004d - Sara and Ana’s 1st diving trip

ffilz
lenusmars
Guide
Guide

Re: 004d - Sara and Ana’s 1st diving trip

#41 Post by lenusmars »

ffilz wrote:It looks like it only does 1D encounter tables rather than the 2D encounter tables...
That's why you roll 6 of them. Right? :)

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#42 Post by lenusmars »

Sara's only slightly disappointed that she couldn't talk Ana into a bikini but is otherwise pleased that the tropical print gives some of the pop she was looking for. She takes note of the wolf's head and the symbols down Ana's spine. She also insists on chipping in for the suit for Vee.
Ramona wrote:Ana points at the Ollumara and shows the picture to Sara,“Good thing I brought clean underwear and a swimsuit, friggin’ toothy tentacle beast.”
Sara snickers, as she leans up against Ana's arm to get a look at the image. "Like I said, no fun without tentacle beasts, it's really the only reason to dive at all... plus I'm sure you're a match for anything out there. Ready to get this show on the road?

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Sara's only slightly disappointed that she couldn't talk Ana into a bikini but is otherwise pleased that the tropical print gives some of the pop she was looking for. She takes note of the wolf's head and the symbols down Ana's spine. She also insists on chipping in for the suit for Vee.
Ramona wrote:Ana points at the Ollumara and shows the picture to Sara,“Good thing I brought clean underwear and a swimsuit, friggin’ toothy tentacle beast.”
Sara snickers, as she leans up against Ana's arm to get a look at the image. "Like I said, no fun without tentacle beasts, it's really the only reason to dive at all... plus I'm sure you're a match for anything out there. Ready to get this show on the road?
Ana puts an arm around Sara and gives her a squeeze, “Lets go swimming.”

Twenty minutes later the dive boat is moving quickly across Baradin Bay and heading for the dive site. Taylor is behind the wheel while Bodie is laying out their gear on the aft deck. Ana is standing on the next to the wheelhouse gripping the rail and leaning out into the wind with a big stupid grin on her face, everytime the launch hits a wave water sprays into the air and is quickly blown back over the deck. The tall muscular womans clothes are completely soaked through and plastered to her body by the wind.

“This is so much better than home,” she yells at Sara above the roar of the engines, “I mean the humidity is brutal but if I fall off this I won’t be scrubbing sand and gravel out of my ass for weeks.”

Taylor throttles back the engines and pulls into the lee of one of an island as Bodie runs forwards a d tosses the anchor overboard.

Impossibly tall green and blue vegetation covers the the island and a white sand beach reaches out from the shore beneath the crystal clear aqua coloured waters.

The boat slides slowly foward over the anchor line until it bites and the launch comes to a halt.

Taylor erects a privacy screen on the aft deck that’s open to the ocean but closed off from the deck before finishing setting up the diving gear.

Ana looks at Sara and nods towards the screen,“After you m’lady.”

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#44 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote:Twenty minutes later the dive boat is moving quickly across Baradin Bay and heading for the dive site. Taylor is behind the wheel while Bodie is laying out their gear on the aft deck. Ana is standing on the next to the wheelhouse gripping the rail and leaning out into the wind with a big stupid grin on her face, everytime the launch hits a wave water sprays into the air and is quickly blown back over the deck. The tall muscular woman's clothes are completely soaked through and plastered to her body by the wind.

“This is so much better than home,” she yells at Sara above the roar of the engines, “I mean the humidity is brutal but if I fall off this I won’t be scrubbing sand and gravel out of my ass for weeks.”
When she's not looking around at the scenery of the bay (or trying to persuade Taylor to let her drive the boat) Sara is smiling at the sight of Ana enjoying the water and spray. Thinking privately that Ana reminds her of a big dog hanging her head out the window of a fast-moving transport...except for the part of the well-muscled form being hugged by wet cloth.
Ramona wrote:Taylor throttles back the engines and pulls into the lee of one of an island as Bodie runs forwards a d tosses the anchor overboard.

Impossibly tall green and blue vegetation covers the the island and a white sand beach reaches out from the shore beneath the crystal clear aqua coloured waters.

The boat slides slowly forward over the anchor line until it bites and the launch comes to a halt.

Taylor erects a privacy screen on the aft deck that’s open to the ocean but closed off from the deck before finishing setting up the diving gear.

Ana looks at Sara and nods towards the screen,“After you m’lady.”
Sara blinks for a moment as if surprised, snorts lightly with a grin, and heads for the screen emerging moments later in the lilac swimsuit and carrying her wetsuit looking at it in her hands with a strange expression. "Is there a diving suit company with a pink unicorn for a logo?" She asks.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Sara and nods towards the screen,“After you m’lady.”
Sara blinks for a moment as if surprised, snorts lightly with a grin, and heads for the screen emerging moments later in the lilac swimsuit and carrying her wetsuit looking at it in her hands with a strange expression. "Is there a diving suit company with a pink unicorn for a logo?" She asks.
“I’m certain there is Pinkie’s Pie and Dive Shop somewhere,” Ana says with a grin, she looks at somewhat puzzled looking Bodie, “you’ll understand one day darling.”

Ana reaches down to her waist and pulls off her top as she steps behind the screen, a few moments later her clothes are all hanging on the screen as she steps out dressed in the white and black suit.

Wiggling back and forth Ana begins pulling on her blue and black wetsuit,“So Taylor, you never did explain what we do if the venomous toothy tentacle beast shows up.”

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#46 Post by lenusmars »

Sara shakes her head, grinning. By the time Ana emerges, She's already mostly in the pink-trimmed, navy-blue wetsuit, though the zipper is still open. She's crouched down by Taylor who is checking the fit for pieces of Sara's dive gear.
Ramona wrote:Wiggling back and forth Ana begins pulling on her blue and black wetsuit,“So Taylor, you never did explain what we do if the venomous toothy tentacle beast shows up.”
Taylor ventures the opinion that, mainly, you should swim faster or if truly desperate, try and hit the eye.

"Don't worry." Sara says. "I'll just tell it that I have dibs."

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Sara shakes her head, grinning. By the time Ana emerges, She's already mostly in the pink-trimmed, navy-blue wetsuit, though the zipper is still open. She's crouched down by Taylor who is checking the fit for pieces of Sara's dive gear.
Ana looks over at Bodie and nods, “You and me big boy. It’s been a few years so feel free to point out any mistakes.”
lenusmars wrote:
Ramona wrote:Wiggling back and forth Ana begins pulling on her blue and black wetsuit,“So Taylor, you never did explain what we do if the venomous toothy tentacle beast shows up.”
Taylor ventures the opinion that, mainly, you should swim faster or if truly desperate, try and hit the eye.

"Don't worry." Sara says. "I'll just tell it that I have dibs."
“Poke it in the eye? Seriously?” Ana looks at Bodie who simply nods as he holds up her rebreather.

She takes the rebreather, slips it on and adjusts the shoulder straps before doing up the chest strap, “Poke it in the eye,” Ana mutters slipping the weight belt around her hips and synching it tight. “Poke a bloody Razorscale in the eye and it just get pissed off and wants to kill you more.”

Ana looks at Sara and winks, “At least you’re here to watch my butt.”

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#48 Post by lenusmars »

Sara grins in return after zipping up and adjusting her own equipment.

"Of course, it’s the other half of the fun."

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Ramona »

Ana winks pulls on her mask and hops in the water.

The dive lasts about 2 hours and before Sara and Ana have barely begun it is over.

The trip back to the starport takes almost as long as the dive as they are forced to make make multiple stops to decompress.

This should let us puch forward with the main thread.

Frank, the natives, what do we know about their vision? Is it normal human range or does it go off into the UV or IR end of the spectrum. I was thinking about buying a few hundred metres of high tensile line to mark our path into the cave, if the natives can’t see UV we could get something that’s not easy to see but glows under UV. Also want to hit a safety store and buy a bunch of fall prevention harnesses to hoist us back aboard the ship. And get a powder actuated fastening tool so they can fire anchor bolts into the rock to anchor the optics and the transmitter / receiver.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Ana winks pulls on her mask and hops in the water.

The dive lasts about 2 hours and before Sara and Ana have barely begun it is over.

The trip back to the starport takes almost as long as the dive as they are forced to make make multiple stops to decompress.

This should let us puch forward with the main thread.

Frank, the natives, what do we know about their vision? Is it normal human range or does it go off into the UV or IR end of the spectrum. I was thinking about buying a few hundred metres of high tensile line to mark our path into the cave, if the natives can’t see UV we could get something that’s not easy to see but glows under UV. Also want to hit a safety store and buy a bunch of fall prevention harnesses to hoist us back aboard the ship. And get a powder actuated fastening tool so they can fire anchor bolts into the rock to anchor the optics and the transmitter / receiver.
They do see in the ultraviolet. Infrared is not very useful underwater. They are known to use phosphorescence to provide light for underwater vision. They are known to be able to dive very deep, they are thought to have originated in shallow depths thus the amphibian nature, but at least one very deep habitation has been detected (it's not easy to explore at depth without getting equipment in the water, exploration has been limited). The human population here is presumed to have been a per-catyclysm population (the low tech populations tend to be such, though sometimes a population is low tech due to choices made in more modern settlement).

The drills you have in your mechanical kits should be usable for drilling into rock (you really don't want to "shoot" bolts into rock - see the commentary about the movie Cliffhanger - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffhanger_(film) ). You'll have a reasonable selection of fasteners. I figure enough uses for this kind of stuff that it would be part of standard equipment. Looks like harnesses would be about Cr 25 (here's the price page from a 1972 Chouinard catalog http://climbaz.com/chouinard72/graphics/page67.JPG full catalog http://climbaz.com/chouinard72/chouinard.html). For guide line, maybe Cr 10 per 100m spool.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Ramona »

6 harnesses and 500m of line.

Feel free to start up our “leaving the planet” test run.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Ramona »

FYI - New thread active.

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”