chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#321 Post by hedgeknight »

"Best if we stick together, Salty," Graela replies. "Don't know what we are liable ta find around here. All this blood on the doorposts...what does that mean?" she asks, looking at Travix for answers.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#322 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix strokes his long beard in deep thought.

"Yes, that does seem a bit much to me. It appears to be an offering or an appeasement of some kind. To what, I have no idea."

"These quiet townies have more going on here than they are letting on, I think. This whole place seems a bit off to me. I don't know if it has something to do with what is going on with the critters and the foul magic out in the wild, but it certainly bears some thought. If only someone around here would level with us and be upfront about their fears, we might learn a little more about this strange behavior."

"Lets keep looking around a little as we all make our way to the secret entrance in the cave complex. We might find the answers we seek in that dreadful place."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#323 Post by coil23 »

Within the village you can tell there are people within the buildings from the light seeping out from the cracks in shuttered windows and an occasional thump or quiet clatter of crockery. But it seems quieter than one would expect for people going about their evening routines inside. It is as if people seem to be trying to be quiet which gives the area an air of apprehension.

You are outside but still within the palisade wall of the village. Where do you want to go from here? Hennoth has stayed behind in the shack and is minding the hounds as asked.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Starbeard »

Manred suggests, "What do you say we take a stroll up and down the village and see if there are any other cottages boarded up and abandoned? There might be more than one hidden passage around here. If whatever's creeping around gets in through secret tunnels like the one we found earlier, I'll bet those tunnels are in the houses of the people who have disappeared. Makes sense to me."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#325 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix agrees with the logic of Manred.

"Lead the way, good sir."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, always quick to jump at superstition, is entirely freaked out by the blood and flowers. "Arr, it be ther foulest kinder hoo-doo, hain't it? Blood onner gate-post—tha's askin' somethin' ter pass ye by and go slaughter summmon else's babies. But ther flowers... some flowers be bane, but mos' be enticements—drawin' somethin' in, like a bee ter nectar. Ennybody recognize them flowers?"

The little brown ne'er-do-well begins ticking off flowers: "Lesse... Azael-yers be fer passion, calend-yoo-lers be fer grief, chrys-yanthy-mums be fer wealth, day lilies fer worry, mandrake fer magic, rho-dee-dendruns be a warnin', dill wards evil, mint fer suspicion... it hain't cypress blossoms, be it? Cypress is bad."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by hedgeknight »

Once again, Graela smiles in amazement at Salt Peter's knowledge of things and how he explains it all. Nodding at Manred, she hefts her spear and is ready to move out.
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Pulpatoon »

Lest Graela be too impressed with Salt Peter, he is now trying to to work a thumb up one nostril, his concentration so focused on whatever he hopes to find there that he pokes himself in the eye with an index finger.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#329 Post by coil23 »

The group of four creeps about the village, looking for unoccupied buildings. Judging by light emanating from within and faint noises to discount the buildings lived in, the group finds many that are dark.

Using the map in the spoiler below, use the following key:
red= occupied...except for the tiny red shack (directly against a green shack) against the NW palisade wall. This red shack holds the tunnel you used earlier.
green=dark/silent
yellow=dark/silent...except for the largest building (6, top, center) which is the "great house" you were already in earlier. The great house has light from within. And the yellow shack just north of the west gate is where Hennoth and the hounds wait.

Drumlin map.jpg
Drumlin map.jpg (403.98 KiB) Viewed 640 times

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by hedgeknight »

If I'm looking at the map correctly, there are two yellow bldgs and a green bldg in the NW quadrant which are dark and silent. I say we scope those out first, since we are already on that side of town. Thoughts?
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#331 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I am good with that idea.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Starbeard »

Manred is fine with that idea. When they reach the first place he will listen at and then attempt to push open the front door. "If these doors are boarded up, maybe we can find a window with loose shutters."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#333 Post by coil23 »

The large green building in the NW quadrant is your first stop. The windows are shuttered. The sole door to the large (for this village) edifice is facing south, toward the path through town. Listening at its planks, there is only silence within. While the door is latched, the elf finds it unlocked and the door swings open into darkness.

What is your illumination and from whom?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela peers inside, spear ready, allowing her eyes to adjust to the darkness. If she sees or senses nothing, she will enter with caution, moving swiftly to her left, placing her back against the wall for defensive purposes.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#335 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix looks down at the brown Halfling, still wishing he would have waited for his own magic candles.

"Now might be a good time for those special candles, eh shorty?"

The human waits for the others to fill him in if they see anything. He keeps an eye out behind the group in case anyone else in town is still out and about.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Starbeard »

Manred peers into the dark room with his elven eyes and follows Graela in, taking up a similar position to the right of the door. "It won't do much good sneaking around at night if we have torches blazing away. Magic candles sound like the best option."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#337 Post by coil23 »

The magic candle was bonded with Salt Peter so only his eyes benefit from its illumination. I'll share with everyone what is revealed to him- just remember that it would normally be shared by him with foolish statements and accompanied by one finger firmly up his nose.

Though the building is good-sized for this village, the halfling can see the full room with the candle's light. On the right wall, there is an empty fireplace. No faint smell of charcoal suggests the hearth has not been used for a while. Before it is a table and two chairs and shelves are on either side of the stone hearth. The left side of the room was probably where the occupants' beds were originally. From the few loose timbers, it appears as if they were dismantled and mostly taken away. The entire cabin seems desolate and deathly silent, the only sounds: a few small pats as the candle's wax drips to the wooden floor planks.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Starbeard »

Manred moves into the building. "Any secret passages would be through the floorboards, or maybe under the fireplace."

He checks the floorboards underneath each bed and the table, running his fingers across and pressing on them to check whether any aren't fixed in place.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#339 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix takes a look around inside as well, not able to see much of anything in the darkness. He whispers to his friends as they search.

"If we find nothing of interest here, maybe we should just check out that orc cave instead. At least we know there is a secret door to find out there. I hope."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela watches Manred check the place and nods to Travix. "I'm ready when you are, my friend."
Winter is coming...

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”