Kicking off

ffilz
Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Kicking off

#61 Post by Ramona »

OOG - As a GM myself it drives me bonkers to invest the time to set something up only to have players wabder past it distracted by something else shiney.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:OOG - As a GM myself it drives me bonkers to invest the time to set something up only to have players wabder past it distracted by something else shiney.
I'm learning to not be driven bonkers. I also don't invest a lot of time in setting up the opportunities I present...

This has been an interesting experiment so far (this is the 3rd PbP campaign I've started on top of some Roll20/Google Hangouts play).

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Ramona »

Eris wrote:"Yeah, that's my worry. There are a lot of shells landing awfully close to the Star Port fence. It would only take one 'oops' to put us out of business." Wen says.

"So, let's load this ship up...you called it the Mazie Star, right?...and get out of here!"Andy chips in.

"I don't know about cargoes out of here, but I bet there are quite a few folks that want to book passage off this world right now, and probably don't care where to, as long as it's somewhere else." Wen says as he stands, "Okay, if we're all in, let's go see the ship and expedite our exit, stage left."
OOG - Ana will have vendored off her passages to raise the capital for this venture and getting herself a Vac suit.

Ana nods, “Typically in a situation like this there’s also any number of one percenters who are looking to get capital or goods off world before the new tax collectors have an opportunity to begin auditing the books.”

She grins a little, “Watched this one little guy on some god forsaken rock trading starship captains elements of his vintage car collection just so he could the rarer ones off world before the new regime took over. Cars were filled with jewelry, silverware, expensive clothes and property deeds, bugger even had four trucks full of wine bottles, who buys wine by the truck load?”

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by coil23 »

Manon and Stefan got vacc suits while they could (and funds deducted).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana nods, “Typically in a situation like this there’s also any number of one percenters who are looking to get capital or goods off world before the new tax collectors have an opportunity to begin auditing the books.”

She grins a little, “Watched this one little guy on some god forsaken rock trading starship captains elements of his vintage car collection just so he could the rarer ones off world before the new regime took over. Cars were filled with jewelry, silverware, expensive clothes and property deeds, bugger even had four trucks full of wine bottles, who buys wine by the truck load?”
Vee grins. "Someone with more credits than sense?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee grins. "Someone with more credits than sense?"
“Clearly,” Ana says glancing at her watch, “never had more than 2 credits to rub together at any time myself.”

She looks a Wen, “Look, I’ve got a couple duffles I need to collect from a locker in the main building, you let me know if there’s anything we need to get while I’m there. Papers to file, bureaucrats to eliminate, you know the usual stuff. Meantime let’s see if we can’t scare up some business quick so we can get out of here.”

Ana stands up, takes her filter mask off her belt and pulls it on, “Anyone need to come with?” She asks, her voice muffled by the mask as she pulls her goggles down and redoes her scarf. “Can’t promise it’ll be romantic but I guarantee there’ll be fireworks.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana stands up, takes her filter mask off her belt and pulls it on, “Anyone need to come with?” She asks, her voice muffled by the mask as she pulls her goggles down and redoes her scarf. “Can’t promise it’ll be romantic but I guarantee there’ll be fireworks.”
"I'll go with you," Vee says. She stands and dons her own mask and goggles. "You know how to entice a girl."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:"I'll go with you," Vee says. She stands and dons her own mask and goggles. "You know how to entice a girl."
Ana pauses outside the door to look at the burning city across the valley, “Dreadful mess that, hell on the civilians.” She shakes her head and starts off in the direction of the main terminal, “If you hear a really loud bang close by would you be a dear and check to make sure I haven’t been vaporized.”

“Vee,” Ana appears to turn the name over in her mind before starting over, “So, merchant marine huh? What brings you to the raggedy outside edge of the Empire?”

“I was unceremoniously dumped by my former mistress, refused to accept my re-enlistment papers. Told me I was to old and promptly replaced me with some young, handsome well born REMF without an ounce of field experience. Left me high and dry three long weeks ago. To old, can you imagine? What bloody cheek.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:
joertexas wrote:"I'll go with you," Vee says. She stands and dons her own mask and goggles. "You know how to entice a girl."
Ana pauses outside the door to look at the burning city across the valley, “Dreadful mess that, hell on the civilians.” She shakes her head and starts off in the direction of the main terminal, “If you hear a really loud bang close by would you be a dear and check to make sure I haven’t been vaporized.”

“Vee,” Ana appears to turn the name over in her mind before starting over, “So, merchant marine huh? What brings you to the raggedy outside edge of the Empire?”

“I was unceremoniously dumped by my former mistress, refused to accept my re-enlistment papers. Told me I was to old and promptly replaced me with some young, handsome well born REMF without an ounce of field experience. Left me high and dry three long weeks ago. To old, can you imagine? What bloody cheek.”
Vee follows along, and chuckles at her comment. "Of course, dear." She listens to Ana's account of how she arrived here. "That wasn't equitable at all," she said after Ana finished. "I never treated my people that way. For myself, I decided I wanted to see more than my office and paperwork. My master's certification was taking too long for my taste, and then I heard that Captain Wen was retiring and had a ship. I seem to have missed the part about a war."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee follows along, and chuckles at her comment. "Of course, dear." She listens to Ana's account of how she arrived here. "That wasn't equitable at all," she said after Ana finished. "I never treated my people that way. For myself, I decided I wanted to see more than my office and paperwork. My master's certification was taking too long for my taste, and then I heard that Captain Wen was retiring and had a ship. I seem to have missed the part about a war."
“Really?” Ana replies, “It’s been all over the news here.” A salvo of rockets shriek out of the agricultural lands to the West pass directly over the starport and head towards the city. “One of those damn things goes haywire and ends up inside the fence and we’ve got real problems, bad enough they’re using the starport as cover. Lord dinglefrizt needs to get his act together and put a stop to that.”

“Do I sound bitter? I’m feeling a little salty. Hasn’t even bothered picking up the phone to ask for advice, just pushed me out the window.” Ana shakes her head and redirects the conversation.

“So you know Baron Rodriguez, personally or just by reputation? Can’t be that bad of an egg if you’d follow him all the way out here.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“Really?” Ana replies, “It’s been all over the news here.” A salvo of rockets shriek out of the agricultural lands to the West pass directly over the starport and head towards the city. “One of those damn things goes haywire and ends up inside the fence and we’ve got real problems, bad enough they’re using the starport as cover. Lord dinglefrizt needs to get his act together and put a stop to that.”

“Do I sound bitter? I’m feeling a little salty. Hasn’t even bothered picking up the phone to ask for advice, just pushed me out the window.” Ana shakes her head and redirects the conversation.

“So you know Baron Rodriguez, personally or just by reputation? Can’t be that bad of an egg if you’d follow him all the way out here.”
"Silly me for not watching the local 'net," Vee sighs. She smiles at Ana's biting commentary, and follows her change of subject. "He has a fine reputation as a captain. I thought, if he was willing to try running his own starship, then I could certainly join his crew." She looks around. "Where is this ship of his, anyway?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:"Silly me for not watching the local 'net," Vee sighs. She smiles at Ana's biting commentary, and follows her change of subject. "He has a fine reputation as a captain. I thought, if he was willing to try running his own starship, then I could certainly join his crew." She looks around. "Where is this ship of his, anyway?"
“Always check out the feeds from where you’re going, it’s usually a couple weeks out of date but helps you avoid any nasty surprises. It’s part of the reason they made the X-Net.”

“Oh it’s probably that old rust bucket out in long term,” Ana replies waiting for one of the outer iris valves on the main terminal to cycle, a pair of Imperial soldiers walk past and salute crisply, Ana returns the salute motioning for Vee to step inside.

The outer iris seals behind them and the atmosphere is quickly exchanged. Ana pushes her scarf back, puts her goggles atop her head and pulls her mask down around her neck.

The terminal is a massive open concept building with three levels over looking a large atrium, hundreds, perhaps thousands of refugees fill the space camping out on every available surface. Most of the businesses are shuttered and the filtration systems are taxed to the limit trying to keep the smell of to many people in not enough space down.

Ana pushes her way through the crowd like a woman with purpose, “Four or five months back this A-Type shows up, crew just walked away, don’t know if they defaulted or it was a delivery. Starport folks sealed it up and that was that, just been sitting out there gathering weeds ever since.”

On the far side of the lower level are several dozen rows of lockers, “Make a hole people,” Ana says with authority, “let me get my stuff and the lockers are yours.” The refugees move as Ana forces her way in.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana pushes her way through the crowd like a woman with purpose, “Four or five months back this A-Type shows up, crew just walked away, don’t know if they defaulted or it was a delivery. Starport folks sealed it up and that was that, just been sitting out there gathering weeds ever since.”

On the far side of the lower level are several dozen rows of lockers, “Make a hole people,” Ana says with authority, “let me get my stuff and the lockers are yours.” The refugees move as Ana forces her way in.
Vee follows Ana through the terminal. "I wonder how much work that ship needs before it will fly. We probably don't have much time to get it going."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee follows Ana through the terminal. "I wonder how much work that ship needs before it will fly. We probably don't have much time to get it going."
Ana shrugs pushing a woman and her two children to one side, “Pardon me,” she punches a code into a keypad there’s a whirring as the lockers behind the wall reorient themselves so the locker in question is shuffled to the access port a door close to a meter by a meter opens up next to the keypad. Vee recognizes it as a standardized Imperial long storage locker capable of holding slightly better than a cubic meter of materials.

“The power-plant on a grav-tank takes about 30 mins to fire up after its been shut down,”. Ana stops and looks at Vee, “well I mean assuming you have a big enough APU. Although in a pinch you can get it up and running in 7 if you’re willing to cut some corners.”

Ana reaches in an pulls a long narrow black carbon-fibre case out of the locker and hands it to Vee, “Pointy end goes boom so careful with that one while I grab the others.” She reaches back in grabs a smaller matching case and a large travel bag with wheels at one end, a vac suit helmet is attached to the top of the travel bag with stretchy mesh webbing.

“Well, that’s it, my whole life in four bags,” Ana frowns before taking the rifle case back from Vee and starting to push her way through the crowd again towards the doors. “Did you want to hit the duty free before we leave? I know the owner.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“Well, that’s it, my whole life in four bags,” Ana frowns before taking the rifle case back from Vee and starting to push her way through the crowd again towards the doors. “Did you want to hit the duty free before we leave? I know the owner.”
Vee assists Ana with arranging her baggage. "No, I think I have what I need," she pats her own bag. "I've learned to make do with whatever fits in my locker."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee assists Ana with arranging her baggage. "No, I think I have what I need," she pats her own bag. "I've learned to make do with whatever fits in my locker."
“Wait,” Ana says pulling her filter mask back on, “you flew a desk for how many years and everything you own is in that bag? I don’t belive it.”

She pulls her goggles down and readjusts her scarf.

“I’ve spent the better part of 20 years bouncing from one hotspot to another and I had to make tough choices just to get down to 4 bags. Look up gypsy on the X-Net and there’s a picture of me.”

Ana waits for Vee to adjust her mask and goggles before cycling the outer door.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by coil23 »

Manon and Stefan place their combination masks in place and follow the others. The possibility of a random shot taking out their ticket off this rock is keen on Manon's mind. The sooner we're out of here the better, he mutters. Stefan keeps an eye on the group's flanks as they make their way.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“Wait,” Ana says pulling her filter mask back on, “you flew a desk for how many years and everything you own is in that bag? I don’t belive it.” She pulls her goggles down and readjusts her scarf. “I’ve spent the better part of 20 years bouncing from one hotspot to another and I had to make tough choices just to get down to 4 bags. Look up gypsy on the X-Net and there’s a picture of me.” Ana waits for Vee to adjust her mask and goggles before cycling the outer door.
Vee smiles. "My desk was actually pretty big for a starship. She spreads her hands about a meter apart. "it was this wide. I've never spent more than two days ashore anywhere, and I had uniforms issued to me." She sets her large rolling bag upright and settles her mask and goggles in place. "Ready," she reports through the mask.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by ffilz »

Some cool descriptions of the situation and good roleplay...

We have a couple new players joining, once we get characters for them, we should get cabin assignments, line up cargo and passengers, and get the ship under way.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by ffilz »

I should also add that if there's something you're waiting for my input on just make it clear in an ooc post...

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”