Ch. 3: Hell's Bells

Zhym
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 3: Hell's Bells

#21 Post by Zhym »

The vulture-beast with multiple images remaining is behind Tanner. Does he turn his back on the one he's attacking to throw the dust?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran views the troubles all around. They need to destroy the demons raging against them. Deciding quickly, he prays that Risdac can manage another barrage while he attempts to free Khogeki from the onslaught of insects effectively taking his much needed prowess out of the fight.

With a prayer to Pholtus, he exclaims, "irritum magicae" while pointing to the insects surrounding Khogeki.

cast dispel magic

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Urson »

Zhym wrote: Does he turn his back on the one he's attacking to throw the dust?
Missed that. I thought the two were on separate ledges. No, he'll use the Dust on the one he's attacked already.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

Xale

Tries throwing his hammer again at the same frog.

Hurl Dwarven Thrower [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4 damage [2d4+11] = 3+11 = 14/[2d4+10] = 4+10 = 14

(natural 1, not going well. The extra +1 was from specialization, didn't realize it only counted for melee)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Zhym »

Urson wrote:Missed that. I thought the two were on separate ledges. No, he'll use the Dust on the one he's attacked already.
They were, but they fly. The one on the opposite ledge flew to the one Tanner is on. The one Tanner is facing doesn't have any extra images left, though, so there's nothing to reveal by throwing the dust at it.
Rex wrote:(natural 1, not going well. The extra +1 was from specialization, didn't realize it only counted for melee)
I'll let the hammer specialization work for both melee and throwing. It didn't make a difference, though.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by AleBelly »

Hallagad fails to free himself from the frog-thing's grasp.

STR check [1d20] = 12
Last edited by AleBelly on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov, Spider Thief

Rool continues moving towards the ledge with Xale and Odilo, scurrying up the wall at an angle to reach the ceiling and continuing from there.

Doesn’t Rool gain the Huge Spider’s 18” movement?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

He does, but the path isn't clear. If you'd prefer, we can say he tried to run past the frog monster that was directly in front of him, but the frog monster will get an extra set of attacks at +4.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#29 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

The giant remains unable to do anything more than retch.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Norjax »

Zhym wrote:He does, but the path isn't clear. If you'd prefer, we can say he tried to run past the frog monster that was directly in front of him, but the frog monster will get an extra set of attacks at +4.
OK. He still tries for the ledge.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

Okay. I'll resolve that part of the last round:

Rool tries running past the reptilian man-monster. The giant toad can't resist going after the giant fly, and it pounces. It lands on the spider' back, grabs him with two claws, and squeezes, tearing at Rool's legs and biting down on his back. Spidery good gushes from the wound (-24 HP).

Rool is held and can't attack. He can break free by rolling half his strength on a d20.

As some consolation, the toad thing jumped far enough away from Risdac (over 10') that its stink no longer overwhelms him (Risdac can now act in round 3; the toad-thing stench effect affects anyone within 10').

Updated status:
----
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 53/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 49/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 25/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 35/75; Risdac (Giant NG MU17): 16/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 88/107; Rool (H LN T20): 9/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 27/93
Effects: Levitate (Odilo): 7.7 turns;
Light Sources: Continual light coin (Tanner); Continual light dagger (Odilo)

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov

STR check: [1d20] = 13

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

I'll wait at least another day for an action for Risdac and for an updated action for Tanner based on the dust not having any effect on the vulture-man in front of him.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Urson »

Tanner

Tanner curses, drops the empty Dust tube, and slashes at the single vulture in front of him. Hopefully, this buys him a second's breathing space to deal with Vulture 2

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zhym »

FYI - Tanner hasn't used the dust.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#36 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

Finally able to breathe without becoming violently ill, Risdac manages to pull himself together long enough to cast a spell.

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Urson »

Then consider that last post as Tanner's statement of intent.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Combat Round 3

On the vulture ledge:
The vulture-men—if you can call the humanoid-ish parts of these things "men"—gang up on Tanner. They bite and claw at him with four sharp-taloned claws each in a ranging, violent frenzy. The one in front of him manages a mere scratch (-3 HP), but the other one takes savage advantage of its position behind him, tearing into him with three claws and a bite (-16 HP). He fights back with two slashes of his frost sword, opening a deep gash in the chest of the thing in front of him.

In the corridor below:
Malibran views the troubles all around and quickly decides that Khogeki is needed in the fight. The cleric begins a prayer to Pholtus that would dispel the magically-summoned insects surrounding the monk. The Unseen Servant, who is now Unseen mostly because of the cloud of bugs surrounding him, continues to scratch and swat (-2 HP). The snake monster bites and claws at him through the cloud of bugs, but even beset by the swarm, the monk is too fast.

Meanwhile, Risdac is finally able to breathe without becoming violently ill, thanks to the toad-thing chasing after Rool. Risdac manages to pull himself together long enough to cast a summoning spell (dice roll). He wants to bring a monster forth to fight for him. But wherever this ship is, it is much closer to the lower planes than it is to anywhere with a hydra or a troll. What appears in response to his summons is a seven-foot tall gargoylish thing with tightly coiled muscles, long, pointed claws, and great leathery wings.

It is not happy to have been summoned here.

"Youuuu daaare summmmon meeee? I havvvveee eaaaaten mannnny off yourrrrr"— it hisses...up...at Risdac before realizing it is threatening something at least twice as big as it is. And at least twice as ugly. "...kind. Erm. You will die?" it finishes lamely. It flies up at the mage, managing to scratch him with the claws of one hand (-4 HP). His other claws and his teeth grind against Risdac's tough skin.

Malibran completes his prayer. The cloud of insects vanishes. (The Unseen Servant can attack next round).

Further back:
Hallagad and Rool struggle against the extreme inappropriate hugging of the toadman monsters, who continue to squeeze and bite (Hallagad: -14 HP; Rool: -11 HP). Neither is able to break free. Xale hurls his hammer again, but it slips from his hand and hits Hallagad instead! (-8 HP) clatters against the wall behind him, preventing him from any further attacks this round.

Odilo floats to the ground and cancels his levitation spell. He fires a pale pink ray at the toadman monster from his staff (-1 charge). It seems to have no effect.

• End-of-round summary:
  • Odilo: On the ledge at the aft part of the room
  • Xale: On the ledge at the aft part of the room
  • Hallagad: Held in the grasp of the frog thing, near where the waterfall used to be. Cannot attack. -2 to attack/init. Near death.
  • Khogeki, the Unseen Servant: On the ground in front of the serpent. Can now attack.
  • Risdac: On the floor of the central corridor, fighting the gargoylish demon.
  • Malibran: On the floor of the central corridor, next to Risdac.
  • Rool: In the central room about 30' aft of the central corner, in spider form, being attacked by one of the frog things. -2 to attack/init. Cannot attack.
  • Tanner: On the port ledge fighting two vulture things.

Notes:
I rolled Tanner's attacks. Note that his attack rate is 2/round. I had also missed that his frost sword acts as a ring of fire resistance, so he should have taken 6 damage instead of 13 in Round 1. I've corrected that. I've also added damage from a second attack he should have gotten last round.
----
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 53/90; Khogeki (H LN M16): 47/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 25/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 35/75; Risdac (Giant NG MU17): 12/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 76/107; Rool (H LN T20): 22/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 13/93
Effects: Levitate (Odilo): canceled;
Light Sources: Continual light coin (Tanner); Continual light dagger (Odilo)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo frustrated that his spells are having seemingly no effect sighs with frustration but wastes little time in working another spell Confusion on the frog like creature, the mage moves close enough to be in range to cast his spell so long as he does not need to get off the ledge.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by ravenn4544 »

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”