Chapter 13: Hell Mouth of the Dark Mother

Inferno
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 13: Hell Mouth of the Dark Mother

#361 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser, a wicked smile on his face as he winks at Hoom, let's split this later - and pockets the diamond for future examination. He'll poke through the small chest for any hidden compartments, just to be sure.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Inferno »

DM:

As Hoom looks on, Mouser's eager fingers probe the inner lining of the iron lockbox. They discover a false wall.
Behind it is folded a sheet of parchment.
Mouser opens it and cannot comprehend the writing.

Hoom can read the Elvish alphabet. Moreover, he recognizes the handwriting.

The letter reads:

• Dearest Hoom,

As you now no doubt know, we've entrusted this family heirloom to an old friend for safekeeping against the recent troubles.

Now it belongs to you.

Its clarity is unique. May it inspire within you insight and vision, as it has us.

Your loving parents

Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by drpete »

Pip will come back and tell everyone about the rope down.

Concerned about tricks, he attempts to disbelieve this awe-inspiring hoard. He doesnt request any of the magic items.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Zhym »

"You have many changing requests and no answers," Grothnak tells the mirror, eyes still closed. "I cannot trust you, and I cannot risk our mission. I am sorry." He lays the mirror face-down again before opening his eyes.

He turns toward the treasure orgy. "Art mabas lufut!"* he growls. "You look like swines at the trough! We have souls to save! We need to move on. Quickly. And Hoom and Mouser—stop stuffing gems down your throats, or we'll have to cut you open when it's time to divide the spoils."

He picks up the iron halberd, however, and considers it, assessing whether it would be a better weapon than his own. Vadok has brought him through many battles and felled uncounted foes—but this is no time to be sentimental about a weapon.
* "Gold after war."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser reluctantly retrieves the diamond and hands it to Hoom. His whole I-don't-see-your-name-on-it argument he was planning is now for naught...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will enter the vault and pick up the shield with the tree engraving.

Do we follow Bo's suggestion of using an illusion to cover our hidden presence here or do we press on?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#367 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

"I say we press on, but remember this room in case we need to come back here."

His suspicions about Hoom lessen somewhat after seeing his family heirloom, but he continues to watch him anyway.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Realizing there is no one better suited to use the arrows, Telkis will also snag them from the pile. ”Whoever’s running this place is going to get a face full of these,” he says as he straps them on.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#369 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric will also take the scroll of clerical spells, as she is the only one capable of using it. Let us not forget this other healing potion. Does one of the fighter types wish to carry it, as you will be most likely to require its use, or would you prefer I keep it so that I may distribute it where needed?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by AleBelly »

"I will take it for safe-keeping. I do not trust anything else down here" replies Pelias as he grabs the potion of extra-healing.

As he watches Hoom and Mouser stuff their pockets, he says forcefully "We will return these to their rightful owners - or their kin. Else we are no better than common brigands."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom puts the diamond back into the box and hand is to Mouser. "Grey I ask for you to please hold this for me in your pack as I don't have anywhere to place it. This time, please don't leave it behind like my other belongings."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Inferno »

Within the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Sundown. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

Beneath the bizarre fungal shapes of the cavern's unnatural formations, the heroes grimly divide the riches of the damned.

Not trusting this hellish netherworld, Pip of Hochoch refuses to believe the hoard is real. It persists despite his doubt.

Grothnak abandons the sundered voice of the mirror. She sobs, broken and forlorn.

Ready to continue their harrowing ordeal, the heroes replace the muddy canvas and the heinous diptych. Pelias regrips the bound, unconscious cultist whose soul he labors to save. (C5)

Then they advance down the westward tunnel.

The palpable sense of dread and nausea abates, except for Mouser who still bears the evil tome bound in human flesh.

At the tunnel's end, the failing light of day, somewhere high above them, illuminates a thick, knotted rope that trails down into the darkness of the abyss.

Actions?!

Cutaway View:

West is left. East is right.
PCs are near the red "X." The oozing horror is at "O." A dead cultist is at "C."

Map:

One square = 10 feet. Z = the undead. C5 = Pelias' unconscious, bound captive.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 19/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 17/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by wolfpack »

looking at mouser Brevos says.

why do you still carry that monstrosity pointing a the book

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser debates on what to do. After an internal struggle his conscience edges out his curiosity and he returns the book to the treasure room and puts Hoom's small chest into his pack. He grabs a few more gems and jewels while he's at it and stuffs those in his pack as well...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#375 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before the mass climb down of the rope begins, Bo takes the time to make the room look as it did when the group first entered. He drags the dead bodies into the secret treasure room before it is closed up tight.

With his eyes closed, he also lifts up and rights the mirror again, once everyone has moved into the chamber and can no longer accidentally look into it, that is. He whispers while he works.

"I will look upon you on our way back through this room. But only if you do not speak of our being in here to anyone."

Once the grisly task is completed, he awaits his turn on the ropes, ready to climb down and leave this room behind.

"Please be wary on the ropes, gang! We must keep alert on our descent and try to find our aggressors before they find us."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by ChubbyPixie »

As the group hesitates at the top of the rope, Telkis thinks a bit on the elven arrows he picked up in the "treasure" room. He's never seen arrows so fine before - they must be incredibly balanced. He's saddened by the thought of where they must have come from - one of the elves from the abandoned house in town if he doesn't miss his guess. But who knows, really? He just wants to get this over with, and hopes that he can go some way towards avenging the victims of this place by putting the arrows to good use. He broods for a moment, then says, "I'd give just about anything for a nice chat with a vole about now."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by drpete »

Pip will stop Mouser from returning the book "We can't leave it to them. We should burn the book as soon as we find a proper fire..." He'll hold the book, without opening it, if Mouser doesn't want to carry it.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#378 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom thanks Grey and gets in line to descend on the rope.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#379 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur sees the others in the group hefting new weapons and shields. It occurs to him that this is no time to be squeamish. He is out of spells, and there is doubtless danger ahead. Any resource should be used.

The gnome takes the bracers out of his pack and puts them on his wrists. He hopes like heck they aren't cursed.

If he doesn't die or turn into a cockroach or anything, he follows the others down the rope.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser waves away Pip. "If we are taking the book with us, I might as well carry it" He puts in back in his pack.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”