OOC Discussion (Session 1 & 2)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#181 Post by Ludanto »

I'm not a player, so maybe I don't have the best perspective, but here's what I think.

Then I wrote a bunch of stuff and deleted it.

I wonder if you're overthinking it. Your Belief might be important, but your Goal is just a to-do list, and your Instinct is just something that you expect to be doing a lot of. Neither is particularly special. Heck, they (can) change every session.

I'd say, don't worry about the character. Think about what you, as the player, would find interesting to work toward as a Goal.

Instinct is a little trickier, but there's nothing that you can do with an Instinct that you can't do without one. It's just a matter of being more efficient at it. Is there some task that you'd like your character to be able to perform without feeling like he's impinging on the party's precious time? Pick that, maybe. I still think mapping in camp is cool.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Maybe update the map at every new.room! That would give you lots of opportunities to be active! (Only half joking there.)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#183 Post by Ludanto »

Unfortunately, mapping (the kind that requires a test) is a camp-only ability.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Marullus »

A Belief to confront evil is as proactive as you can get. It is a matter of wanting to play it.

Find what you WANT to do. What is exciting and fun.

I feel like you made an elf because nobody was an elf and he is a Cartographer because we needed a Cartographer. Redo him so he's exciting to you instead of useful to the group.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

There still might be need for an instinctual trap detector, my Scout works outside, but I think traps in dungeons use Dungeoneering?

On another note, at Level 5 a Strider can gain an animal companion, and a dire wolf is one of the options, hint, hint. If no-one has any objection, and we're able to cook, maybe I might use one of my rations to sweet-talk a wolf.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#186 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, is having a goal of discovering the evil beyond the doors too much along with the belief about confronting evil?

I think I will keep the mapping in camp instinct for now. I should have searched that desk for supplies for mapping...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#187 Post by Ludanto »

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can change it next session.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by ffilz »

Ludanto wrote:Give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can change it next session.
I just wasn't sure if that was sort of double dipping.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Skyfall...
Sorry, moving jokes to here. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I love those trailers! :lol:

Double dipping your BIGs isn't against the rules, and it helps streamlining role playing (since your character can focus in one or two directions only), and it helps to achieve them, since they all align. For what it is worth, that is what I just did with Rabon's BIGs for this session: Belief is that he needs treasure; Instinct is to search for it; Goal is to find it.

Maybe have Galen's Belief be that evil should be confronted,and his Goal would be to vanquish it instead? That makes his overarching Belief broader than his Goal? Just a thought.

Also: I was thinking of relieving hungry/thirsty with my wine flask, then realized it adds +1D against the Angry condition. Can it do both at the same time? I don't think it can, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#191 Post by Ludanto »

Just confirming that yes (in my game at least), wine will do both, but you'll have to wait until camp recovery to drink it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#192 Post by ffilz »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I love those trailers! :lol:

Double dipping your BIGs isn't against the rules, and it helps streamlining role playing (since your character can focus in one or two directions only), and it helps to achieve them, since they all align. For what it is worth, that is what I just did with Rabon's BIGs for this session: Belief is that he needs treasure; Instinct is to search for it; Goal is to find it.

Maybe have Galen's Belief be that evil should be confronted,and his Goal would be to vanquish it instead? That makes his overarching Belief broader than his Goal? Just a thought.
Good thought, goal updated.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Marullus »

Allric's new goal is "frown like Judy Densch." ;)

I was waiting until we got to look at that book to set my goal, hoping it would present a lead to pursue. Of we now are waiting for camp to study it, I need something else. He got the mushrooms so that's done. I thought of making his goal to be inspecting their properties but I would prefer something focused to adventure phase instead of camp. Thoughts?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by Ludanto »

Find (other) artifacts of historical significance?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Find (other) artifacts of historical significance?
Okay. If that's a reasonable option, it works for Allric. He's curious.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#196 Post by Ludanto »

No guaranteeeeees!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ludanto wrote:No guaranteeeeees!
There is no guarantee that they are there at all, or that he will find them? if it is the former, then it is a silly goal to take, because it might be unattainable. If that latter, well... that is a given, isn't it?

@ ffilz: Glad I could help! :)

Also: I have updated my BIGs:
BELIEF: I must acquire wealth so that I can ensure that I will live comfortably.
GOAL: I will take what I can of value from this dwarf hold
INSTINCT: Always check for treasure when leaving an area.

Belief is about the same, but now one sentence and makes it seem like he has to find wealth at all costs. More of what i had intended, and more easily tested. And it gives him the opportunity to grow into his namesake.
Instinct just ties in with the Belief and Goal a bit better, streamlining his personality.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#198 Post by jhrrsn »

Looking good! I've also tweaked my BIGs:

BELIEF: Other people's problems are their own. I have a grudge to avenge.
GOAL: I will find something of value in this godforsaken place.
INSTINCT: Always try and mend things when we camp.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#199 Post by Ludanto »

By the way, as of the moment where Rabon starts searching the armory, the only light is one turn of Fireflies.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#200 Post by ffilz »

How do lanterns work with camp?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”