Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

#161 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala nods and whispers."Excellent." Then, a bit louder for Chauncey's benefit, "Most excellent. A clear boundary between the Phanaton's trees and trees we can harvest without conflict from them. This could be a big leap forward for the town."

He holds the breadfruit up to his face and tests its aroma. He asks Owen, "Pleased to meet you, Owen. I am Avaala, as you heard me tell their leader. Any idea how best to cook these?"
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
OGRE MAGE wrote:...Each of you is handed a cantaloupe sized piece of the weird green bumpy-skinned globes of the breadfruit by a nearby phanaton..
Wait... these don't look like the gourds that the Vegemite Monsters jumped out of do they?

Eyes the fruit curiously and sits down before taking it so he is more "on their level" and smiles. He sniffs the fruit and looks it over smiling at the Phanaton that gave it to him. "Thank you." he grins. Then looking at the fruit he remembers the first time he nearly died here and rubs his shoulder where the vegemite bit him. He pulls his armor and shirt aside and points to the scar for the Fuzzy ones to see then pantomimes what he hopes will express clear enough what it was that did it and then makes a show of scratching his head and looking puzzled before shrugging and pointing to the Monkoon, then puts two fingers to his mouth like the chief had, hoping this all translates over clear enough that he is asking about the little plant monsters.

He looks up at Scaracen and shrugs.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther accepts the breadfruit, nodding and sniffing it with apparent happiness. Seeing others kneeling or sitting to be on the Phanaton's level, he sits, letting out a small grunt of pain as he does.

This is great! If we know what parts of the jungle to leave alone, I'm sure we can become good allies with the Phanaton.

He catches part of Monocar's activity. What are you doing, ya big galoot?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
Urson wrote:He catches part of Monocar's activity. What are you doing, ya big galoot?
Stops at one point and turns to look at Luthar. "I'm trying to ask them about the vegemite! Besides, I'm worried about Bert and Ernie. Hey, you are looking pale... Need some water? I think I have a sausage left..." He looks over at Scarecen and poke him. "Maybe you should ask Pholtus to heal him now. Might be good to show the Phantom Tones what you can do. Show our asses and prove our value as my brother would say..."

Meanwhile...
Cherub: "Well now, this is going surprisingly well!"

Imp: "............................"

Cherub: "What?"

Imp: Looks at the Cherub and then to Id. "He doesn't get it, does he?"

Id: "Nope."

Cherub: "Get what?"

Imp: "Called it!"

Cherub: "What?!"

Id: "AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!"

Imp: "And something due to go wrong in 3.... 2.... 1...."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen shakes his head sadly. ”I used all my magic to kill the troll, and then we came straight here. I cannot Heal the ranger until I have had a chance to rest myself and recover the light of Pholtus, lest it destroy me. Perhaps the new sun priest can oblige the ranger?”
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Bluehorse »

Storm11 wrote:Saracen shakes his head sadly. ”I used all my magic to kill the troll, and then we came straight here. I cannot Heal the ranger until I have had a chance to rest myself and recover the light of Pholtus, lest it destroy me. Perhaps the new sun priest can oblige the ranger?”
Looks confused. :? Turns back to the Phanatons and continues trying to communicate.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey bows graciously and accepts the fruit. He makes a show of being impressed with the size of it. He knows what they've really bought by killing the troll is good relations with these creatures. Pulling a piece of vellum and his quill and ink from his pack he scratches out "Chauncey" in flowing script, shows it to the surrounding monkoons, says his name out loud and points to himself. If one of them is interested he will offer them the pen to try it out. Before handing them the pen, he will quickly incant the Comprehend Languages spell and incidentally brush the hand (paw?) as he hands it over to know what they say...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Urson »

Luther

If it was one of those squash monsters, it would be chewing off your face by now. Don't worry, these people had plenty of chances to scrape Beachtown off the map by now- *cough* and they're still trying to make peace.

And don't worry, I'll be alright. I walked five miles through a blizzard with a broken arm, once.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#169 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Reaching An Accord
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
In The Village In The Sky
Mid Afternoon, Sunny, Humid, Buggy

Luther and Lightfinger play around with the little furry people a bit longer as the others try to make friends. Alordan shouts over to Owen about marking territories, curious what else the tree folk want to discuss. Saracen asks the dark-skinned handyman if he is allowed to leave now that they have fulfilled their task. He is.

Avaala also introduces himself to Owen, inquiring about the green globe he was given. “You roast them, over an open fire. Otherwise they are too tuff for us to chew. Though the phanatons can eat them as is.”

Monocar makes an attempt at communication, further confusing the little creatures with hand signals and babbling about showing off his ass. Brother Gilbert stays quiet, wondering if praying for the injured Luther might aid his current weakened state without upsetting their hosts.

Chauncey braves casting a spell on one of the tiny treemen. He pulls out a quill and ink, slowly scribing down his name in a calligraphy style script. When he finishes and shows it to them, they seem rather impressed. One of them tries to take the parchment from his hand, allowing the mage to touch his furry arm in the process. As soon as the touch is made, the wizard suddenly understands what that creature is saying. He takes the paper with glee, showing it off to all of the others on his platform.

“See! They are trying to show us something! They don’t want to kill us!

It stares at the page for a few moments before continuing.

“What do you think these wavy lines and circles mean?”

Owen motions for everyone to gather together on the same central platform. The dangers of the 120 foot fall to the jungle floor is not lost on the heavier members of the party as they cross the creaking thin vine ropes. Once everyone is gathered, Owen speaks to the entire group.

“The phanaton chieftain has told me of a tribe of native people who live to the east of Beachtown, over near the river, I think. He says these people are generally good, and care much for the land, but some of them hunt the phanaton for their meat. He has asked me if you would be willing to take on one more task for them. They want someone to travel to their villages to see if you can convince the native people to stop killing the phanaton. Does that sound like something any of you would be interested in doing for them?”

Actions?

Luther R2 2/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/2 first
Saracen 12/12 0/3 first
Avaala 3/5 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first
Rollo 14/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10
Brother Gilbert 8/8 3/3 first

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen nods politely. ”It is possible, in a few days time perhaps, when we have had time to recover from the battle. Depending how far into the jungle they dwell and the dangers between here and there. Can you speak with the Phanaton without the aid of magic Owen? Perhaps it might be safer and wiser not to overstay our welcome, and discuss this on firm ground below? Back to the town perhaps?”

The great orange half-orc will bow to the tree folk and make his way to a platform and climb on, hopefully indicating he wishes to depart.
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger is aghast.

For what? He questions, Another breadfruit? Hey, I like these little guys, but this isn't the kind of work I came here for. He glances at his fruity reward and rolls his eyes.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan appreciates what the Monkoon's are asking through Owen. "That makes sense to help in this way. I agree with my friend here that it would be in a few days, to be honest, so the hurt can be healed. It is indeed a difficult land for the wounded and unwary. Can they also speak to what lies to the north and west of us? What else can they tell us of this island?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#173 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"As Saracen says," says Avaala, nodding. "As soon as I am healed, I am more than willing to aid the Phanaton. If, as they say, the native people are basically good, it might only be a manner of convincing them that the Phanaton are intelligent, and not just animals."

The mage looks ground-ward, at a Rollo much smaller than he is used to seeing. "And tell them the big dog will help, too."
"There is no spoon."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

He stands perfectly still while the strange creature "pets" his tonsure. He accepts his breadfruit with grace, and gives a slight bow in thanks.

Turning his head slightly and smiling, he addresses the creature on his shoulder, Greetings, good creature. My thanks for the breadfruit. May you live well.

He will try to help the wounded members of the group once we are all back on the ground.
SpinwardMarch

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Looks at the others. "I'm all for making conmections with another village. Maybe we can start a nice three way alliance. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring along a couple of the Phanstons as representatives? Let them see these are civiliazed people." looks to see if they think this is a good idea. "maybe take an equal amount of Treefolk so we present purselves as equals."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Urson »

Luther

Certainly. Glad to try an' play diplomat for a change.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey wonders to himself if the members of this new village the monsoons mentioned might have any magical knowledge for trade, or know the locations of any hidden temple repositories of such. There's only one way to find out, he reasons. "Yes. Let us seek out this village - further alliance can only strengthen our position here on the island. Our assistance to the Phanoton need not be purely altruistic."

Through hand signals, he invites the young monkoon to keep the vellum with the writing on it. While his comprehension spell is in effect, he will see, on Avalaa's suggestion, if he can successfully pick out any simple words in their chittering language.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#178 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Reaching An Accord
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
In The Village In The Sky
Late Afternoon, Sunny, Humid, Buggy

After a bit more of the bizarre tree-top meet and greet, trying to smooth over the previous negativity that these creatures have faced from the early settlers, the group decides it best to not overstay their welcome.

Owen continues his recruitment attempt.

"The natives should be easy to find, and I don't think it will be too dangerous to seek them out. "I have heard from the water gatherers that the natives have shown themselves to us, but have not yet initiated first contact. This could be a good way to show them that we mean them no harm as well."

"I cannot communicate with the Phanaton unless the chief uses his magic sphere, but I believe that you are all correct in thinking that a mutually beneficial relationship with these creatures would be a wise decision."

"I have already been shown where their clans dwell in the nearby jungle, so I can point those areas out for you once we are back in town."

Monocar gets no reaction when suggesting that some of the treefolk accompany them, and Chauncey finds his translation of the screeching and chattering difficult at best. Perhaps with a bit more time, and under more settled conditions, the mage could learn a few simple words or phrases.

The chief bows to his new friends as the others continue to jump around excitedly, possibly showing their way of saying thanks or good bye.

Once everyone, well almost everyone, agrees to seek out the natives, the group returns to the ground in pairs again. Once below, Brother Gilbert looks over the severe injuries of the ranger. Overhearing the others say that their healing has already been spent for the day, he ponders helping his new friends out with some magic of his own, further solidifying his role in the group.
Just speak up if you need help with figuring out how the dice roller works, SM. If I don't get back to you right away, I'm sure one of the other nice folks around here would be happy to help out if you need it.
On the short walk back into the town proper, some of the group remembers that their friends Wes, Ferris, and a few others traveled towards the river several days ago.

Actions?

Go ahead and do whatever you need to do back in town. If someone wants to take charge in organizing this mission, go for it! :)

Luther R2 2/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/2 first
Saracen 12/12 0/3 first
Avaala 3/5 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first
Rollo 14/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10
Brother Gilbert 8/8 3/3 first

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Storm11 »

Once back in town Saracen will head to the head honchos place to inform him of the recent events, both with the Phanaton and the troll.

After that he will head to the fire to cook his payment, and troff it down heartily.

That done he will refill his waterskin and ask around town if anyone has heard from the other party who headed into the jungle days ago, and then tend to his gear in his shared hut before bed.

now we are back at base donwe get the goodies (xp) :lol:
Greys Campaign.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey will proceed to the fire with Saracen to see about the cooking of his weird fruit, cooking not being his particular forte. ”I am impressed with your Sun Ray invocation, Saracen. You have made good use of the glass lens.”

Return to “Completed Missions”