Protectors of the Crown

AleBelly
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Protectors of the Crown

#21 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods at the wise gnome’s words.

”I need to stay a week to complete my training, but I am happy to come along if the need is great. The ranger and the spellblade there acquitted themselves very well in the field. Perhaps a concerted effort with all of us could make a bigger difference, what do you ladies think?” the Halfling asks curiously
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by scottjen »

Zo looks at his still shabby garments and frowns, noting that he needs to do some shopping now that he has a few coins. Then he looks up and says: So the plan is to join with these other protectors on to root out evil where this wizard, Renard was? I don't suppose anyone found his spell book? He looks at the other protectors - if Tempus is friends with them, that is good enough for Zo. He greets the other protectors: I am Zocaerdaelion, but everyone calls me Zo. I am pleased to meet you (bows).

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by enn.in.me »

"Zocaerdaelion, it is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Yenny, and everybody calls me Yenny. Funny that each of us is oncerned about something different. His spellbook you say? I don't rightly recall; it was such a, um, argumentative time. I suppose somebody knows. Renard must be rather grumpy without it if we did. I wonder if he is still... Jobin--you say his constitution was deteriorating. This is because you removed the compulsion? I expected you to say that he died in your care, but you said he teleported away. I assume that Trona could reverse the degradation by reimposing the compulsion. We must presume that Renard has gone back to Trona's tower."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Storm11 »

]Perhaps he should have been silenced permenantly before it got to this point? Anyway what’s done is done. You bested him once. So that’s a good sign you can do so again. Maybe break his fingers next time, hmm? says the Druid sadly.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by AleBelly »

Jobin's jaw stiffens. "I expected more questions of the mage's escape. It's a risky business to allow a powerful wizard to use his voice and hands. He was bound when we interrogated him. But to talk to him, we had to remove his gag. The fault of his escape lies with me. I bear the responsibility. Being unfamiliar with the arcane arts, I was surprised that such powerful sorcery could be summoned by voice alone. And I assume the wizard we summoned would have known such a thing. Perhaps he reasoned that if the prisoner was to escape by such a method, he would have done so already."

He scratches his face thoughtfully. "And there may be truth to that. He spoke with us freely until his decline hastened. Our attempts to block his enchantment failed. I can only surmise he decided to return to fulfill his duty. And as I mention earlier, he must have been in the thrall of a powerful spellcaster. This Trona must be formidable."

Jobin turns his large frame towards the west. "Renard tells us Trona slays men with naught but his voice. Such power has subjugated entire villages in the west. But he is not content with only the living amongst his ranks. He and his priests are emptying the graveyards of the towns, compelling the dead to walk again. Their progress is slow, but Renard estimates the edge of his territory is but a week's march from here. And he has allies even closer. It is too dangerous to travel there now. Wiping out the filth underneath Strod is our highest priority. Renard said he informed you that he was crafting golems to aid in the attack from beneath. He needed a tome to do so. This is of great value, though I am told that none but practicers of the arcane arts should read it lest they risk death. He did indeed leave behind a book of spells..." continues Jobin as he looks at Zo. "Quite a reward, I reckon."

"And though it is too dangerous to scout too far ahead, that does not mean we can't look for allies. Our patrolmen have seen signs of a small band of elves, likely a few miles northwest of the lair Tempus, Zo, and Lucas liquidated. There's a chance the elves could be friendly. This is a mere diplomatic mission...probably best to exclude half-orcs and dwarves from a first meeting. But it is not without danger, being over a day's journey away."

The king's aide looks about to end the meeting when he looks down at his hand. "Oh yes, I nearly forgot. The ring you found. Renard claimed it worked best under darkness. Even better in the outdoors without sunlight. It summons forth energy not unlike that of lightning in a stormy sky. It manifests itself differently - depending on how many taps the wearer gives it."

Jobin looks them all over. "Our dark days did not end when Casmir reclaimed his rightful throne. But united we stand a better chance against the shadows in the west. I pray to Pelor that we face no other ominous threats."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by enn.in.me »

With a wink towards Alebelly, Yenny says, "There is a higher god even than Pelor that controls the ominous threats in our life, but I will add my prayers to Veles that you have described the worst of what we will face in the near future. Bringing the dead to light cannot be allowed to go unchecked. If, however, the creatures beneath Strod are what is most urgent, I know a ranger who will most happily sprint there, leaving behind the chance for dancing lessons and all. I, at least, will see the rest of our group at the pub, and we shall most likely set forth with the sunrise." Yenny gives a strong look at Jobin's finger, thinking what fun sending electrical shocks out in the dark could be. "I don't recall if we discussed finder's rights, but is that ring the crown's, and if so, might one of its protectors make use of it in the crown's service?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by AleBelly »

"The ring was not the property of the crown in the past. And so it is yours" Jobin replies.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by enn.in.me »

« Ooh. Very well then. I’ll take it and we’ll see who wants to spray lightning from their hand! »

I assume at this point there will be a general message to the Strod crew and negotiations can begin?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by AleBelly »

Hyde has (but doesn't necessarily own the ring. Just as a reminder, the group decided three years (!!!) ago to try a bidding system. There's no need to force this, but just in case y'all wanted to stick with it, here's the page describing what you all came up with:

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=4759

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by scottjen »

Zo:
(to Jobin): Have you defeated any protective enchantments he had on the book? Would I be able to study it? Perhaps it could make me a more potent Protector?
(to all): I would join you in a week (if that is the plan) to slay these orcs and find this tome to create golems. If we could use them against Trona...
(smiles at Yenny & quietly to her): Do they have elfin wine at this pub? Music? Dancing?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Storm11 »

Would it possible for you to cast a lasting light enchantment on this gem Yenny for me before you head out. Hopefully I can follow you guys to Strod once my training is complete. the Halfling asks politely.

I have a flask enchanted with a fire trap spell that I could give you. Drop it or have someone fire protected open it in the midst of combat and the trap will explode.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”