Marullus' character creation thread.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Marullus' character creation thread.

#21 Post by Marullus »

[1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 items
:P

How about...

Mandible of a 2-Foot Spider (1HD)
Pinion feathers of a Large Raven (1 HD)

(No creatures in DCC, so pulling stats from AD&D)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Name: Fiemar Snow-born
Class: Wizard
Level: 1
XP: 10 / 50
Place of Origin: The Cold Waste
Languages: Low Lankhmarese, Northspeak (Cold Tongue), Eevamarensee, Simorgyan
Lucky Roll: Born on the Battlefield (Damage Rolls +1)

AC: 9
HP: 5
Speed: 30'

STR: 8
AGI: 6 (-1)
STA: 11
PER: 13 (+1)
INT: 13 (+1)
LUK: 10

Reflex: +0
Fortitude: +0
Will: +2

Init: 1d20-1
Action Dice: 1d20

Attack:
Melee Attack: 1d20
Melee Damage: Longsword 1d20+1
Missile Attack: 1d20-1
Missile Damage: (+1)

Crit Die: 1d6
Crit Table: I
Threat Range(War): 20

Wizard Skills:
Base Spell Check: 1d20+2 (Mask) 1d20+4 (Comp. Lang; Animal Summon; Sleep)
Familiar:
Patron:
Corruption:

Spells:
Name/Level/Check/Stipulation/Manifestation
- Ekim's Mystical Mask / Level 1 / 1d20+2 / Spell is mentally draining when performed incorrectly. A failed casting of the spell inflicts 1 point of temporary Intelligence loss. / Manifestation: Caster plucks the mask out of thin air.
- Comprehend Languages / Level 1 / 1d20+4 / No Stipulation. / Manifestation: His eyes glow.
- Animal Summoning / Level 1 / 1d20+4 / Spell requires the caster to be fully dressed when invoking its mystical energy. / Manifestation: animal erupts from the ground fully formed.
- Sleep / Level 1 / 1d20+2 / Spell requires the caster be outdoors when working its magic. Failure to do so results in a -1d penalty to the spell check die / Manifestation: A warm breeze smelling of poppies.

Armor: None
Fumble Die: 1d4

Equipment

Hands:
Staff [1d4]

Pack: (takes one round to recover)
Waterskin
Flint and Steel
Unkempt reddish-gold wig (interesting item)
2 large sacks
10 Torches
10 days rations

Belt:
Pouch
- Mandible of a 2-Foot Spider (1HD)
- Pinion feathers of a Large Raven (1 HD)
- 1 piece of Chalk

Torso:
Longsword [1d8]

Coin:
1 Gold Rilk

Notes:
Place of Origin: The Cold Waste
Benison: Excellent Outdoorsman (3 Luck) [+1 for survival checks, +2 for cold wastes)
Doom: Outcast
Birth Augur: Born on the Battlefield (Damage Rolls +1)

Sworn White:
- Subtract -1 from spell damage rolls
- Add +2 to skill check for Comprehend Languages, Sleep, and Animal Summoning.
- -1d (1d16) for any Dark spells learned

Still a speaker of fate, he was outcast from his tribe as a child but, rather than dying in the snows, he was rescued by the being that raised him. The being had a formative effect, teaching him of magic, but the perils of using the magic arts to interrupt any living being's natural doom. (Death still comes to all, in their time, some even by his sword. But to use magic to slay is a dangerous interruption of the Loom.)
Is this right?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

Trinculo wrote:Grr.. This is really annoying: I lost a post that I swore I submitted. Or else I can't find it now, I don't know.
Anyway, the gist of it was that:
My character's tribe, his people, believed him to possess a fractured portion of a great mage's soul, a hero from their past. Set apart from the rest, he was raised in this knowledge, and trained in magic against the day when he would go out into the world and find the other carriers of the mage's soul, and challenge them to a deadly wizard-duel. Only in this way can the mage's soul be whole again, and the hero reborn. Certain prophecies guide his steps, as well as intuitions that he believes are the voice of the mage's soul. And in this way he has traveled for ten years, ending up in Lankhmar. So, kind of Highlander, but with less katanas and more magic. Hopefully there's still room for some Connery in there somewhere too.
I would like to have met Marullus' character and made a friend out of him. He has not recognized him as the other half of the hero's soul, however, as certain misguided prophecies have veiled this truth. That is, he believes the other soul-fracture to belong to a woman, or bear a certain mark, etc.

Oh yeah, name change too. His name is now: Asle Lunn. (Os-luh Loon)
That's awesome.

He is dedicated to slaying the other wizards with magic (in a duel).

I am morally opposed to slaying with magic and refuse duels.

We end up friends before he realizes I am (a/the) soul shard.

:-D

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by drpete »

Marullus wrote:[1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 items
:P

How about...

Mandible of a 2-Foot Spider (1HD)
Pinion feathers of a Large Raven (1 HD)

(No creatures in DCC, so pulling stats from AD&D)
Sounds fine, though I'm a little skeptical the spider is really all that "common" :)

On the topic of Ningauble... he has an army of spies, and is always interested in finding things out. He takes on special agents, heroes. To him they would be a "Gentle Son", and he their "beloved father".

He would send you on various errands, but semi- adopt you. It could kind of work?

The relationship, mechanically, is that you would have an ability to call for aid from the patron, and the patron would sometimes call on you for tasks, and/or to pay the debts owed due to requesting aid

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#25 Post by Wintermute »

Your 8 str is a -1 mod. I made the same mistake on my luck. That makes your longsword damage 1d8-1.

Edit 1d8 flat, with your birth sign

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by drpete »

As Wintermute said, I just see the damage issue.

If you want the patron, you get a "patron die"... a d10. To call for aid, you roll that die with the action die for the thing you want help with. If the patron die is lower than the unmodified action die roll, the patron will offer aid (generally a bonus on the die roll). The patron die then goes up to the next higher die type until you pay your debt to the patron by performing a task.

Would you like this kind of "formal" relationship?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

My internet was down all day... Just came back up! :) I'll respond to each thing:
Would you like this kind of "formal" relationship?
Yep, that sounds great!

I like that Ningauble is "fate" oriented... I was excited by the one-liner on the "Three Fates" in the regular book and am even more inspired now that I see the extended descriptions (p. 348-353). It fits very well with his Sworn White direction. If you don't object, I'll continue to be inspired in that direction. (How Ningauble actually manifests is, of course, up to you.)

So, when I complete a task for Ningauble, the die resets back to d10?
Wintermute wrote:Your 8 str is a -1 mod. I made the same mistake on my luck. That makes your longsword damage 1d8-1.

Edit 1d8 flat, with your birth sign
Awww crap. Thanks.
drpete wrote:Sounds fine, though I'm a little skeptical the spider is really all that "common" :)
One thing about OSR games... there are ALWAYS giant spiders. ;)

Given that I could only pick two, and that I presume I can get cats, rats, bats, etc within the city as gameplay goes on, I wanted to pick two good ones he'd have to have brought with him. Spider is a very useful and versatile choice as the 1HD Large Spider has webbing and venom that can affect human-sized opponents. Large Raven is a highly-intelligent flying friend, which is likewise versatile.

I understand if that's out-of-bounds and am happy to let you re-roll or pick - I flipped through the 2nd Ed AD&D Monster Manual for my stats, but I found a 3.5E reference this morning that gives a lot more choices (attached below).
Pages from DnD3.5Index-Monsters-byHD.pdf
(87.04 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
[1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2[1d49] = 43[1d49] = 39[1d49] = 22[1d49] = 33[1d49] = 22
Generating randomly (and assuming that dinosaurs and Dark Sun creatures are re-rolls) that gives me an Owl (1HD) and a Caribou (2HD). Also fitting, but I do like the Large Spider and Large Raven.
Caribou.png
Caribou.png (113.89 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
Owl.png
Owl.png (160.78 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
Your choice, or feel free to re-roll yourself. (If you get higher than a 1 on a d6, I'm happy to take whatever you're giving!)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by drpete »

The spider is fine, though you know that summoning spiders can be somewhat dangerous, as it can attract the attention of dark forces. How's that sound?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

...that feels wrong. If these are his only two primary animals, and he's Sworn White, he wouldn't pick one that attracts Dark Forces.

I guess that means Caribou and Owl?

It is okay to assume I'll acquire more animal-trophies within the adventure or downtime?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by drpete »

Yeah, that's no problem. There's also a great skin cloak on one of the players :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

drpete wrote:
Marullus wrote: I did notice (now that I read all the other benisons) that you basically gave me the "Agent of a Power" benison for free. Do you want me to roll another Doom to be fair?
Yeah, that's true. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I won't make you take the 4 luck penalty, though, since that's a pretty harsh thing to find out about after you've made the decision.
Extra Dooooom... [1d20] = 16
Uncivilized
Uncivilized: The PC is unfamiliar with the morals, mores, and
daily life of the big city. He stands out in crowds and constantly
suffers social faux pas when he interacts with “civilized
people.” The character suffers a -1d penalty to all skill and
ability checks when interacting with a city environment and
it inhabitants. Sample checks affected are Personality checks
when negotiation or meeting others, Intelligence checks to
notice urban dangers, Agility checks to navigate challenging
city environments, and similar rolls. Attack, saving throw, and
spell check rolls are never affected by this doom.
That works really well.... except for his 'acting' stint in the first encounter (which had phenomenal failure on its roles, anyway), this isn't hard to add-in. I'll start playing that up more.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Adding...

Man, these combine to make this guy hella interesting. It looks like I'll seldom roll 1d20. :shock:

If something specifically relates to the Cold Wastes, 1d30.
If something relates to the outdoors, 1d24.
If something relates to the city, 1d16.

...That covers most situations! :lol:

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”