Part 1: Eastdale

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Part 1: Eastdale

#81 Post by spanningtree »

Gunter

Taking a big swig of ale: Ja, we'd be interested... hear there is an owlbear involved. Can you direct us to where we might find some success finding the creature?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Zhym »

When the bell rings and the appointed time has arrived to raise spirits, as it were, and his friends are served, Beren smiles. "There, now! Doesn't that taste all the better for having waited for it?" He smiles indulgently at the bar maid. Beren is used to women—and more than a few men—stealing blushing glances at him. "Moderation! Temperance! They're the next best things to abstinence!"

When Radloc introduces himself, Beren offers a manly nod, as men do. "Indeed!" he booms. "We seek to avenge good Mert and rid this town of the owlbear menace!" he declares.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Fluxus orders a flagon of wine. Eat, drink, and be merry, etc. [Deduction?]

"Will you be joining us, Mr. Hudson?" he asks. "A clearly capable fellow such as yourself. Surely you've hunted an owlbear or two in your time."

He makes a mental note to drop in on Master Muirron before they leave to inform him of their quest and to see if he has any use for owlbear parts in his research. Or knowledge of Radloc Hudson.
Failure is always an option.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by connivingsumo »

The Monk - having left the tavern quite some time ago - is wondering the town, hoping to find what he set out for.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by badams30 »

Radloc pulls up a chair and joins you. He smiles, thanking you for the offer of a drink. "Thanks, but I've got a tab here. I'll take care of you boys tonight, no worries." He whispers something to the barmaid with a sweeping gesture at your group, she smiles and says "Of course, Mr. Hudson." Soon your tankards are overflowing, and the food is more ample than before...

Once you've had a chance to take a couple swigs or bites of food, Radloc clears his throat, and using the end of his pipe as a pointer for emphasis, he says "Mert was on a small caravan bound for Westkeep carrying mostly foodstuffs. Due to what it was carrying, the guard detail on it was light - capable men, but not men of experience. They were about halfway through the Darkwood, and the thing surprised them at a sharp curve in the trail. Apparently it dropped a dead pine across the road, and when they stopped to move it, the damn thing lit on em' all. They were lucky Mert was the only one killed, 'cause that thing tossed em' all like rag dolls. Mert managed to stick that thing really good in the leg, and after it crushed poor Mert, it fled back into the woods, dragging one of the horses with it. The men were so scared they loaded Mert up and beat a retreat back here."

Radloc scowls and says "Mert was a good man, and I want to avenge him. But I also need to keep that route clear of things that could endanger my caravans... It's bad for business, you know. That's what brings me to you fellers - I am a bit short handed, a bunch of my boys are off assisting the militia, and I've got 3 caravans on the way to Threshold, plus I need to get some supplies to the priests at Westkeep next week, so I've got to be sure the way will be clear by then. So that's where you come in. I can spare 3 of my men to accompany you, and some horses and a wagon if you need it. I'll give you 500 coins if you bring me back that owlbear, and I'll owe you a debt of gratitude. So... what do you say?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by spanningtree »

Gunter

As soon as he hears "I'll take care of you boys tonight" Gunter orders another ale w/ a side car of something not unlike vodka.

I can't speak for everyone, I am in on that offer. He will put some emphasis in by rapping the head of his flail against the underside of the table. Can't have danders like owlbears crapping in your forest... messing with Mert's, et'cetera... Gunter goes back to his ale.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zhym »

"Yes! We will do it! We shall teach that rapscallion bugbear some manners!" says Beren, raising his mug in the air.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by greyarea »

Tyururist orders a keg and gets to work.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Bloodaxe »

spanningtree wrote:Gunter

As soon as he hears "I'll take care of you boys tonight" Gunter orders another ale w/ a side car of something not unlike vodka.

I can't speak for everyone, I am in on that offer. He will put some emphasis in by rapping the head of his flail against the underside of the table. Can't have danders like owlbears crapping in your forest... messing with Mert's, et'cetera... Gunter goes back to his ale.

Jared the peasant archer

Jared's ears perk up at the offer of free drinks and raises his mug in thanks.

Thank ' ya ser. Cheers!

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#90 Post by tumblingdice »

Nuruk Nosebreaker - half-orc fighter

Five hundred gold! You got yourself a deal, old man! Nuruk enthuses, blind to his ageism. He puts down whatever drink he's nursing to sample the half-elf's new keg. Watch what you're doing, elf! he says, jostling to get in front of the keg.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by greyarea »

Hey, get your own keg! I spent 30 gold of that man's money for this one, and I'm going to kick it myself, replies the half-elf.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Zhym »

"See?" says Beren to his ward Jared. "See what beer can do to people?"

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by tumblingdice »

Nuruk Nosebreaker - half-orc fighter

Nuruk waves dismissively at Tyururist, then summons the barmaid. Bring me something strong. Somethin' that'll peel the paint off the walls, he orders.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#94 Post by Gelatinous Q »

"Mostly foodstuffs, you say," Fluxus says coolly, inspecting his fingernails. "Anything else in that shipment we should know about?"

He regards his new comrades with a certain imperious amusement. "I remember when I had my first drink," he sighs. He takes a modest sip of wine.
Last edited by Gelatinous Q on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is always an option.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by Bloodaxe »

Zhym wrote:"See?" says Beren to his ward Jared. "See what beer can do to people?"
Jared the peasant archer

Jared nods to Beren, and sips his drink slowly.....

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by badams30 »

[quote="Gelatinous Q"]"Mostly foodstuffs, you say," Fluxus says coolly, inspecting his fingernails. "Anything else in that shipment we should know about?"

Radloc taps his pipe on the table and says "Just foodstuffs, grain, some brandy, and a couple locked crates from the temple. I guess the thing smelled the food or something. I reckon if Mert hadn't stuck him he would have gotten what he wanted and left."

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#97 Post by Bloodaxe »

Jared the peasant archer

But a pine across the road. Me en' my Da' use to hunt bears en' such and we never had one put a tree across the road. Thats an ambush. Thats what that is. Right strange 'en all.......

Jared looks a bit confused. The thought of a bear or other woodland creature, hunting the hunters is very disturbing to him......

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by spanningtree »

Gunter

Good point Jared... I didn't think owlbears were that cunning. But what do I know...

Return to “The Forbidden Caverns of Archaia (LL AEC)”