Session 1: The Citadel

DM: Dave
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Session 1: The Citadel

#241 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Feeling the healing magic surge through his body, knitting his wounds closed, the sorcerer staggers to his feet, uttering the words of magic that send his old friend, fire, streaking towards the troll. The flame, exploding on the troll's vile hide, causes the hideous smell of burning troll-flesh to nearly overwhelm the olfactory senses of those remaining conscious.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#242 Post by dmw71 »

Initiative Order
  1. Dragonpriest (15)
  2. Klilxuac (12)
  3. Sky (7)
  4. Aubron (5)
  5. Kelben (2)
  6. Farador (1)
---
Death Saving Throws
  • Sky
    • Success: 0
      Failure: 1
    Auborn
    • Success: 1
      Failure: 0
---

Round 9
The dragonpriest, heavily beaten, repeatedly, lunges at the newly restored sorcerer and stumbles in its weakened condition. Klilxuac, sticking with fire-based attacks, torches the troll with a 'Fire Bolt' which causes the troll to collapse in pain yet again.

This time, hopefully, for the final time.
R9.jpg
R9.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 2106 times

Farador, spoting Kelben lying near his feet, casts his second 'Cure Wounds' spell on the stable figure, returning the rouge to his feet for the first time since the earliest moments of the battle.

---

I still need the following for round 9:
  • Sky: Death Saving Throw #2
    Auborn: Death Saving Throw #1

---

Date: 12 Flamerule 1489
Time: 17:51 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Temp: 63°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 12 Flamerule @ 18:33)
  • Torch with Continual Light
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)

D&D Beyond Content: Campaign, Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Character Sheets Character Status
  • Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12-5 = 7-6 = 1 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
      Spell Slots: 0 (Cantrip: Poison Spray)
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10-6 = 4-6 = 0+9 = 9-9 = 0+4 = 4 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
      Spell Slots: None
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9-5 = 4-6 = 0 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Infernal
      Spell Slots: 0, 1st: 2, 1, 0
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
  • NPC | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#243 Post by Shaede »

Aubron lays there in a heap on the ground
Death Save [1d20] = 10

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#244 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben looks to the dragonborn and the hopefully dead troll thing "What the devil happened?" then rubbing where the bite was "Did I imagine it or did that thing bite me?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#245 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Yes. This damn thing bit just about all of us. We'd put it down, and it would get back up, he replies, before hurriedly attempting to send another bolt of fire into the troll's carcass to make sure it is dead. Dammit, I got distracted! Burn it to make sure it is dead!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#246 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "Sorry I didn't mean to distract you." the rogue looks around and helps go through the items in the sarcophagus.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky
Death Saving Throw: [1d20] = 15

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#248 Post by dmw71 »

Rest and Recovery
Clearly, something happened to the cleric in the time he went missing, as Farador is appears shaken. He does, however, have his wits about him enough to cast 'Spare the Dying' on Sky and Auborn, ensuring their stabilization. Auborn, thankful to be alive, appears to have taken his near-death experience quite seriously, and there is serious doubt as to whether he will continue with the group after recovering back in Oakhurst.

After securing all the treasure discovered, the group begins to carefully make the return trip through the dusty hallways and rooms they previously worked their way through.

Through the chamber, lined with alcoves:
Alcove.jpg
Alcove.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Over the still securely pinned-up pressure plate:
Pressure Plate.jpg
Pressure Plate.jpg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Past the room with the now broken, musical globes:
Music.jpg
Music.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Through the crumbled approach:
Crumbled Approach.jpg
Crumbled Approach.jpg (55.71 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
In the tower shell, they note the other door not explored, which, considering their progress was halted down the direction they just cleared, must lead further into the sunken citadel:
Tower Shell.jpg
Tower Shell.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
They cross the courtyard, careful to avoid the pit trap:
Courtyard.jpg
Courtyard.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 2079 times

Climb the series of switchback stairs:
Switchback Stairs.jpg
Switchback Stairs.jpg (510.53 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Once they reach what is essentially the bottom of the ravine, they, one at a time, use a combination of the rope and hand/footholds carved into the side of the ravine.

Grass; fresh air; a slight breeze; even the scent of wild plants and dirt are welcomed by your senses as you find yourselves above ground.

The group pulls out the overland map Kerowyn provided them. Examining it, they realize the direction and distance they must travel:
Overland Map.png
Overland Map.png (841.69 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Facing a roughly seven hour trip with only an estimated two or three hours of sunlight remaining in the day was a risk, but proved to be one worth taking as, in the wee hours of the morning, they arrive safely in Oakhurst.

Back at the Ol' Boar Inn, the two-story wooden building, Garon, the familiar proprietor, is surprised to see you, and welcomes you inside. For anyone that wants one, he provides them a free meal and drinks in exchange for a promise to tell him all about your adventures while a porter is sent up to ready a series of rooms.

Within the hour, everyone in the group is fast asleep.

You all wake, shortly after sunrise, and gather at the familiar rickety wooden tables moved together in the deep corner of the inn where you enjoy a meal and drinks while discussing your plans. It is while breaking fast that Farador, to the surprise of no one, shares that he has no intention of returning. The cleric refuses to discuss what happened to him during the period of his disappearance. Auborn, feeling indebted to the holy man, elects to remain behind as well.

---

A few things:
  • Everyone is able to take a full, long rest. So, yay!
  • Regarding the treasure recovered, please use the 'ooc' thread to discuss how it will be divided. Also, if you haven't already and I just missed it, please decide who will be carrying the map.
  • I may be willing to make an occasional exception, but I'd ideally like to play where, if it's not on your character sheet, you don't have it. I'd like this resolved before we start up again.
  • Shaede, feel free to elaborate on Auborn's decision -- or not. Also feel free to transfer any background knowledge or goals the ranger may have had to your cleric; we will assume the pre-game activity was his.
    ---
  • Yes, I will still need to update the 'Character Status' section below to reflect your new details after the group advanced to 2nd level. My weekend plans. ;)

---

Feel free to role-play in town a bit, here in this thread, or your private one. Otherwise, plan on kicking things off again Sunday night or sometime on Monday.

---

Date: 13 Flamerule 1489
Time: 06:37 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Temp: 62°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • None.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None.

D&D Beyond Content: Campaign, Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Character Status
  • Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12-5 = 7-6 = 1 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
      Spell Slots: 0 (Cantrip: Poison Spray)
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10-6 = 4-6 = 0+9 = 9-9 = 0+4 = 4 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
      Spell Slots: None
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9-5 = 4-6 = 0 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Infernal
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
  • NPC | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

The events of the past day seem to wear heavily on the taxabi. She doesn't run ahead, she barely bats at her yarn and seems to ignore all the tasty woodland creatures on the way back to town.

Once back among simple folk, her demeanor lightens and she seems back to normal. For her. She races into the tavern, determined to first inside to spin the tale of the trollish Dragonpriest. She quickly tries to gather a crowd and sing the praises of Farador and Klilxuac who single-handily defeated the foe.

As her companions filter in, she weaves each of their roles into a lively tune, slightly reminding you of a certain musical orb.

After performing and eating, she goes in search of a hand-crossbow to purchase.

GreyWolfVT

#250 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben merely goes to replenish any rations and water used up during the journey to and from the ruins. Aside from that the gnome just relaxes a bit where he can until the return trip.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#251 Post by dmw71 »

I meant to do this originally, but a little housekeeping was able to fix it. I have created a new forum for your return trip (and moved all the appropriate posts): Session 2: Return to the Citadel.

Please use it going forward.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”