CHAPTER 7: The Great Mushroom Harvest

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER 7: The Great Mushroom Harvest

#41 Post by Norjax »

The Long Route, Day 69 – Early Evening

The tension eases as your two groups continue to engage in dialog and agree to a mutual dinner. A large campfire is struck just off the Long Route and several large rocks are used as seats.

The mysterious floating individual known as Tikol, communicates using squeaks and whistles and must have someone translate for him. Several of you notice a pseudopod reach out from under the layered cloaks to grab some food and drink.

The blue hulk, Tamah Nojaz, speaks in a deep, booming voice. “It is our intent to brave the Maelstrom of the Radiac Sea and hunt a Cylopean Whale once we board a ship in Nuv Vano. We seek our fortunes as members of a whaling crew.”

The second human in the group, Murv Northkin, is somewhat shy but joins conversation. “What may expect to find in this ‘Hagalton’?” he asks in a low voice.

The mutant monstrosity Zuma Babboi remains at a distance while you eat, volunteering for security watch. Hiona explains that the mutant emanates a chemical, causing uncontrollable horror and panic to those in proximity to her. She is keeping her distance out of courtesy.

“We don’t have much news from the west I’m afraid”, says Hiona. “We came up the east bank of the Orgama River after departing from the trawler we sailed on in the Exica Sea.”

Actions?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack thinkss for a moment on how to best answer the question about Hagalton "Plenty of opportunities to get work from some of the local shop keeps and not much if you're looking for ammo. However some might have things your looking for at a high price, some might give you advice on things they are seeking that they'd break you a good deal on if you get it for them. Den Lo-Chis was very informative you might consider seeking him out when you get there."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by greyarea »

Denslow asks, What is this 'whaling' that you speak of? I've not heard of it before. Does it involve the wailing of wind in the leaves during a good blow? Is a 'whaling crew' a musical act of sorts?

As Jack mentioned, we search for mushrooms. I'm not fond of the idea--fungus is no friend to my kind. Perhaps if we did this 'whaling' we might be able to gain income without fungal infections.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Norjax »

The Long Route, Day 69 – Early Evening

Murv nods at Jack, “Den Lo-Chis? Thank you, I will look him up.”

Tamah smirks at Denslow, “Whaling is the dangerous and highly skilled hunting of large marine animals. Our experience with spear fishing from trawlers in the Exica Sea has given us the confidence to attempt snagging a Cylopean Whale in the Radiac Sea of the Eastern Ocean. The merchants of Nuv Vano pay well for the spoils of a whale harvest.”

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by greyarea »

Denslow shudders and his leaves rustle. So no whaling for us then.

GreyWolfVT

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack "Yup Den Lo-Chris, the guy at the gun shop was helpful as well."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri does his best to make small talk during the meal, but seems a little shy. When the conversation turns to whaling this seems to catch his attention "This whaling does not sound like something for the faint-hearted, you are brave folks indeed. This is my first trip into the wider world, perhaps someday I shall see the ocean and these creatures you speak of"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zhym »

"I'm not sure I would enjoy being surrounded by water," offers Kurot.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Norjax »

“That’s the spirit!” bellows Tamah, as he slaps Silvestri across the back. “Whalers always have the need for a polecat, like you, to help spot whale sign from the top of a swaying mast!”

“I would submit your group is brave,” Hiona says to Silvestri. “We have heard of the twisted beasts coming out of the Gam’A Zone near the eastern shore of the Exica Sea.” She lowers her voice and gestures towards Zuma. “They are more shocking than our friend Zuma here.”

GreyWolfVT

#50 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack "You never met our old friend Jiminy a gelatinous creature with many mouths. Good guy you might see him on your travels."

Mimdalf
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Mimdalf »

Blixx

"Also, the pigmen have been very active as of late."Blixx adds.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" WW

Namárië

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Urson »

Belial

The baboon is his normal, chatty goofball self. The Radiac Sea? Never heard of it- is it bigger than The Mrs. Hip? Big, muddy river, all kinda awesome junk floatin' downstream....
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri smiles at Tamah and replies If I get bored of the Gam'A zone, perhaps I will head towards the sea.

At the mention of the Pigmon, his light mood seems to fade I guess I shouldn't be wishing for danger, but I have a score to settle with the Pigmon.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Norjax »

The Long Route, Day 69-76

Tamah laughs at Belial’s comment. “Yes, Master Baboon, the Radiac Sea is larger than that muddy trickle up north!”

“Thanks for the warning about the pigmonn,” Murv adds.“I think we are far enough east to avoid their roving bands.”

Additional pleasantries are exchanged before both groups move to their respective camps and retire for the night. In the morning, farewells are exchanged and you continue west towards the entrance to the Gam’A Zone. Hiona Plateface and her band travel to meet their fate in Nuv Vano.

---

You travel for 3 days on the Long Route before turning south into the Gam’A Zone. You cross the barrier in the day, now that you know its rays are harmless (at least in this area). It takes you 3 ½ days of uneventful travel inside the Gam’A Zone before you reach the edge of the fungal canyon.

Canyon:

The cliffs of the canyon’s perimeter drop 150 feet, before they reach an incline that continues down to the edge of a dry river bed. The river bed is 300 feet below the ledge you currently stand along. There are two mushroom groves (“MR”) starting a mile and a half from your location (above “A”). Several cave entrances are along the cliff faces and at the head of deep gullies (“A” through “J”).

There aren’t any visible paths leading down into the canyon, but there are several areas where the cliff face has crumbled. These crumbled areas may offer a means of descent into the gorge.

Actions?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by greyarea »

Denslow says,I take it since some of you were so excited to make this trip that you know how to descend, right? Otherwise, why don't we see what's in these caves? Guano can be quite profitable too.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri pipes up, I have some rope, but not enough to reach all the way down, perhaps one of these crumbled areas will help, although they might be unstable. I don't mean to be rude Denslow, but we might have to lower you down, unless you think you can grip a rope well enough?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Urson »

Belial

Woah! Awesome view!

If you dudes decide to climb down that gnarly rockfall, I'll fly overhead and like- catch you if you fall.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

GreyWolfVT

#58 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack "If we have enough rope still we might be able to fashion a rope ladder or just a long enough rope to climb down otherwise we'll have to find a way to get down there by other means."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by Mister-Kent »

"What a nice gang of folks," Frekken sighs cheerily, thinking back on Hiona's crew.

Returning his thoughts to the present, the frogmonn begins to plan the canyon descent. "I have some fifty-feet o' rope to contribute to the cause, as well as a nice sturdy grappling hook to get us started!"
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by greyarea »

Denslow says, I have 50' of rope to contribute too, and I can climb down ropes Silvestri, no worries there. If only we had a sturdy tree to tie the rope to... he concludes, amusing himself.

Return to “Archive”