Expedition Planning Discussions

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition Planning Discussions

#201 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:There aren't any magic users available, PC or NPC, are there?
Where would you look for NPC magic users? Do you have a Friendly relation there? You can always try to generate one from an NPC group.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Zhym »

The only place I'm aware of that might have NPC magic users is Pierpont's Tower at Frogmorton Ford. Is there somewhere I'm overlooking? I looked at all the settlement subforums.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Marullus »

Pierpont is a solitary wizard, unfortunately.

I'm open to the idea of classed individuals existing in other appropriate groups. Clerics and Fighters have both been recruited from the churches. Thieves have been recruited from the Town Guard. Dwarves from Idmi d’dum.
viewtopic.php?f=356&t=5486#p246571
Other groups require improvement of disposition to reach Friendly, but offer other benefits. Recruiting from the Lumbermen allows bowmen and longbowmen with high dexterity. Recruiting from the churches allows clerics as retainers (no hirelings). Recruiting from the Knights, Rangers, Reapers, or Templars requires being a member but allows recruiting of others as retainers (class options negotiable).
Looking specifically for Magic Users, I'd say your best option would be among the Templars. IC actions have incentivized magic users among their ranks and it is feasible you could find one. The Reapers actively oppose Magic Users. It would also be possible to find Magic Users among the "squires" of the Knights of Baudh, but that would have a penalty, as its less likely.
Marullus wrote:viewtopic.php?f=353&t=5491#p246724
Cultural Views of Magic
  • The previous world ended in magical cataclysm, and displays of powerful magic make most normal people uneasy or outright fearful.
  • Magic is inherent in the world and naturally occurs when souls impact on places and things; most people have seen this low-intensity magic and regard it as normal.
  • Magic Users are considered "willworkers," able to use the same principles and their own potent soul to impose more powerful impacts on the world.
  • Demonology allows impacts on the world through the channeling of extraplanar energy through one's soul, but is tainted to evil by the nature of that energy. Infernal influence is "easy power" for the seduceable and desperate and commonly feared by the population.
  • Gwanwen, who governs the natural balance, defines willworking itself as unnatural and unbalanced. Rural communities therefore often conflate Magic Users and the Infernal as "witches," dealing with them similarly.
  • Baudh, who governs power and law, differentiates and supports willworking Magic Users who use their considerable discipline for the cause of order. Thus, codified Schools of Magic exist in urban settings.
  • Eruanna, who governs truth and mercy, is the tireless foe of all things infernal as they are diametrically opposed to her domain. She differentiates and supports willworking Magic Users who act with their own souls for the cause of good.
  • Elves, by virtue of their innate magic and their attunement to nature itself, generally do not consider their actions to be "willworking" but instead as a natural extension of harmony with the laws of the world. Using magic against the cause of harmony or nature is considered abhorrent among elven culture as a result.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Zhym »

So we could recruit MUs at the Infirmary of Eruanna, or at the Chapel of Baudh at a penalty?

Sort of odd that the churches would be a primary source of NPC magic users. But it's not as if Gaul has a wizard tower or suchlike.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Marullus »

True, but church help is restricted more by purpose than by class. You could get a Templar MU, but your expedition needs to appeal to Templars and you need to earn their trust and interest (Friendly status).

It WOULD be much easier with a Wizard Order, but this is a sandbox. Someone needs to take interest and build towards it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Zhym »

Well, if my wizard comes back rich, maybe he will. ;)

Another small irony: Gwanwen's church is the one most likely to want to deal with an old tomb full of undead, but it's also not keen on magic users.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Marullus »

But man, if you want some guys to indiscriminately take out the red-robed Order of Monoc...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Zhym »

We may not be in great need of an MU anyway. The ability to cast sleep is of limited utility in a tomb full of the undead.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#209 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:...It makes Clay Weatherwax's accusation of Foxy regarding the infernal seem so simple, by comparison. ;)
Hahahaha. Throwing stones in glass houses, are we?

Hey, Bandy didn't accuse anyone of anything. He just told the truth. And he ISN'T thieving. If he was, the party would have never heard a peep about the adamantine bracelet or the armband. And you wouldn't have been the wiser.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by onlyme »

Bluehorse wrote:I can't tell if you guys are really fighting or laughing your asses off! :D
It depends on how the trial verdict goes...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

onlyme wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:I can't tell if you guys are really fighting or laughing your asses off! :D
It depends on how the trial verdict goes...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bremen has defied death enough times that something is due. And he did just sell his soul and probably release a demon. So getting locked up or sent on a penitence mission would be okay, though I am curious to see where his story leads him. I am hoping he grows and is able to right his wrongs. Probably not, though.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Zhym »

I was thinking we might discover that Bremen's possessed. It's going to be disappointing if it turns out he's just like that. :D

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: ... So getting locked up or sent on a penitence mission would be okay,... I am hoping he grows and is able to right his wrongs..
See. that is all Markd was hoping for, to help his friend find his way through the straight and narrow. Just work out a plea deal and be done with the drama :)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah. Bremen is just like that.

And I said I want to seem him grow. Bremen, on the other hand, is convinced he is right. And even if he isn't right, he is in the right. He's just like that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Zhym »

With any luck, maybe the Church of Baudh can apply an attitude adjustment.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:With any luck, maybe the Church of Baudh can apply an attitude adjustment.
Nah. Have you ever met any of them? They are all like that. It's all "We're right because we're in charge and stronger, so you owe us gold. And you owe us gold because you want to be healthy." Bunch of jerks, really. Even that specter in the Tower was insufferable.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Zhym »

Like they're any better than the church of animal and human sacrifices or the church of Truth. :P

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: Nah. Have you ever met any of them? They are all like that. It's all "We're right because we're in charge and stronger, so you owe us gold. And you owe us gold because you want to be healthy." Bunch of jerks, really. Even that specter in the Tower was insufferable.

oooohhh. Thought Police!!! Thought Police!!!.... Citizen's Arrest. Citizen's Arrest!!!!!!!!

See, he is evil!!!!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Stirling »

And yet to account for the 'mercy' killing of Brother Kellstrom.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”