Kicking off

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Kicking off

#81 Post by ffilz »

Just to let you know, we have three new players, one has already rolled up a character, we won't depart system until they have a chance to roll up. That will put your crew at 9, which is largish, but not horrible. I suspect you will want to double bunk crew to increase passenger cabin space.

Due to the refugee situation, I will rule that you will have no trouble filling all low berths, high and middle passages I will roll on the usual charts, however, your next destination is population 0... Ooh, that's rough... You will need to role play to acquire passengers other than low (again due to desperation, low passenger refugees will pay 2000 cr for passage to the next inhabited world you visit). You may be able to find passengers interested in shipping cargo also.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Ramona »

With 9 you might want to consider a slightly larger vessel. I’m not sure what the crew requirements are on a 400dt sub merchant / fat trader.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:With 9 you might want to consider a slightly larger vessel. I’m not sure what the crew requirements are on a 400dt sub merchant / fat trader.
9 is a bit of a large crew, but I'd rather stick with the 200 ton ship. If you double bunk, you still have 5 cabins for passengers, which is only one fewer than the Free Trader is really specced out for (4 crew, 6 passenger).

One option would be if eris coil23 would be willing to let someone else play one of their characters, then it keeps it down to 7.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by ffilz »

BTW, everyone should adjust the cash in the Google Docs to reflect purchases.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:
joertexas wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Vee, Manon and Stefan, “Check the atmosphere before you pull your masks off in there, they back fill with pure nitrogen to prevent fires, oxidation and kill off any bugs for anything they put into long term. I don’t know if the skipper had the environmental systems fired up and I hate cleaning up bodies, so much damn paperwork.”
"Right." Vee steps inside the airlock, and checks the atmospheric readouts for the ship's interior.
TGM: Is the ship's atmosphere breathable?
I'll assume Wen shared the access codes for the airlock he was given (the ship wouldn't just be unlocked for anyone to come along and poke their nose into). I like the idea of the nitrogen atmosphere, but there will be a air exchange protocol that can be initiated from any airlock to start changing the air over. Do you want to enter the passenger area, bridge, or engineering first?

I may have a look at other deck plans and choose something else. If anyone has a favorite Type-A Free Trader deck plan, feel free to post it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Ana turns off the flashlight and slings the SMG and turning on the emergency lights,“I have never been on anything this small, last ship I was on was the Eriana-3, big ass troop transport. One way ticket to this delightful little slice of hell.”
Just a little note here, there has not yet been any imperial response to the troubles here, an out of the way portion of the Imperium. Most likely folks came in either on a patrol ship (which in this region are either Armed Yachts, Scouts, or Mercenary Cruisers), a Free Trader, a Subsidized Merchant, or a Subsidized Liner. There is a remote possibility of a larger ship, but definitely none have called at Tegel in the past month or so.

This corner of the Imperium really is an out of the way backwater frontier, and the Imperium has been pulling back resources and some worlds have declared independence from the Imperium.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana turns off the flashlight and slings the SMG and turning on the emergency lights,“I have never been on anything this small, last ship I was on was the Eriana-3, big ass troop transport. One way ticket to this delightful little slice of hell.”
Just a little note here, there has not yet been any imperial response to the troubles here, an out of the way portion of the Imperium. Most likely folks came in either on a patrol ship (which in this region are either Armed Yachts, Scouts, or Mercenary Cruisers), a Free Trader, a Subsidized Merchant, or a Subsidized Liner. There is a remote possibility of a larger ship, but definitely none have called at Tegel in the past month or so.

This corner of the Imperium really is an out of the way backwater frontier, and the Imperium has been pulling back resources and some worlds have declared independence from the Imperium.
I assume that like the classic Trav Imperium they’re really only interested in taxes, starports and the space between stars and if you want to run the planet like N Korea fill your boots.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by Eris »

lenusmars wrote:
Ramona wrote:The second one is a J2 - Far Trader not a J1 - Free Trader. It’s the Empress Marava varient, the Free Trader deckplans Look like the DGP Free Trader guide, but as they’re 100% digital I’ll bet Moontoad’s Mongoose Trav Free Trader book by Ian. I kind of collect deckplans and maps... I don’t know why.
True enough, but you could demote the Far Trader to J1. I like the layout. And we could either have more cabins in the Air/Raft space or some kind of storage. You're right on the sources. I bought the plan book on drive thru. The other one is from a blog.
Or make it a Far Trader, but with a bum engine...or better yet a downgraded power plant that can't run J2/M2 drives even though they are installed. It would give us a goal to work toward, replacing the power plant with one that "unlocks" J2/M2.

BTW, I know Frank takes jump tapes seriously, so if we don't have a Generate program in our computer (or a Computer that will run it) we are going to be in trouble. Jump Tapes to get from here to anywhere should be at a premium and our only J1 destination is a 0 pop world...would Tapes be available there? We need to get some clarity about how we get around out here before we fly ourselves into a no-exit hole.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Ramona »

Read the thread backwards so you don’t rely end up replying to something that’s been bypassed.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:
ffilz wrote:
Ramona wrote:With 9 you might want to consider a slightly larger vessel. I’m not sure what the crew requirements are on a 400dt sub merchant / fat trader.
9 is a bit of a large crew, but I'd rather stick with the 200 ton ship. If you double bunk, you still have 5 cabins for passengers, which is only one fewer than the Free Trader is really specced out for (4 crew, 6 passenger).

One option would be if eris coil23 would be willing to let someone else play one of their characters, then it keeps it down to 7.
Sorry I've been AWOL. I'm trying to get back into the game(s). Bare with me while I get up to speed with what's going on.

As to giving up a character...I'm sort of invested in Captain Rodriquez now. I'm more than happy to just run one PC at a time, though. So, if someone would like to take over Andy the the Engineer with mad Navigation Skills...or if Frank wants just let him fade into the ether. If he goes bye bye, though, we're going to need PC's to cover Engineering and Navigation.
Nah, just keep both PCs. I suspected you had become attached to the captain though...

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:
lenusmars wrote:
Ramona wrote:The second one is a J2 - Far Trader not a J1 - Free Trader. It’s the Empress Marava varient, the Free Trader deckplans Look like the DGP Free Trader guide, but as they’re 100% digital I’ll bet Moontoad’s Mongoose Trav Free Trader book by Ian. I kind of collect deckplans and maps... I don’t know why.
True enough, but you could demote the Far Trader to J1. I like the layout. And we could either have more cabins in the Air/Raft space or some kind of storage. You're right on the sources. I bought the plan book on drive thru. The other one is from a blog.
Or make it a Far Trader, but with a bum engine...or better yet a downgraded power plant that can't run J2/M2 drives even though they are installed. It would give us a goal to work toward, replacing the power plant with one that "unlocks" J2/M2.

BTW, I know Frank takes jump tapes seriously, so if we don't have a Generate program in our computer (or a Computer that will run it) we are going to be in trouble. Jump Tapes to get from here to anywhere should be at a premium and our only J1 destination is a 0 pop world...would Tapes be available there? We need to get some clarity about how we get around out here before we fly ourselves into a no-exit hole.
Within the "Imperium" here, there are space lanes that provide reasonable connections. Jump tapes for those should generally always be available. Yea, warzone makes things a bit iffy, but the star port is still under Imperial control, so you should be able to get the tapes (and you can get a tape or tapes for Fogbound destinations here, though it does have a Class E starport, so you SHOULD be able to get them there). There are Subsidized Merchants regularly plying those space lanes (though presumably regular service to Tegel is about to be disrupted...).

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:Over at the Port Captain's Office and the branch of a well known and wide spread Bank, Wen is just finishing up with the Admin work when his phone buzzes.

OOC: InterstellerBank? Hortez el Cid? What's a good bank that will have branches all across this Sector? Have we got a TAS member...that might be the best way to go for our banking? IAC, I want to set up an account for The Mazie Star Partnership with my money and the funds each of the partners has invested so far. We'll be able to use that to pay fees, refuel, pay for life support, buy a Jump Tape, stock the Ship's Locker, and so on.

1. Wen has set up a bank account for the Partnership

2. He has shown his proof of ownership of the ship to the Port Captain, and gotten the papers and codes that have been locked in the Port Authority's safe.

3. He has arranged for payment of dockage and other fees and seen to having the ship refueled. He'll be riding over to the ship with the trucks.

Those outside, or watching the screens see fuel trucks pull up outside the ship and a tall man wearing a filter mask hop down from the cab and give directions to the refueling crew before heading for the gangway into the ship.

Wen accesses the airlock and steps inside. He is surprised that the ship is already open, wondering who the hell had the access codes to get into the ship?

"Captain Rodriquez coming aboard."Wen announces when he enters the airlock, "Crew meeting in the forward lounge, right now!"

OOC: New thread time?
Banking may become an issue if you leave Imperial space... I honestly haven't worked it all out yet... What's out there is almost as much of a mystery to me as it is to you...

We'll start a new thread with lift off from the star port.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Might want to look at the new plans Eris, the psg lounge is just inside the airlock and the crew lounge is pretty tight, did the deck plan somehow get resized? I can’t see the upper deck anymore.

Ana taps Simon on the shoulder, “Skip’s here and he wants a jaw session, lets not keep your next potential boss waiting.”

Ana takes the one last look at the leveling off atmospheric readings, “Ought to be safe now Vee,”she coms opening the iris back to the hold and heading aft, “remember that 1 metre desk you were telling me about? I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s going to feel roomy in retrospect.”
Eris, did you edit anything in the document? I think it was your edit that resized the deck plans. I've restored to before your version, if you made any other changes, please re-apply (I couldn't see any changes in the history log). I've also labeled the decks (later I'll get them labeled in the image and repost the image).

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Ramona »

Ooc - banking is something I’ve often pondered in the 3d Imperium, because of the time lag and sophistication of tech. I think you’d have to carry it about with you for the most part (loans being the obvious exception). If you deposit x at y and then make 3 or 4 jumps how is institution #2 or 3 or 5 going to know what’s happened in the mean time? Particularly if you have a ship with long legs. The possiblities for massive amounts of fraud are practically limitless so there has to be some kind of serious check and balance.

A smart criminal would know where the lag pocketd in the x-boat net are and be able to use these to game the system withdrawing the same cash multiple times. Thusly the financial institutuions must have some kind of way around it. You can only withdraw x% of your total balance in cash immediately and after thag you have yo wait for the system to catch up but you can use x% of your balance to purchace goods for transport. Of course there you could simply launder the money by buying goods, and immediately selling for cash... it’s a nightmare when you really start to think about it. You’d have to look at something like the Imperial Roman banking system to come up with an idea how to run things.

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#95 Post by erkenbrand »

The Traveller Adventure, pp 142 wrote:Currency, imperial: The basic unit of legal tender in the Imperium is the Imperial credit. Individual worlds may issue their own currencies, and those currencies may or may not be acceptable on other worlds. Similarly, corporations and megacorporations may issue scrip, and its acceptance outside of the corporate environment is a matter of conjecture. But Imperial credits are accepted everywhere in the Imperium. and in many locations outside of it. Imperial credits are almost impossible to counterfeit because of their unique method of manufacture. Plastic fibers are combined under high temperature and pressure and extruded as a rectangular bundle of great length. The different colored fibers form the pattern of the bill. It is not printed on but actually made a part of the structure of the note. The bundle is sliced to paper thinness, and a 14-digit alphanumeric letter/number combination) is added for uniqueness. Credit bills are issued in 10, 20, 50, 100, 600, 1,000, and 10,000 credit denominations. Plastic coins, manufactured in a similar manner in various shapes, are issued in quarter, half, one, and five credit denominations. Imperial credits can be bulky in large enough quantities. Bills measure 75 mm by 125 mm; one thousand bills stand 50 mm high and weigh 500 grams.
The concept in Traveller is, because of the time lag between worlds, there is a medieval/feudal arrangement of independent worlds, hence the nobility and such, and the concept of money would be the same, it would probably return to a commodity based currency.

We live in a world of fiat currency, which is money that has a value determined by government. The British "pound" was derived from a pound (weight) of silver, back then, the connection between a commodity and a value is what drove the currency market, not what a central bank determined. The official Traveller universe has the Imperial Credit, and therefore can be used as commodity, but it could be gold, silver, or gold-pressed latinum or whatever. You may be able to use a virtual currency within a star system (world) as a network would be available, but I'd guess you need to exchange it if you want to travel elsewhere.

The alternative is the bank note, not the modern version which is the government issued fiat version, but a "note from the bank", which, in a universe of megacorporations, including banks, would probably be the safest and easiest format.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#96 Post by Ramona »

Banking would be a nightmare for anything other than mortgages and even there the ability to potentially avoid your responsibilities for potentially years. Cash would be king. Or some kind of involitile credit stick issued by an individual banking institution.

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#97 Post by erkenbrand »

Ramona wrote:Cash would be king.
Cash, as in commodity currency, not central bank or government backed. The biggest threat is probably a local noble or tyrannical government deciding to make your credit notes worthless through extortion or hyper-inflation, anything can be exchanged into a commodity to be fungible elsewhere.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by ffilz »

I don't want to go down too much of a rabbit hole on money and banking. I'm leaning on the setting as implied by the rules, so there is an Imperial Credit, and we know banks extend ship mortgages. There's some hand wavy mechanism that it all works. Now there may be local issues that change things, or going too far outside the Imperium changes things, but as has been mentioned, cash can always be turned into something valuable in the next star system,

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by Ramona »

I totally agree that it’s a it’s a rabbit hole I do not want to go down, it’s just always been a hole in the game that makes my brain itch. I have friends who work in the fraud squad so these things just get in my brain. Forget I mentioned it.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:Hmm, can folks still not see both decks? I fixed the image...
Better.

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”