Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

#381 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint will go along with the crowd.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Stirling »

Issachar

"We are closer to Idum than Gaul and likely the dwarven smiths will make much of this. Best place for Olaf son of Olaf to be ransomed from the blade's curse."

suggests the cleric, eager to see his compatriot Casper in the new halls. "He has a certain knowledge of history too, we should avail ourselves of his time and wisdom."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by Bluehorse »

Stirling wrote:Issachar

"We are closer to Idum than Gaul [...]. Best place for Olaf son of Olaf to be ransomed from the blade's curse."
[...] "He has a certain knowledge of history too, we should avail ourselves of his time and wisdom."
Listens and then nods thoughtfully. "this sounds wise. She turns to Winnie.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#384 Post by Alethan »

Earc turns to Olaf, "How exactly are you cursed, Olaf? Do you feel weaker? Or less agile? Or is it something else?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by Zhym »

Olaf leans close to Earc, speaking in the hushed tones one uses to discuss sensitive subjects not suitable for polite company. "It..." he begins, then looks around to see who is listening. He forces himself to continue. "It be making my hair fall out! I already lost me beard to Scatha. How be I to grow it back if I got a cursed sword that make me bald! It not be decent! I gotta be getting back right away!"

He looks at everyone, eyes pleading, then realizes that they are not as scandalized by the prospect as he is. Well, maybe the other dwarves understand. "It actually hits pretty good," he admits. "Too well. I canna draw any other weapon. And I canna put it away less I get blood on it." He tries sheathing it, for show, but it refuses to go in its scabbard. He grimaces and stabs one of the dead and bloody gnoll bitches. "Also, do it seem bright in here to you? But them be irks. The hair, though! The hair! I canna go about losin' hair! Right?"

"Right?"

He sighs heavily. "Fine. We can go on. Jus'—watch out for falling hairs."

"First the dragon got me beard, now this," is grumbles to himself. "Musta pissed off Moradin summat fierce."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#386 Post by Alethan »

"Well, in light of this news, let's keep going."

Earc waves for the marching order to form up and head out again.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie offers heartfelt condolences to Olaf, tempered with flattery. I know it seems serious to your people, but honestly, it shows your strong jaw line and makes your facial expression more pronounced. When you were fighting you looked positively fierce! I am sure a bare head will only enhance the effects. But if you truly need to get it removed, we should do so. But how fast is the... process? Will you be without hair by the time we get there anyhow? And do you truly want to go to see your kin without a beard?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by Zhym »

Olaf looks at Winnie sideways, like she'd just told a stripped-naked woman that it's okay because her breasts are so pert. "Um...thanks," he says, knowing that her heart is probably in the right place at least. "I don't be knowing how log it take. Not keen to find out."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Marullus »

Olaf looks woefully at the three strands of hair in his hand. As Winnie talks, a fourth breaks free and floats down onto his shoulder.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by Zhym »

"M'only 53," mutters Olaf. "Gotta be a curse."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by Stirling »

Issachar

shaven headed with some strange tattoos offers Olaf a sharp razor and a swig from a wineskin of potato stilled hooch."Hair of the dog! quite appropriate don't you think?"he chuckles."I am happy to go on here, maybe we can rest a while and recuperate or seek out the smiths at Idum."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#392 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:Olaf looks woefully at the three strands of hair in his hand. As Winnie talks, a fourth breaks free and floats down onto his shoulder.
Hahahahahaha - that's awesome.

Earc seems to study the new string of hair on Olaf's shoulder for a moment. "If... if it hasn't affected your fighting ability, Olaf, I'd rather we continue on for a bit, at least until we know where this tunnel comes out and what is waiting on the other end. If it is rarely used or sealed, then we might be able to leave and come back safely. If there is more frequent activity, then we might have to press forward to maintain our advantage."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Marullus »

Resolving to press ahead, Earc marshals everyone back into marching order and has the dwarves pull the door open. Beyond the hallway is dark, stretching straight ahead, the mouldy smell of disuse. A brief inspection reveals that the (now standard, 10 foot wide) tunnel stretches 40 feet and then stops, midden and trash mounded there. A 10x10 alcove on the left just short of halfway down is also mounded with waste and trash.

Date: 3:00pm, 18 July 2021
Light: Torchlight in sconces, Earc's glowstick
Effects: None
Injuries: Issachar (minor injury), Olaf (superficial injury)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#394 Post by Alethan »

OOC: So we are in a 2x marching order now? If so, I can supply that for you.

"Careful... trash and refuse can hide things. Or make for good nests. But we need to see what is beyond the trash." Earc whispers.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Zhym »

"Shoot arrows at the piles," says Olaf. "Do it meself, but I'da need to stab something first."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:The other two are complex Eluarian chests, much smaller (about two feet square) and with internal lock mechanisms.
Prior to leaving, Winnie hefts the two chests to determine their weight and if they will slow the party down if she carries one or both. She recommends loading up the longbows, and anything Ellurian onto Pony.

When they reach the midden heap, Winnie stays in place, behind the burlier members of the group.

Items Packed?
  • 2 Ellurian steel, small locked chests
  • Ellurian steel longsword with supple blue dragon-scale hiltwraps
  • Ellurian steel longsword with red-steel folded into the bladework
  • Ellurian steel banded mail armor
  • A finely-embossed kite shield, the edges embellished with thick metal plating and decorated with engraved words.
  • Ellurian steel bastard sword which glows faintly with its own soft yellow light (OLAF)
  • Ellurian steel bastard sword with a blue sheen in its folded-steel blade (BIANCA)
  • Ellurian steel shortsword with running horse engraving (EARC)
  • Finely-wrought heavy flail with Ellurian steel chain (ISAACHAR)
  • Ellurian steel chainmail woven fine as linen (BIANCA)
  • A mighty rounded heater shield, the edges embellished with double rows of metal studs and decorated with feather-like metalwork. (BIANCA)
[/quote]
At resale value, chainmail, and long swords are about 1gp/pound. Raw gold is 10 gp/pound, so leaving those things makes sense for encumbrance. Ellurian

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Feeling the familiar hum of magic on her as she puts on the chainmail and even the shield she smiles happily. The smile widens as she holds the sword and she sheaths it at her left hip. She is still able to carry her staff as a walking stick in her hand but will be unable to wield it as a weapon without discarding the shield, nor can she wield the sword without discarding the staff. She marvels at just how light the linen-like chainmail and the detailed shield, but she does feel slow, even out of place within the new armaments. It may take more than a little getting used to moving around with it on.

movement adjusted to 90'

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint does her share
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by Marullus »

The loot thus far all fits onto Pony the Mule at half-speed.

The group ties the chests up on the mule's back. They tell each other to inspect or shoot into the piles of waste but nobody touches it. The alcove looks, and smells, to be mostly literal gnoll crap. Halfpint wonders how she can help. Bianca looks pleased with herself.

Date: 3:10pm, 18 July 2021
Light: Torchlight in sconces, Earc's glowstick
Effects: None
Injuries: Issachar (minor injury), Olaf (superficial injury)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#400 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

"Well," Earc whispers, "We need to move forward. It looks like this is just the gnoll bathroom. Gross as it is, I'm not digging through that. Let's move forward. Is there a path or any way to get through the refuse without disturbing it?" he asks Olaf and Funil in the front.

Earc encourages them to find egress through the refuse so they can continue moving towards the tower. What does the passage look like after that?

"Olaf, what direction have we been heading in this long tunnel?"

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”