PROLOGUE: The Burial Lair of Koboldi-Karn

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

PROLOGUE: The Burial Lair of Koboldi-Karn

#1 Post by Norjax »

The Burial Lair of Koboldi-Karn

Recent heavy rains have washed out several hillsides and gullies near your village. One landslide has exposed a cave showing evidence of masonry construction. Rumors quickly spread that this could be a kobold burial lair, sealed hundreds of years ago during the advance of the Tinjis Empire. The kobolds once populated the underearth all over this region, before the coming of the Empire. They have since been displaced, but evidence of their culture turns up from time to time. An unspoiled burial lair would surely hold treasures worth a lifetime of toil as a peasant. Even now, the word has spread to nearby settlements. Strangers from those areas have wandered into your village asking questions; time is of the essence.

Those who have found the courage to investigate have gathered near the cave entrance just as dawn breaks…

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: PROLOGUE: The Burial Lair of Koboldi-Karn

#2 Post by Norjax »

Three groups have joined together to explore this burial lair:
  • The human farmers, woodcutters, wainwright, beadle and scribe hail from the local village of Riev.

The human noble, mercenary, gambler, confidence artist and jester are part of a traveling troop who happened to be in the area when news of the exposed cave began to spread.

The two elves declined to say where they were from, only that it was in their interest to explore this unknown entrance to the underearth.

--

Freshly loosened dirt and rubble is strewn before the 3ft wide by 6ft high irregular gash in the hillside. Some roots cover the inner walls of the cave, but polygonal masonry is evident just beyond the extent of ambient light from the sun. A new 2ft by 12ft long pallet lies on the ground just outside the cave, and a few human-sized footprints are in the fresh soil. The footprints lead in, but you do not see any exit tracks.

The only sounds you hear are the rustle of leaves in the light wind and birds singing from time to time.

Actions?

OOC: You may purchase equipment for your character before proceeding into the dungeon.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Ralph Wallace, woodcutter

The tall, lanky, dark haired man seems reasonably laid back. His axe rests on his shoulder as he splits his attention between the entrance, the surroundings and the other groups.

Terryk Terrine, turnip farmer

The short, lean, fair-haired farmer seems nervous. He clutches his pitchfork tightly as he keeps his attention on the entrance.

Loreta Swift, scribe

The tall slim brunette glances at the tracks at the entrance

"It looks like someone beat us to it. Perhaps we should work together for a greater chance of success" she looks at the other groups, waiting for a response.

Buckminster Fullerine, con-artist

The slim, black haired man pulls his cloak around him to keep out the chill. He stays behind the others in his group trying not to draw attention to himself as he watches the other groups intently.
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

Mercenary: Arnie Wilson

Arnie peters into the cave, sword drawn, looking for the owners of the footprints.

Wainwright: "Knuckles" Wagonwheel

Knuckles looks over the pallet, hoping to get a sense of what might have been on it, or what brought it here. (A wagon, maybe?)

Gambler: "Einstein" McGraw

Einstein holds back, and talks to the other groups "We'd be happy to follow you in there... safety in numbers, and all, right?"

Woodcutter: Luke Garner

Luke pauses at the tracks, and tries to get a sense of how many people have gone in before them...

I'll try to get equipment sorted out before we go in... basically, I'll have my guys pool their money to get a hammer and a few spikes, some bags and some torches, just need to sit down and do the math/ divvy them up.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Beadle and Chandler-

Morris As the official representative of the Church, we must proceed carefully. There may be souls to rescue here.

Derrek nods. Of course. And maybe treasures to collect! He uses his flint to light a candle, holding it up to light the tunnel.

Arya doesn't speak, just nods. She checks her falcon's hood and makes sure her dagger is easily drawn.

Ruby looks distressed. No one told me there's be dirt! I wore my best riding boots! She holds her sword awkwardly and fidgets, waiting for someone else to make the first move.

After a few moments, Arya says We're using up daylight. Let's go. She'll be one of the first into the tunnel, looking carefully at the walls and floor.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Norjax »

Arnie the Mercenary approaches the hillside and peers into the dark cave entrance. Derrek lights his candle and hold it up to tunnel entrance. Before they can proceed, Arya presses through them towards the dark gash. The wood elf snuffs the flame from Derrek’s candle and proceeds to gaze inside, using her unspoiled infravision.

Just beyond the cave entrance (around 5ft) the rooted soil changes to POLYGONAL MASONRY. The passage beyond the entrance is 4ft wide and 6ft high. Zig-zag blocks cover the floor walls and ceiling. The floor is smoother than the walls, but is not a perfectly flat surface; the joints between the blocks are a few inches lower and have collected dirt, dust and small debris. The tunnel leads ahead 60ft and opens into a larger chamber. In the floor, around 20ft ahead is an open pit 5ft across and the entire width of the hall.

--

Knuckles examines the pallet lying on the ground. It is of sturdy, yet rudimentary construction that appears hastily made. There are footprints next to the pallet and no wheel tracks in sight. Judging by the depth of the prints, it was probably carried to this location before being dropped.

Luke tries to determine numbers from tracks. His best guess is that two humans made the prints that lead into the cave. The footprints match those found near the pallet.

--

Actions?

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by rossik »

Corn Farmer: Zeek
- He looks around, amazed. He starts to talk to his mule, Shortbump II, trying to keep it calm.
"guys, i dont think Shortbump II is too nervous, but i prefer to go last in our marching order, so i can handle him."

Dwarven mushroom farmer: Tiberius Goodjourney
- Hands in hips, just looking around
"le'me take a look at this wall with my dwarven eyes. please keep the light low, will'ya?"

Jester: LePlank
- Tries to say something funny, but he is too scared for this.
"G-g-guys, i have this chest we can fill with riches. If the corn guy doenst mind, i will keep it with the mule"

Rice Famer: Anne.
- She looks to her goose, waiting for some sign from the gods.
"Thats a blessed goose. He will show us a way inside!" and she throws the bird inside

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Norjax »

Tiberius joins the wood elf just inside the cave entrance. He too observes the POLYGONAL MASONRY of the 4ft wide by 6ft high passage. There is an open pit across the floor ahead, and the passage leads 60ft before opening into a larger chamber.

Anne approaches the hillside opening and impulsively realeases her goose into the cave. The bird 'honks' in shock and lands on the stone floor. It scurries back and forth, trapped, between Arya and Tiberius inside and Anne at the entrance. The goose continues to 'honk' and 'hiss' in confusion.

MAP 1

Actions?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

Stands watch at the entrance.

Wainwright: "Knuckles" Wagonwheel

Knuckles calls Einstein over, and asks him to pick up one end of the pallet. How long is it?

Gambler: "Einstein" McGraw

Einstein will pick up the other end of the pallet.

Luke wil light a torch, and approach the entrance, getting ready to go in...

"Are we going in, or what? Are you guys saying you want the humans to stay out here?"

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by rossik »

Rice Farmer: Anne
"Go, sacred goose! Show us the way!". She shush him gently, not to scare the goose, but to keep it moving.

Dwarven fungus farmer: Tiberius
"Hey boys, do ya have a long rope or something? The rock that was worked seems to logical way to the treasure!"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Ralph Wallace, woodcutter,

"I've got rope, Terryk has a grappling hook"

he gestures to the farmer with the pitchfork, who nods.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Urson »

Morris the Beadle Raising his hands, Morris begins a loud and over-flowery prayer, asking for The One to bless the group and their adventures. One Who has always been! We come today, asking for your blessings as we..... etc,etc,etc

Derrek the Chandler He perks up when treasure is mentioned. He waits while the scouts visually examine the tunnel ahead.

Arya the Falconer She sighs when Morris begins his prayers, waiting for him to shut up so she can hear anything down the tunnel. When the 'blessed goose' makes his appearance, she shakes her head. Settle, Dart. She strokes her kestrel's breast feathers with a finger to help calm the bird.

Ruby the Noble Ruby fidgets and sighs. This is so dull! I wish I hadn't come! Papa said he'd let me get that gorgeous necklace if I came along on this thing.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Norjax »

Knuckles and Einstein pick up the 2ft by 12ft long pallet. It is light enough for the two men to handle and move.

Anne’s action pushes the goose through the legs of Arya and Tiberius, beyond, into the tunnel. The goose stops at the edge of the open pit and quietly ‘honks’ in confusion.

Arya settles her kestrel, which is momentarily disturbed at the appearance of the hissing goose.

MAP 2

Actions?

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by rossik »

Corn Farmer: Zeek
The farmer will just wait. He wishes to go last with his mule

Dwarven mushroom farmer: Tiberius Goodjourney
"Stoopid bird", say Tiberius, the dwarven farmer. "Lemme see what it found", and he walks to the goose, looking at the walls, and possible the fungus around.

Jester: LePlank
The Jester stay with the mule, too scared to go right now

Rice Famer: Anne.
"Amem, brother!" she say to Morris. "Lets enter this place", and she goes after the dwarf

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by drpete »

Arnie waits at the entrance.

Wainwright: "Knuckles" Wagonwheel and Gambler: "Einstein" McGraw

Knuckles and Einstein, with Einstein leading the way, walk the pallet into the tunnel, and lay it across the "pit" to make a little bridge.

Luke will follow the guys with the pallet, lighting their way.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

Ralph Wallace, woodcutter

Ralph seems quite content to let the others rush around ahead. He keeps an eye out for an ambush while the group heads in.

Terryk Terrine, turnip farmer

Terryk seems nervous with all the noise. He holds his hen close to him and tries to comfort her

"Don't worry Camilla, I'll keep you safe"

Loreta Swift, scribe

Loretta seems put out when all the others rush into the passageway in front of her. She tuts and tries to see what she can around them, before giving up and waiting for them to move forward.

Buckminster Fullerine, con-artist

Buckminster approaches Ruby and sketches a little bow.

"Perhaps I can be of service milady. Maybe I can help you find some gems that match your beautiful eyes"

Return to “DCC RPG: 0-Level Funnel”