000 readying the Maize Star

ffilz
Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Kicking off

#1 Post by Ramona »

Couple quickie questions... what kind of Starship are we looking at, make, model, new, used, salvaged?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#2 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Couple quickie questions... what kind of Starship are we looking at, make, model, new, used, salvaged?
Free Trader per Book 2, 10 years old.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:Wen Rodriguez walked slowly from the berth where The Mazie Star was sitting. She wasn't a 5 KDTon liner like the one he had recently Captained. She was only a 200 dton Free Trader, but she was his! Thinking that made him grin, but just as soon as the smile appeared under his filter mask it disappeared and worry lines creased his brow.

He'd had to travel, mostly by low passage, all the way out to the edge of the Imperium with a rift at his back and unknown systems in front of him to claim his ship. His crew-less ship, he corrected himself. And she was sitting in a port with an active war less than a klick to her north. All it would take was a stray shell..."Oops! That one got away from us."...and he'd have a wreaked pile of junk! He needed to get a crew and get out of here ASAP!

Wen had looked at the board at the Merchant's Guild and gone through the positions wanted section of the local net and sent out several invitations to meet with him at that tavern over there. He was going to be a little late, but that would give the interested a chance to get here. It would weed out any that weren't interested enough to stick around for him to arrive, too.

As Wen strolled along he went over in his mind what he had found aboard The Mazie Star, and what he was going to have to do to get her ready to fly. He thought he recognized a couple of names of potential crew, but he wasn't sure and was a bit apprehensive about the upcoming meeting.

FFilz, any info on the Free Trader would be appreciated. I assume it's a standard J1/M1/Pp1/C1 design, but what design? Any deck plans available? Was there any software aboard and what is Wen's budget to buy more? Does it have a fuel purifier? Are there turrets in the hard points and if so are there any weapons in the turrets? More information would be appreciated.

Do you want to run the initial meeting in this thread or start another?
Yea, standard Book 2 design. I think I will use the deck plans for the Port of Call class from FASA Adventure Class Ships 2 (folks who want to see, let me know your Google+ IDs and I'll post them up and give you access). The ship has 1 Mcr of software, most likely Maneuver (1), Jump-1 (1), Navigation (1), Anti-Hijack (1), Library (1). No turrets. No fuel purifier.

Oh, and keep going here for initial meeting. We will start a new thread when you depart.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee smiles. "My desk was actually pretty big for a starship. She spreads her hands about a meter apart. "it was this wide. I've never spent more than two days ashore anywhere, and I had uniforms issued to me." She sets her large rolling bag upright and settles her mask and goggles in place. "Ready," she reports through the mask.
Ana pushes the button and the atmosphere begins to cycle, “So if I’ve got this right, you’ve never had more than two days off in a row, you had a painfully small desk and some intern in corporate supply knows everything there is to know about your unmentionables.”

The iris opens and Ana steps out into the night, “I mean I’ve lowberthed my way across the Imperium twice so I’ve a I sneaking suspicion half the Navy and most of the Marine Corps knows what my underwear looks like but at least I’ve had a month off here and there.”

She tosses her bags in the back of an unattended baggage truck and motions for Vee to do the same, “Seriously, your desk was only a metre across?” Ana asks starting the truck up, “I wouldn’t even know where to put my coffee cup on a desk that small.”

Ana points across the field to a series of steep sided earthen berms, “Long term is over there, it’s kind of no frills, think there maybe power and black water recycling, not sure.” She revs the engine twice as Vee climbs aboard, Manon and Stefan have to scramble into the luggage compartment before Ana guns the motor and starts driving across the starport, “We really need to talk about this poor kid who had to pick out your underwear.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana pushes the button and the atmosphere begins to cycle, “So if I’ve got this right, you’ve never had more than two days off in a row, you had a painfully small desk and some intern in corporate supply knows everything there is to know about your unmentionables.”

The iris opens and Ana steps out into the night, “I mean I’ve lowberthed my way across the Imperium twice so I’ve a I sneaking suspicion half the Navy and most of the Marine Corps knows what my underwear looks like but at least I’ve had a month off here and there.”

She tosses her bags in the back of an unattended baggage truck and motions for Vee to do the same, “Seriously, your desk was only a metre across?” Ana asks starting the truck up, “I wouldn’t even know where to put my coffee cup on a desk that small.”

Ana points across the field to a series of steep sided earthen berms, “Long term is over there, it’s kind of no frills, think there maybe power and black water recycling, not sure.” She revs the engine twice as Vee climbs aboard, Manon and Stefan have to scramble into the luggage compartment before Ana guns the motor and starts driving across the starport, “We really need to talk about this poor kid who had to pick out your underwear.”
Vee laughs at the commentary as Ana leads them to a vehicle. "We had shops aboard and ashore where I bought a few things. I was born on a starship, so where would I want to visit for a month? At least, that's how I felt before. Now," she looks around, "I think I'd rather see a place where there isn't a war in progress."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee laughs at the commentary as Ana leads them to a vehicle. "We had shops aboard and ashore where I bought a few things. I was born on a starship, so where would I want to visit for a month? At least, that's how I felt before. Now," she looks around, "I think I'd rather see a place where there isn't a war in progress."
“It’s been a while since I’ve been somewhere quiet,” Ana says thoughtfully stopping the baggage truck about 50 metres from the starship, “going to feel weird no gun fire, no screams. That’s kind of messed up when you think about it.”

There are only a couple pale red lights on the landing struts illuminating the belly of the vessel but the silhouette against the night sky is unmistakably that of a Type-A Merchant. A pair of flares burst into existence somewhere to the East casting a sickly blue-green light over the scene, shadows race across the hull as the flares sink towards the ground. The stacatto clatter of automatic weapons fire rolls across the starport.

“Home sweet home,” Ana mutters quietly before swinging out or the truck with purpose. “Come on ladies lets get our crap together and get inside before someone drops a bomb on our heads.”

She grabs her bags off the truck and heads to the starship, “Here’s a stupid question,” she says adjusting her bags and looking at the gangway, “anyone think to get an access code from his lordship before we left him in the bar?”
Last edited by Ramona on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“Home sweet home,” Ana mutters quietly before swinging out or the truck with purpose. “Come on ladies lets get our crap together and get inside before someone drops a bomb on our heads.”

She grabs her bags off the truck and heads to the starship, “Here’s a stupid question,” she says adjusting her bags and looking at the gangway, “anyone think to get an access code from his lordship before we left him in the bar?”
Vee steps down and manhandles her locker from the truck's bed, setting it on it's wheels. She looks a little confused when she steps over to the gangway. "Access code? Hm, well, I guess it makes sense. Every ship I've been on was already manned."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by GodricTheWell »

Mark's ears were still ringing from that last explosion. Close. His teeth were still rattling as he noticed the Merchant Guild lobby had cleared. He took it as a sign that he, too, should find someplace 'safer.' As he pushed himself up off the floor, he noticed a flyer that had fallen from the bulletin board. The Mazie Star was seeking crew for far flung adventures under the leadership of Cpt. Wen Rodriguez.

There was a time and place for interested parties to meet, but it had been scuffed and torn. Unreadable. But, the postmark stamp was set today. This was an active recruitment. Mark glanced at the wall for the time... but just then another explosion sounded right out side. He slammed his filter in place, grabbed his duffle, and hoofed it out the back door.

Mazie Star here I come. Mark was determined to get to the starport and offer his services to Cpt. Rodriguez.

Time lapse.

Mark was dropped off near the Mazie Star. He could see there was already what seemed to be a couple crew unloading a vehicle beneath the free trader. Cinching up his duffle, Mark put on his friendly face and headed their way.

Ahoy! he said, doing his best to sound familiar. I'm looking for Captain Rodriguez. Is he already onboard?
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee steps down and manhandles her locker from the truck's bed, setting it on it's wheels. She looks a little confused when she steps over to the gangway. "Access code? Hm, well, I guess it makes sense. Every ship I've been on was already manned."
“Probably still full of nitrogen,” Ana mutters looking at the ship, “wonder if he’s even been aboard.”

She walks up the gangway opens the cover to the code pannel and punches in a long string of numbers, the system ponders the sequence for a few moments before the light on the lock turns green and the iris starts to cycle.

Ana shrugs, “Aparently being ex-OIC still has a few benefits.”

A ground vehicle with crimson headlights approaches from the direction of the terminal.
GodricTheWell wrote:Mark was dropped off near the Mazie Star. He could see there was already what seemed to be a couple crew unloading a vehicle beneath the free trader. Cinching up his duffle, Mark put on his friendly face and headed their way.

Ahoy! he said, doing his best to sound familiar. I'm looking for Captain Rodriguez. Is he already onboard?
“Don’t thinks so,” a tall woman in a black uniform replies her voice muffled by her filter mask, “ he was in the starport bar last I saw.” She has IR/NV googles on and a scarf wrapped around her head concealing her face.

“He expecting you?” She asks adjusting the strap of her go-bag as she picks up a long carbon fibre rifle case.
Last edited by Ramona on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by joertexas »

GodricTheWell wrote:Mark was dropped off near the Mazie Star. He could see there was already what seemed to be a couple crew unloading a vehicle beneath the free trader. Cinching up his duffle, Mark put on his friendly face and headed their way. Ahoy! he said, doing his best to sound familiar. I'm looking for Captain Rodriguez. Is he already onboard?
Ramona wrote:“Don’t thinks so,” a tall woman in a black uniform replies her voice muffled by her filter mask, “ he was in the starport bar last I saw.” She has IR/NV googles on and a scarf wrapped around her head concealing her face. “He expecting you?” She asks adjusting the strap of her go-bag as she picks up a long carbon fibre rifle case.
The woman standing next to her, with a wheeled duffel bag in tow, turns to look at the new arrival as well. She is tall, with blonde hair and skin the color of chocolate. She wears a filter mask and plain goggles, along with a jumpsuit and low boots.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by GodricTheWell »

“He expecting you?” She asks adjusting the strap of her go-bag as she picks up a long carbon fibre rifle case.
Mark holds the torn recruiting flyer up in front of him, like a permission slip.
Well, sort of. I'm here for work.
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Ramona »

GodricTheWell wrote:Mark holds the torn recruiting flyer up in front of him, like a permission slip.
”Well, sort of. I'm here for work.”
“I see,” the tall military woman with the scarf says looking him up and down carefully, “you should probably wait out here with me till the skipper shows up.”

She opens the long case and pulls out a semiautomatic rifle with an electronic scope, she flips the rifle over with a practiced ease and taps a magazine into the receiver in the stock.

Ana looks at Vee, Manon and Stefan, “Check the atmosphere before you pull your masks off in there, they back fill with pure nitrogen to prevent fires, oxidation and kill off any bugs for anything they put into long term. I don’t know if the skipper had the environmental systems fired up and I hate cleaning up bodies, so much damn paperwork.”

She slings the the rifle over her shoulder pulling two more magazines out of the case before locking it and surveying the horizon, “I’m Ana by the way,” she says without looking at Mark, “this is Vee, Manon and Stefan. What’s your name cowboy?”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Vee, Manon and Stefan, “Check the atmosphere before you pull your masks off in there, they back fill with pure nitrogen to prevent fires, oxidation and kill off any bugs for anything they put into long term. I don’t know if the skipper had the environmental systems fired up and I hate cleaning up bodies, so much damn paperwork.”
"Right." Vee steps inside the airlock, and checks the atmospheric readouts for the ship's interior.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#14 Post by erkenbrand »

Another explosion, and out of the corner of one’s eye a tall figure shoots around the corridor as if being pursued, he glances nervously around him, and spotting the crowd at the airlock he holds up a hand and a well spoken accent calls out “Hey, I say, room for one more there?”

Wheeling a large case and wearing a high tech vacc suit, the helm rolled back down, and a combination breather around his neck, the tall man strides forward with an air of confidence, marred by a bout of scurrying, as if he was being followed.

Approaching the waiting crowd, he introduces himself “Hello! Tanaka is the name, pleased to meet you all, a little grav-droid told me someone was looking for a competent pilot, well, I’m one of sorts, and looking for work don’t you know?”

His accent is a little grating, but he appears genuine, with a kind face.

It’s then you notice he has an ornately decorated fencing foil looped into his belt.
Merchant Senior Captain Simon Tanaka 787CBA Age 46 7 terms Cr35,000
Body Pistol-2, Bribery-1, Mechanical-4, Pilot-4, Streetwise-1, Vacc Suit-1
8,000/yr Retirement Pay, Body Pistol, Foil, TAS

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by joertexas »

joertexas wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana looks at Vee, Manon and Stefan, “Check the atmosphere before you pull your masks off in there, they back fill with pure nitrogen to prevent fires, oxidation and kill off any bugs for anything they put into long term. I don’t know if the skipper had the environmental systems fired up and I hate cleaning up bodies, so much damn paperwork.”
"Right." Vee steps inside the airlock, and checks the atmospheric readouts for the ship's interior.
TGM: Is the ship's atmosphere breathable?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:I'll assume Wen shared the access codes for the airlock he was given (the ship wouldn't just be unlocked for anyone to come along and poke their nose into). I like the idea of the nitrogen atmosphere, but there will be a air exchange protocol that can be initiated from any airlock to start changing the air over. Do you want to enter the passenger area, bridge, or engineering first?

I may have a look at other deck plans and choose something else. If anyone has a favorite Type-A Free Trader deck plan, feel free to post it.
I was hoping Eris would jump in, then I thought eh I was a General here, I probably have security over rides. Nitrogen popped into my head, it’s inert and non-toxic so I ran with it.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Ramona »

erkenbrand wrote:Wheeling a large case and wearing a high tech vacc suit, the helm rolled back down, and a combination breather around his neck, the tall man strides forward with an air of confidence, marred by a bout of scurrying, as if he was being followed.

Approaching the waiting crowd, he introduces himself “Hello! Tanaka is the name, pleased to meet you all, a little grav-droid told me someone was looking for a competent pilot, well, I’m one of sorts, and looking for work don’t you know?”

His accent is a little grating, but he appears genuine, with a kind face.

It’s then you notice he has an ornately decorated fencing foil looped into his belt.
We’re outside so he’d have the filtermask on but I’ll just chop that out. There’s a lot to read back there.
Ana looks at him over the bagage truck as she pops the latches on a small hard back carbon fibre case, well at least Tanaka thinks she looks at him, it’s hard to tell with her scarf and the largely featureless black IR/LA goggles she’s wearing. The iris valve to the ship closes leaving just the woman and another man out here on the apron.

“Oh for Christmas sakes, how many people did Wen invite to this shindig?” She remarks pulling a submachine gun out of the case and looking it over qiuckly. It’s a small angular weapon with a pistol grip magazine, wide field of view optics, side rail with a flashlight mounts and a second grip under the barrel.

Ana slides a magazie into the grip and chambers a round,“Look friend, no offence intended, but like I told this fellow,” she thumbs towards Mark, “until the skipper gives me the green light you get to hang out here with me.”

Another salvo of rockets from the battery to the West of the field roar overhead, the woman seems to barely notice. She takes her bags to thr bottom of the gang way and puts them down, watching the men carefully.

“That’s a nice blade,”she asks nodding towards Tanaka’s side, “you know how to use it?”

A long loud burst of automatic weapons fire rattles across the base from somewhere close.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:I'll assume Wen shared the access codes for the airlock he was given (the ship wouldn't just be unlocked for anyone to come along and poke their nose into). I like the idea of the nitrogen atmosphere, but there will be a air exchange protocol that can be initiated from any airlock to start changing the air over. Do you want to enter the passenger area, bridge, or engineering first?
Vee accesses the ship's environmental system from the airlock's panel, and activates the air exchange protocol. "Unless you have a vacc suit, you can't enter the ship for another ten minutes," she tells the people in the airlock with her.

She makes her way back down the gangway to find Ana. "We have to wait until we get a breathable atmosphere, unless you have a vacc suit."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:
Vee accesses the ship's environmental system from the airlock's panel, and activates the air exchange protocol. "Unless you have a vacc suit, you can't enter the ship for another ten minutes," she tells the people in the airlock with her.

She makes her way back down the gangway to find Ana. "We have to wait until we get a breathable atmosphere, unless you have a vacc suit."
I think I'd like to edit this a bit and say you would need to access engineering or the bridge to get to the atmosphere controls.

Also, technically, all you need is oxygen tanks since there is standard atmospheric pressure, you just need a source of oxygen (in fact, probably medical supplemental oxygen would be sufficient, or at least with a combo mask).

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by erkenbrand »

Ramona wrote:Ana slides a magazie into the grip and chambers a round,“Look friend, no offence intended, but like I told this fellow,” she thumbs towards Mark, “until the skipper gives me the green light you get to hang out here with me.”

Another salvo of rockets from the battery to the West of the field roar overhead, the woman seems to barely notice. She takes her bags to thr bottom of the gang way and puts them down, watching the men carefully.

“That’s a nice blade,”she asks nodding towards Tanaka’s side, “you know how to use it?”

A long loud burst of automatic weapons fire rattles across the base from somewhere close.
Simon flinches at the gunfire, it is plainly obvious this is someone not used to combat zones, there is a slight hint of desperation when told he'd have to wait.

Ah the pointy stick, yes, retirement present, bit ornate but perfectly functional or so I'm told, would like to learn how to use it one day!

He turns and looks around, visibly distressed at the bangs, If I survive, that is!

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”