Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

AleBelly
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

#241 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion attempts another skewer, but is obviously distracted by the sickening thud of Chet's falling body.
Trident [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 6+6 = 12; crit [1d100] = 21; init [1d6] = 1
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Zhym »

Injured and angry, Angus spares no more witty banter for his enemy.

Initiative: [1d6] = 2
Leddilir v. evil humanoid (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 16 [1d8+6] = 1+6 = 7/[1d12+6] = 1+6 = 7 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 8

I used the wrong macro. That should be 3 damage, not 7.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by tkrexx »

CHEEEEET!!! Hyde roars silently, and throws himself and all his fury at the creature responsible for harming his Good Pal.

Init: [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

To hit: [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12

Dmg: [1d8+6] = 2+6 = 8

Crit: [1d100] = 47

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by AleBelly »

Yenny's eyes crackle with rage. In one swift motion, she draws her flail and, with a flick of her forearm, propels the metal ball up towards Chet's slayer. It starts to grin as it evades her strike, but the blessing of Veles guides it back on course. Yenny feels the satisfactory recoil as the ball cracks bone...though without the accompanying sound. The creature falls to the ground, dead, the third so slain.

The Bless spell made the difference here!

In the corner of the room, the remaining foe fights on with remarkable tenacity. Acting before the others, it rakes Angus and Dandelion with razor-sharp claws.

target Galan 1 Dandelion 2 Angus 3 [1d3] = 2

target Galan 1 Dandelion 2 Angus 3 [1d3] = 3

Creature attacks Dandelion [1d20] = 13, [1d100] = 90, [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

Dandelion -5 hp!

Creature attacks Angus [1d20] = 20, [1d100] = 77, [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Angus -4 hp!

The ranger, now badly injured and quite cross, deals a fatal slash to his foe. Its dying screams are heard by Galan, Angus, and Dandelion.

Given how initiatives went, I moved this along as the outcome couldn't possibly have changed with Figgis' and Kablamicus' actions.

4 enemy corpses lie about, as well as that of Chet and the tortured human seen upon entry. The four creatures have coin purses on their belts. Wooden crates are stacked about the room. The skulls look on silently.

Actions?

Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 10:14
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Bless for Yenny, Kablamicus, Angus, Galan, Figgis through 10:15; Silence in south part of room through 10:20
Light bearers: Yenny’s bracelet
Injury Status: Galan lightly wounded; Hyde, Dandelion moderately wounded; Angus heavily wounded; Chet dead
all enemies slain

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#246 Post by enn.in.me »

Assuming she can, Yenny lets the silence spell drop as she kneels to pray over Chet’s body. After a minute or so she stands, her face grimmer than normal.

”Time to see what we can do for the living, Veles”, she mutters. ”Come here Angus, you look hurt.”

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Zhym »

Angus doesn't bother protesting; he took some mighty cuts in the battle.

He raises a hand to Chronia's Tear and looks contemplatively at Chet's body. He also checks whether his magic arrow is recoverable. "Reckon we better give this place a good look-see," he says. "Maybe something in here can tell us who these here critters were and why they were aiming to kill us."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by tkrexx »

CHEEEEEEEET!!! Hyde throws his massive form over his slain companion, mourning as only he can; noisily sobbing, snorting and slurping.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#249 Post by enn.in.me »

"May Veles give you the strength to keep us safe."
CLW [1d8] = 2
"I said, may Veles give you the strength to keep us safe!"
CLW [1d8] = 3
"We are deep in an evil place. We must cleanse this area and bring the light down in."

For Angus. Yenny has one more CLW...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Zhym »

"Much obliged," says Angus, though he doesn't feel much better. "Might need us a rest up in town."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by AleBelly »

enn.in.me wrote:
For Angus. Yenny has one more CLW...
Actually, she used one on Chet, so I think her healing is tapped out now.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#252 Post by enn.in.me »

Actually, she used one on Chet, so I think her healing is tapped out now.
Maybe I mis-counted. I thought I'd already struck that one out, and I -Nope 5 spells makes 3 CLW, 1 bless, and 1 Detect Magic. Never mind. I'll update.
:oops:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by AleBelly »

Angus considers altering history as Yenny prays over his wounds. One of his many claw wounds closes up and heals completely.

Hyde pays his respects to Chet in his own way, sobbing over his friend's lifeless body. They explore the room for clues to the origin of its denizens. Against one wall lies an old anvil with blood-stained metal scraps. The crates yield nothing beyond the macabre skulls. Ones with flesh show signs of torture, but they have not been dissected or any of the pieces harvested. In the coinpurses of the creatures they find a total of 340 gold pieces and two jasper gemstones...probably worth 50-100 gp each.

Their clue is found where the floor meets the wall. They find arcane, magical writing. The script, unintelligible to all in the party, repeats itself several dozen times as it's written along the entire perimeter of the room, including both doorways. They have not seen its like thus far in this subterranean area.

A thorough inspection of the room reveals nothing further.

Actions?

Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 10:25
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Bless for Yenny, Kablamicus, Angus, Galan, Figgis through 10:15; Silence in south part of room through 10:20
Light bearers: Yenny’s bracelet
Injury Status: Galan lightly wounded; Hyde, Dandelion moderately wounded; Angus heavily wounded; Chet dead
all enemies slain

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by AleBelly »

As the party searches the room, they also take stock of Chet's possessions:

The most prized is his Fork of Tritherton, a magical pole arm (spetum) that transforms into a trident.
He wears a magical ring on his right index finger.
He has a large sack containing:
A light crossbow with 30 bolts in a 24- and 12-bolt quiver
440 gp, 11 ep, 13 sp, 4 cp
2 first aid kits
A set of thieves' tools
2 torches with a set of flint and steel
A bedroll
A waterskin
A dagger

Two of the enemies, in their cold dead hands, still hold their two-handed swords

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Zhym »

The first aid kits remind Angus that he has two of his own. He reaches for one, pulls out a bandage, and places it over a wound.

First aid: [1d4] = 2

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by AleBelly »

The party recounts the battle as they decide on next steps. Were the creatures hostile before Galan and Figgis entered the room? It is difficult to tell.

It seemed all of them had some magical capabilities. The immunity to Kablamicus' spell was a nasty surprise.

As the battle waned, they did not fight as a unit. All seemed to be looking after their own interests. And the one threatening Chet offered...help? As did the one slain by Angus. But help with what? And why did the one threatening Chet wait so long to kill him? Did it have something to do with Kablamicus hurling the dart at it?

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#257 Post by Tamerlaine »

Figgis is quiet as he lifts a gemstone close to one eye. Chet's death has very little effect on him, his thoughts on the matter restricted to the idea that they are now one warrior short.

When the right moment came, the dwarf cleared his throat and spoke. "Ye might wanna go back an' find another sword hand or two. If ye be thinkin' I'm gonnae stand in fer Chet going toe t' toe with whatever else is crawlin' down 'ere, ye'd be wrong. In fact, I'm just fookin' disappointed wi' meself fer how much fighting' I did."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion asks if the tear thing can be used to only reverse the one action Chet's killer took to take control of him, leaving the others to their actions and fate.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde finally notices his own injuries, but quickly realizes others are in worse shape. He nods, still sniffling, at what both Angus and Figgis have to say. Yeahh, yeahh, we need get outta heah now, hah? We gotta care for Chet propa. His brow furrows in a second. Betta make sure ain't no more of these creeps about. He stalks the exits, ready to defend.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”