Group 2: Buying and Selling

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Group 2: Buying and Selling

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Buying and Selling
Let's manage all requests to purchase or sell items here. You don't need to know the name of the shop, or shopkeeper, just the item(s) you're looking to purchase (using the Equipment lists from the Player's Handbook as your guide) or the item(s) you're looking to sell.

To help expedite any transactions, please include as much detail up front when making your request. For instance, if you're looking to negotiate prices, please include a brief overview of your attempt, and provide either a Persuasion or Intimidate check, as appropriate.

This will still require a bit of role-play (e.g. if a desired item isn't available, the cost of the desired item if it is, etc...), but I can better guide the action the more information I have up front.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Buying and Selling

#2 Post by Computer +1 »

Urth Stormwind

Urth enters the smithy and waits for some help. He has his backpack on and is holding his mace in one hand and a black rod in the other.
He looks at both and sighs and nods his head as if he as settled something.

He is looking to sell his mace, he isn't bothered much about the return it will bring. In addition he would like to buy a stiff brush to clean his leather armor and some preserving oil or beeswax, again for the armor.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by BearSiren817 »

Price Negotiation:
Catarina follows Grimbul and Urth into the smithy. Winking at Grimbul, in case she needs his help with her negotiations and once the Smith arrives she says, “Good morning to you. We would like to purchase some weapons and armor and also have some items to sell. Hopefully, we can meet at a good price given the amount of business we are conducting.”

Persuasion for him to give a good deal:
[1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13

Looking for a Rapier (25gp), Studded Leather (45gp), Dagger (2gp). 72gp
Selling Shortsword (10gp), Leather Armor (10gp). 20gp x 1/2 = 10gp
I have 55gp. (Was there anything in the bandit leaders pouch besides the healing potion)

I just realized when I was making my character and changed from Archeologist to Far Traveler while creating my character it added both sets of starting equipment. I was wondering why I had a shovel and a miner’s pick. Also, only start with 5 gold instead of 25 gold so I’m going to have to do some reworking of my equipment list and see what I can sell and afford.
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul assists if needed with negotiating prices and will merely look at buying some more rations for himself in the process. "She's with me." he indicates the good Dr. Cat Jones "I gotta get some more rations fer travellin."

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 18
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by BearSiren817 »

“My dwarven friend has a hard time telling males from females but who would blame him when his female counterparts also have beards.” Catarina then thinks about it and realizes she is probably hairier than a female dwarf. She spends a moment reflecting on this strange land.

In the final steps of negotiations she will try to get another 20 arrows thrown in. 1gp

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Sorry, guys. I was not at all ready for all this shopping (don't get me wrong, it's fine/great that you're doing it); I really should have been more prepared.

I was able to stock the various locations you'll need, and create the NPCs... I just don't have time tonight to write everything out in narrative form. I will try to tackle this early-ish tomorrow to get you guys moving again.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by BearSiren817 »

I’ve got a ton of encumbrance now that I’m free of the Archeologist equipment 30 lbs. So not sure if we need the donkey and cart especially if we are trying to sneak anywhere...Grimbul and Kãn have another 100 lbs. Our other rogue has 140 lbs.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

it's cool Dave, and i swear i typed she but posted from my phone so go figure...I fixed it so that little line about not knowing the difference is invalid ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Pulpatoon »

With Greenest being so close, Kañ-Demir dismisses his notion of getting a donkey. IN fact, he decides to splurge on some fresh victuals for the day's travel. He begins composing a shopping list as he wanders the market, looking for good foods. "Bread, yes. I like this country's bread. Cheese—you make weak cheese, however, like food for babies. Still, a hunk of cheese. A jar of pickled preserves. And such herbs and produce as are in season. And good oil."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

BearSiren817 wrote:I just realized when I was making my character and changed from Archeologist to Far Traveler while creating my character it added both sets of starting equipment.
Been there, done that. It's a pain to rework... so, sorry. :(

Actually, this is a good reminder. I'm going to search to see if this bug (because it is) has already been submitted to D&D Beyond, and will submit it myself if not.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Sorry for the delay.

---

Absent any plans for pre-trip shopping, Targ and Dureau elect to linger behind and prolong their breakfasts while the others set out to spend some of their newly earned coins. As the group's plans still involve setting out for Greenest early this new day, their shopping excursions begin soon after finishing their morning meals.

While splitting up would make the most efficient use of their time, Breburh is a small enough town that they feel comfortable all traveling together to each stop -- which should total no more than three or four: a smithy, a tanner, the general store, and potentially a place to find adventuring gear, if necessary.

First Stop: Horgath's Anvil
Catarina, Grimbul, Urth, and Kañ-Demir approach a spacious, single-story, windowless stone building with a pair of chimneys; each billowing a constant stream of smoke. A steel-framed wooden sign reading "COME IN." hangs outside the front door, which is kept slightly ajar.

Catarina, who has the most business at this location, peers inside and notices a tall human male with straight blonde hair and an uneven beard clanging a small hammer against a sheet of steel; rotating and repositioning it on an anvil with each strike. After a few moments, he grabs the steel with a set of tongs, heats it in one of his two burning forges, pounds it a few more times, then douses it into a barrel of water. A sizzling sound accompanies a blast of steam which lasts for a moment or two, until he withdraws his current project and sets it on a workstation, which is cluttered with hammers, chisels, fullers, swages, tongs, and other tools of the trade.

He glances over, wiping the sweat from his brow with a gloved hand, leaving behind a streak of dirt, or soot. He removes his heavy apron and gloves, uncovering a stained of heavily stained overalls. He wipes at his face again, this time with a towel.

"How can I help you?" he asks in a no-nonsense manner, looking curiously at his half-cat patron. "Name's Horgath," he volunteers, introducing himself to his prospective customers. Catarina, with Grimbul in tow, and Kañ-Demir and Urth trailing along, begins the introductions for the party and shares her intents.

"Sadly, I don't currently have any suits studded leather available, much less one that would accommodate your frame," Horgath admits, but does add that a suit could be commissioned for her -- in three or four days -- if she'd like. "I'd just need to take some measurements... and collect a minimal deposit, of course."

"I can definitely help you with your rapier and dagger request, though."
he quickly chimes in, moving, with an unexpected grace for a human, over to a waist-high shelf in corner of his shop and returning with some samples.

"The rapier I can part with for, say... 30 gold, and the daggers we'll say are 1 gold each." he offers.

Grimbul interjects himself into the negotiation and asks to inspect the blades. The dour dwarf grunts and grumbles a few times, nodding and shaking his head at various points, then suggests that one of the rapiers is slightly imbalanced. While Horgath strenuously objects, he does agree to drop his price on that blade. "Fine," he says begrudgingly. "I can maybe knock 3 gold off that one -- so, 27 gold..." he mumbles.

The smithy agrees to purchase the short sword for the expected 5 gold. "In fact, I'll make it 6 gold if you make a purchase here today."

Urth takes this opportunity to mention his interest in parting with his mace. "A fine weapon," Horgath says as he continues his inspection. "Lightly used... or, maybe, just well cared for... "

"Speaking of well cared for..."
Urth says, capitalizing on the opportunity to transition into his next request: tools or supplies to care for leather armor. "Surprisingly, I probably have what you're looking for --" the smithy acknowledges, again, that he doesn't currently have any leather armor, studded or otherwise, and doesn't really have a need for the supplies any longer since he hates working with that medium, and has gotten into the habit of pushing people to the town tanner for those requests.

"Care to make it an even trade?" he asks, suggesting he part with his steel brush and a few flasks of preserving oils in exchange for the mace.

When Catarina tries to request some arrows be included in any deal, the smithy doesn't stock or sell them, but does offer up a dozen of his own personal arrows at no cost if it will get a deal done.

"So, do we have a deal? Or deals?" he asks, hopefully, looking to both Catarina and Urth.
Catarina, unfortunately, he doesn't have any studded leather (neither does anyone else in town), so you'll maybe need to wait for Greenest to check there. If you sell your short sword (+6), and purchase the rapier (-27) and dagger (-1), it will be 22 gold pieces total (with 12 free arrows thrown in).

Urth, yours would be a simple swap.
Second Stop: General Goode's General Goods
The general store is next. There, Kañ-Demir is able to secure a sack full of bread loafs, wheels of cheese, and a few other foodstuffs -- enough for a five meals -- for 1 gold piece.

Third Stop: Hide Away
A series of curses are heard as the group approaches the town tanner. "You piece of shite!" a male voice is heard yelling, frustrated. Tery, the tanner, looks miserable as he works to stretch a piece of leather, but lacks the strength to do so. "You arse!" he cries, cursing the cow that supplied this particular piece of hide, before realizing the group had arrived.

He stands to greet the group, his potential patrons, and makes no apology for any language you may have overheard. Tery is slender, with thin, untoned arms, and has wavy golden hair and dark amber eyes. He wears an old suit of leather armor and a scimitar rests in a scabbard nearby.

"The fock can I do for you?" the wiry man asks, anxious for some reason to return to his task. When Catarina presents the suit of leather armor she's looking to sell, the man just stares. "You interrupt me for that?!" he says flatly. "Get the fock out of here..." Then, before the stunned group can even react, he quickly has a change of mind.

"Eh, 5 gold... take it or leave it," he says, fishing his hand into a pouch dangling from his belt and jingling some coins.

---

Alright, that's where we stand with the initial offers.

Each contact has a different tolerance for negotiations, but you're welcome to try. Though, I might caution you against pressing Tery too much. :lol:
Actually, speaking of Tery, I just realized that without the studded leather, Cat may not even be looking to sell her current leather armor -- but I'm leaving your visit to the tanner in there anyway since he is fun to play. :D

I wasn't sure exactly how these shopping trips would work, but I'm thinking they'll be fully managed here -- meaning, feel free to respond directly in this topic with your responses to the presented offers. We'll role-play the entire shopping trip here.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by BearSiren817 »

“I’m looking for an extra dagger sir. You have a deal at 22gp plus my shortsword for the Rapier, a dozen arrows and a dagger. Unfortunately, I don’t think we can delay our travel any longer to wait for studded leather” Catarina doesn’t negotiate further as she doesn’t much care for coins and is anxious to get back on the road and discover the fascinating things in this land.

She will keep her leather armor.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

BearSiren817 wrote:“I’m looking for an extra dagger sir.
Each dagger is just 1 gold piece.

After the one you purchased, he has 13 remaining.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by BearSiren817 »

Oh -1.

“So, do we have a deal? 22gp?”

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

BearSiren817 wrote:“So, do we have a deal? 22gp?”
It's 22 gold for one dagger. 23 gold for two.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by BearSiren817 »

Just one is good. I have two already.

GreyWolfVT

Re: Group 2: Buying and Selling

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm not going to haggle on rations I'll just pay whatever the asking price is since i only have 1 day rations on Grimbul.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

As he finishes up his breakfast, Dureau realizes that there is, in fact, something he wishes to purchase. Finding Madame Kathil and Merey, he asks them where he might be able to purchase adventuring supplies. These would be items less suited to use in your home, more along the lines of things needed by one specializing in wandering the dark places where most fear to tread, facing creatures best left unthought of by your lovely selves. After hearing their reply, he thanks them before hurrying out to the recommended store.

Yes, Shopkeep, my good man (or lady), I was hoping to purchase a few items of use for, hmm, adventure, of a sort. Specifically, a potion of healing and a healer's kit- sometimes, one must accept that they need mundane help on occasion instead of always relying on the divine, yes? Also, I would like some chalk. Three pieces of differing colors, I think. Maybe red, blue, and...white or yellow, perhaps? And maybe a bag of...those things you throw on the ground...don't tell me...sharp, so it hurts to step on them...calrots, I think they are?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul speaks up "Do ya mean caltrops? Rather than calrots?"

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Computer +1 »

Urth Stormwind

Urth smiles a sad smile Actually she has seen me through some rough times but things have changed he says while looking at the mace lovingly. He passes it over, A straight swap is fine by me.

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 2 (5e)”