:D

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

Re: :D

#21 Post by connivingsumo »

Bloodaxe wrote:Hey all. Im crazy busy with finals, but I'll get caught up soon. Good to see everyone! ;)
It's really good to see you Bloodaxe! Good luck with finals buddy! :geek: :ugeek:

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by tumblingdice »

I'll try to post my character tonight. Sorry for the delay. Paul, Nuruk is bummed that Tyururist won't be joining us for this campaign, but he is psyched to have a space helmet named after him.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by connivingsumo »

I think I'm going to go with Monk. They're not real good fighters in the first few levels, but we could use the thief skills. I'm still pretty tempted on a fighter or pally, however.

I hope to have my character decided on, and finished, by this weekend. :)

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by badams30 »

Looks like we are almost ready to roll. Chad told me he'd get his guy posted as soon as he could, so we might just get rolling and he can join us, obviously we won't be rolling that fast.

Appears we have a monk, druid, cleric and fighter. Do you guys want to recruit 1 or 2 more or just roll as-is? At any rate, let's plan to kick this off within the next week, eh?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by spanningtree »

Sounds good but I do think we could use at least one more shield, err character to join. 2 cents.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by greyarea »

Agreed.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by badams30 »

Thanks, I'll see if we can fool, uh... um... recruit - some new blood. We'll need some too, after I quickly kill Sumo's guy off.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by tumblingdice »

I agree. We could use a wizard in our ranks.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by greyarea »

tumblingdice wrote:I agree. We could use a wizard in our ranks.
how about a ranger? ;)

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:Thanks, I'll see if we can fool, uh... um... recruit - some new blood. We'll need some too, after I quickly kill Sumo's guy off.
WUUUUT!!???

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

Hi all!

So, questions right off the bat:

(1) What's the campaign ID?
(2) What's this module-specific magic system I hear about?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by badams30 »

Zhym wrote:Hi all!

So, questions right off the bat:

(1) What's the campaign ID?
(2) What's this module-specific magic system I hear about?
Say hello to Zhym!
ID is 612, and I'm posting the info on magic in a couple minutes in a separate thread - stand by!

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by spanningtree »

Welcome Zhym! :D

badams, are your going to ask Tonix to mothball the Vainwall campaign?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Zhym »

Thanks!

So, looks like we could use a thief and a wizard. So maybe I'll make an MU/T.

If I understand the magic system, spell points don't replace the need to learn and memorize specific spells, right? It's just a pool of points you can do other stuff with? And it probably won't be a factor until we gain some levels?

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Thanks!

So, looks like we could use a thief and a wizard. So maybe I'll make an MU/T.

If I understand the magic system, spell points don't replace the need to learn and memorize specific spells, right? It's just a pool of points you can do other stuff with? And it probably won't be a factor until we gain some levels?
Hi Zhym!! :D Hey... don't I know you from somewhere?!? :lol:

Actually, the Monk has the Thief skills covered (sans pick pocket), what we could really use is a Wizard; plus, you may not have known from our initial private messages, the DM suggested not multi-classing so your character isn't level-gimped later. He explicitly said he's not forbidding it, but strongly suggests we don't.

Welcome aboard!! :mrgreen:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

Oh, right, I forgot the monks are also thieves.

The main reason I was wanting to multiclass is that magic users are dead boring at low levels. Cast, hide, cast, hide, hide, cast, hide, hide, hide, hide...and that's with the bonus spell rule. :) At least a thief could shoot a ranged weapon that does more than annoyance damage. :)

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Oh, right, I forgot the monks are also thieves.

The main reason I was wanting to multiclass is that magic users are dead boring at low levels. Cast, hide, cast, hide, hide, cast, hide, hide, hide, hide...and that's with the bonus spell rule. :) At least a thief could shoot a ranged weapon that does more than annoyance damage. :)
In that case, Magic User/Cleric, but I think the DM's advice is solid: in this system multi-classing leads to level gimping. :(

If you want to play a Thief then I'll happily make a Fighter or Paladin as it sounds like we need a lot of melee - from what I hear.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Does this game use a custom leveling/XP system?

Multiclass XP splitting is kind of painful at first, but over time it leads to levels that aren't that much lower than the rest of the party. For example, an MU with 10,002 XP would be level 4, a thief would be level 5, and an MU/thief would be level 3/4. Because the XP requirement doubles at each level, a PC with two classes tends to stay one level in each class. Not that awful, IMO.

The bigger issue is non-human level limits, but I've yet to see a game on here that started at level 1 get to the point where level limits became an issue.

No need to change from the monk.

What's the system for starting spells? How many, do I pick or are they randomly generated, etc?

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Does this game use a custom leveling/XP system?
I don't believe so.
Zhym wrote:Multiclass XP splitting is kind of painful at first, but over time it leads to levels that aren't that much lower than the rest of the party. For example, an MU with 10,002 XP would be level 4, a thief would be level 5, and an MU/thief would be level 3/4. Because the XP requirement doubles at each level, a PC with two classes tends to stay one level in each class. Not that awful, IMO.
Well maybe we were doing it wrong in the early 80's, but I remember vanilla classes being like 3-4 levels above the multi guys? Not to mention keeping track of which class you used most for that particular XP, etc. although a lot of people (including some in my 80's group) did away with/House Ruled that out.
Zhym wrote:[...]but I've yet to see a game on here that started at level 1 get to the point where level limits became an issue.
You got me there! :lol: The highest I've ever gotten in a PbP game, reaching back 7'ish years, is like level 8. :? So you've got a really solid point made here.
Zhym wrote:What's the system for starting spells? How many, do I pick or are they randomly generated, etc?
That I don't know; I just remember breezing over the "Special Spell" document to get a general idea, because we already had a Cleric and - like you - I am not at all fond of early level Magic-Users.
I'm sure our DM'll chime in here soon. :mrgreen:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

connivingsumo wrote:Well maybe we were doing it wrong in the early 80's, but I remember vanilla classes being like 3-4 levels above the multi guys? Not to mention keeping track of which class you used most for that particular XP, etc. although a lot of people (including some in my 80's group) did away with/House Ruled that out.
That's a new one on me. I've always played that XP are split evenly between classes no matter what you do. LL AEC is kind of ambiguous on that point (it says only that "Characters with multiple classes divide all experience points between the classes"; note that it doesn't say XP are divided equally between the classes). The 1e PHB is more explicit. For example, in the description of elves: "All earned experience is always divided equally among the classes of the character, even though the character is no longer able to gain levels in one or more of the classes." For some reason, the rule that XP are split equally is repeated in the description of each race instead of in the section on multi-classing. Ah, Gary. Your organization skills are...unique. ;)

The level difference can increase at higher levels when the progression no longer doubles at each level. For example, in LL AEC a PC with 500,000 XP would be a level 10 MU or a level 11 thief but a level 8/9 MU/T. That's an important difference if you need an MU who can cast 5th level spells, though.

Return to “The Forbidden Caverns of Archaia (LL AEC)”