
      • 1st: Thieves’ Cant
        • During your rogue training you learned thieves’ cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation.
        • Only another creature that knows thieves’ cant understands such messages.
        • It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.
        • In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves’ guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.
      • 2nd: Cunning Action
        • You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
      • 3rd: --
      Background: Clan Crafter (Dwarf)
      • Feature: Respect of the Stout Folk
        • As well respected as clan crafters are among outsiders, no one esteems them quite so highly as dwarves do. You always have free room and board in any place where shield dwarves or gold dwarves dwell, and the individuals in such a settlement might vie among themselves to determine who can offer you (and possibly your compatriots) the finest accommodations and assistance.
  • ravenn4544 | Brenzavur Fyrebrand | Dragonborn (Brass) | Sorcerer (2) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d6) | HP: 18 | AC: 15 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 9
      • Investigation: 9
      • Insight: 11
      Languages: Common, Draconic
      Spells
      • Spell Attack: +3
      • Save DC: 13
      • Slots: 3
        • 1st: 2
        • 2nd: --
      Spells Known: 3 Cantrips Known: 4 ( Fire Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation )

Features:
      • Damage Resistance (Fire)
      • 1st: Spellcasting
      • 1st: Sorcerous Origin (Draconic Bloodline)
        • Origin Features:
          • 1st:
            • Draconic Ancestry (Brass)
              • Breath Weapon: 1 ( DC: 12 | AoE: 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save) | Damage: 2d6 ( Half on successful save) | Recovery: Short )
            • Draconic Resilience
              • As magic flows through your body, it causes physical traits of your dragon ancestors to emerge. At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
              • Additionally, parts of your skin are covered by a thin sheen of dragon-like scales. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
          • 6th: --
          • 14th: --
          • 18th: --
      • 2nd: Font of Magic
      • Flexible Casting
        • You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points.
          ---
        • Creating Spell Slots
          • You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn.
          • Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest.
        • Converting a Spell Slot to Sorcery Points
          • As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot’s level.
      Background: Acolyte
      • Feature: Shelter of the Faithful
        • You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells.
  • Rex | Strega "the Pale" | Half-Orc | Druid (2) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Female | HD: 2 (1d8) | HP: 19 | AC: 15 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 14
      • Insight: 12
      Languages: Common, Draconic, Druidic, Orc
      Spells
      • Spell Attack: +4
      • Save DC: 12
        • 1st: 3
      Spells Known: 4 (Wisdom modifier + Druid level) Cantrips Known: 2 ( Druidcraft, Produce Flame )

Features:
      • Relentless Endurance
        • When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead.
          Recovery: Long
      • Savage Attacks:
        • When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
      • 1st: Druidic
        • You know Druidic, the secret language of druids.
        • You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages.
        • You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message.
        • Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.
      • 2nd: Wild Shape: 2
        • Recovery: Short
        • Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before.
        • Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into:
          Beast Shapes (Forest )
          • 2nd
            • Max. CR: 1/4
            • Limitations: No flying or swimming speed
            • Example: Wolf
          • 4th
            • Max. CR: 1/2
            • Limitations: No flying speed
            • Example: Crocodile
          • 8th:
          While you are transformed, the following rules apply:
          • Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can’t use them.
          • When you transform, you assume the beast’s hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form. For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn’t reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren’t knocked unconscious.
          • You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.
          • You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
          • You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature’s shape and size. Your equipment doesn’t change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can’t wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.
      • 2nd: Druid Circle (Circle of Dreams)
        • Circle of Dreams Features
          • 2nd: Balm of the Summer Court
            • Fey Energy Pool (d6): 2 (Druid Level)
            • As a bonus action, you can choose one creature you can see within 120 feet of you and spend a number of those dice equal to half your druid level or less.
            • Roll the spent dice and add them together.
            • The target regains a number of hit points equal to the total.
            • The target also gains 1 temporary hit point per die spent.
          • 10th: --
      Background: Hermit
      • Feature: Discovery (Details)
        • The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave you access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who or consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your return to society.
  • Gerrin | Tannaris Vethykos | Elf (High) | Fighter (1), Wizard (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d10), 1 (1d6) | HP: 20 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 12
      • Investigation: 15
      Languages: Common, Elvish, Giant, Orc

Spells
      • Slots: 2
      Spellbook: Prepared Spells: 4 (Intelligence modifier + Wizard level) Cantrips Known: 3+1 ( Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, True Strike ) Features:
      • Fey Ancestry
        • You have advantage on saves against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
      • Trance
        • You don't need to sleep, but meditate semiconsciously for 4 hours a day. While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
      • Fighter 1st: Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting
        • When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack
      • Fighter 1st: Second Wind:
        • On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.
          Recovery: Short
      • Fighter 2nd: --
      • Wizard 1st: Spellcasting
      • Wizard 1st: Arcane Recovery
        • Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover.
        • The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
      • Wizard 2nd: --
      Background: Far Traveler
      • Feature:
        • Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and peopl
  • Monsieur Rose | Rumbling "Rumble" Mountain | Tabaxi | Barbarian (2) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d12) | HP: 24 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      • Insight: 10
      Languages: Common, Giant
      Features:
      • Feline Agility: 1
        • When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
          Recovery: Once you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you move 0 feet on one of your turns.
      • Cat’s Claws
        • You have a climbing speed of 20 ft.
        • You deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier (1d4-1).
      • 1st: Rage: 2
        • On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
        • While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:
          • You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
          • When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
          • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
          • If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.
        • Your rage lasts for 1 minute.
        • It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then.
        • You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
      • 1st: Unarmored Defense
        • While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
        • You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
      • 2nd: Reckless Attack
        • When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly.
        • Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.
      • 2nd: Danger Sense
        • You gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger.
        • You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells.
        • To gain this benefit, you can’t be blinded , deafened, or incapacitated.
      Background: Gladiator
      • Feature: By Popular Demand
        • You can always find a place to perform in any place that features combat for entertainment — perhaps a gladiatorial arena or secret pit fighting club. At such a place, you receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of the establishment), as long as you perform each night. In addition, your performance makes you something of a local figure. When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed, they typically take a liking to you.
  • Ahlmzhad | Quaalxor | Dwarf (Mountain) | Fighter (2) | Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d10) | HP: 20 | AC: 16 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 11
      • Investigation: 10
      Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarvish

Features:
      • Dwarven Resilience
        • You have advantage on saves against poison and resistance against poison damage.
      • Stonecunning:
        • Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check.
      • Tool Proficiency
        • Smith's Tools
      • 1st: Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting
        • When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2.
        • The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
      • 1st: Second Wind: 1
        • On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.
      • 2nd: Action Surge: 1
        • On your turn, you can take one additional action.
      Background: Guild Artisan / Guild Merchant
      • Feature: Guild Membership
        • As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild’s coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild’s good graces.
Rolls
  • None
Last edited by dmw71 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit: Updated footer (Bren's breath weapon, Tannaris' spells)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by ravenn4544 »

Bren takes the offered hand of the newcomer. That counts for something. As the party lingers over breakfast, Bren asks of the newcomer "You are hunting dragons you mentioned last night? What exactly are you hunting if you don't mind sharing?"

OOC: Would the nights rest be a short/long rest? Bren would recover his breath weapon ability if so.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#168 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Quaalxor enters as the young hobbit is putting down her biscuits. "Them's some lovely tarts young lady, but a Dwarf needs a bit more to keep his ribs properly covered. Could you please fry me up a ha dozen eggs, a pound a ham, and a nice block of cheddar cheese on the side?"

Then he shakes Bren's hand "Why ultimately I search for a large black beast, that should have a scar near his right eye that I gave him. Goes by Zlar, but he's a crafty one, and so I am on the lookout for any and all dragon activity. Maybe it will lead me to the fiend so I can sever him from this world, or if not him then it probably still needs to be terminated. And, what pray tell are you and your friends in search of?"

I'd like to purchase a daggar. Do we do that via rp, or just through notes?

"Sorry, I couldn't get much of a read on the explosive last night, but thinking on it, it did have a strong pepper base so at least we have something to go on to compare any future little gifts we might receive."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Rex »

Strega

"That would be an interesting story to hear Quaalxor." Strega says as she eats her breakfast. Turning to Briez, "Briez, would you mind putting me together a lunch I can take with me? Thanks." Turning back to the others, "I think we need to get moving soon if we are to make it to Greenest soon, I can still feel the call to get there."

OOC: Was our meals today covered by our patron from last night? If not how much? Either way I will leave a GP tip for our hosts.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#170 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:Was our meals today covered by our patron from last night? If not how much? Either way I will leave a GP tip for our hosts.
All meal and lodging costs have been pre-paid. Even the packaged lunch.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by drpete »

Oskar

Impressed by the story of the black beast, the middle-aged Oskar offers "I can't speak for my associates and their reasons to travel. I'm here out of curiosity. I'm on my way to visit the fine Keep Scatterheart in Greenest. I've got a date with some buttresses, you might say. I wasn't anticipating... violence."

Oskar is interested in buying/upgrading to a chain shirt, if that's possible (with a trade in of his leather armor?
By the book this would be 50-5=45 gp) . He is also interested in picking up masons tools and carpenters tools.
All of these would only be possible if there's no price *inflation* and he spends his diamond, so there might be some choices to make.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rumble

"Ooh! Biscuits! And JAM!" Rumble races downstairs as he hears and smells the hint of jam. He tries his best to wait patiently as the jam gets passed around. His tail flicking about wildly. When he finally grabs the jam, he spreads it liberally on the biscuits at first, and then just uses his face to eat the rest.

"Excellent jam, Briez. I know how hard it is to pick the berries, especially to not eat them all." A jam-faced Rumble expresses his appreciation.

"Greenest. Right. Been too long." Rumble starts the arduous process of removing jam from his fur.

Rumble is interested in a wagon and an animal to pull it.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by Ahlmzhad »

"Luckily most don't need to anticipate violence. I hope you find your buttresses peaceful. If not for unexpected violence I'd be building up heat in my forge a'now instead of lollygagging with the jam eater there and the t'others." Then to the bar maid " Thank'ee for the service lass you've done well , he'll leave gp on the table for her. Sitting back enjoying the now yellow stained board, and pocketing the small portion of ham and cheese for later.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#174 Post by dmw71 »

This next update is going focus on all the shopping requests, here: Buying and Selling. It's not looking likely, but if I have time later tonight I will revisit this main thread and move the action along.

If not tonight, tomorrow.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#175 Post by Gerrin »

Tannaris Vethykos

Tannaris makes his way downstairs, stretching and working the kinks out of his back. He sits quietly at a table and tucks into breakfast while studying his spell book.
After a while he gathers his leather armor.
" Briez, would you be so kind as to give me directions to an establishment where I could sell my armor?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#176 Post by dmw71 »

Leaving Dahyrst
After the group concludes their shopping trip, they reconvene back at the Sleepy Salmon to collect the rest of their possessions before setting out for Greenest. Briez slips each member of the group a loaf of freshly baked bread for their journey. "Actually, hold on one sec -- " she says, dashing off into the kitchen and returning with a large rolled up sheet of dried parchment. "Here," she says, unfurling the parchment to reveal a scarcely detailed regional map:
Dahyrst to Greenest.jpg
Dahyrst to Greenest.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
"You can follow River Chionthar which winds southeast a bit, which will take you a little out of your way, but will prevent you from getting lost; or, just head straight south -- either way, once you hit the Uldoon Trail, head west -- it passes directly through Greenest."

"It's about a half day journey, so, leaving now, you should probably expect to arrive right around sunset."

Briez and Madame Hily thank you for your patronage, and welcome you back any time.

At just after half-past eight in the morning, you begin your journey.

---

Okay, this is more a set up than an actual action post. We'll get you guys moving here soon!

---

Time: 08:31
  • Sunrise: 05:59
  • Sunset: 21:06
Moon:
  • Half
Temperature
  • Low: 56°
Conditions
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • drpete | Oskar Loderr | Dwarf (Mountain) | Rogue (2) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d8) | HP: 20 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses

Features:
      • Dwarven Resilience
      • Stonecunning:
      • Tool Proficiency
        • Mason's Tools
        • Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.
        • Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
        • You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
        • During your rogue training you learned thieves’ cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation.
        • It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.
        • In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves’ guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.
        • You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
        • As well respected as clan crafters are among outsiders, no one esteems them quite so highly as dwarves do. You always have free room and board in any place where shield dwarves or gold dwarves dwell, and the individuals in such a settlement might vie among themselves to determine who can offer you (and possibly your compatriots) the finest accommodations and assistance.
  • ravenn4544 | Brenzavur Fyrebrand | Dragonborn (Brass) | Sorcerer (2) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d6) | HP: 18 | AC: 15 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      Spells
      Spells Known: 3 Cantrips Known: 4 ( Fire Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation )

Features:
        • Origin Features:
          • 1st:
              • Breath Weapon: 1 ( DC: 12 | AoE: 5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save) | Damage: 2d6 ( Half on successful save) | Recovery: Short )
            • Draconic Resilience
              • As magic flows through your body, it causes physical traits of your dragon ancestors to emerge. At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
              • Additionally, parts of your skin are covered by a thin sheen of dragon-like scales. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
      • Flexible Casting
        • You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points.
          ---
        • Creating Spell Slots
          • You can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot as a bonus action on your turn.
          • Any spell slot you create with this feature vanishes when you finish a long rest.
          • As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot’s level.
        • You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells.
  • Rex | Strega "the Pale" | Half-Orc | Druid (2) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Female | HD: 2 (1d8) | HP: 19 | AC: 15 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      Spells
      Spells Known: 4 (Wisdom modifier + Druid level) Cantrips Known: 2 ( Druidcraft, Produce Flame )

Features:
      • Relentless Endurance
        • When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead.
      • Savage Attacks:
        • When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
        • Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.
        • Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before.
          Beast Shapes (Forest )
          • 2nd
          • 4th
          • 8th:
          • Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can’t use them.
          • When you transform, you assume the beast’s hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form. For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn’t reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren’t knocked unconscious.
          • You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.
          • You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
          • You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature’s shape and size. Your equipment doesn’t change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can’t wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.
            • As a bonus action, you can choose one creature you can see within 120 feet of you and spend a number of those dice equal to half your druid level or less.
        • The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave you access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who or consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your return to society.
  • Gerrin | Tannaris Vethykos | Elf (High) | Fighter (1), Wizard (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d10), 1 (1d6) | HP: 20 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses

Spells
      Spellbook: Prepared Spells: 4 (Intelligence modifier + Wizard level) Cantrips Known: 3+1 ( Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, True Strike ) Features:
      • Fey Ancestry
        • You have advantage on saves against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
      • Trance
        • You don't need to sleep, but meditate semiconsciously for 4 hours a day. While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
        • When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack
        • Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover.
        • The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
      • Feature:
        • Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and peopl
  • Monsieur Rose | Rumbling "Rumble" Mountain | Tabaxi | Barbarian (2) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d12) | HP: 24 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses
      Features:
        • When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
          Recovery: Once you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you move 0 feet on one of your turns.
      • Cat’s Claws
        • While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:
          • When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
          • If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.
        • It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then.
        • While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
        • When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly.
        • Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.
        • You gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren’t as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger.
        • You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells.
        • You can always find a place to perform in any place that features combat for entertainment — perhaps a gladiatorial arena or secret pit fighting club. At such a place, you receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of the establishment), as long as you perform each night. In addition, your performance makes you something of a local figure. When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed, they typically take a liking to you.
  • Ahlmzhad | Quaalxor | Dwarf (Mountain) | Fighter (2) | Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 2 (1d10) | HP: 20 | AC: 16 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Passive Senses

Features:
      • Dwarven Resilience
      • Stonecunning:
      • Tool Proficiency
        • Smith's Tools
        • When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2.
        • The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
        • As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild’s coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild’s good graces.
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Quaalxor

"Thanks for the bread and the map Lass!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Rex »

Strega

"Thank you Briez." Strega starts off at a good pace.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#179 Post by dmw71 »

To Greenest
As per the suggestion from Briez's, you depart Dahyrst early, and follow the River Chionthar as it winds south and southeast, not stopping for longer than the occasional break. After what you guess to be four hours, as promised, and as the map illustrated, you spy the Uldoon Trail straight ahead. All you need to do now is follow it west, and runs directly through Greenest.

After a brief lunch, you begin your journey west. The trail, which, while consisting of nothing more than stamped mud and solid dirt, functions more like a road. A well traveled road, marked with footprints of all shapes and sizes, as well heavy draft animal impressions and wagon tracks, which are to be expected given this is the only real route trade caravans are able to travel.

You pass through the rolling grasslands, with some rolls in the landscape amounting to a near equivalent of an actual hills, making the journey more difficult. Especially for Daisy, pulling a wagon.

You travel for roughly four more hours, then another four hours, before ultimately stopping to take a quick break again for dinner, finishing off any snacks gifted to you before leaving Dahyrst.

The sun, which had been at your back for most of this western stretch, passes you, and continues to gradually descend against the western horizon.

As the sun continues to lower, and nightfall approaches, you suspect your journey may finally be nearing its end.

Your legs begin to ache as you begin yet another incline.

Clang!

A bell sounds off in the distance in front of you.

Clang!

The bell sounds again.

The clanging of this bell, at this time of night, fills you with a sense of unease.

Clang!

You near the top of the rise.

Greenest lies ahead, still a few short miles away. Thankfully this distance is all downhill; but care will still need to be taken for Daisy's benefit. The distance between your current location and the town proper is dotted with simple wooden structures -- farms, mills, tanneries, stables, carters, wainwrights, coopers, brewers, and other industries vital to supporting a trade town.

Clang!

The town.

When you catch sight of Greenest just ahead, instead of the pleasant, welcoming town you expected, you see columns of black smoke rising from burning buildings; figures, that are little more than dots at this distance, running to-and-fro; and a dark, winged shape wheeling low over the keep that rises above the center of the town.

Clang!

A bolt of lightning bursts forth from the dark, winged shape.

You think you hear screams! Of maybe that's just your mind playing tricks on you?

Greenest is being attacked by a dragon!

---

Your scene is officially set. I know you're going to be anxious to dive in and begin replying, but I am going to lock this down.

Expect a new thread later tonight or possibly tomorrow -- Episode 1: Greenest in Flames!

---

Time: 19:57
  • Sunrise: 05:56
  • Sunset: 21:03
Moon: Half
Temperature
  • Low: 57°
Conditions
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None.
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
    • Passive Senses

Features:
      • Dwarven Resilience
      • Stonecunning:
      • Tool Proficiency
        • Mason's Tools
    • Passive Senses
      Spells

Features:
        • Origin Features:
          • 1st:
            • Draconic Resilience
      • Flexible Casting
          ---
        • Creating Spell Slots
    • Passive Senses
      Spells

Features:
      • Relentless Endurance
      • Savage Attacks:
          Beast Shapes (Forest )
          • 2nd
          • 4th
          • 8th:
    • Passive Senses

Spells
      • Fey Ancestry
      • Trance
      • Feature:

• Passive Senses
      Features:
      • Cat’s Claws
    • Daisy | Draft Horse | AC: 10 | HP: 22 | SP: 40'
      • STR: 18 (+4), DEX: 10 (0), CON: 12 (+1), INT: 2 (-4), WIS: 11 (0), CHA: 7 (-2)
      • Passive Perception: 10 | Attack (Hooves): +6 to hit (5-foot reach), 2d4+4 (bludgeoning)
    • Passive Senses

Features:
      • Dwarven Resilience
      • Stonecunning:
      • Tool Proficiency
        • Smith's Tools

Rolls
Last edited by dmw71 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit: Forgot to include Daisy
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”