Kicking off

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Kicking off

#21 Post by ffilz »

ffilz wrote:
Eris wrote:Ffilz, I'm likely to disappear for a while once Hurricane Nate hits. As I said, I'll take on Wen Rodriguez as a second PC unless Coil wants to, but I am unlikely to be here for a bit. I don't want to stall the game, so please, NPC Andy and Wen if I'm going to play him until I get back.
Ok, it looks like you running Wen Rodriquez. If you could give some thoughts on what you think the course of action should be, we will do our best to keep the game rolling if you're out for extended time.
Eris, feel free to have Rodriguez appear whenever...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Eris »

Wen Rodriguez walked slowly from the berth where The Mazie Star was sitting. She wasn't a 5 KDTon liner like the one he had recently Captained. She was only a 200 dton Free Trader, but she was his! Thinking that made him grin, but just as soon as the smile appeared under his filter mask it disappeared and worry lines creased his brow.

He'd had to travel, mostly by low passage, all the way out to the edge of the Imperium with a rift at his back and unknown systems in front of him to claim his ship. His crew-less ship, he corrected himself. And she was sitting in a port with an active war less than a klick to her north. All it would take was a stray shell..."Oops! That one got away from us."...and he'd have a wreaked pile of junk! He needed to get a crew and get out of here ASAP!

Wen had looked at the board at the Merchant's Guild and gone through the positions wanted section of the local net and sent out several invitations to meet with him at that tavern over there. He was going to be a little late, but that would give the interested a chance to get here. It would weed out any that weren't interested enough to stick around for him to arrive, too.

As Wen strolled along he went over in his mind what he had found aboard The Mazie Star, and what he was going to have to do to get her ready to fly. He thought he recognized a couple of names of potential crew, but he wasn't sure and was a bit apprehensive about the upcoming meeting.

FFilz, any info on the Free Trader would be appreciated. I assume it's a standard J1/M1/Pp1/C1 design, but what design? Any deck plans available? Was there any software aboard and what is Wen's budget to buy more? Does it have a fuel purifier? Are there turrets in the hard points and if so are there any weapons in the turrets? More information would be appreciated.

Do you want to run the initial meeting in this thread or start another?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Ramona »

Eris wrote: Andy had been watching the woman that just entered. No way she was Rodriguez, she had military written all over her, but she bared keeping an eye on anyway.

When she said "Rodriguez..." Andy's head whipped around and he grinned saying loud enough for the woman to hear him,"That's just what I was asking. Doesn't appear to be here yet."

Andy stands and waves to the woman, "Come on over and join us and we'll wait together."
Ana looks Andy over carefully, she’s long and lean with well defined arms and amber coloured eyes. “You’d think given the state of affairs outside the wire he’d be in a rush to get the heck out of Dodge.”

She wanders over to the table and takes a seat, “Hopefully his ship isn’t the the one the Modrons lit up last week.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:OOC: I've made contact with siravd and unfortunately his availability has decreased, so we will have to continue without him.

If you like I can generate a new merchant captain and one of you can take him as a 2nd or replacement PC, or we can roll up a scout with a ship (or even a noble or hunter), or we can continue with your PCs as "travellers" without a ship.
I'm available to fill a position - let me know what you need. I did post a character that can cover a lot of shipboard duties.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by coil23 »

Sorry I fell off the earth for a while. I'm fine with playing the captain but it sounds like someone else (who was actually present online :oops: ) has that covered. I do like the idea of us having our own ship. And I had jokingly called dibs on being captain when I heard someone else had dropped out.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by ffilz »

If each of you could PM me with the e-mail you use for Google Docs (or let me know if you DON'T log into Google Docs, I can set up a Google Doc for the campaign with all the characters so we can more easily see what we have and who is playing who. I can also put the deck plans in that (don't want to share them in a generally visible document since they aren't free content).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

ffilz wrote:If each of you could PM me with the e-mail you use for Google Docs (or let me know if you DON'T log into Google Docs, I can set up a Google Doc for the campaign with all the characters so we can more easily see what we have and who is playing who. I can also put the deck plans in that (don't want to share them in a generally visible document since they aren't free content).
Hmm, tried to add ramona's e-mail for access and it didn't work... Here is a read-only link to the document (eris should be able to edit) for now:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_81 ... sp=sharing

Please request access and let's see if that works. If it doesn't work out for some of you to edit, I'll keep the "need the link to see it" and one of us who can edit can make updates for you. I may put the deck plans somewhere else in this case so they are not so visible (and PM the link for them).

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Kicking off & Proposed Articles of Agreement

#28 Post by Eris »

coil23 wrote:Sorry I fell off the earth for a while. I'm fine with playing the captain but it sounds like someone else (who was actually present online :oops: ) has that covered. I do like the idea of us having our own ship. And I had jokingly called dibs on being captain when I heard someone else had dropped out.
I'm sorry if I stepped on your "dibs." I did ask if that was what you were calling dibs for, and after a few days said I'd do it if no one else would. If you want the job, please take it. I'll willingly step aside...

On another subject, ORGANIZATION. I've always found that having a partnership among the PC's rather than a employer/employee relationship works best in a game, so I'm proposing the following.

--= Articles of Agreement =--

A. There will be a Ship's Company of crew members that control and operate this ship.

1. To initially join the Ship's Company an individual must contribute cash or goods equal to (or more than) 20,000 credits to the Ship's General Fund. This contribution may be a lump sum or paid in over an agreed to period of time.

2. In return each member of the Ship's Company will receive an equal share of profits made from carrying freight and passengers and from trading.

B. At the end of each month (or jump), a meeting of the Ship's Company will allocate income earned as follows:

1. All revenue earned during the period (month/jump) will be placed in the Ship's General Fund.

2. The amount needed to cover mortgage, maintenance, repair, life support, berthing and dockage fees and other normal operations will be moved to the Ship Operating Fund and will be spent for that purpose.

3. The Ship's Quartermaster may allocate additional money from the General Fund to the Ship Operating Fund to cover unforeseen expenses, but such allocations are subject to review by the Ship's Company at the next meeting.

3. By majority vote of the Ship's Company all remaining revenue will be divided among the General Fund, a Ship Trading Fund, and direct allocation to each crew member.

4. Ship Improvements, such as new software, turrets, weapons, fuel purifiers, etc. will be purchased from the Ship's General Fund after approval by the Ship's Company at a meeting.

C. The Captain of the ship will make decisions concerning the operation of the ship while it is "in space."

1. The Captain's orders will be obeyed by all crew members while the ship is not "in port."

2. The Captain will assign crew members to the positions of pilot, navigator, engineer, medic, steward and other ship operating positions.

3. The Captain will hire additional (non Ship's Company) crew for any position not covered by members of the Ship's Company. These hires will be subject to review at the next meeting.

4. The pay for non-Ship's Company crew will come from the Ship's Operating Fund and the Quartermaster is in charge of moving money from the General Fund to the Operating Fund. That is, the Captain may hire, but the Quartermaster controls the pay. {Checks and Balances}

D. The Quartermaster will make decisions regarding the carriage of freights, passengers and the purchase/sale of speculative cargoes purchased with the Ship Trading Fund.

1. The Quartermaster will keep good records of the Ship Funds and will make those records available to the Ship's Company at all times.

2. The Quartermaster will assign crew members with tasks related to revenue producing activities: freight, passengers and speculative cargoes.

3. The Quartermaster will assign quarters to each crew member.

E. The positions of Captain and Quartermaster are chosen by majority vote of the Ship's Company and may be replaced at any Company meeting. The same person my hold both Captain and Quartermaster positions, if so voted by the Ship's Company.

F. Additional articles may be added to these and existing articles may be modified by majority vote of the Ship's Company.

Tell me what you think. Do these Articles of Agreement work for you?

BTW, if I'm playing Wen and we agree to these Articles, he'll be contributing the ship as his 20,000 or more to join the Ship's Company. I think that's mighty generous of him! ;)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Kicking off & Proposed Articles of Agreement

#29 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Tell me what you think. Do these Articles of Agreement work for you?
Sounds good to me.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by Ramona »

Seems good.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Eris »

Wen pushes the tavern door open and cycles into the interior. Once inside he pauses inside the door to remove and store his filter mask in the bulky container attached to his belt...and to look around

Taking a few steps inside he says, "Is anyone here waiting for Wen Rodriguez?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Wen pushes the tavern door open and cycles into the interior. Once inside he pauses inside the door to remove and store his filter mask in the bulky container attached to his belt...and to look around

I will be, as soon as I get my character squared away ;)
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Wen pushes the tavern door open and cycles into the interior. Once inside he pauses inside the door to remove and store his filter mask in the bulky container attached to his belt...and to look around

Yep, I'm ready :D

A tall woman with dark skin and blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail stands and walks over to him. She pulls a large duffel bag behind her, and smiles as she approaches. "I helped give you a ride here, and I heard that you're looking for a crew." She extends her hand. "Vee Becker."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Ramona »

OOG - They all left...You have died of dysentery.

Ana holds a hand up and turns her head just enough to look at Wen critically, “Table for Rodriquez over here.”

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Eris »

A tall woman with dark skin and blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail stands and walks over to him. She pulls a large duffel bag behind her, and smiles as she approaches. "I helped give you a ride here, and I heard that you're looking for a crew."She extends her hand. "Vee Becker."
Wen offers his hand smiling back,"I was riding low, so I'm surprised you'd recognize my name. Vee Becker, eh?"
Ana holds a hand up and turns her head just enough to look at Wen critically, “Table for Rodriquez over here.”
Wen nods toward Ana and waves at the bartender who nods to him and points over his right shoulder toward a corridor leading deeper into the tavern.

"I've got a private room for us."Wen says, "If you'd all follow me."

Wen goes down the corridor and into a room with a pair of tables, four chairs around each. He pushes the tables together and says as he sits down at one end of the now rectangular table, "If you'd all take a seat. We'll get started."

My name is Wendell Rodriguez and I own a 200 ton Free Trader by the name of The Mazie Star. As Vee said just a minute ago. I arrived aboard another ship and am looking for a crew.", says Wen.

He continues,"Just a short story...I worked for Turgilu Lines for 20 plus years prior to taking my retirement. I was very pleased that the company awarded me title to a ship upon my retirement rather than a watch or something like that. What they failed to tell me was that the ship in question was two sectors away and a bank repo with a 30 year mortgage hanging over it. It's taking me the better part of a year to get out here, travelling low most of the time."

"I've never been out here in the Wine Dark Sector and know absolutely nothing about the worlds or the conditions in this area. It will be an adventure to see new territory, but first I have to get the ship off this war torn planet!" Wen adds, "I placed advertisements on the local net and posted notices at the Merchant's Guild Hall. I take it you all are also looking to get off this planet and are interested in doing it aboard my ship?

"As you know from the advertisement I am looking for folks interested in forming a Company to trade and travel throughout the Wine Dark." Wen takes several sheets of actual paper from his jacket pocket and starts distributing them around the table, "I've written up some Articles of Agreement that outline how I'd like to organize such a Company. These articles are based on several I've seen used by successful ship board partnerships over years so I don't claim to be inventing anything new."

"Now, as owner of the ship, which I would contribute to the company as my share of the buy in, I'll have a really big stake in its success, so I propose to start off as both Captain and Quartermaster. If, after we get going, you want to vote me out of one or both of those positions, I won't squawk. Actually, once we get going it might be best to separate those two positions. Having all the power and responsibility centered on one person works for the military, but it doesn't seem to work all that great for small trading companies, or so I've been told."

"In any case, look the Articles over and if you agree to them, or want to make revisions before we ratify them, now is the time to discuss it. Oh, and if you could each put a name to your faces, tell us all a little about your background, what shipboard skills you hold Certifications for, and other skills you think might be useful to this venture I think we'd all appreciate it.

The Articles of Agreement are in a separate post.

It's not strictly CT, but for convenience I'm thinking that if you have a Skill of 1+ in a ship skill you'd be Certificated by the Guild, the Military, or somebody so you could "show papers" to potential employers. Skills in things like bribery, streetwise, joat, and combat skills would probably fall into another category. This is, of course, all subject to Frank's agreement.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Wen offers his hand smiling back,"I was riding low, so I'm surprised you'd recognize my name. Vee Becker, eh?"
"Your reputation precedes you, Captain. I recognized your name when I read the passenger manifest."
Eris wrote:"In any case, look the Articles over and if you agree to them, or want to make revisions before we ratify them, now is the time to discuss it. Oh, and if you could each put a name to your faces, tell us all a little about your background, what shipboard skills you hold Certifications for, and other skills you think might be useful to this venture I think we'd all appreciate it.
Vee speaks up. "I hold Class Two Navigator, Class One Medic, and Class One Pilot certificates. My last posting was as a First Officer, but I decided to get out and see the universe a little. This part of it isn't too great, though."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by ffilz »

Yea most skills would have some kind of papers. Streetwise, Forgery, Bribery, J-o-T, Gambling, Brawling and maybe a few others not. Other might or might not provide certificates.

Good backstory too. Not sure of the size of the Imperium or if it uses the 32x40 sectors but two sectors might be from clear on the other side....

Frank

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:"In any case, look the Articles over and if you agree to them, or want to make revisions before we ratify them, now is the time to discuss it. Oh, and if you could each put a name to your faces, tell us all a little about your background, what shipboard skills you hold Certifications for, and other skills you think might be useful to this venture I think we'd all appreciate it.
Vee speaks up. "I hold Class Two Navigator, Class One Medic, and Class One Pilot certificates. My last posting was as a First Officer, but I decided to get out and see the universe a little. This part of it isn't too great, though."
Ana looks over the Articles quickly, boilerplate contractual stuff, probably lifted directly from some starship owners manual for dummies written a handful of centuries earlier.

“Anastasia,” she said in a quiet voice without looking up from the paper at Wen, “or Ana if you prefer, Jones. I possess Imperial certifications in both electronics and administration as well as a heavy duty mechanics ticket. I was, for a very long time, in the direct employ of the Osmium Throne but I am no longer, and the things I did during that employ I am not at liberty to discuss.”

Ana evaluates the other people in the room carefully, moderate to long service professionals, merchants mostly, a scout, capable, eager, invested.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by Ramona »

What’s the plan on gear? Just buy TL-12 or lower stuff or are we goig to RP it?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:What’s the plan on gear? Just buy TL-12 or lower stuff or are we goig to RP it?
Buy TL 12 or lower gear, post your list here and I'll indicate if anything is in short supply or needs RP. You will want to take a peek at my house rules document for additional gear:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YEP ... sp=sharing

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”