12 - Fight in the Forest

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 12 - Fight in the Forest

#181 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble doesn't care how the treasure is split he would have to donate whatever he doesn't need/use for equipment and all that anyways. He'll seek out more help in figuring out the secrets of his staff otherwise he is all set save for getting rid of items he doesn't need or use and wanting to hold a funeral service to Forest.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Inferno »

Here are the 1e prices for the magic items:

Wand of Conjuring: 35k gp
Wand of Paralysis: 25k gp
+1 Dagger: 750 gp?
Ring of Protection +2/+1: 15k gp?
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by Darkmane »

@inferno - between 1st ed and 2nd ed things changed dramatically. I guess in order to make magic more "magical".

So in 2nd ed Its really hard and or impossible to find most magic items for sale. You can get basic potions, and scrolls, and You may be able to find a wizard to make a magic item for you, but only because you are in water deep. There is also the trading post at the mages guild but that isn't predictable in what you can get. Tella did roll awesome so she might find something special up there this time.

I'd turn it around, maybe folks bid in what they think those items are worth to their character? As a start I would multiply your 1e prices by about 5-10x and that would fit better for 2e. But again, since you can't just go buy them, its hard to exactly put a price on them.

GreyWolfVT

#184 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I forget if Glimble took his staff to the mages guild in waterdeep I know he took it to the Church of Gond
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by DadsAngry »

Enoka already has a ring of protection so the one we found can go to Garl.
With the loot we got Enoka is going to see if she can have her scimitar enchanted or purchase one.
Would be also nice if her scimitar can be adapted to distribute paralyzing poison like the kind found in a spider's bite.
She gets a +4 to those kinds of poison onto of her Save of 7.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by Darkmane »

When you guts level don't forget non weapon and weapon proficiency slots. You guys could use those to round out your characters. If enoka has herbalism, she might be able to produce a sticky poison to slather her blade with before combat. You could also look into darts or arrows, although I can't remember if druids can use those.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#187 Post by ylinett »

Can't level without xp total. My leveling is very complex.

GreyWolfVT

#188 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Darkmane wrote:When you guts level don't forget non weapon and weapon proficiency slots. You guys could use those to round out your characters. If enoka has herbalism, she might be able to produce a sticky poison to slather her blade with before combat. You could also look into darts or arrows, although I can't remember if druids can use those.
I did make sure to add a NWP and WP when I earned them level wise. I also remembered Saving throw changes when needed and THAC0 plus HP. ;)

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#189 Post by DadsAngry »

Darkmane wrote:When you guts level don't forget non weapon and weapon proficiency slots. You guys could use those to round out your characters. If enoka has herbalism, she might be able to produce a sticky poison to slather her blade with before combat. You could also look into darts or arrows, although I can't remember if druids can use those.
She does have herbalism and can use darts. Looks like Enoka is going to have a little extra bite come next combat. In her down time she will harvest poison to use on her weapons. This may take a while. ;)

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#190 Post by Darkmane »

Cool picture Dads!! Are you thinking of a very dangerous and possibly lethal spider venom, or more of a paralytic kind of thing? Keep in mind, just having that kind of thing in Waterdeep may get you locked up ;)

@ylinnet - if you were Fighter/Thief -( 5/5 ) you can level up to a Fighter/Thief -- ( 6/6 ) -- I've been giving out exp for gold, which would net you guys enough experience in some cases to level twice, but I use the rule that you can't level more than once from a single adventure -- so 6/6 and 32001exp in Fighter and then 20,001 in Thief

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Inferno »

Inferno wrote:Here are the 1e prices for the magic items:

Wand of Conjuring: 35k gp
Wand of Paralysis: 25k gp
+1 Dagger: 750 gp?
Ring of Protection +2/+1: 15k gp?
Darkmane wrote: I would multiply your 1e prices by about 5-10x and that would fit better for 2e.
Thanks.
Ok, so assuming a multiplier of 7.5, we have 568,125 gp worth of magic items, and 1 million in gold and gems. DM, is that last part correct?

If so, we have 1,568,125gp in value. Divided by six means each PC gets the equivalent of 261,354gp in treasure.

Here are some options:

Character A gets the Wand of Conjuring (worth 262k gp) and no gold. In fact he/she needs to pay 646gp into the pot
Character B gets the Wand of Paralysis (worth 187k gp) and 74,354gp
Character C gets the +1 Dagger (worth 5,625gp) and 255,729gp
Character D gets the +2/+1 Ring of Protection (worth 112,500gp) and 148,854gp
Character E gets 261,354 gp
Character F gets 261,354 gp

If a magic item is unclaimed, it can be sold for cash.

Vek would like to be Character D.
His second choice is to be E or F and buy a ring of protection +2 and maybe something else.

Thoughts?
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#192 Post by GreyWolfVT »

fine by me I would rather be F on that list

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#193 Post by spanningtree »

Item prices are pretty much the same between 1e and 2e, not sure where this markup is coming from. We are talking TSR's Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1e and 2e, right? Tella will vie for A and cough up the money I guess.

@darmane: I posted a the die roll you requested, did anything come of that? Can Tella afford to have the wand checked out?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Darkmane »

@inferno - yep you could split it out that way. Getting full price for the gems so you end up at 1 million total will take around 1 year, so mostly for now you guys with have them in gem form. Unless you guys lay low in Water deep and practice skills, research, sell gems, etc...

@Tella, you rolled very well! You found a mage who will work up the wand, there are 9 charges left. Not only that but he will charge it back up for you as well for another 20k in gold or gems. He is looking for more gold for materials for his lab and would be happy to do it.

@Rosehesrt, would you want to do the same with the wand of paralysis?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by ravenn4544 »

Let's do the same for the paralysis wand. With the money left over, do we have a general price list of any available spells or magic for purchase? If i recall we maybe had available some healing potions we were able to buy?

For other options, how much would a local pub cost in waterdeep? "Magician's Mead" has a nice ring to it...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Inferno »

spanningtree wrote:Item prices are pretty much the same between 1e and 2e, not sure where this markup is coming from. We are talking TSR's Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1e and 2e, right?
Darkmane provided a multiplier of 5-10x, above. I split the difference and went with 7.5x.
Darkmane?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#197 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I guess I'll take Glimble's staff to the magic guild see if they can unravel anything more that the church could not.

[1d100] = 75

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#198 Post by DadsAngry »

More of a paralytic kind of thing and I'll keep my business to myself. What happens in Enoka's cave stays in Enoka's cave.
If no one wants to claim the dagger Enoka will use it. She will fill the sheath with her poison so the dagger becomes her spider bite.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Darkmane »

@ Roseheart - prices for healing potions:

Rhaeggef's Cleric Friend at the Church of Tempus (discounted pricing)
Healing Potions:
1d8 healing potions for 200p
2d4+2 healing potions for 300gp
3d8+3 healing potion for 1500gp

@Enoka - "what happens in Enoka's cave, stays in the cave" -- LOL!!!! Awesome!

@Vek/Tella
I'm not trying to specifically be difficult around magic item pricing. If you take a look at the AD&D 2e DM's guide, Chapter 10 - Treasure and Magic Items, then under Magic Items, then under Magic Items, you will find a section that clearly states that magic item stores do not exist. The result of a missing magic item economy is that magic items (at least in my 2e games) don't have a specific price.

If you guys tried to go buy a specific item, lets say a "wand of magic missiles" you wouldn't be able to find it. You may be able to have something like it made for you, but the spells to make magic items start at 20000gp for permanency and then goes up from there for exotic materials, additional spells, etc....

Given that you are in Waterdeep, there are some avenues for you to find magic items for sale - the Wizards Order, and then the various churches for religious items. However, it is really hard or impossible to find a specific item. Magic items are better obtained through adventure, not from a clerk ;)

When I came up with the 5-10x number, I was saying that is an approximate method to try and figure out what would be fair value for something without a specific value (i.e. potentially impossible to find again magic items...).

You could drop those prices down a bit so everybody ends up getting some gold, but those that ended up with really awesome items are getting much less of the raw gold - this is really about you guys finding a fair price for you team to all feel like nobody got cheated:

Wand of Conjuration - highly useful - allows for many different spell effects, and is rechargeable ($150-200K)
Wand of Paralyzation - only a single, but extremely powerful!, effect - maybe ($100-150k)
Magic Silver Dagger - nobody is really interested in this one, so its "value" to your party members is maybe only $1-5K
+2/+1 ring - again, this is pretty powerful, giving a bonus to AC and all saves - could benefit nearly any member of the party ($100-150K?)

Or you guys could do a bidding game out of this, and bid what you think it is worth to your character? That may be a more fair way... even fighters could bid on the wands if they think they could trade it to a Waterdavian mage -- trading to try and get a sword or armor?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#200 Post by spanningtree »

@Enoka: You should put that quote in your signature. :lol:

@Darkmane: Got it. Works for me. Tella gained both a WP and NWP. Adding dagger and bumped spellcraft by 1. Picking up a 2d4+2 healing potion, 30pp deducted. Tella will note the person that can recharge the wand and potentially return later.

@all: Tella would still like to go for Inferno's A option of that's how we cast the distribution. She'll toss extra coins in if needed. She's also happy to represent anyone in need to the Waterdeep mages guild for any needs there.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”