chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#341 Post by coil23 »

Let me know what illumination the three of you are using. The only stated so far (unless I missed something) is Salt Peter's magic candle, whose light is only visible to his eyes.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#342 Post by OGRE MAGE »

None here.

I thought we weren't going to light any torches just yet.

If salty doesn't find anything, I say we move along with him leading the way with his candle.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by hedgeknight »

Agreed.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Starbeard »

Ditto.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#345 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix grows tired of searching in the dark and begins heading for the butchers cave.

"I cant see a damn thing looking around here in the dark. Lets go see what we can find out about those orcs, instead.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#346 Post by coil23 »

Assuming no dissent from the others...

Does the group trek back through the tunnel or do you want to try to make your way through the woods? And where exactly are you wanting to go?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by hedgeknight »

I think we are heading for the butcher's cave, right guys?
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#348 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I thought we were shown the location of a secret door into the orc's cave? Can we tell where that is on the map we have?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#349 Post by coil23 »

You were shown where a secret door is by the orc. He showed it to you in the context of a floorplan map of the cave. So you would know fairly precisely where to find it if you were already inside the cave. To come to it from the outside, you have an approximate idea of which direction to head through the woods but would still have to search to find it.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#350 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ok, then. I am still all for going to see if we can find it from the outside if that is cool with everyone else.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Starbeard »

"Hunting around in the woods after dark, with orc butchers and witches about, and people vanishing without a trace left and right. What could go wrong?"

Once they reach their spot in the woods, Manred will stand a bit to the side, in the direction he figures the orc cave is, while the others search. He will use his elf ears and eyes to listen and watch carefully for anything coming toward them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#352 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix nods at the elf's logic.

"I agree! We aren't going to let a few local wives tales scare us away from our ultimate mission here. Lets go find that door."

The mage follows closely behind those with the night vision, even going so far as holding on to the back of their cloaks if he has to, just so he doesn't need to carry a torch out in the open.

Once at the woods, he tries to control his breathing so he can stay as silent as possible for those listening.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#353 Post by coil23 »

The darkness seems as if it could be hiding danger all around you. By counting steps, the group proceeds through the woods until you believe you are a bit west of where the side tunnel came up to the trapdoor leading to these woods. There are the occasional forest animal noises (probably just regular animals) around you. Other than that, the area is uncomfortably quiet.Continuing a bit north-northwest, you creep through the woods until a faint flickering light is seen ahead.

Coming closer, you spy the cave entrance that leads to the large butchery chamber of the cave where you killed the two orcs earlier. The flickering light looks to be from torches around the corner as the cave hall curves and casting their shadows out into the woods though not far from the mouth. The forest darkness soon swallows the faint light. Watching for a few minutes, there is no sign anyone or anything is nearby. The whole cave structure comes from the enormous hulk of stone jutting from the earth in these woods. From where Borxx indicated the secret entrance was, somewhere along this stony mass and left of the cave mouth is where you expect to find it.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by Starbeard »

Manred points to the left of the cave's mouth. "I guess that's where we're headed. Quietly now."

He tiptoes over and starts investigating for openings or unusual surfaces, keeping a wide berth from the light coming from the cave.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#355 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix follows as best he can in the darkness. When they get to the stone wall, he feels around with his hands, trying to find anything that seems like it might be an opening of some kind.

He tries to stay as quiet as he possibly can.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by hedgeknight »

While the others search for the entrance, Graela stands guard, spear in hand with eyes and ears alert. See anything, Salty?
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by coil23 »

Graela, standing guard, hears occasional noises coming from the cave mouth. But it is nothing loud or regular enough to suggest the routine butchery that was going on when your group first encountered the large room. Still no movement to suggest anyone is about to your dwarven eyes.

The halfling assists with the search, using his candle to illuminate the rocky wall. The elf, halfling, and human eventually converge on a fallen limb that seems intentionally placed, judging by its positioning. The limb is placed against a thick wall of ivy growing up the rock. Rooting around the ivy wall reveals a rent in the green curtain where one can slip through into an opening in the rock behind it. It is dark in the opening but the faintest of light seems to come from around a corner. This appears to be an opening into a curved recess through the rock.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by hedgeknight »

"Manred, let's go have a look see," Graela says, slipping into the crevasse, allowing her eyes to adjust to the darkness beyond.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Starbeard »

Manred follows without saying anything, using his spear to part the vines gently.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#360 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix continues fumbling around in the dark, hoping that the others can find something out here without his aid.

"If you're going inside, don't dally too long in there. I cant see a damn thing out here in the dark. If you find a good spot for us to regroup once inside, come back and get me post haste."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”