OOC Chatter

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter

#81 Post by Marullus »

That is a good point about Burning Wheel. It is a narrative-heavy game. It relies on players describing, embellishing, and expounding. I want you to all be verbose and play off each other.

I would like a check-in from each player - we've languished a while here. Are you all still in?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, no response in a week? I am interested in giving Burning Wheel Play by Post a spin, I don't know if we could swing a solo game, if you are interested, I'd be up to trying, though I wonder if a different setting then might be more appropriate.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Marullus »

Yes, my heart breaks. :cry: :cry:

I honestly think Burning Wheel loses something without interplay between the beliefs of multiple players. I'd be happy to re-cast with a smaller group, but would want a second player, at least. (Two tight-woven PCs can be interesting.)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:Yes, my heart breaks. :cry: :cry:

I honestly think Burning Wheel loses something without interplay between the beliefs of multiple players. I'd be happy to re-cast with a smaller group, but would want a second player, at least. (Two tight-woven PCs can be interesting.)
Yea, maybe go back to the drawing board ("Looking for players or games") and see what kind of interest there is.

I'd love to hear from the other players as to what caused them to lose interest because it seemed like we had decent interest. Was it the setting? The situation? The character generation? We did spend some time there and not everyone seemed comfortable with the character generation.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Marullus »

Agreed. Any feedback? I will leave the forum open so it can be posted.

Burning Wheel is challenging for new players on a learning curve, and isn't always a good fit for folks; I understand that. I figure that affected some, but what else?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm sorry about dropping of this. I kept reading, but I didn't even know how to respond anymore. The rules are wicked different from other games I've played and I just couldn't get around to consulting the book enough to help me.

I like this story though and as long as you two know it's a lot of hand holding, if continue on with it.

More later, I think.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Okay... More right now...

I've also never played a dwarf before and am intimidated by it. I don't know why that is, but it is.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:Agreed. Any feedback? I will leave the forum open so it can be posted.

Burning Wheel is challenging for new players on a learning curve, and isn't always a good fit for folks; I understand that. I figure that affected some, but what else?
It could be worth trying a basic human only game here to get some players on board. Present a pretty simple situation that players can easy grab.

I would love to give Burning Wheel a whirl in play by post.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'd be game for that.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

So, what kind of "basic human" story inspires you? There's a lot of room in Burning Wheel. Perhaps pick a setting for inspiration? (Seafaring, Military, Nobile Court, City?)

The main factor for my concern is that my BW method is very player-driven co-storytelling. It has to be something YOU are excited to tell as players.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:So, what kind of "basic human" story inspires you? There's a lot of room in Burning Wheel. Perhaps pick a setting for inspiration? (Seafaring, Military, Nobile Court, City?)

The main factor for my concern is that my BW method is very player-driven co-storytelling. It has to be something YOU are excited to tell as players.
That is true, but the GM also needs to be inspired (that is something I have struggled with some myself). I think it's actually one of the hard parts of Burning Wheel, it's so open for what you can do that coming up with an initial situation is a challenge.

I do have a character I'd love to find the right situation to play: Villager -> Trapper -> Strider in a 3 LP campaign.

One option if it excites folks would be Burning THAC0, drawing from the ideas of D&D, it narrows down the scope for an initial situation.

Frank

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

You know, i'd still be interested in middle Earth. Dwarfs are hard for me, i think. Looking at Filz's idea, maybe something dealing with the rangers? I'd the a beornling trait available? Though I'm always a sucker for the peasant-turned-adventurer. Maybe a woodsman who could take along with a strider.

I like stories about wilderness travel and survival, including dungeons.

What is Burning THAC0?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by ffilz »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:You know, i'd still be interested in middle Earth. Dwarfs are hard for me, i think. Looking at Filz's idea, maybe something dealing with the rangers? I'd the a beornling trait available? Though I'm always a sucker for the peasant-turned-adventurer. Maybe a woodsman who could take along with a strider.

I like stories about wilderness travel and survival, including dungeons.

What is Burning THAC0?
Yea, we could still do Middle Earth.

The original Burning THAC0 was the Burning Wheel Headquarters folks creating 3 life path characters and running them through on of the Basic D&D modules from the 70s. They then went on to have quite a campaign in Mystara. The name stuck as short hand for using Burning Wheel to run D&D inspired games.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

Burning Thac0 just always turned my stomach... taking something like Burning Wheel and making it into a D&D Clone just seems to lose so much. (That, and it is effectively making the game Torchbearer. :) )

A Mannish woodland-adventure in Middle Earth would be feasible, of course. You still want to be in Mirkwood as free northmen? With the Northern Rangers? With the Osgiliath rangers of Gondor? With the Rohrrim?

Still using the Rise of Smaug time period, just with no dwarves? Or do you want a different era? (It seems to be still particularly rife as a setting... especially with the greedy, needy dwarves now as an NPC force.)

Beorning...
I do like the idea.
I'm not sure how I'd do that. Tainted Legacy (5pt) or Fey Blood (4pts) let you pick up a single trait from another type. That doesn't fully cover a shape-changing bear-man-giant. I'd likely have to adapt it as a new racial stock, which is a big hack. (Of course, playing a PC Warg isn't a hack at all - Great Wolves are already a playable class. :) )

For your Strider...
What is it that appeals to you about being Foul-Smelling Loner? (His two required traits?)
What would be his beliefs to initiate a story?

If you have a strong drive for a human wilderness story, I can find something to build with it. For me, I'd rather try a seafarer, religious, noble, soldier, or city setting... something... different.

Return to “The Rise of Smaug (Burning Wheel)”